RSS Feed Print
Somebody at the door...
Compassionate1
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 9:30 AM

My DH, originally diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in March 2018 and now with atypical Parkinsonism (DLB), has not had many delusions/hallucinations, but this is his most persistent one and it happened again last night.

He will wake up quickly in the middle of the night and declare that someone is at the front door. He thinks he hears our doorbell, or someone knocking, and then he feels the need to go downstairs to check. 

This morning, at 5:30am, he thought he heard a knock and someone saying "hello." Apparently the person saying hello was friendly, but I fear that someday the mystery person may viewed as an intruder.

I know you are supposed to validate the experience of the PWD but I am not at my best when awakened out of a deep sleep. 

If you have dealt with this situation, what responses did you find effective?

Army_Vet60
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 9:45 AM

I recommend getting his doctor involved. If he is hallucinating at night to the point of opening the front door, the doctor could prescribe something to help him sleep through the night.

My wife has the ALZ/Parkinson's combo, but she's immobile so I didn't have to worry about her wandering like that when she was hallucinating.

Dreamer Lost
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 10:00 AM

I have the Ring doorbell/camera at our front door.  Often times when packages are delivered and we are busy or sleeping in, I tell DH I'll check the camera and see what it is and that satisfies him.  I also have a house alarm so if DH did open a door without me it would go off and wake me.  And I give DH melatonin 5 mg that helps him sleep through the night most nights, occasionally he will waken and go to the bathroom so it doesn't knock him out completely.