RSS Feed Print
Crazy. But not insane.
Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 4:29 PM

One of my favorite philosophers. Friedrich Nietzsche. Went insane. By the time he turned 45. Makes me wonder. If he did too much philosophizing. He was in constant search of truth. Maybe he found it. And it was too much to take. Could be. That sane people.  Stay sane. By  wisely avoiding the truth. I speculate. That Nietzsche did far too much thinking. No respite. Nietzsche once considered becoming a gardener.  That’s a pursuit. That might have saved his mind and soul. I’m an avid gardener. Don’t want to make the same mistake as Nietzsche. I’ll settle for being a little bit crazy.  But not insane. --Jim

Underdog
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 5:38 PM

It was thought that he died from syphilis he caught from prostitutes. They say he had dementia.

Makes sense considering his writings.

Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2019 7:41 PM

I wonder if there's a thin line between genius and insanity. A genius gets to know too much. And thereby drifts into insanity. As a natural born nitwit, I won't have to worry about that. Gives me peace of mind. --Jim
Underdog
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 1:28 AM

I don't think it takes a genius to catch diseases from prostitutes.

I think that's reflected in his writings.

He was not the sharpest knife in the kitchen drawer that had only one knife.

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 9:12 AM

There’s significant dispute. Over what caused Nietzsche’s drift into insanity. Everything from a promiscuous lifestyle to a brain tumor to latent genes inherited from his father to a rare form of dementia. No doubt about it. Nietzsche was an interesting historical character. With a rambunctious personality and stimulating philosophical bent. Taken and interpreted in far-ranging ways.  Nietzsche has both admirers and detractors. I like it -- that he stirred the philosophical pot. And  gave us so many things to think about.  Still does. Since his death in 1900.  Indeed, a fascinating and brilliant fellow. I would liked to have known him. Before the insanity. For clues. Of what it was. That pushed him over the edge. My speculation. Perhaps he probed too deeply.  For the truth.  Better. If he had savored life. As a simple gardener. -Jim

Underdog
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 11:56 AM

So it was the depravity and the abuse of women that was admirable?

And to know he was that way while sane?

Eeewww.

To call rape "rambunctious" is a stretch.

I guess to somebody unenlightened.

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 1:08 PM

Philosophical objectivity is not everyone's forte. --Jim
Underdog
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 6:17 PM

Certainly not Nietzsche's. Thanks for finally taking my side.
Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 7:04 PM

Underdog wrote:

Why is it so  important that I, or anyone, take your side? It really shouldn’t matter. Usually, there are many sides to an issue. Especially in philosophical matters. Often, there is no clear-cut wrong side or clear-cut right side.  It’s merely a side. One’s particular perspective. Meant for others to take it or leave it. No big deal. Do you want to divide everything in life into right and wrong? What’s right for you may be wrong for me. Depends on our individual circumstances and our values. We can’t get unanimity on everything. We have to learn to tolerate different points of view. Better in a friendly rather than hostile manner. Some people love Nietzsche. Others hate him.  Still others, could care less. I like Nietzsche. And you don’t. So what? --Jim

Underdog
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 7:54 PM

I guess because people like him pervert the thoughts of so many and cause so much misery and pain.

If nothing matters, why does what I say matter to you?

Ignore it the way you want me to.

Or do your philosophies and standards only apply to other people?

Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 1:10 AM

Nietzsche doesn't cause misery and pain for me. Or for lots of other people. He's a breath of fresh air. He reaches me. In nice ways. He was a genius. Until he went insane. Don't hold that against him. We're all a little bit crazy. Meanwhile, let's learn to be a little bit forgiving and accepting of each other.  We all don't have to think alike.  I certainly wouldn't want to live with my clone. One thing I like most about you, Underdog, is that you don't think like me. That's good. For both of us. I don't want to be like you. And you don't want to be like me, Now it would be nice if we learn to accept each other.  Graciously.  Despite our differences. --Jim
Underdog
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 1:48 AM

Please please please be forgiving of me and my opinions. Please accept me graciously despite our differences.

