RSS Feed Print
Scheduling Inappropriate Medical Treatment
Husband Caregiver For Wife
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 11:24 AM

My wife is end-stage, semi-comatose, on purred food, has myoclonus and aspirates.

I got a phone call from her medical practice, computer generated, after hours saying it was time for her annual mammeogram and I needed to call to schedule.

This is not the first of this type call.  I call, explain she is on comfort care only, DNR, etc.

They "remove" the notice.  A few months later I get another call.

I have tried being nice.

I have tried explaining how emotionally draining this is.

I have tried yelling.

I have tried being vulgar.

NOBODY LISTENS!

At a previous facility the doctor put her on STATINS with routine blood draws!

We need to shine a spotlight on these people. 

How?

Current medical "company'  is Christus Santa Rosa Family Medicine

Cheryle Gardiner
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 11:48 AM

Husband, I am so sorry this is happening. I'm thinking you're caught up in some kind of medical robo-call loop that isn't being controlled properly. Somebody, somewhere, isn't paying attention.

I have a few ideas that might help. Can you set your phone (or ask the phone company) to reject all phone calls from that number? Or try writing a letter to the doctor's attention (maybe a copy to the local licensing board) and telling him/her how distressing this is and what you've already done. A third idea would be to contact your state ombudsman. They normally handle complaints with nursing homes, but could probably intervene on your behalf or tell you who can.

Please let us know how things are. We are here to support you as you finish the journey with your wife.
LarryD
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 3:55 PM

Like you, I have a wife who is beyond the help of the physician she used to go to and who diagnosed her initially.  

We live in a world where daily we get computer generated calls and letters and E-mails. 

I tear up the letters on the way in from the mail box and throw them in the recycle bin. I pay for caller ID so I can ignore calls from those I don't  

recognize .  One thing about this disease, I get a lot less phone calls even  from people I do recognize. If I am feeling frisky, I answer the phone and then hang it up. If I am feeling really frisky and not doing anything else at the moment, I answer and punch the number one which gets an operator expecting to make a sale. Then I tell them to take my number off their call list, which I suspect does absolutely nothing.  All E-mails from people not on my address list get captured in a suspect E-mail file where I can glance at them and delete before they hit my computer.

I'm afraid that unless we cancel our phone, computer, and mail service, this will just keep getting worse and worse.

I try not to let it bother me and I only yell when I get an actual human being on the line.

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 4:22 PM

In addition to marketing calls from out of work contractors, I get calls to be surveyed about local political candidates.  I used to try to explain to them that I have not been keeping up to date with local politics lately because of health reasons.  They don't care, they just want to fill their charts.  Now I am brief and I hang up.

Iris L.

Dot
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:48 AM

Ahhh, Husband!  As if you don't already have enough concerns! 

At 76, and in reasonable health, I've reached the point where I refuse so many of these tests.  (Like bone-density....yes, I have crumbling bones, but what will you do about it?)  and pap smears?  Do I still have a "Pap"?

As to those annoying phone sales calls, I was constantly getting one saying my auto warrenty was expiring...call this number.  But when I did call (knowing it was a sales pitch!)  the first thing I was asked was the make and model of my car.  Told the guy I had a 1983 pontiac and a 1954 Morris Minor. (which we do) and asked which did they want to insure?  No more calls.

Duh!

Dot

lurk
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:56 AM

Oh Dot, you are so funny.  Husband, I am so sorry.  Maybe contact the media???
Be Strong 2
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:25 PM

Dot wrote:

Ahhh, Husband!  As if you don't already have enough concerns! 

At 76, and in reasonable health, I've reached the point where I refuse so many of these tests.  (Like bone-density....yes, I have crumbling bones, but what will you do about it?)  and pap smears?  Do I still have a "Pap"?

As to those annoying phone sales calls, I was constantly getting one saying my auto warrenty was expiring...call this number.  But when I did call (knowing it was a sales pitch!)  the first thing I was asked was the make and model of my car.  Told the guy I had a 1983 pontiac and a 1954 Morris Minor. (which we do) and asked which did they want to insure?  No more calls.

Duh!

Dot

Dot,
That is hilarious!  You don't know how much you lifted my spirits with that!
Bob  

Debbie 1951
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:07 PM

me too,I play around with tele marketers.. I tell them I am dead, or that I am unable to talk on the phone and hang up quick. Like I have  time for all of this crap. I have caller id and I am on the no call list, but somehow they still get through. It can be the only highlight of my day to prank a call.

lol

Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:47 PM

For the usual annoying calls, I either hang up. or the one I prefer is ; Just a moment. Softly put down the phoe. and go about your business. Every second they lose waiting for you to return is money lost.

When I'm at my best I say: I never respond to phone solicitations. Please send me the information in the mail and I will consider it.

But the original poster. I think a letter to your local paper, mentioning the circumstances would be great if they are a local company. Of course, it might not get published.