RSS Feed Print
Just need to talk to my friends (103)
Lorita
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 8:51 AM

Morning,

Ron, it would be easier on you and on Lou is you could take her to a podiatrist to get her nails trimmed and feet taken care of.  Charles had diabetes and his toenails would curve over the end of his toes so that made it very difficult to trim his nails.  My cousin also has diabetes and she says her nails curve over the tip of the toe, too.  Charles enjoyed going to the podiatrist and always said his feet felt so much better afterwards.

Glad you got your five hour's sleep last night.  I woke up at 3:30 so watched TV a bit, then went back to sleep and then overslept.  When I woke up I felt like last year's bird's nest with a hole punched in it or as Leanne would say I felt like I'd been dragged through a barbed wire fence backwards - boy, bet that would hurt like the dickens.  It's a good thing it's today instead of yesterday - wouldn't have felt like going to town. 

Got out to see the girls - late - and some were over the hill so couldn't see them and didn't pursue it.  I'll see them this afternoon.  Won't or shouldn't have to start worrying too much until mid September.   The GPs went outside at 3:30 but are back in, sound asleep.  It's supposed to be hot, again, today.  I'm kind of getting tired of this northwest flow (weatherman's woe).  Kansas and Nebraska get the rain and it moves down this way and clips the northern and northeastern part of the state - nothing down this far.  It seems to be affecting the elm trees most of all - the leaves are turning brown and the Royal Empress trees are losing leaves.  I did notice the big one north of the house already has bracts of what will be blooms a little later.  I always feel like fall is getting close when I see those.  Parts of the pastures are also beginning to look brown.

Our water pressure doesn't seem as strong as it was so went out and checked the hydrant by the garden.  I'm not keeping that water tank filled this summer so it's really grown up - when I got back in I had spider webs on me.  I remember Charles would go nuts when he'd get into a spider web.  Then, checked the hydrant on the north side of the house and everything looked okay.  I may call our neighbor later today when he gets home to see if his pressure is okay.  We're at the end of the water line so the leak, if there is one, is probably somewhere else.   I didn't hook up the metal hose this morning because I'm not feeling on top of the world and didn't want to fool with it but I will this weekend. 

Hope everyone's okay this morning.  Only 37 days until fall.

Addendum:  After I started the new "chapter" I noticed that VA Joan had posted on the other one so be sure to read it, too.

Joan - I'm anxious to get my hose hooked up so I can see how it works - didn't feel like it this morning but I will this weekend.  I'm so glad it won't be so heavy - I hate dragging around those heavy hoses and it seems like I always have to be doing it. 

Nice that you're getting things all settled in at your place.  Probably will take a while to get things the way you want them.  I like the four seasons, too, spring and fall most of all but it seems like they're hardly ever very long.  I used to love summers but the older I get the less I like them.  I like winter better than summer.

What kind of horses do you have and how old are they?  We lost our one horse, Buck, a few years ago from a heart attack.  He was 34 years old - only green broken.  He took care of the cows moving them from pasture to pasture and keeping away predators.   How many dogs do you have?  I can't imagine not having dogs.  We've had dogs from day one.  The Pyrenees are really enjoying the summer - being inside.  They go outside for a little while and want back in - I don't blame them.  I'm so tired of hot and humid weather - seems like it's been worse this summer than it has been lately but maybe that's because I'm older.

Don't work too hard on those stalls - that's hard work.  Shame that you have to start feeding hay so early.  We have a neighbor who has lots of cattle and his pasture just north of us only has Bermuda grass - I think he's running over 75 head on it and he seems to be feeding hay all year long with the exception of a couple of months in the early summer after the Bermuda starts growing.  We have mostly fescue with some Bermuda mixed in and usually don't have to start feeding hay until mid to late December - hope that's the case this year.  We feed big, round bales but we always keep 50-75 little bales of hay in the barn to feed a cow or calf we have up.  Don't think I'll have to buy anymore this year.  I got that hay from the neighbor just south of us last year and it's really good. 