Oh yeah, the standards are only for me, not you.

Learn hypocrisy from Nietzsche? He would be the perfect philosopher for hypocrisy.

Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 9:14 AM

We have to learn to accept each other. Despite our hypocritical faults. We all have flaws. But we all have redeeming traits, too The best of us know how to forgive and understand each other.  Despite our differences. We set aside judgmental verdicts. And learn to savor life and each other. We literally fall in love. And that pulls us through.  In the end. No need to be angry. That’s one thing Nietzsche taught me. In a round-about way.  --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 9:22 AM

Underdog wrote:

Really. I'm taking the side of  humanity. And goodwill. --Jim

Underdog
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 10:44 AM

Then please stop being angry with me.

It is NOT goodwill to promote people that degrade women.

Prostitutes are there because of coercion and drug use and abuse.

Anyone who participates and gains admiration while participating in such activities should be exposed for the ANTI-HUMANITY stance that they take.

Degrading women just because they are prostitutes is NOT humanity. That you think it is chills me to the bone.

Please stop being angry for my opinion.

w/e
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 12:08 PM

I wonder which is it?

A meow? A purr? A hiss?

Bodies. Ears. Eyes. At the ready. Sniffing each other. Getting used to one another.

Hopefully, giving each other enough space. To visit, comfortably, together.

Some-what. Some-how. Some-when.

Love you both, my cat lovers.

Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 12:55 PM

I love the intricacies of life. Which means I have no enemies. I love everyone. Friend and would-be foe alike. I have no anger. I am at peace. What more can I say to set the record straight?  I'm immersed in love. At this very moment. Life is intricate. But also blissful. It's possible to love it all. To be grateful for the gift of life. --Jim
Underdog
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 12:57 PM

So glad to hear you've finally seen the value of Trump.
Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 1:01 PM

I see remnants of value in everything. Nobody is a totally lost cause. --Jim
jfkoc
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 1:18 PM

I do not see a world of love. I am angered by many things that matter to me.

There are more things that I have no tolerance for. 

Do people have reasons for their beliefs? I think so but are they derived from simple absorption or intellectual research? 

What are the roots of my belief system? Are they based in reality...fear? What makes me me? Am I able to  explain the whys of what I believe? I think so and I think that I am open to having them dispelled by learning from what others have to say.

Underdog
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 6:07 AM

Hooray, we've made incredible progress!!
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 10:54 AM

jfkoc wrote:

I do not see a world of love. I am angered by many things that matter to me.

There are more things that I have no tolerance for. 

Do people have reasons for their beliefs? I think so but are they derived from simple absorption or intellectual research? 

What are the roots of my belief system? Are they based in reality...fear? What makes me me? Am I able to  explain the whys of what I believe? I think so and I think that I am open to having them dispelled by learning from what others have to say.

You sum it up quite well. Seems like you know yourself. And that you approach life with an open mind. Nice. Nice. Nice. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 11:09 AM

Can't say that I approach life with a completely open mind. Wonder if anyone does. I'm willing to admit it. Life is a constant search for an elusive truth. That happens. When one questions everything. Always. Always. There's another unanswered question. An iota of doubt. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 11:35 AM

Wish I could be nice all the time. But at the very best. I achieve nice only 88 percent of the time. It's that elusive 12 percent that does me in. --Jim
ruthmendez
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 12:19 PM

Jim Broede wrote:
Wish I could be nice all the time. But at the very best. I achieve nice only 88 percent of the time. It's that elusive 12 percent that does me in. --Jim

I think it's the 88% that does you in. 

HA!

chrisp1653
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 4:22 PM

Just imagine the mathematical genius needed to build the algorithm necessary for determining those percentages ! It fair staggers the mind, it does.

Related image