RSS Feed Print
Just need to talk to my friends (104)
ronald71111
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2019 7:56 AM

This week sure has gone by fast; mowed the yard, two visits to the VA, Little Bit has grooming appointment tommorow and Lou is wondering why we are out of cookies and cake. Guess this morning after two loads of clothes to wash, I'll bake some cookies. 

New primary care went good yesterday, he seemed to be interested in helping and even mentioned a possible cause of swallowing problems and chest tightness being connected to the achalasia of esophagus surgery. He is also concerned about me having to use medicine for my psoriasis many years without revisiting dermatologist. Also will be starting back home health care physical therapy. Normally I see primary care every 6 months, but he wants to see me every two months till problems are solved.

Ron

Sayra
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2019 10:35 AM

Glad you liked your PCP.  It’s always nice when you feel they care.

Pretty day here.  Have a batch of yoghurt going.  Hope to do loaf of bread later.

Lorita
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2019 11:48 AM

Morning,

Ron, glad your visit with your new PCP went well and that you will probably like him.  I know Charles had several different ones and all of them were good - a couple we really hated to lose because they moved on to greater things.  I think having confidence in your doctor is a very important thing.  I really like my PCP - like visiting an old friend along with him being your doctor.

Cookies - what kind do you make?  I think my favorite cookie is chocolate chip.  Charles worked at the Muskogee Regional Medical Center for a while and one of the women he worked with made the best chocolate chip cookies - not crisp but kind of chewy.  I don't make cookies often and don't remember ever making them - probably did but the old memory fails sometimes.

The never ending laundry of a caregiver for a person with dementia.  Seems it never ends.  I used to have at least a load each day when I was caregiving and now it's maybe one load a week. 

Sara - hope your yogurt comes out good.  What do you make it in and do you just use a very low setting on the oven?  Never tried it that way.  Do you add fruit after it's made or before?  I remember when we first got our bread maker.  I'd put in all the ingredients the night before and set it to come on an hour or so before we got  up the next morning.   How wonderful to awake to the smell of freshly baking bread.  I hardly ever use it now but did a few months ago when I ran out of bread - pretty good.

It was a little bit foggy again this morning with a heavy dew.  Stormy went with me and we were able to see all the girls as they left one pasture and went into another.  When we came in they were going around to the other side of the pond and I imagine will end up in the barn.  They spent the night in the south pasture last night so will probably spent the night in the NE pasture tonight - seems they take turns  sleeping in different places.  Stormy and I went to the mailbox, in the car.  I need to drive it a little every once in a while.  Nothing of importance there but needed to mail a couple of things.

My sides are sore today - I know from lifting and turning at the same time.  I need to figure out an easier way.  The vet called last night to see if I needed the creeper filled - kind of wish I'd waited one more day to put in feed so he could have filled it for me.   I told him I'd put in a quarter ton and wouldn't need to again for 5-6 days.  Said to call if I needed help.  Good to have someone you can call on if you need but, as I've always said, it's so hard for me to ask for help but I guess that becomes a necessary evil as we get older. 

I'm wondering if the Morton's Neuroma in my feet is making me more unsteady on my feet especially when I take the first couple of steps.  It doesn't hurt and I don't notice it when I'm sitting unless I wiggle my toes - feels like there's a thick layer of crumpled up paper on the bottoms of the ball of my foot.  Odd how there can be that feeling and your feet look so normal.  Patsy had it years ago in one foot and it went away - wish mine would - but instead of going away it spread to the other foot. 

I slept a couple of hours yesterday afternoon and again last night before bedtime so missed Doc Martin - and I slept all night.  Wonder what's with that.

Just did the dishes and I don't have laundry to do so guess I'm finished until late today.  Hope all of you are having a good Friday.  I remember when I was working I always looked forward to Fridays.

ronald71111
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2019 2:46 PM

Lou loves the chocolate chip & pecan cookies, so that is what I usually make and did make today. I also bake a drop sugar cookies which is real good. Looking through mom's book the other day I came across her peanut butter cookie which I want to try.

I've already received a call to see about setting up appointment outside of the VA for pulmonary Dr. I've used this new Mission Act where if the VA can't get you in to their clinic in a certain amount of time they send you to someone outside, but this is the first time I've received the initial call day after appointment. Usually it's a couple of weeks, then a week or two to set the appointment up. Maybe their improving the process.

Ron

Rescue mom
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2019 3:15 PM

After last weekend with everybody running around like chickens with their heads cut off now I’m putting up/reorganizing all those hurricane supplies. We had no effect, thankfully, and seems like FL everywhere is OK. But still a few weeks to go, so I’m keeping things close at hand. So many people who left town just ended up where the storm went; and a lot of people from the east coast came here late to get away from their side of the state. You just never know what those storms will do, but the prep and waiting makes people crazy.