Enjoy your day and don't get too hot - it creeps up on you, as you know.  Glad you posted and good to hear things are progressing well.

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 10:02 AM

Another beautiful day here so will get out and gets some errands run...library, UPS, bank and meat market.

I had the podiatrist cut my toe nails. he cut them so short that they were uncomfortable for months. Especially at night when the sheet rubbed on them. I am only going to file once a week from now on.

Waiting for all of the reports to come in about the metal hose. BTW, have you all used the quick change connector? I love mine.

Cooked a pork tenderloin last night. Marinated with soy and a package of splenda. "Served with fresh asparagus. Plenty of leftovers.

A new student at the Academy did my hair yesterday. She was adorable. Her grandmother, my age with white hair, uses rollers so she knew all about volume and did an exceptional job with just a brush. You can not beat it for $10. I do tip $5 but still well worth it.

The 1999 Volvo XC90 is operational again but  is in desperate need of a BIG bath. Maybe I can get a grandson to do it. When they work for me I double the pay and put 1/2 in their 529 account. 

Caladiiums are still coming up! The first ones up are  huge...I will try to winter over the bulbs.

Sayra
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 3:55 PM

Guessing you have some good left overs Judith.  

Watered all my plants today. Giving 60% chance of rain tomorrow, but they gave 70% yesterday and no rain.. so got it done.  Did not want to be doing it over the weekend.  

Got my front screen door sprayed yesterday.  That is a little trickier than a lamp post or garage door.  Had intended on spraying the wood around the door to but decided no I will paint it.  Hope to tackle that tomorrow if it doesn’t rain.

Slept in this morning.  Had sinus headache yesterday so took something for it when I went to bed.  Figured I would sleep longer as that stuff makes me drag.  That’s why I do my best not to take it til bedtime.

The first jar of kraut will have its four weeks in tomorrow.  Will have to taste it.  Smells good in my pantry so hopefully everything is doing ok in there.

Hope everyone gets a good nights rest

ronald71111
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 4:27 PM

Went outside and it was so hot my sweat was sweating.
Lorita
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 5:57 PM

Hi,

Ron, I agree with you about the heat.  I just came in from trying to see the girls and when I came in I felt like I was baked.  Have to go out again, too, came up one short.  I think it's Billy the Bull.  Can't rest until I see all of them.

Heard an awful news story.  In Okmulgee County a couple of deputies were on the way to a 911 call and came across a cow in the road.  One went on to the call and the other stayed and shot the cow who was going to have a calf.  Said she was in the road, jumping around and he was afraid she'd go over to another road and cause a wreck.  How stupid can a person get.  All he needed to do was call the rancher who was five minutes away and he'd have gotten his cow back into the pasture.  That cost the rancher maybe $2000 for the cow plus several hundred for the calf.  I'd sue them for sure.  Any person knows you don't shoot a cow for being out!  Before we had the new barbed wire fences made five years ago we'd have cows get out and I remember Darwin called and helped us get them in once and another time a man called and helped us get the calf in and helped to fix the fence.  All of our perimeter fences are new now except for a little less than 3/4 mile and for half a mile of that no cattle are in those meadows.  Fences are always a worry - always something to fix.

Judith, I use the quick connectors and have for years.  I could never figure out the ones we got at WM with orange on them but I love the ones from Atwoods.  So much easier than screwing the hose off and on.  Also use them to connect hoses.  I'll use them on the metal hose when I get time - or the inclination - or cooler weather.

Hope you got your errands run successfully and safely.  I don't like to be out in heat like this but sometimes you have to.  Just watered my caladiums a little bit before I came in - I'll do more in the morning.  Can't figure out what the problem is this year - they shouldn't be coming up still.

A friend from town called this afternoon for a visit.  She's the one who was born in the house across from us that I didn't know until I went to work at the VAMC.  She said they haven't had rain either - nothing closer than 50 miles.  It's been raining in far NE Okla. all day.  Guess we're not living right.

