RSS Feed Print
ID bracelet(1)
Marie58
Posted: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 11:12 PM

I'm thinking of getting an ID bracelet for DH. Any suggestions on type, what to have engraved on it, etc?
Mike&BrendaTX
Posted: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 11:29 PM

Probably name and emergency phone number at a minimum?

Mike

Mrs. O
Posted: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 11:53 PM

Do you have a local Alz. Assoc. Chapter nearby?  I think that you can order ID bracelets from them, and they would be readily recognized by emergency/police personnel.
Laura57
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2019 12:15 AM

I bought one for my husband from here: https://www.laurenshope.com/

He still wears it, along with the ID bracelet from the memory care facility he is in now. Put his name, any medical info the would be important for emergency people to know, like diabetes, dementia, seizures, etc, and one or two emergency numbers to call, like you and another family member. 

Ed1937
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2019 5:34 AM

Just a tip for someone who might balk at wearing a bracelet. My mother-in-law grew up during the depression, and I've always heard that many people who grew up during that time were very aware about living with little money. Hard times. We got a bracelet from our local law enforcement, but she refused to wear it until we told her there was a promotion put on by a local business who would pick out a certain bracelet ID weekly to win $100.00. We then had a neighbor tell my wife, in front of her mother so she could hear, about a friend she knew who won that particular week. She never took that bracelet off after that.
feudman
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2019 6:09 AM

As Mrs. O suggests, please contact your nearest Alz. Assn. Mine currently supplies bracelets at no charge through a grant.

If your LO objects to wearing a typical bracelet, I learned that the hospital type plastic ones last for many months and are more comfortable. I got some from the hospital after her original finally broke.

However, the one & only time she got lost & was taken by police to the hospital (the same one that had affixed the bracelet) they never noticed it under her sleeve (!!!) Plenty of red faces when I showed it to them, just a few inches above her fresh "Jane Doe" one. (Police never looked for it either.)

Please also consider a bracelet for yourself...how long would your LO be alone if something happened to you? Give their location & whatever info necessary to provide for their care.

John1965
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2019 6:44 AM

Are there any alternatives to these IDs? There is no way I would get one for my wife at her current stage. It would be a constant reminder to her of her disease which would make her perpetually sad and therefore even harder to live with. 

Also, is there any research regarding the efficacy of the IDs, or is it just a common sense “return to sender” label? 

I certainly see the potential benefits of my wife having the ID bracelet, but there’s definitely a cost/benefit calculation that so far has risk>reward. I guess (know) that her awareness will eventually diminish and risk increase to flip this  inequality. 

Carolyn613
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2019 7:32 AM

Laura57 wrote:

I bought one for my husband from here: https://www.laurenshope.com/

He still wears it, along with the ID bracelet from the memory care facility he is in now. Put his name, any medical info the would be important for emergency people to know, like diabetes, dementia, seizures, etc, and one or two emergency numbers to call, like you and another family member. 

I bought one from them for myself. Yes, myself. They recommend that people do so. Why? Think about it: What if something happens to you? Then who will be able to take care of your PWD? I had engraved on it "Alzheimer's caregiver".

The bracelet is very pretty. I actually received compliments on it, from people who thought it was just another piece of jewelry. (I do not need to wear it anymore, sadly.) The company offers many styles, and also makes suggestions about what info to put on the bracelets.

Seasons In The Sun
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2019 8:18 AM

I have a medical ID bracelet for my DW. have had it long before she was unable to walk . Listed Alzheimers- ICE ( In Case Of Emergency ) My name & number (Cell ) & daughters name & cell number as 2nd ICE.  Also have one for myself stating CAREGIVER with ICE number for my daughter in case something happened to me. 

I choose the plain SS with a red medical alert symbol . Wasn't interested in a fashion statement. have been at different functions where people have noticed but also have had met & hospital ER staff that didn't.  Still gives me some peace of mind though. Do a search online and you will find a number of providers.