Now it’s so hot and humid there are all kinds of heat warnings out. If you’re out for one minute, you’re soaking wet—which is making more laundry demands than dementia!

You all always make me hungry. I actually found watermelon rind pickles online, never thought to look before. A little leery of the pickled peaches, though, in unfamiliar brand.

I used to be make cakes and some bar cookies, but now don’t seem to have the inclination so much. I was not a natural baker, started mostly just to see if I could. Worked out ok, apparently. Probably not so good for overall health, but others liked it. Love how Ron talks about making cookies like it’s NBD! 

I wish we could get real, unpasteurized cream like we used to. It was so yummy, and—-like buttermilk—-nothing like what’s sold today in stores. 

Lorita, after retirement it’s so easy for me to lose track of what day it is. I used to work weekends, and liked having days off midweek to do things. OTOH, we might miss some weekend events. 

Hope everybody has a good weekend. Can’t believe it’s September...I loved fall but down here we have a ways to go.

Hpilot
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2019 3:27 PM

Good afternoon!   I have been incognito for several days. First it was some sort of virus that made me feel like a wet noodle with a head ache and sore throat and stomach upset. It lasted about 5 days. By that time Dorian was churning in the Atlantic.  Being on a small farm that has very little place for water to go, I was beginning to get nervous. However, the forecasters had it hitting Florida. Then it turned cat 5 and sat over the Bahama's for days.  The forecasters had such a hard time with this one.  It was never expected to hit us in SE Va, until a few days ago, It was , then maybe it will, no it won't and for sure it was.  Talk about stress and anxiety on top of still feeling weak and lethargic. 

I had a load of hay in a temporary stall area, but there were too many bales for me to move out myself to another area. I had to get real inventive to keep the water from seeping under the door and ruining my $9.50 a bale hay!!!  I had fencing to get secured better and had to also change my horses stalls to another barn that was better suited for hurricane force winds.  They had stalls that opened up to an overhang area and the paddock.  I hate to lock them into a stall if I don't have to in those kinds of winds and usually a tornado or two will get spawned.  I was a wreck.  The storm came in this morning at wee hours and I wondered if they went outside. I had a flood light on so I could see the paddock from the house, but didn't see them out there. Once it got lighter outside, I could see that indeed they were out in the paddock, under an oak tree with their backs turned toward the wind and blowing rain.  They did what nature told them to do to stay safe. 

I was able to get out there about 8 Am during a lull in the rain, but the wind was terrible. My hay was dry!!! I was able to get them fed their breakfast. They wanted to eat outside so they did. But then they went to their stalls for their hay.  It's 4 o'clock and they are still in their stalls, so must have been exhausted.  Dorian is finally starting to go North East up to Canada, still a hurricane.  Living in a hurricane zone all these years, I have never been through a whole week and a half, worrying if we were going to get hit. That is one mean storm that just won't quit.

I will go out shortly to feed their dinner. It is still somewhat gusty out there.At least we didn't have to endure days of it here. 12 hours was all.    So that's been my life since I was back on here.  Hope I didn't bore you guys to death, but haven't really had time to read all the other posts.  Computer and cable tv went out several times today, but we never lost electricity. I did get a nap.My doggies just got outside for the first time today. Thank goodness for puppy pads.

My beagle puppy will use them to pee still as she doesn't hold that well, but is pretty much potty trained for pooping. She did poop on her pad and then covered it up with her doggy bed. She was ashamed!! Of course, she got no scolding from me, as she really had no choice. My older dog just held it. Anyway, it was a fast and wild ride. I will have to take the Kubota out to check my fencing before I open up the larger area for the horses. I don't see any trees down yet. Will know later. 

Once I get my settlement from my ex, I will see about getting a generator. Lorita, what kind do you have? We had two portable generators at the other farm, one for the house and one for the well. I had to fill several containers of water and both of my 100 gal. tubs outside for the horses. When Isabelle came through years ago, we were out of power for 2 weeks. I was so worried it would be the same this time. Ok, I'll quit my rambling. Thanks for listening.  Oh, and that metal hose is a God Send. Easy to drag to all my different areas and saves so much time and muscle.  Ok, bye for now.

Rescue mom
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2019 3:37 PM

Ps re: generators earlier mention. Every time we get hit, people die from carbon monoxide, from improper use of gasoline generators, AND sitting in cars charging cell phones (!!).

But this storm I saw something never seen before: people were filling up plastic buckets—plastic, no lid—with gasoline from the gas stations, and putting the open buckets inside their back seat or truck. Everybody said don’t do that, but they still did. Just think, a cigarette ash, or accident....

The last big storm, everything ran out of gas, and it took days to get more. Same for natural gas/propane. I guess people wanted to have plenty on hand this time. But wowzer.