Sara - sounds like you're getting things in shape at your new home.  How is the garden growing?  Fall gardens aren't as easy as spring ones but the vegetables are really good - guess they're hurrying to make before the frost.  I know that even flowers in the fall are more brightly colored and mature faster.

Ron, I wasn't going to take a nap this afternoon either.  Many times when I do take an afternoon nap I feel awful when I get up.  I laid down on the divan for a bit and went to sleep for a while.  I have a slight headache now.  Charles and I used to often take an afternoon nap and don't remember feeling bad all the time afterwards, but sometimes.

Sara, I used to have awful sinus headaches - not so much anymore.  I'd get up in the morning with a headache, wet a washrag with very warm water and hold it on my forehead until it cooled off and by then, most of the time, my headache was gone.  For some reason I think this hot weather is making my dry eyes worse, even with the high humidity.

Judith, I wish we had an academy close to us.  I'm determined I'm going to get my hair cut before winter (have I said that before?).  Wearing those trapper hats and caps really do a job on longer hair.  I think it would make it look fuller and it might even have a few waves in it - my bangs do.  Glad you found someone who can fix your hair the way you like it.

Washing cars - I haven't washed the car or PU in who knows how long.  Seems like living in the country makes it impossible to keep them clean.  But, they do seem to run better after they're washed.

Better stop and find something for supper.  The couscous last night was good.  I'll have the last of the steamed vegetables and couscous again for supper tonight.

Hope you all sleep well - and can stay cool.

Lorita
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 6:22 PM

Back again,

Almost got cooled off while I was writing the previous post but couldn't stay inside knowing I hadn't seen everyone.  So, I'm baked again.  Went back out and saw Billy - where he had been I have no idea - he can almost hide in thin air.  There were half a dozen still in the pond up to their stomachs.  They're all so pretty, sleek, black and fat.  Sure that some of the fat may be from new babies-to-be.  Kind of dread that but happy we have a good vet nearby.  I may close off one pasture when it's close to time for one of them to calve, not sure yet - guess it depends on the weather and if we get rain.  The grass is suffering some - can't imagine how short pastures are faring.

Back to cows getting out.  I can remember when I'd be on the way to work, if I saw a cow or calf out I'd stop and try to get it back in or at least try to find where it got out and then notify the owner.  I remember once going by a ranch where one of their cows was trying to calve. Went back to the house and told them.  That's only common sense and doing what you're like others do for you.    Okay, I'll get off my soap box.

I'm in for the evening so hope there's something good on TV tonight.  Looks like the weather's going to be hot for a while longer but, you know, if you're in the shade and the wind's blowing it's not horrific - or standing in the pond, too, would be good.  Smart girls, those.

Sayra
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2019 4:33 AM

Mom did not answer the phone when I called yesterday in the am.  She was outside piddling in the yard when I went over.  Didn’t click when I pulled in.  Told her I came to check on her since she didn’t answer the phone.  She said I don’t know why I didn’t answer the phone.  Feel sorry for her and would like to be more helpful but in the next breath she is trying to get some unknown man to marry her or do something crazy to the house.

If it doesn’t rain today hope to paint the trim around front screen door.

Noticed the man next door is starting to move some things out.  Sold was put on the sign last Saturday I believe.

Hope everyone has a peaceful weekend

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2019 8:00 AM

Morning,

Sara - you're up early - best time of the day in this hot weather, isn't it?  Do you need rain?   Surely wish we could get some, even half an inch would help. 

Mother had Alz and she had ups and downs in her moods, too.  Sometimes it's hard to handle.  Glad your mother was okay.  We always worry when someone we call doesn't answer.

If you paint today and it's hot, be careful.

I just came in from doing my outside morning things. Fed and watered the cats.  When I first went out there was the worst racket on the road east of us.  Finally saw several electric coop trucks - something they had with them was really making a noise.  Scared the heck out of the girls who must have been close to the road - I saw them running away from the road.  Didn't get to see all of them because they were up at the MH and across the little hill.  They'll come down to the pond before long and maybe I can see them then.  I recall getting a notice in the mail that they were going to be replacing electric poles - probably won't affect us because they replaced the ones east of us a few years ago and also the ones from the county line up to the house.

