RSS Feed Print
Happy and memorable extravagances
cathyjm
Posted: Monday, February 6, 2012 6:06 PM

In case you wonder sometimes about whether or not to spend money on something....

Have been sorting through folders, looking at receipts and souvenirs and all the other STUFF that accumulates. Want to mention that some expenditures I have ZERO regrets about are the experiences my partner and I shared in the past few years as her memory and cognition faded. We went to London after she was diagnosed with MCI -- only wish we'd taken more trips earlier. Last year, when she was in stage 5, we took a ten-day car trip to her childhood home town and to visit two old friends across the state. (Forum members gave me WONDERFUL advice that helped make the trip great.)

Other extravagant purchases that I'm so happy I made: heated toilet seat so the bedside commode would be comfy, great walker with a padded seat, loads of collage card supplies and tools (whatever my partner saw and wanted, really) -- and most of all, time -- time I could have been working to earn money but instead, spent with her. If I had it to do over again, I'd work even less, enjoy more things with her. As it is -- I'm so glad we could do what we did together.

Hope this helps others with some financial choices.

Myriam
Posted: Monday, February 6, 2012 8:04 PM

Your partner is so fortunate to have you in her life!
Cheryle Gardiner
Posted: Monday, February 6, 2012 8:32 PM

cathy, I think we all need reminders sometimes that happiness is more than how much we spent. I know your partner was very blessed to have you in her life. The return on the money you spent was really an investment in both of you and in the memories you now have.

Sometimes I find myself wishing that Jim had been more careful about managing his diabetes so he would have - perhaps - had more time for us to appreciate life together. But given his family history of early cancer deaths - both parents in their early 40s - he determined to live life to the fullest, and he did. Even today, his memories are mostly of the exciting things he did and the challenges he chose. I'm so glad he has that! And, in his memory, I was there for many of them, even though we didn't know each other then!

Memories are truly priceless.
Heidi Liane'
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 3:44 PM

I remember when we wee going through the chairs togtehrin order of the Eastern star nad himin themasonsin 2003 we wuold ofbeen worthy matronand patronin OES from  feb 2003 to feb 2004 then that same year  in dec 2003 to dec 2004 he wuldof been worshipfulmaster of theblue lodge.

so we traveled the state oif fla saw many nice towns nad small holein the walleating placesonein ocla near the paddockmallwas aogod itilianplace we really loved but when myDr toldme to stewp down or riskheart atack number #3 Iwas sohardonmyself buthe siad hedidnotblame me he wuold doit allover again withthe same utcome as long ashehad me beside him he wuldnot be regetful for anything.

thenin 1983 he andi our twin sons age 4 goingon 5 went to germany bad nauheim tomeetmy birthmom LTU paid our way evenmade thenmaagaizin das golden blatt like poeples magaxzine.

my most memoriabletripwas withuort him thjught owashington Dc foran entire week with womenHeartmeetingthe president  Bush.,Laura Bush.Condelezza riuce  our lawmakers toiond then every am he calledme tomake sureIwasuponad beforeIw netot bed  then when weleft the  crew at thedesk toldme they wuldmiss patchingthrough my morning wake up callsnad evening calls tooI just smiled said u yesI wil toobutI am going t hoem to my amand PM wake upcalls so I di yes tons ofmemories ur songs are keeper of the satrsnad I'llcross myheart he toldme  oneoifhis tome is I'll gotomy grave loving yuo everytimeI hear it whichisnot often  makeesme cry. so yes hold on tothe meories is what wilgetus throughthehard times when theyhitnd they wil hit. heidi