For those who asked, I think a lot of people use the gasoline generators, which need to be kind of close to the house to plug in with drop cords. They should be outside, but it’s a reach, and people will steal them fast. The bigger the generator, the more it will run. But some people have generators that use natural gas/propane.

Rescue mom
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2019 4:00 PM

Hpilot, we were writing at same time! I am in S. FL. We have a small gasoline generator, which scares me to death, and it’s loud, and has to be filled almost daily. It will run the fridge, a few lights, a fan. There are bigger ones that do more. You can look or shop to see what size handles what. Then you have to have the gasoline...

Oldest kid has natural gas/propane generator that can run the whole house. But those can cost $20k. and up. He’s in the business and got a deal. Down here, natural gas/propane is not widely or readily available, and super-expensive (tens of thousands) to install “after the fact” or as an addition—much depending on if or what lines are available.

Your area may well be totally different.

Our area ran out of both gasoline and natural gas/propane after the last big storm 2 years ago,  and more could not get in. We were out of power 2 weeks. (Did not lose power this time)

My bottom line is, if we need a generator, we will stay with son, or in a hotel. I seriously doubt we, or I, could physically handle a bigger gasoline generator—DH does not even remember what they are—and can’t practically get a propane/natural gas one. But I am always terrified over ventilation.

Of course we do not have animals, hay or a barn to protect.  I feel so bad watching people with just horses trying to get them safe in a storm..you are right about the stress of storm prep.

Hpilot
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2019 4:50 PM

Rescue Mom. Wasn't that hurricane the most frustrating thing? Prepping for it, like you said on a farm, is heavy, hard work and it was so hot and muggy on the days before it came.  As far as generators go, if I can't get a smaller generic then don't want another gas powered honda thing. That's what we had at the other farm and my husband would drive me crazy not wanting to put it outside of the garage door.  I have natural gas to my house so a generic would work, but not going to put 20,000 into one. I have survived this long without one.  I have a feeling someone is going to come out with some power source that will help keep some things running. A friend used one to power her tv and some lights.  It runs on a charged battery and can be used as a power source for a dead car battery. I had one of those at the other farm, but could never figure it out on how to use it instead of the battery on tractor and it didn't just charge the battery if the battery was totally dead.

I am glad you guys got missed. You must be in FL.  I just came in from outside doing horse chores and it was so nice and breezy and cool. Felt great.

Rescue mom
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2019 6:49 PM

It may well not cost as much, where you are. Its that there is virtually no natural gas/propane where I am. Where you are, may be different. I wish there were more choices for us in S. FL. Good luck.
Sayra
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2019 5:23 AM

Have a whole house generator at the house where my mom lives.  It is a kholer.  Was installed by an electrician.  Can’t remember cost but no where near 20,000.  At least in our area each electrician only works on  one certain brand of generator.  So you kind of need to be aware of that too.  

Lorita heat whole milk ( nonhomogenized, minimal pasteurization) to 180 degrees.  Cool to 110 degrees.  Add 1/2C plain yogurt.  Place in oven at lowest heat setting.  Let set overnight.  Then put in refrigerator.  After awhile I let it set in a strainer over a bowl.  Whey drips out and you get a thicker yoghurt.  I have just been adding honey.  May try fruit some 

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2019 7:39 AM

Morning,

Sara, seems we're the early birds today - I've been awake since 3 a.m. -but I went to bed at 9 and slept through except for waking up a time or two and going right back to sleep.

Our generator is a Gererac.  It powers the house, storage building, carport, barn and three security lights.  I think the generator cost around $5,000, then had to pay the electrician to hook it up and the guy to hook it to the propane tank.  The tank is only about ten feet from the generator so there's no danger of fumes and we keep the propane tank filled because that's our heat source.  I wish we'd gotten it years and years ago.  I didn't know anything about generators but Judith had this brand and liked it so we went with that one.  There's also a $675 annual charge for two maintenance trips. I can't remember for sure but I don't think the total cost was more than $6500.  Worth every penny.

Ron, looks like the VA is on top of your case.  Good news that you'll have another appointment soon.  Charles was on fee-basis to a podiatrist in Tulsa for several years until the VA got their own podiatrist.  Worked well.

Rescue Mom - glad you were spared a lot of the storm.  I can't imagine how scary it must be to know something like that is on it's way to you and having to prepare for it.  Hopefully, there won't be more this year.

VAJoan - good to see your post.  So sorry for all you've been going through getting ready for the hurricane and now the aftermath of it.  I don't know how you got it all done - taking care of yourself is one thing but getting things ready to make the horses safe is another.  Glad your hay didn't get wet.  When the girls get caught out in the rain, they turn their backends to the rain, too - animals are smart.

