RSS Feed Print
Wandering(3)
ugomimi
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 8:27 PM

TToday my husband took a walk and I could not find him. He loves being outside and being busy. I called and looked for an hour, then called police. My biggest fear was happening! Police and search and rescue dog came and right then my grandaughter drove by him walking down a major road and picked him up and brought him home. How am I going to deal with this? I cant lock him in the house? He loves to be outside and busy!
terei
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 9:36 PM

There are GPS devices that can be used, but you have to make sure he cannot remove it.

https://www.alzheimers.net/8-8-14-location-devices-dementia/

Clearly he cannot go outside on his own anymore.   

They are still looking for a man who walked off 2 weeks ago in Wisconsin...it happens all the time.

elainechem
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 10:10 PM

I changed the locks on the doors to double keyed deadbolts. He doesn't have a key to get out. He's free to go out into the back yard if he wants. The walls are too high for him to climb over. I did padlock the one gate so that he can't get our that way. Some people with dementia wander off and are never seen again. Or they're hit by cars or assaulted. 

Some people alarm all their doors so that you will at least know when he leaves. Some people put sliding locks on their doors where they hope their loved ones won't see. 

If this keeps up, you may have to place him in a secure memory care facility. They have electronic locks so the residents can't get out. 

Rescue mom
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 7:09 AM

This disease often means hard decisions for the best safety of the patient. Often there are no good choices, just the least bad choice. ....News stories regularly about PWDs who wander away and robbed/attacked, fall and injured, lost for days and suffering from hunger, thirst or weather. Some never found until too late.

It seems he cannot safely go out alone anymore. You can stay with him, and/or limit his time outside unsupervised. If he does get away alone, the devices advised above by Terie could help. You need one with a GPS locator, since those that just call for help (like the “I fell and can’t get up” device)  are not designed to find somebody who doesn’t know where they are.

elainechem
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 8:07 AM

My hubby wears a Gizmo gadget in a cell phone case on his belt. It's designed for children to wear as watches. It's from Verizon. I really like it. I have an app on my phone and I can locate him whenever I need to. He was always accustomed to wearing a multitool and a phone on his belt. The tool was dangerous and I confiscated that a long time ago. I replaced his cell phone with this because he had lost all ability to use a phone anyway. It satisfies him to have a gadget on his belt even if he has no idea what it is. 

It makes me feel safer when I take him out in public. 

Some people use the Find My Cell Phone feature on their mutual iPhones. That's great if the person with dementia can take care of the phone and not answer spam calls, etc.