I didn't sleep too well last night.  Got a text message at 12:30 - from Sarah - not meant for me so that disrupted my sleep.  Then woke up again about 3:30 so watched some of Roseanne and Jo - two hours of The Great British Baking Show.  It's really interesting - I think I'm hooked.  It was the beginning of a new season because they had 12 people - two sent home.  It's amazing how they can bake those things.  This morning they had to make a box (out of cookie dough) and then make cookies to put inside.  Some of them were so elaborate and beautiful.

Judith - I hooked up the metal hose this morning and watered the Royal Empress Trees, caladiums, roses, morning glories, crepe myrtles and another plant.  I LOVE it.  It's so easy to pull across the grass and light weight.  I finished watering, then coiled it up and put it over the hydrant.  I'd never have been able to do that with a vinyl hose. I may order a 25 ft. one.  The only leakage was at the hydrant with the quik connections - but not much.  Then, I pulled the 50 ft. vinyl hose into the yard and watered some more things - felt heavy and hard to handle.  With this hose I won't have to leave it out on the ground like I've had to do with the vinyl ones.  I say "go for it".

It's already hot outside and hardly any breeze at all.  The sun is already nice and bright but sunup now is about 6:45 - a good hour later than it was a few months ago. I still need some mowing done but don't want to do it until we get some rain.  I'd like to get rid of all the weeds in the old garden and where we'll feed hay this winter.  Last night when I couldn't sleep I started thinking about new hayrings.  I bought a couple of new ones two or three years ago but all the others are old and rusting.  They have black vinyl ones at our feed store so when I go in this week I'll check on them.  Not sure if they can deliver or not.  They did deliver the other heavy ones on a flatbed but couldn't drive under the arch over the gate by the barn so had to unload them and then I rolled them up to the hill.  Don't know that I can do that now.  I may have to get one at a time in the PU and figure out how to unload it.  Always something to think and worry about.  That's what we do, or I do, at night when I can't sleep.

Sarah called when I was out - sounded groggy - said she didn't sleep too well.  I may have made her angry because the phone cut off and when I called back it went to voice mail.  As mother used to say "your little madness doesn't amount to anything" or she'd say "you've got your sore thumb stuck out".  Funny how we turn into our mothers.

Nothing planned for today - going to try not to sleep any so I'll sleep tonight.  I do need to brush Sheena's tail and all of Stormy.  Checked the creepfeeder and tried to level out the feed in it but didn't have my stool with me to stand on.  I'll take it in the morning. 

Hope all of you have a good Saturday , cooler weather and rain if you need it - if not, send it to us, please.

Addendum:wasn't angry-phone b battery ran out

Sayra
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2019 1:33 PM

Lorita glad that hose is working out for you.  My Zero-G isn’t stainless, a guy told me it’s made out the same stuff as firemen hoses are.  Anyway it is nice and light.

We do need rain.  We have had a little but not enough that I can get by with not watering.  My garden is doing ok.  Getting  enough tomatoes to eat and have been able to give a few away.  Going to buy some at farm stand next week   to make spaghetti sauce if nothing happens.  Have a lot of green tomatoes so if they would ever start getting ahead of me I will freeze them.  Can use them in things or make tomato soup.  Get several cucumbers a week, not enough to pickle but I have given several away.  Have 2 new plants started and they are blooming.    My pepper plants look good but not too many peppers except for my cayenne.  Been getting several of them and they are drying to a bright beautiful red.  A few people have told me if we have a nice fall that I might get more then.  Have not had to buy any onions this summer.  Have two Swiss chard plants that are producing really well for me now.  Getting a meal from that about every three days.  My fall garden is a bit of a struggle due to warm weather.  Everything would like it cooler so we shall see what survives.  Have two kinds of kale. Chard, radish, beet, carrot, lettuce started.  My sister gave me a pkg of mixed green seeds.  Don’t recognize some of it.  Possibly a few spinach plants.   Also having trouble with moles and voles digging around  Seem to have grub issue under control.  Madmary do you have any suggestions for things that like to tunnel underground?

