RSS Feed Print
hubby pooped in the shower this morning
elainechem
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2019 9:16 AM

First time. He hadn't shown any signs of fecal incontinence before. I was sitting on the bed when I heard the water stop. I walked over and immediately noticed that the bathroom was flooded. When I looked in the shower... oops! Meanwhile, he was standing in the icky puddle calmly toweling himself off, completely unaware of what had happened.

So, I just spent some time washing the towels that I had used to absorb the water and mopping the bathroom floor - all in my nightgown. From now on, I'll sit him on the toilet before he gets in the shower. I can't think of any way to stop it while he's in the shower.

LizzieC
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2019 9:24 AM

Elaine,

Oh no, what a horrible way to start your day.  I was just thinking about you early this morning, wondering how it was going with the urinary incontinence problem...and now this!  This will be one of  those "events" that won't be forgotten.  Hope the rest of your day is better.

elainechem
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2019 9:29 AM

There haven't been further signs of urinary incontinence. I certainly wasn't expecting this.
tcrosse
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2019 11:32 AM

DW pooped the bed last night, for the first time. I didn't even realize it until morning. No urinary incontinence as yet. A preview of coming attractions ?
abc123
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2019 12:11 PM

Elaine, I’m sorry! I hope your day and his day gets better!
Beachfan
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2019 12:43 PM

Elaine!!!! Don’t despair.  DH messed in the shower twice, so long ago I can’t pinpoint time.  (4 years- maybe longer?).  It was around the same time I had to start adjusting shower temp, monitoring bathing, turning off water, etc.  Started to make sure he used the toilet before the shower, still do.  He is NOT incontinent, but could easily have urine or fecal messes daily, if I didn’t watch him like a hawk.  Cannot always find the bathroom; needs total physical assistance once there.  I maintain that incontinence happens when PWD no longer realizes they have to “go” or can’t “hold it”. (As tcrosse reported.) We are not there yet. 24/7 eagle eye surveillance is annoying, but for now, it’s working.  Good luck.  This, too, shall pass ( and hopefully not get worse).
Ed1937
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2019 12:56 PM

What a way to start a day! Sorry you had this to contend with this morning. I hope things take a turn for the better.
Mimi2
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2019 7:48 PM

Oh bless your heart and probably without your morning coffee too!  No this hasn’t happened to us ...yet.  I too have him sit on the toilet before taking his shower hoping he has a BM.  When I read this all I could think of was I would have needed my cup of coffee before tackling that mess.
lvcatlvr
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2019 11:16 PM

I am so sorry to hear this. It is not a good way to start the day. At least he does take showers!!! I have battles with my DH with that. And I just have to say that your cat is absolutely beautiful. Take care.
Mrs. O
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 1:00 AM

I hear you. My DH would get in the shower purposefully to help him poo when he was terribly constipated. He felt that the warm water relaxed him and helped the process. We have not had this problem since I got his terrible constipation under control with Miralax (or the Costco version- which is $10.00 cheaper per 2-pack). DH did urinate into the shower last week when he got up in the middle of the night to pee. Gotta follow him every time now. Good thing I’m a light sleeper, and can catch up to him when he gets up.

Does it help to say that there ARE worse places to poo and pee than the shower?  At least there’s water and a drain right there.... Always look on the bright side (lol).  But seriously...good luck. Clean-up duty is not fun.