RSS Feed Print
Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast
MrToad
Posted: Friday, March 8, 2019 7:36 AM

I always liked the idea that Alice’s Red Queen could believe six impossible things before breakfast. As a scientist, I found that’s only a bit of an exaggeration. For a long time the scientific community puzzled over whether light was a wave--an oscillation of force--or a discrete particle. Eventually the answer emerged that it is both. In some ways it is a wave; in others, it’s a particle. This impossible thing to believe is just a warm up to some of the truly weird things about quantum physics, like the new computers that work with bits of data that are both zero and one at the same time. Say what?

As a Christian, I am also accustomed to believing impossible dualities. Was Jesus a man, or God? Not all people of faith quite agree, but many Christians hold the “impossible” opinion that the person we know as Jesus Christ was indeed both fully human and fully God.

So, as I hold my daily nonsense conversations with my DW, I have no problem observing that she is obviously not the person she once was, babbling as she does about the conversation I know she didn’t just have with her long-deceased Mommy. Yet I know absolutely that my sweetheart is still indeed that same person I married long ago.

I know that some folks have great difficulty with this duality within their Loved Ones. They see that so much seems to be gone, and of course they mourn that loss. But I believe it is so important to know that our Loved Ones are indeed still our Loved Ones, diminished, AND whole, human AND Transcendant, wave AND particle. I will never stop believing impossible things. But now I’m going to have some breakfast.

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, March 8, 2019 9:06 AM

Thank you for putting into words what I could not.
chrisp1653
Posted: Friday, March 8, 2019 12:44 PM

As always, MrToad, a refreshing view, a new perspective on an old thing, and a double whammy to illuminate a single point. I believe that both lunch and commode duty now call me.
Vik
Posted: Friday, March 8, 2019 5:48 PM

Mr.Toad, you are a beautiful writer!  Keep on postimg!
Mrs. O
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2019 12:13 AM

Hey Toad,   I have seen many comments on this site regarding whether our LO’s are “still there” or not. I cannot forget Crushed sentiments that as his DW’s brain is recreating a new personality, the essential traits that he so loved about her are lost and gone forever. 

Today while I was missing the person that my DH once was, I heard an old Crosby, Still & Nash song that snapped me out of my funk. 

“ If you're down and confused

And you don't remember who you're talkin' to

Concentration slips away
'Cause your baby is so far away
… Well there's a rose, in a fisted glove
And the eagle flies with the dove
And if you can't be with the one you love, honey
Love the one you're with
Love the one you're with
Love the one you're with
Love the one you're with
… Don't be angry, don't be sad
Don't sit cryin' over good times you had
There's a girl, right next to you
And she's just waiting for something to do
… And there's a rose, in the fisted glove
And the eagle flies with the dove
And if you can't be with the one you love, honey
Love the one you're with
Love the one you're with.”
I see that song in a new light now. And after all... “In the end... Only kindness matters.”  (Another song lyric- by Jewel).