Well enough about the garden.  I love being able to pick things out of it.

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2019 5:35 PM

Hi,

Well, I did what I said I didn't want to do - laid on the divan most of the afternoon and napped.  This morning a little while after I came in I got this awful hurting in my lower left quadrant - almost made me bend over.  So, thought I'd probably pulled a muscle doing something outside but couldn't remember it hurting while I was out there.  I took acetaminophen and rubbed the area with Theragesic. 

I've thought and thought what it might be - felt like diverticulitis I had probably six years ago.  It hurts down low and up kind of over my hip bone by my waist.  I think this is the same area.  I was hungry when I woke up so decided I'd finish the couscous and steamed vegetables - then it hit me!  Maybe the couscous is causing a flare.  It's small, kind of like seeds, so maybe that's it.  If it's not better by Monday I'll go in and see my doctor.  Hate to get out in the heat but this hurts!

I just came in from trying to see the girls, some are in two different ponds and some standing in the shade.  I thought I saw everyone and as I came back through the gate I saw Ruby coming from behind the barn so I must have counted one of the biggest calves as a cow.  It's hot but there's wind.  They've been in the barn all day and one is still in there, looking out.

Stormy went out with me and just as I came back to the house he went around to the back so had to call and call him. He came around like gangbusters and right into the house.  Don't know what he was doing.

I know I've eaten couscous since I had diverticulitis but maybe conditions were just right and it caused a flare.  If I was sure that's what It is I might be able to get a refill on the Flagyl without seeing him - but being that long kind of doubt it.

Before I came back in I felt of the hose that had been in the sun all day - it was pretty warm, but not hot..  Wonder how that can be, everything else is hot to the touch.

Sara - I'm so happy that you're getting a good harvest from your garden - good tomatoes are the best.  We used to make tomato juice and salsa with our tomatoes.  This morning when I was out I picked up one of the empty mineral tubs and thought of you - thinking if you were planting things in containers that would be perfect.  Several of them are about 18" high and probably 24" across, maybe more.  It wouldn't take a lot of dirt to fill it, not like the big, tall ones.  Are you planting things in the ground - I think you are but not sure.

Going to stop and take another pain pill.  This is the pits  - so, probably no more couscous.  Stormy finished what was left minus the vegetables.  I think I'll give those to him and see if he'll eat them.   I've forgotten - when you're having a flare can you eat cottage cheese and yogurt and other dairy products?

Dr. Pol tonight!

Sayra
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 3:47 AM

Lorita I hope you are feeling better this morning.  It is 4:40, the post will probably show as 3:40.  I notice it always shows a hour early.  I went to bed at 9:30 so I had a good nights rest.  

I have things in the ground and in containers.  

ronald71111
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 4:02 AM

Sayra, both of us are early birds aren't we? Having a garden and being able to have fresh vegetables is the main reason I bought this half acre. Really enjoyed my first few years, until my health slowed me down. Still took care of a little more than I was able for awhile, of course purple hull peas didn't need tending. 

Lorita,  was wondering if your cow Ruby was stubborn? My Mother's name was Ruby and she wouldn't listen to any thing i said. Most said she spoiled me since i was the baby. We actually had a three minute shower yesterday.  A couple of times when i went outside we even had a nice cool breeze, but most of the day it was still hot.

Ron

Sandymac
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 5:33 AM

Just a laugh to show how unusual it is for snow in many parts of Australia.
File Attachment(s):
C130034A-9D94-4165-AF5C-9295499AAD3A.jpeg (135077 bytes)

Sayra
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 5:40 AM

That is cute Sandy.

I’m usually an early bird.  Once in a while I sleep in.