I can't imagine what you and Rescue Mom have been through this past week or so - not knowing if you were going to be in the middle of it or if was going to miss you.    Glad you both made it through all right without too much damage.  I absolutely love the metal hose - no kinking, less weight, not getting hot in the sun, etc.  I tell everyone I know about them.  I'm anxious to see how it fares in the winter - at least it'll be easier to coil and lighter to bring into the house when it's freezing.

Just came in from trying to see the girls.  It's foggy so couldn't see everyone - fewer than half. Billy the Bull was close to the gate wanting through to graze so  I let him through and he kept looking for Sweet Pea, his mom.  She came up and went in with him.  Wish I could get Ruby in there, too.

My side's hurting this morning - was hurting when I woke up at 3.  Guess I lifted a bit too much.  You'd think I'd learn, but I don't. 

Sarah said they might discharge her yesterday but haven't heard from her to see if she did go home.  She said the social worker was getting home health set up for her and also was going to get someone to fix her feeding machine.  I hope she can stay in the hospital over the weekend.  If she was discharged she has an appointment Monday with her PCP - can't see the reason for that.  They could see her in the hospital and not have her get out again.

Better go - I think the hot water is ready for my hot tea and I'm hungry.

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2019 11:03 AM

Hi again,

Had a little farina and some toast - not too filling.

This morning I watched The Great British Baking Show.  I really enjoy seeing all the different things they have to bake.  This morning they kept talking about strong flour.  What in the world is strong flour, I thought.   I looked it up and was surprised.  Have any of you heard of strong flour?

It's already hot here - 86 degrees and no wind.  I think it's supposed to be 98 tomorrow - where is fall?

Sarah called a while ago.  She was discharged late yesterday evening so she's home alone.  Teagen is there and she had to bend over and clean up after her.  Todd can't take her because she doesn't get along with the dogs where he is.  She isn't able to take care of her so I told her to have him contact a rescue place and take her there.  I know she hates to do that but it's necessary.

Nothing else going on here.  Just wanted to know if you all knew about strong flour.

VA Joan and Rescue Mom - thinking of you all today cleaning up after the storm and so many tornadoes, too.  It's been a bad week on the east coast.

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2019 12:14 PM

I have a generac. Someone has to pour a slab for it and it must be hooked up to a fuel source and then to your electricity. I bought mine from Norwall. A plumber hooked it up to our gas line and and electrician connected it to the house.

They come in a lot of sizes. Mine does ot do the whole house and does not do the AC. It is the exhaust from the machine that  are carbon monoxide just like a car motor so it much be carefully placed so that no fumes can get into your home.

It is a simple motor. I was told that service once a year would be good but really could be once every two years. I do check the lights on the side every week.

This morning we reseeded, topsoiled where needed, mowed and are ow watering.

My Caladium leaves are easily 8-12 inches across and almost 2 feet high. Really spectacular. 
Can I email a photo to someone who will post them here? If so send me a PM with an email address.

I would suggest that Sarah call Free to Live for Teigan. It is truly a wonderful place.

toni2
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2019 12:47 PM

Hi everyone. I am going to a car cruise tonight. My oldest grandson has asked me to go with them. It has been a very long time since I have been to one. It should be fun.

We are starting to get fall weather so it is cold at night. I love to open a window when I sleep at night and let the fresh air in. I sleep so good under the quilt. 

Take care. 

Toni

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2019 6:20 PM

Back again,

Judith, our electrician bought out generac from some company himself so we didn't deal with that and instead of pouring a slab they had one already done and just put it down and put the generator on top of it.  I check the light every time I'm out that way.  Ours now is yellow and green.  I talked to Anthony, the guy who services it, and he said it just needed to be reset which he couldn't do when he was here.  It works just fine now - our power went off a couple of weeks ago for a couple of hours and it runs about five minutes every week, I guess to help keep the battery up and going.  Now that I've had it couldn't do without it.

I hope someone will post a picture of your caladiums - they sound beautiful.  I bet they're gorgeous at night with a little light on them.  Seems like mine are still coming up some because I see little leaves.  I have purple basil in the pot with the ones just outside of the yard and that's pretty but I need to cut them back so they'll be bushier.

Redoing part of your yard because of the storm damage? 

I've talked to Sarah about Teagan but I don't know if they'll follow through or not.  I'll tell her about the place you mentioned.  I know she'll be hard to give up because she got her when she was a little puppy and so cute.  Almost 100 lbs. now.

Toni - so nice to see your post and know that you're doing pretty well.  Sorry, I don't know what a car cruise is.  Sounds kind of like what we used to do sometimes on Saturday night - cruising the streets.    Nice that you're going with your grandson.

I, and I'm sure everyone in Oklahoma, envy your cooler weather.  I just checked and it's 96 right now - not sure about the humidity.  Hot weather here is really hanging on.  I'm so ready for cooler weather.  

