RSS Feed Print
Rising above the fray.
Jim Broede
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 10:18 AM

Unconventional. Unorthodox. Wayward. Some of my favorite words. In my unending search. For what life is all about. Yes. Yes. I’m looking for meaning. And in the process. I’m not afraid.  To be different. To be unique. To be one of a kind. Unlike others. I don’t have to blend. Maybe it’s my way. Of rising above the fray. --Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 12:21 PM

OK, with all of this thinking have you come to a possible idea regarding the purpose of your life...your life goal currently and how it differs from the past. Perhaps you have no other goal other than to keep thinking.

This is an invitation to a conversation with you and others.

Jim Broede
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 10:31 PM

Here’s what may be the philosophic difference. Between a liberal and a conservative. The conservative wants to know where he’s at. In any given moment. He wants a well-defined and orderly base. Especially, In political and religious matters. In life as a whole, too. That gives him a sense of security. Knowing. Knowing where he’s at. At all times. He doesn’t like to be on the move. A liberal, meanwhile, is in constant motion. And it’s not imperative. To know where he’s at. Because tomorrow. He’ll already have progressed. To another location in the universe. That doesn’t scare a liberal. Like it would a conservative. A liberal accepts the uncertainty of life.  Because life is evolving. We aren’t the same person we were  last week or last month or last year. Yes, it’s best to adjust. To a changing world. And to a changing self. Because of one’s life experiences. I gleaned all this. In large part. From my philosophic readings. With the greatest impact. Coming from the 20th Century Jewish philosopher Martin Buber. Are any of you acquainted with Buber? He was born in 1878. Died in 1965.  He’s worth reading. --Jim

ruthmendez
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2018 9:33 PM

I'm still searching for my purpose! Maybe I'll never have one!
Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2018 11:21 PM

ruthmendez wrote:
I'm still searching for my purpose! Maybe I'll never have one!

I have a suggested purpose. For you, Ruth. Simply be you. --Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2018 8:56 AM

or pragmatist vs peter pan

the thing about peter pans is that they are like a quarterback...they depend on a lot of people  and often do not recognize the fact

ruthmendez
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2018 12:45 PM

But, I like Peter Pan.  As a matter of fact, one of my favorite Disney World rides is THIS! (1 minute into the video, the flight begins!)>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLBPvABpQXQ

It's so awesome.  I love it so much, when my nephew was a child, I forced him to go into the ride with me so no one would realize the trip was really for me.  He was scared of everything back then.  He didn't even like Small World.

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2018 2:42 PM

I was married to Peter Pan. I loved it but it meant that I had to clear the field for him. It was a good match.
ruthmendez
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2018 2:45 PM

Wait, Judith, don't you get the feeling most men are kinda like that?  Peter Pans....

Joking guys!  Just joking...

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2018 6:23 PM

Well, comparing my husband to the other men I have as friends, friends husbands ot worked with I would say no.
Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2018 6:53 PM

Jim Broede wrote:

To know where he’s at. Because tomorrow. He’ll already have progressed. To another location in the universe. That doesn’t scare a liberal. Like it would a conservative. A liberal accepts the uncertainty of life.  Because life is evolving. 

Jim, I don't think conservatives are scared.  I don't know any who are scared.
Iris L.

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2018 8:16 PM

How do I say that the best contestant from Spain for Miss Universe started life and no one knew they were female?

??????

ruthmendez
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2018 8:23 PM

Angela Ponce?  I'll be honest, I would be a bit jealous if I was running for Missy Uni and didn't win, but Angie did.
ruthmendez
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2018 8:24 PM

I'm too short anyway....darn.
Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2018 12:55 AM

Don't know if I have any hard and fast rules to live by. I'm flexible. Constantly adjusting. To changing situations. --Jim
jfkoc
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2018 9:05 AM

There is a real pattern here. One member frequently posts  a response that is obviously aimed at creating a "stir" at the very least. It is usually negatively critical. Then it is self deleted. 

Underdog
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2018 9:58 AM

Not so much trying to "create a stir" but giving in and taking the bait from a practiced baiter who loves setting up conservatives.

I then feel remorse and delete.

Sorry if it offends you.

I will again point out that I NEVER start the "frays". It's always the same 'protected' person who starts the "frays" and "stirs".

How about I leave this one up to remind you I NEVER start the "frays" or "stirs".

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2018 10:12 AM

In no way do you offend me so no need to apologize but thank you. I would welcome a personal discussion. Would you accept?
jfkoc
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2018 1:49 PM

No, I would defer to you as the one who delights in creating the topic knowing it will lead to being a fray to then be above. Now you know this to be true.
Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2018 4:36 PM

jfkoc wrote:
No, I would defer to you as the one who delights in creating the topic knowing it will lead to being a fray to then be above. Now you know this to be true.

No, I don't know that to be true, Judith. Maybe I have a problem. And don't know it. Are you trying to help me see myself? I would like a world in which we all truly see ourselves. --Jim

;

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2018 12:48 AM

Iris L. wrote:
Jim Broede wrote:

To know where he’s at. Because tomorrow. He’ll already have progressed. To another location in the universe. That doesn’t scare a liberal. Like it would a conservative. A liberal accepts the uncertainty of life.  Because life is evolving. 

Jim, I don't think conservatives are scared.  I don't know any who are scared.

Iris L.

I know scores of scared people. In all walks of life. Conservatives and liberals. Indeed, it's a scary world. Watch out. For what's hiding around the corner. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2018 9:04 AM

jfkoc wrote:

OK, with all of this thinking have you come to a possible idea regarding the purpose of your life...your life goal currently and how it differs from the past. Perhaps you have no other goal other than to keep thinking.

This is an invitation to a conversation with you and others.

Does anyone have a solid purpose? Other than being reasonably functional. Self-reliant. Able to cope. With the rigors and pleasures of life. The ups and downs. To make sense of it all. On a daily basis. Often. It comes down. To living one day at a time. Making the best of it. With or without a grand scheme. That occasionally pulls it all together. On any given day. My mood. May dictate my purpose. My activity. Whether I am serious. Or not so serious. I’m a chameleon. Ever-changing. Trying to be me. Defining and redefining myself. Sometimes in whimsical fashion.  Some days. I know who I am. Other times, I have no clue. --Jim

ALZConnected Moderator
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2018 9:42 AM

This thread has been modified by the Moderator.

A post has been removed from this thread that violated the ALZConnected Guidelines. 

This modification may have an impact on subsequent responses to the removed post. 

Members affected by this modification will be notified by email.

Thank you,

ALZConnected Moderator