Have never had purple hull peas.  I seen them this year on some you tube channels I watch.  Do you eat the hulls or do you shell them?

ronald71111
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 6:17 AM

Sandy, LOL........seems like protesting is everywhere now days.

Sayra, you shell the peas once they start turning purple. Very little maintenance and a good hot weather vegetable. 

Ron

ronald71111
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 6:32 AM

Sandy, As a Vietnam veteran I would like to thank all Australians for the sacrifices they made in the battle of Long Tan August 18, 1969. I ask that we pay our respect to the soldiers and their families that were involved on that day. 

Ron 

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 8:22 AM

Morning,

What a bunch of early birds!  Best time of the day but this morning it's already hot.  I woke up at 4 a.m. and was hurting some but it's better now.  Watched TV until there was enough daylight to see the girls. 

Thanks, Sara, it seems better this morning.  At least I could straighten up and do my outside chores this morning.  If it's still hurting tomorrow I'll probably go in and see my doctor - don't want it to get worse.  So, today, I'll follow the diet, Sandy, and hope it's better.

Sandra - looks like there's a revolt going on about the snow.  Very cute.  Is there usually snow where this picture was taken?   I wish we had a little bit of snow to cool things off - or at least some rain.  They're having rain, again, up along the Kansas State Line - I don't know why it doesn't get down this far.

There's a new show on here called "Out There with Jack Randall".  He's a young zoologist and a night or two ago on the show they were trying to round up and save some of the camels and horses.  They said there were hundreds of thousands of camels and they're starving because of the drought.  And, there's tens of thousands of horses and they're trying to save some of them, too.  That's so sad.  I guess these animals were brought there from other countries and turned loose and have multiplied to this point.

I saw all the girls, scattered out in a couple of pastures and around the feeder.  I remembered to take the stool so got the feed leveled out some.  Had to run the big heifer out of the feeder a couple of times and then four little ones went in.  Got back through the gate and Sweet Pea came up to it and was looking longingly at the grass - so, of course, let her in.  She's one of our oldest girls.  Then, noticed that Billy the Bull was outside the gate (that's Sweet Pea's baby) so opened the gate and he came through.  Then, Ruby came over and she's now in with them, too.  Ron, you asked if Ruby is stubborn - a little bit but this morning she let me pet her head.  She's getting pretty old, too.  I'll let them graze out in there to get what green grass there is.    I hope they don't eat the flowers.  I have one really old althea that's blooming.  It's been there by the hydrant for years and been broken off  many times.  It's now recovered and is really pretty.  They'll probably eat the rosebuds - that's okay, they'll come back.

Sarah called while I was out and I called her back when I got in.  She said she weighed and now only weighs 88 lbs.  Hard to believe because not too long ago she weighed 130.  I got really aggravated at her this morning and tried to talk some sense into her but I think it goes in one ear and out the other.  She's saying things like she guess she isn't good enough for T.  Something like that makes me very upset and now after getting on to her I have a headache.  Patsy goes through the same thing with her daughter but it's hard not to try to talk some sense into them.

I'm finishing my juice  and feel kind of hungry.  Sandy, I may scramble a couple of eggs and have that with some toast or maybe make a sandwich.  I like Louisiana hot sauce on eggs but probably let that go this morning. 

Hope all of you have a good Sunday.  Oh, Purple hull peas - wonderful.  We always had them as a fall crop.  Also like Crowder Peas.  I just like legumes.

Rescue mom
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 9:07 AM

Oh Lorita, I saw you mention crowder peas, and it took me back to childhood days. My parents grew and liked those...I liked them with lots of chow-chow and/or hot sauce. Have not heard of those in years.

But then that reminded me of sliced green tomato pickles my mom made and I never see any more. It took 2-3 days to make them, and then  had to sit a while IIRC. I think they needed lime (not the flavor, the..powder?  The slices turned out very very crunchy, and sort of sweet-and-sour. But the crunch was the big thing. They were soooo yummy.