Let us know how the car cruise was - enjoy yourself tonight.

I'll stop and find something for supper.  Just called Mike to tell him I was going to take advantage of his offer to put the rest of the feed I have in the creeper.  My side has really hurt today - guess I thought I was better than I was.

Enjoy Dr. Pol tonight.

ronald71111
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2019 6:44 PM

Hi Toni, glad to see your grandson taking you cruise. I'm like Lorita, really dont know what a car cruise is unless it's like we use to do, just cruising around. We mainly did it looking for girls out cruising and not the scenery.  I remember the old days when we slept with the windows open, mainly trying to get some fresh air. We finally got a big window fan that helped keep us cool. Dont know how we made it back then without central air and heat. It's been so hot here today that when I took little bit out for a walk, I had to soak my hair in water to keep it from igniting. Big mistake, the wet hair started boiling and ended up frying my brains. LOL.........poor Lou, and she's expecting me to look after her. 

Ok, now if I can remember to get the ingredients I'm going to try a chocolate fudge icing I found in my mother's cookbook. Guess yellow cake mix would go with it. 

Ron

toni2
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2019 7:41 PM

I'm back from the cruise. It's somewhat like the old days but now all the old car and some new ones go to Burger King and show their cars. They are judged and awards are given. A DJ plays old music and everyone enjoys remembering the old days. I saw old friends and got lots of hugs. It felt good to be among friends again. Our grandson has a 55 Olds and it's beautiful. I made our great granddaughter a poodle skirt and she danced around and people took pictures of her with their cars. 

I am glad to be home now. I'm going to church in the morning. Have a good night all.

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2019 7:51 PM

Sounds wonderful
Lorita
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2019 8:44 PM

Sure does - like the 50s.  I love the cars  back then - big, roomy and comfortable. Glad you enjoyed it.
Sayra
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2019 4:26 AM

Car cruises are very popular here.  They have many of them during summer.  Redoing old cars has always been going on here but has sort of exploded in the last few years.  My brother in law has a baby blue convertible Mercury Cougar.  It was his dads.  Like Judith I am not able to send a picture.  Toni if I remember right you live in Pa.  Maybe it is a Midwest thing.

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2019 6:52 AM

Morning,

I've been awake since 3:30 - watched The New Adventures of Old Christine and the Middle until it was time to get up.  The sun isn't up yet and the eastern sky is a beautiful rosy-red.  Girls are already up around the MH.

I don't know if they have car cruises here in the cities or not - haven't heard about them. Charles had an antique car - a 1949 Dodge Wayfarer - his pride and joy.  He bought it from the son of the woman who bought it brand new - she paid somewhere around $400 for it.  It was really heavy and well built - not fiberglass. 

I loved the Cougars - I had a yellow and black one - just loved it but traded it in on a bigger car.  They were fun to drive.

It's already very warm here - upper 70s - supposed to be near 100 today and it doesn't look like it'll cool down any until the end of this week.  My left side is hurting - took an acetaminophen and rubbed x3 with Theragesic so maybe it'll get better soon.  I was going to charge the backrubber but I think I'll wait until tomorrow morning.  I'm getting pretty good at putting off things I need to do.  Still have either 20 or 40 lb. of catlitter on the front porch I need to get in.

Men's Open Tennis Finals are today and the Browns play football - Baker Mayfield, QB.  I'll probably be really sleepy by the time they come on.

I probably should water the flowers in the bathtub when I go out this morning - I'll check to see if they're dry.

Enjoy your Sunday.

ronald71111
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2019 6:55 AM

Morning to all with a e-hug to any that missed it. If you haven't realized it, last week I stopped my weekly e-hug I sent every Sunday morning.  I have noticed a steady decline in viewing of the post and also believe those that actually responded are on this thread. 

I have spent a good part of my early morning rising fuming over Urologist notes in myhealth.vet. Myhealth.vet is a patient portal that veterans can review notes from Dr visits, order medication, check appointments and many other useful tasks. While reviewing the notes of my new Urologist from September 4th visit, I noticed he had a complete description of a physical examination during my visit. He did not give me a physical exam! All that happened was a discussion of my symptoms along with a plan of action!! Many are aware of problems I've had with VA Doctors lately and I'm getting very frustrated. I have sent a message to Urology Clinic with my displeasure of a exam that did not happen.

On a positive note, reviewing notes of my new PCP was very accurate and it showed his referrals to specialist for documented issues.

I believe this week instead of taking Lou and Little Bit for a weekly drive, I will take them for a cruise with oldie but goodies playing on the radio. 

Ron

ElyVet
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2019 7:29 AM

Ron,

I understand the frustration with the VA. We have seen 5 different 

urologist since 2001. 

