RSS Feed Print
MCI
julielarson
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 8:29 AM

I still have MCI but the ADHD explains some of the difficulties I have.. How can you remember what someone has said to you when you can not pay attention? .. Also the inability to do the details of a project of some kind is explained by the ADHD.. Easy to anger is another thing that is on my list of symptoms and that is also explained.. I asked the Neurologist what he thought of my possibly having ADHD and he said it is a possibility but not likely.. I took a test yesterday that I scored very high on for ADHD.. It was at my therapists office.. He asked me if I thought I have ADHD and I laughed and said why yes I do..
grandmalynda
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 4:39 PM

Trying to figure this all out is like a giant jigsaw puzzle.  Just keep forging ahead and eventually all the pieces may begin to fall in place.  Hang in there Julie!

--Lynda

julielarson
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 5:36 PM

Thank you Lynda! I will keep on trying to figure this out.. The neurologist and the head neurologist said that with MCI and it not having gotten worse probably means that I do not have a dementia and that was nice to hear.. I really trust this group of doctors and like them so I am listening to them.. They gave me more in the hour and a half I met with them than I have gotten yet.. He and I will just have to agree to disagree with the ADHD problem I have.
Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 7:07 PM

Having MCI is not a picnic.  People, including professionals, assume that due to the word "mild", that things are not that bad, and that the patient can manage alone just fine.  That is not so. Accommodations still need to be made.  Everyday life is still a struggle.   We can only hope and pray that it doesn't progress, or if it does, that progression is slow.

Iris L.

julielarson
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2017 7:51 AM

Iris, I know but you can not blame me for being excited we actually are talking about something that affects me deeply and makes me look back on my life and see all the things that were caused by having this.. Yes MCI is enough to have for sure... For me though I can not help but see how having ADHD fed into the MCI diagnosis and life in general. The neurologist says that my mental health diagnosis and that I have Dyslexia fed into my having MCI.. I believe him except for the fact that he says that it is doubtful I have ADHD.
Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2017 11:22 AM

Yes, it is exciting to finally have some idea of what has been going on for so many years.  MCI is complex on its own.  It is exciting because it may be amenable to Best Practices.  You will learn new things about yourself, Julie, that will further excite you.  

Iris L.

julielarson
Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2017 11:28 AM

Iris it is truly exciting learning more about myself.. My therapist has been a big help with this situation.. You my dear Iris have a great trip..
VickiLynnAnn
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 4:42 PM

Hi! I am 59 years old and just diagnosed with MCI. Looking for others to chat with.

Thanks, Vicki 

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 9:51 PM

Welcome VickiLynn.  Julie posted two years ago.  But there are others with a diagnosis of MCI.  My own diagnosis is cognitive impairment not otherwise specified.  How are you being affected?  Feel free to begin your own thread by clicking on "Add Topic" on the main Younger Onset page, then follow what comes up.

Iris L.