Not a lot of people did it even then, it was a “thing,” even then, again if I recall right (always a question It’s probably too much trouble now. Now it seems like people just let something sit in vinegar for 10 minutes and call it “pickled.”

Hope you don’t mind me chiming in. So much of what you say/do is like when I grew up on a farm but in the Deep South. My father always ran some cows, and some were like pets to me, but I learned they couldn’t be too much so, they got sold eventually.

Did you ever have guinea hens? I just thought about them too. They were such funny little critters, like alarms, and good eggs.

ronald71111
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 9:44 AM

Vietnam Veterans Day is commemorated on 18 August every year. The day was originally known as Long Tan Day, chosen to commemorate the men of D Company, 6RAR who fought in the Battle of Long Tan on the 18 August 1966.

On that day, 108 Australian and New Zealand soldiers fought a pitched battle against more than 2,000 North Vietnamese and Main Force Viet Cong troops in a rubber plantation not far from the small village of Long Tan. 

The ANZAC's prevailed, but only after fighting in torrential rain for three and a half hours. They were nearly overrun, but were saved by a timely ammunition resupply, accurate artillery fire from the nearby Australian base, and the arrival of reinforcements by Armoured Personnel Carrier.

Sadly, eighteen young Australians - 11 of them conscripts - lost their lives and 24 were wounded, the largest number of casualties at that time in one operation since the Australian Task Force had arrived a few months earlier. After the battle the bodies of 245 enemy soldiers were found, but there was evidence that many more bodies had been carried away.

On the third anniversary of Long Tan, 18 August 1969, a cross was raised on the site of the battle by the men of 6RAR. Veterans from the battle gathered at the cross to commemorate the fallen, and the day was commemorated by them as Long Tan Day from then on.

Over time, all Vietnam veterans adopted the day as one to commemorate those who served and died in Vietnam.

In 1987, following the very successful Welcome Home parade for Vietnam veterans in Sydney, Prime Minister Bob Hawke announced that Long Tan Day would be known as Vietnam Veterans Day. Since then, it has been commemorated every year as the day on which the service of all those men and women who served in Vietnam is remembered.

Lest We Forget the 18 young boys who made the ultimate sacrifice on 18 August 1966, along with the other 503 Australians and the 37 New Zealand personnel killed there. More than 3000 Australians and 187 New Zealanders were also wounded. Many veterans and their families have continued to suffer ever since. We also pause to remember the terrible waste of young Vietnamese, American, South Korean, Thai, Cambodian, Philippine lives as well.

Honour these men and women at services tomorrow or, raise a glass to them in their name or, maybe take your family and friends to watch our film to gain a little more insight and understanding into our veterans and our serving military personnel who put their lives on the line in the service of our beautiful countries, Australia & New Zealand.

#LestWeForget #BattleofLongTan #VietnamVeterans

Sayra
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 11:15 AM

The Vietnam War is  the first one I can remember.  My friends brother who was a bit older than us was in the service.  Don’t remember which branch.  His unit was attacked and he was the only one that survived out of the unit.  Remember when he was transferred to California they all  went out there to see him.   

Ron have you ever tried the Peanut Butter Icing on chocolate cake?

RescueMom, Come and chat with us any time.  I just hung out for a long time and didn’t say anything.  Then one day I said something and everyone was so kind.  It’s nice here, we try to be kind to one another.  Feel like people here are my friends.  Brings a smile to my face when somebody new drops in.

JoC just thought about you.  Hope you are doing ok, don’t think we’ve heard from you in awhile.  Know a lot has been going on in your family.

Toni thinking of you too.

Take care

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 11:35 AM

Hi,

Glad you posted, Rescue Mom - we always like to hear from more people and have them share their lives with us.