The one now says since you are over 70 we will not treat your cancer anymore.

We will just let it play itself out since you have other diseases.

That does not help with his pain or problems with the bladder.

Shirley

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2019 9:00 AM

Hi,

Ron, I had noticed you didn't have your thread last week.  But, we're glad you're here with us.

I can imagine how frustrated both you and Shirley are with the VA.  My cousin has had the same problem with her private PCP - not writing in her chart what really took place and it is really frustrating to her.  I don't see the reason for them doing this.  If I were you I'd take this to the Chief of Staff at the hospital and if you don't get results there, go to the Director. There's also a patient advocate you could talk with.

Shirley, I know you've mentioned this before.  Do you know if it's just something with this particular VAMC or with all of them?  If it is VA wide, it's something new - nothing at all like that when I was working there but, of course, that was 24 years ago so they change their policies.  To me, 70 is pretty young and the older I get, the younger it gets.  Doesn't matter if a person is 35 or 75, they still have feelings and need to be treated for whatever their condition might be.  Have you talked with the COS or Director to see what they say about it?

I got out and fed the cats and filled the water tank (I absolutely love the metal hose), best thing I ever bought. I can't get over how lightweight it is and the main thing is - no kinking.  The only thing, and it's not a real problem, is that the ID isn't as big as the 5/8" hose I'm used to so it takes a bit longer to fill the tank.  One thing I've found about it is when you turn on the water and don't have the end of the hose and some more of it down in whatever you're filling, the end flips around.  I got a bath this morning from that.  If you have the end and some more of the hose in the tank, it's fine.  The girls were already up by the MH so I didn't go up there - not feeling up to par this morning.  I left Stormy and Sheena inside while I was out and I really got accusing stares from Stormy.  Last night I promised he could go with me to see the girls this morning.  I'll let him go this afternoon or in the morning.  I was able to see 28 of them but guess the rest were over the little hill - I'll watch for them as they come down to the barn.  I try to see all of them twice a day and will have to watch closer because we have a baby due the 21st.  Mike says his cows have started calving a week early so gotta be on my toes.  Hope it cools off before they calve.

Anxious to see how Sara fared the night and how she's feeling.  She has to make an appointment with Dr. D for them to schedule the herniorrhaphies.  I can't understand why she keeps getting hernias.  They've also talked to her about surgery on her neck - I have such sympathy for her and all she has to endure and has all her life. 

Going to take it easy, again, today - seems like that's all I've done since I had this flare and then the muscle strain.  Guess all of this comes with my advancing age.  At least I  didn't catch a cold from the little man who wanted to talk about cotton when I was in town last week.  I would love to see a big field of pretty cotton - such a pretty crop and we don't see it around here any more.  Ron and Shirley - do they still grow cotton where you all are?  Everything here has gone to soybeans, a little bit of corn and mostly pastureland.  I can remember when daddy farmed the whole farm except for maybe 20 acres east of the house.  Guess those times are gone.  The man who owns the section east of us does still farm - mostly corn and soybeans.  

Okay, enjoy the hot Sunday.

ElyVet
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2019 9:31 AM

Lorita,

This a rule with all VA's at 70 is the cut off for caring for a lot of the diseases the Veterans have. Bill has Agent Orange Cancer ad 6 other diseases. They said at his age one of the other diseases will probably kill him before the cancer which has already spread to his bones!

In SC they grow cotton, soybeans, and sunflowers. In SC they raise and train horses. 

The farms are very large and owned by the family for years. 

I was raised on 80 acres and loved it. My dad built houses for 60 years. We raised all our food and meat. So when mom would go to the store she only bought cleaning supplies and paper products. I was the oldest of 8 kids.

Bill seems to be going down hill. He now realizes his mind is slipping and he get mad he cant remember things.  He now has pancreatic attacks (2) since December. He fell and cracked 3 ribs and bruised his kidney. It was 5 weeks before he got better. 

Have a good day. Time to rest after the hurricane.

Shirley
ronald71111
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2019 10:11 AM

Shirley/Lorita, my Urologist told me the same thing about over 70. My PSA had doubled and have increasing problems with urinating. I was told that even though I probably had prostate cancer, that at my age I would probably die from something besides my prostate. His plan is to try and shrink the prostate with medication to give me relief. By the way, I noticed in VA notes from the pharmacy that the medication he wants me on was denied. 

Lorita, yes I agree my complaint should be and will be taken up the ladder. I sent a message to Urology Clinic and will call my Social Worker tommorow. Depending on the outcome of those messages will determine what other action I'll take.

Ron

ElyVet
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2019 2:26 PM

ROn

Bill PSA were 58, 59.5, 61.2 with a Gleason of 7.

He was on Zoladex every 3 months for years. Then when he hit 70 

They stopped cold turkey and he has gone down hill since then.

