RSS Feed Print
I have a new word in my vocabulary
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2019 1:25 PM

For some reason I have now started to use the F... word and I am not to happy about it. I keep saying it all the time I get upset about anything. F that, F you or F them. You get the picture. Do you have this issue? Especially when I am driving.  I say it loud in public. I never did that before. 

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2019 2:27 PM

A little bit. I used that word the other day in front of my 19 year old grand child. It just slipped out. It had quite and impact...lol. 

Today it is such an easy word to use...almost a catch phrase.

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2019 3:04 PM

Michael, are you listening to music or watching youtube videos that use that word?  I have NEVER used it, but it got into my consciousness a while ago.  I know it came from outside sources!  I am not around people who talk like that.  After I was more cautious about what I watched on YT, this particular problem disappeared.

Iris

Keep It 100
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2019 8:28 PM

Don’t fret, it’s actually f-ing good for you. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2017/07/27/smarter-living/the-case-for-cursing.amp.html

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 7:12 AM

Its not like I never use to use that word but only once in a while. I also did not say it publicly. Good point Iris about the music. I never listen to that kind of trash but a few weeks ago were I had docked my boat they had a party on the opposite dock and they were play lots of crazy music I have never herd before. They had many young woman and the music contained the f word over and over. I could not believe what they were saying and that these woman would even play it.  I believe I was starting to use the word before that but I think it may have escalated after that. Now I need to figure out how to break that. Not sure it will be easy as I have lost so much control already. 

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 8:25 PM

Michael, I have noted that I can observe a fleeting reference to something disturbing, for example, an ad about rats, then my mind would become fixated on rats--even if it was just a few seconds.  That's why I started not to watch television, because all sorts of disturbing images were flashed out at me.  

Many PWDs watch TV; I'm not surprised that they have delusions and hallucinations.

My peace of mind is precious to me; I must protect it!   I avoid cursing and other disturbances.

Iris

Unforgiven
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 2:11 PM

What that means is that you are more stressed and less able to suppress your natural reaction.  Don't sweat it.  Hopefully people will understand.

I'm re-shingling my barn, and my neighbors have been treated to a few Fs when I hit my thumb.  We're all human.

alz+
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 2:30 PM

Just a year or so before I was diagnosed I started swearing. Random, anywhere. I remember driving home with my Mother who was visiting, we had been shopping, and I started swearing in the car. I told her how it just started happening and how weird it was.

I remember her looking at me. I did it for years. then it stopped for awhile.

Last year I swore during confession in church and then swore again loudly "I can't f*ing believe I said F* in church!"

Now I can't believe I am sharing that info! 

I was SO upset by this even though the priest started wrapping things up very fluently and quickly.  

Are you embarrassed by it? Can you prevent yourself from saying stuff? 

It just comes out of me sometimes, it is weird. 

BadMoonRising
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 1:50 PM

I've had that word in my vocabulary since Country Joe shouted "Give me an F..." while performing at Woodstock. Since then I've observed the myriad of circumstances in which the word is useful. Adjective, verb, etc. Good, bad, etc.

Unforgiven
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 4:20 PM

Yes, it's everybody's favorite gerund.