Best wishes

Gwen&Rob
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2019 9:24 AM

Wouldn't it be great to have an ID bracelet with GPS tracking, just in case?

Javier1943
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2019 9:46 AM

I'm in the same situation and consider the cost/benefit issue as well.  I'm most afraid of losing my wife in the airport and so far she has agreed to wear a passport pouch around her neck with emergency info in it.  Of course it's possible or likely that no one will think to look there!  This is a real tough one for early stage people. At the moment I'm focussing on the high-risk environments like airports.  I always go with her on walks, so there is (so far) little risk of wandering.
JoseyWales
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2019 5:57 PM

My husband asked for a bracelet. He's worried that he'll get lost and then not be able to explain what he needs. He's very aware of his limitations.

I got a medical alert bracelet that is recommended by the alzheimer's association.

DH won't wear it. He says he'll wear it when he gets worse. We'll be going on vacation in a month and I'll demand he wear it then. He doesn't even know our home phone number anymore, and I'm afraid that when he's stressed he may forget my name.

Crushed
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2019 6:02 PM

We had matching Dogtags. If I wore mine She wore hers.
Lills
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2019 9:03 PM

I ordered a ID bracelet last week for my DH.  He smiled as he put it on...and then went into the bathroom and cut it in half (silicon kind).
jb crick
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2019 11:01 PM

https://www.medicalert.org/

I got a medic alert bracelet for my wife. I also got one for myself (later on I got a neckless for me). The bracelet for her had her name and stated she had memory problems. The latch was made in a way that she could not undo it by herself.

The one for me stated that I was a care giver for her, identifying her be her MedicAlert ID only. I felt that at my age I could have an issue and not be able to tell anyone I was responsible for someone who could not care for themself. Any first responder would know to call the 800 number on the tag and get all vital stats, address, meds, picture, emergency contact info, etc. on either one of us within minutes.

The bracelets start as low as $10. The service is inexpensive and renewable annually. Here is the plan info:

https://www.medicalert.org/memberships

Alzheimer’s Association also has a plan called MedicAlert+SafeReturn. Here is the web info:

https://www.alz.org/help-support/caregiving/safety/medicalert-safe-return

Marie58
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2019 10:31 AM

Thank you everyone for all your replies. I think I will get one for DH and one for me also.

I love this forum because everyone so willingly shares their expertise!

Blessings!

Bevy
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2019 5:28 PM

We use the Safe Return medic alert bracelets. He can not remove his. It almost requires another person to put them on and remove them. We each have our own member number and an annual fee, but it is well worth the peace of mind. There is an 800 number on them that has all of the information you have provided about you being the caregiver for him/her, medical information about both of you and contact numbers to reach your family members or whomever you want to list.

Also, advise local law enforcement agencies in case there is an emergency.

eaglemom
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 12:13 PM

I don't think you'll ever go wrong with the Safe Return Medic Alert bracelets. BONUS - the bracelets are 25% off through the end of the month. 

eagle

SpruceBruce
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 9:38 PM

I ordered one for Ann on Amazon.  It can not be removed. 

It reads:

I'm Ann Williams

I have Alzhiemer's

call xxx-xxx-7378
Keep me safe for I am loved.

Rescue mom
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 9:59 AM

Some made a point that is good, I think, and I do face-slap for not thinking about it sooner. I got an ID for ME that tells people who to call in case of emergency—not home or DH because he has AD and can’t do anything to help.
eaglemom
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 10:02 AM

As I've stated before, our LO's having some form of ID is really critical, IMO. I know not everyone wants to wear them, I get that. How I broached it was that we both wear our wedding rings and now we both GET TO wear these bracelets. I realize that won't help everyone but its important for both of you to have some form of ID on at all times.

On DH's I have to notify me - and cell number, not home number. On mine I have a dear friends number. She has all of my legal information and forms. 

To me this is basic insurance. You hope you never have to use it, but if you do your certainly glad you had it in place.

eagle