He had 45 days of the strongest radiation they could give him. To try and 

Get the cancer in control. Burnt his urethra tube during radiation.

The treatment is very expensive. I told them since they sprayed him in Vietnam

Was there fault and he is permanently disabled due to Agent Orange. 

25th infantry Army did not have a choice, they were trying to live.

Shirley

ronald71111
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2019 3:33 PM

Shirley, I also am a Vietnam veteran, 1965 - 1966 in Quang Ngai and Danang. Danang was a heavy Agent Orange spraying and I also have agent orange disabilities. Bill and I along with other  Vietnam veterans are the only ones that truly know what we went through. You mentioned the expense of his treatment!You are not having to pay for it are you? Prostate Cancer is on the agent orange list and any treatment or medication should be covered 100%.

Ron

ElyVet
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 7:05 AM

Ron,

Bill is totally disabled and VA pays for everything. If he needs to go to a home

He will be able to go to a VEterans home. Bill was in Vietnam during 67-69.

He always called it the U.S. Highway 1 (hou ming trail) misspelled.

Shirley

Lorita
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 8:55 AM

Morning,

I know how awful that war must have been for you Ron, and for Bill.  I can remember, I guess in 1969, getting to work early and watching TV a while before 8 a.m. and watching the news about the Tet Offensive.  One of my cousins, Patsy's brother, was in Korea and VietNam and was affected by Agent Orange.   I guess it was necessary to use it but how awful the consequences of the soldiers were and still going on after all these years.

Shirley, our State has five or six State Veterans Homes.  A year or so before I lost Charles the social worker sent applications for his admission to all of them, just in case.  I preferred the nearest one in Claremore and I actually got a couple of calls from them telling me they had a vacancy.  Felt like I'd been punched in the stomach.  It would be so hard to place a person you love.  I know sometimes it becomes necessary and I certainly don't fault anyone for doing it.

Stormy and I went out early and fed the cats and drove over among the girls to make sure everyone was okay.  He so loves to do that.  It was really nice - not too hot and just a light breeze.  The sun came up while we were out in the pasture.  When I'm out like that I think, briefly, about wild hogs and hope and pray I don't see one.  Don't know what I'd do. 

We got back to the house and I remembered that I needed to charge the back rubber so put Stormy back in the yard so he wouldn't be around the insecticide and diesel.  Got it mixed up and charged the backrubber - more twisting so it didn't help my side.  This will probably be the last time I have to charge it this year.

There's actually some showers and storms across the western part of our State but they won't get here - maybe as close as I-35 which goes through OKC.  Heat index today is supposed to be around 100.  Average temp. for the last of this month is 76  - can't wait.

Judith, I don't know how to take something off e-mail to post or I'd be glad to do it for you.  I take my pictures with a camera, then load them into the laptop and from there I can post them.  Are you taking pictures with your phone or camera?    I'd love to see your caladiums - I bet those lovely, huge, white leaves are gorgeous.  Are you going to take up the bulbs this fall to have for next spring?  I've never done that; too lazy, I guess.

Sarah called while I was out but I didn't hear the phone.  Found it an hour later.  She sounded so groggy and said her right arm from the elbow to the wrist is torn up.  I asked her why and she said she didn't know.  What's with that?  She has an appointment with her PCP this afternoon and Todd said he was going to take her.  I need to talk with him before they go so he can tell the doctor about her grogginess and hardly being able to form words or sentences - and now this arm thing.  It's becoming more and more apparent that she is not able to survive on her own and what will be do?

Going to stop and find something for breakfast.  Enjoy the day.

Sayra
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 4:40 AM

Lorita it is so hard to do anything when we are not in charge.  Boy don’t we both know.

Looks like it was a quiet day on here yesterday.  Hope everyone is doing alright.  Was a busy day for me.  My sister came over and helped me clean out my gutters.  Then I went to her place and helped clean out her gutters, we pulled up all her veggies and flowers.  She is on vacation this week.  Then I went and got mom’s groceries to take to her this morning.  

Turning hot and muggy again for a few days.

Wish all a peaceful day

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 8:49 AM

Morning,

Sara, you were one busy lady yesterday.  Time to rest some today.  Do you have one sister, or more?  So nice that she lives closeby so you all can be together more.  My sister hasn't lived close to me for decades so we haven't been able to be together very much.  She's ten years older than I and got married when I was a little older than five so it's always been this way.

I've heard cleaning out gutters is a hard and dangerous job - good that you girls were careful.

It's a pretty morning.  I didn't have to go out into the pasture this morning.  The girls had left one pasture and were up in another pasture where I was able to see all of them from the yard with binoculars.  That always makes me feel good.  The pasture ground is rough and driving the CW over the bumps is hard on my side.  I went out a little later to feed the cats and move the CW into the shade and Stormy hurried to the gate thinking I was going somewhere.  He thinks anytime the CW starts he should be in it.

