RSS Feed Print
MRI
jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 1:20 PM

I had a panic attack and had to stop....thought i would start screaming....help
ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 3:34 PM

Oh cr@p....any medication you tried beforehand?
MissHer
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 3:54 PM

They offer an anxiety med here. I was tough (I thought) and turned it down. (HA) I left,too. Next appointment took the pill but I was already higher then a kite after three days of pain pills for migraine headaches. lol
Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 5:43 PM

I'm sorry you had a panic attack.  I hope you're feeling better now.

Iris

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 9:40 AM

I was successful with two previous screenings. I did take something then. This was an "open" MRI that  my daughter said was a piece of cake.
I was quite rattled by the experience and by the fact that I was so out of control. I mean really rattled. You know the feeling when all of a sudden you realize that you are incapable of rising to the occasion.

Anyway, I came home and had a wee bit of the tippsy water (Gin) from my freezer and got pulled together.

What came to mind was that I no longer had a wing man so I cried for a while. Still a little teary.

Reflecting, I think I would have been OK with a more "user friendly" screener. I do remember the other screeners kind of talking to me through the process.

Jo C.
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 12:08 PM

Oh Judith, I am truly so very sorry this happened and from experience, I know what that feels like.  You are absolutely not alone in what happened; so many people have had similar experiences even in an open MRI. Even physcians have had that dreadful experience.

Here I am; an RN with a whole lot of experience in acute medical centers and two Master's Degrees.  I tend to be a logical thinker and am not taken  to flights of fancy on important matters and am one of those people who are not afraid of much at all.    I have in earlier years had a couple of CT Scans with no problems.

Well . . . . an MRI was ordered for me some years ago; no problem,  I went to the med center and got up on the  table for my MRI . . . . . the table moved me into the machine tube . . . . no problem; I was perfectly fine and did not anticipate anything being amiss.

Suddenly, the voice of the machine tech came into the room asking me, "Mrs. X, can you please hold very still please?"   I wondered what he meant, I WAS holding still and told him so.

"No; your body is moving a bit," he replied.  I suddenly realized I was having some very fine shakes up and down my body and then came the feeling . . . . "Get me out of here NOW!"

They slid me back out of the narrow tube. I apologized for my lapse, got off the table and thought, "How weird," I knew that nothing was invasive, nothing touched me,  nothing could hurt me; I could not believe such a thing happened.   Illogical for sure.  I was absolutey fine and ready to go.

So; I climbed back up on the moving table and said I was fine and ready . . . . into the tube the table slid again . . . . AND this time, in a very few seconds, it was :  "GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!"

I climbed off the table, shaken and embarrassed.  Needless to say, they cancelled the procedure.   I could not believe that had happened to me.  I did not expect it whatsoever.

So . . . . I did not have to have the procedure, and that was a good thing. I felt truly foolish.

If I ever need a procedure like that again, whether it is an open or closed MRI< I would probably ask for something to relax me.

Some people after having just one such an experience will have a similar outcome secondary to memory of being so traumatized by the first experience.   Even in an open MRI.

I have a friend who is an RN and she has such a reaction and is ordinarily not claustrophobic; but she actually has to be put right asleep for an MRI.

So . . . . relaxation medication and even conscious sedation is an option if the test is important and MUST be done.

Just one more thing and we are human.  In some, the brain is wired for fright and/or flight when closed in with no way out.  I am now senstiized to that.  Would rather not be, but there it is anyway.

Glad your freezer had a friendly remedy waiting for you when you got home.   What I would like would be those little diagnostic wands they pass over the body from head to toe on Star Trek and it tells all and diagnostics on all systems all within a second.  Sigh . . . .

Glad you are okay, and am again so sorry that happened and that you felt so lonely; hopefully it will not have to be repeated, but if so . . . . meds please.

J.

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 1:28 PM

Thanks Jo!
Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 5:15 PM

MRI. No sweat. Put a blood pressure cuff on me. And begin pumping. High anxiety. For no earthly reason. It’s called the white coat syndrome.  Haven’t yet learned to fully relax. In a doctor’s office. Anyone in a white coat scares me. I have to imagine. That my cat. Marcello is sitting on my lap. We both begin to purr.  My BP plummets. Try taking a cat. Real or imaginary. In the MRI. With you.  Perched on your tummy. Biofeedback works wonders. --Jim

mr.mac52
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2019 3:11 PM

I am a claustrophobic and I found a way for me to tolerate being inside a MRI machine.

I request a O₂ supply and if I can, I don't use the nasal cannula but hold the tube in my hand in a way I can direct the supply of O₂ over my face.  For me this means going in with my right arm flexed so my hand is close to my face.

This works for me getting a brain MRI.  For any other part of my body, it may not.

John

chrisp1653
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2019 6:46 PM

If you'd have asked me some years ago, I would have flatly denied that I had any kind of phobia, especially climbing on roofs, since as a boy,  running around on the flat roof of our two story house was one of my favorite pastimes. Right up to the edge and looking down - no problem. Then came the day my dad asked me to help my brother put up Christmas lights. I scampered up the ladder, climbed onto his peaked roof, and promptly sat down. I was overcome with the feeling that I was going to fall off - even sitting didn't feel safe. Once on the ground again, I was fine, but what a feeling ! Another issue I found with adulthood is my fear of riding in a convertible . One time only, and never again for as long as I live ! I could literally feel the sky pulling at me, and no seat belt was going to stop it.

I wonder if taking some kind of pill would be a good idea for combating these phobias ? Lol !

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2019 6:49 PM

Thanks all.

John, interesting. My son said to have them put a fan on me.

I went to the surgeons yesterday. Rotator cuff verified w/o MRI. Going with some Naperson and therapy. Shot if I want.

Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, March 2, 2019 3:51 AM

jfkoc wrote:

Thanks all.

John, interesting. My son said to have them put a fan on me.

I went to the surgeons yesterday. Rotator cuff verified w/o MRI. Going with some Naperson and therapy. Shot if I want.

Exercise with big rubber bands. Fixed my rotator cuff. See a physical therapist. For details. And don't lift stuff above your head. For awhile. --  Helpful Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, March 2, 2019 8:36 AM

thanks....