RSS Feed Print
acceptance
jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, December 8, 2018 11:26 AM

By definition it is a person's assent to the reality of a situation, recognizing a process or condition (often a negative or uncomfortable situation) without attempting to change it or protest it. 

It is an active process. It must be practiced. Remember that "accept" is a verb. It's an active process, one that must be practiced consciously. It's rare that we one day choose to accept our emotional or physical pain, our bodies, our difficult relationships, or our pasts, and never think about it again.

ruthmendez
Posted: Saturday, December 8, 2018 1:52 PM

jfkoc wrote:

It is an active process. It must be practiced. Remember that "accept" is a verb. It's an active process, one that must be practiced consciously. ...

It's interesting you brought this up, because recently I wondered what happened to my attitude.  I thought I had already accepted, then suddenly my emotions change again.  Then I realize, there is a new something I have to get used to....then I have to learn to accept once again.  
First it was getting used to my father's changes, then realizing my life had to change too....but with each new stage, it repeats again.  

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, December 8, 2018 2:10 PM

I had similar feelings...how to constantly change was hard. One thing that did help me was to "try" to have no expectations.

Having no expectations has been hard but saved me a lot of times.

Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, February 1, 2019 11:36 PM

jfkoc wrote:

I had similar feelings...how to constantly change was hard. One thing that did help me was to "try" to have no expectations.

Having no expectations has been hard but saved me a lot of times.

It's easier. When you define your expectations after the fact. --Jim

chrisp1653
Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2019 4:27 PM

The great thing about having no expectations, or defining them after the fact, is that you never find yourself moving backwards, but only forwards. In effect, you redefine your limits to the point of having no limits. There is literally nothing that I cannot do, since there is no set of boundaries  keeping me in, or out, as the case may be.
Space within
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2019 9:16 PM

thank you for sharing this. Many times I try to remember to "accept" things /people as they are in that moment.   It is certainly a work in process... and I feel a lifelong journey.
knitspin
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2019 5:06 PM

Thank you for this discussion! Our new “normal” is such a moving target, changing moment-by-moment some days and I find it very hard to keep up, given frequent sleep interruptions
chrisp1653
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:16 PM

Probably the two most difficult things for me are :

1. Interruptum somnum. I am a cranky old bugger when I have to wake suddenly and fly out of the bed.

2. Anytime I am rushing to get Barbara's Depends pulled down so I can seat her on the commode, and she says, " It's coming ! "

Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 9:33 PM

jfkoc wrote:

By definition it is a person's assent to the reality of a situation, recognizing a process or condition (often a negative or uncomfortable situation) without attempting to change it or protest it. 

It is an active process. It must be practiced. Remember that "accept" is a verb. It's an active process, one that must be practiced consciously. It's rare that we one day choose to accept our emotional or physical pain, our bodies, our difficult relationships, or our pasts, and never think about it again.

Does one have a choice over one's fate? --Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 9:36 PM

Not a believer in fate so can not answer.