Mike came last night and put the rest of the creepfeed in the feeder.  The girls were way up in the pasture but when they heard the PU, here they came.  They have really good hearing and they can tell the sound of the PU where their feed comes from.  I'll have enough until early to mid next week.  Hopefully, I'll be able to fill it myself that time.  He said he'd call to check.

I haven't been able to get in touch with Sarah since her appointment yesterday.  If I can't after a bit, I'll see if I can get in touch with Todd. Anxious to see what the doctor said.  Maybe I'm too nosy.

Have you all seen the last thing Neiman-Marcus has come out with in the world of jeans?  Looks ridiculous - one leg is slim and the other is flared and they cost almost $500.  Our weatherman was saying that a regular pair of men's jeans at that store costs about $1,000.   I can remember the good old days when we'd get Levis for daddy for $5.00.  Guess I'm beginning to live in the past.  After Charles and I got married we'd buy something and mention the price and my parents would say "I can remember when they cost xxx".  Now, I'm doing the same thing.  I think we do turn into our mothers and fathers.

Going to take it easy today as if I didn't yesterday.  I guess this is just a muscle strain in my side - years ago I had a bad muscle strain on the right side and that hurt for weeks or even more.  Guess our muscles aren't as elastic as they were when we were younger.

You know, I got an EOB from ChampVA a day or so ago and it showed that I got two medications at the pharmacy for the diverticulitis.  I know the doctor said he was going to give me a couple but when I picked it up there was only one.  I told the girl I thought there was supposed to be two and she said "no, just one".  It was another antibiotic but upon reading about it, it was related to Bactrim which I can't take so guess it was all right.  I think my doctor only gave me the Flagyl in 2013 when I had it the first time.

Hope all of you have a good day.  Ron, missed your post yesterday - hope everything's okay in your home.

Sayra
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 11:02 AM

Good to hear from you Lorita.

I have 3 sisters living.  One is ten years younger than me and one 14 years younger.  The other sister is 3 years younger and my sister that died was 5 years younger.

I told my sister yesterday that we weren’t going to be able to do this always.  I don’t know who you hire to do it.

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 11:47 AM

Thank you, Sara.  How wonderful to have three sisters still living.  I always wanted to have a brother.  Would have been great.  I've always felt almost like an only child. Do you and all of your sisters have a chance to get together often?

I guess you'd hire a handy man - if you can find one.  It's not easy at all here to find someone to do anything.  I've had people come to see what I wanted done at the barn and it sounded like they'd get right on it - never heard from them again.  I hate that the two veterans who did things for me no longer are in business - they were older and did good work.  People just don't seem to want to work anymore, at least laboring.

Extex, wondering how you are - haven't seen a post from you in a coon's age.  Let us know how things are.

I guess I'm going to have to try to bow out of Sarah's problems.  I still haven't been able to get her to answer her phone - now can't even leave a message.  She's not in the hospital - checked that.  I even called her PCP's office and she did not keep her appointment yesterday and did not reschedule.  Called Todd and left message.  I wonder what happened - maybe she was so out of it when he got there that he couldn't get her to the appointment.

I'm realizing I can't control what's going on over there and couldn't even if I was there.  She's not going to get any better if she won't even keep her doctor's appointments.  Judith knows we've gone through this before - missing appointments, getting there too late, etc.   I'll try to let it go - but, can I?

Found out about the medication I didn't get when I went to urgent care.  I called the pharmacy and they had it on their records that I was allergic to Bactrim so they didn't fill it - good for them - but maybe should have told me so the doctor could have written something different. In 2013 I only had the prescription for Flagyl so guess it was enough.   Anyway, that's water under the bridge so guess I'm glad they didn't fill it.   It's a small pharmacy, one of two we have in town - the other being WM which I hate.  You have to stand in line to turn in prescription or wait for them to get it from the doctor, then wait and wait and then stand in another long line to get your medicine.  Patsy has to do it because the smaller pharmacy isn't on her insurance's list.

I think what I have is a muscle strain - it's higher up in front of and above the hip bone so it's not more diverticulitis.  My doctor examined me and he thought the same thing.  It just hangs on and makes me uncomfortable.  Good there's nothing I have to get done outside right now.

It's pretty warm out today but there's some clouds and some wind which makes it better.  Late yesterday I went into the barn and the draft through the barn felt good - keeps the girls cooler.  Years ago we had a cow down for two or three months, in the hallway with the north door off the hinges.  Charles and I went down in the morning and evening to turn her and feed her - it was winter and the cold wind coming through was really bad. 

Have you all seen the new advertisement with Baker Mayfield trying to start his lawn mower - really cute.