Charles and I did have guineas.  I think we hatched the eggs.  I don't remember how many we had but we enjoyed them.  We had a terrible rainstorm when they were little and both of us were out in the chicken yard trying to round them up and get them in the chicken house before they drowned.  We made it - but I stepped on a nail that went through my shoe.  Could hardly walk the next morning so mother had to take me to the doctor for a tetanus shot.  They make good watch-guineas and I think they're kind of pretty.   We also had chickens that we raised from day old chicks.  Only lost one when they were little - a brick fell over and hit one - I think a poodle we had then knocked it off but that's all we lost and we raised them until they started laying.  Then, both of us were working at the VA Hospital and we sold eggs - 50 cents a dozen for jumbo eggs.  I think I've mentioned in the past that we got half hens and half roosters.  We kept the hens and a couple of roosters; Rastus whose feathers were so black they were almost green and Hoppy - a white leghorn who would come toward you sideways and then spur you.  We had the other roosters dressed to put in the freezer.  I, of course, couldn't eat them but Charles said he could, no problem.  I cooked one and he took one bite - that was it.  Needless to say mother and daddy had lots of chicken in their freezer after that.

Also had a couple of peacocks.  We got them when they were young and they were getting their pretty feathers - they'd sit on top of the chicken house and make that noise they make.  We came home from work one day and Hutch, our Saint Bernard, had had a very large peacock dinner.

Mother used to make all kinds of pickles; bread and butter, dill and sweet pickles.  They were so good - the sweet pickles took quite a long time to make.  She'd cut the cucumbers into chunks, then put them in brine for so many days and by the time they were out of it they were almost translucent.  Just like eating candy after she made the pickling liquid and canned them.  One time, years ago, I found some in the store that tasted almost like hers.  I think Charles and I made them once.  Had to make them in a big crock.  I do remember the salt brine was so strong it would flat an egg.

Did you all make your own kraut?  Lots of fun shredding that cabbage - not for me though because I wasn't good at it.     You're right, now they put things in vinegar for a few minutes and call it pickled.  I wonder how whatever it is tastes.  I don't remember my parents making sliced green tomato pickles but I bet they were good.  We did have fried green tomatoes though.  Also made chow chow and it was so good.

In what part of the South did you live and do you still live there?  Nothing like growing up on a farm and being almost self sufficient.  I think the only things we bought were sugar, flour, meal, salt and pepper - everything else was here.

Just looked out the window and Sweet Pea was coming toward the lot so I went out and let her in.  Billy the Bull and Ruby are still grazing.  When Sweet Pea got into the lot, she looked toward the MH and bawled.  The girls are coming down for a stop at the pond, then into the barn.  It's cloudy and not as hot as if it was sunny, thank goodness.

Sarah's lonesome this morning - she's called three or four times - sounds groggy.  I haven't done anything since I came in this morning except have some cereal, hot tea, juice and just now some yogurt (Kitt loves yogurt so he helped me eat it).  I did watch a couple of good shows about Secrets of the Zoo - very interesting to see all the animals and how they care for them.   Mr. Barclee's still asleep but he should be awake before long.

Hope all of you are having a good morning.

Ron, The VietNam War was an awful thing.  I can remember coming to work a bit early (Charles always liked to get there early) and watching news about the Tet Offensive on TV before I went to work.  One of our social workers was in VietNam.  He had PTSD, as did Charles who was in the Korean War.  He said he still had flashbacks when he heard helicopters.  Patsy's oldest brother did two tours of duty in VietNam and one in Korea.  He used to talk about the Agent Orange they were exposed to - said it was like rain falling.  War is an awful thing.  I'm glad you made it through and that the VA is caring for your health needs.  You deserve everything they can do for you - as do all of the veterans of all wars.  I know the VA was very good to Charles and has provided a good life for both of us.

I'll stop for now - get to typing and don't have enough sense to stop.

ronald71111
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 1:05 PM

Sayra, funny you would ask about the peanut butter icing, I asked Lou what dessert she wanted for the week and cake with peanut butter icing is what she wants. I just finished with the icing on a yellow cake which is what my niece won first place with. Guess you could use any cake you wanted according to your taste, to me I wouldn't use chocolate, but that's just me, if I mentioned it to lou she would love it, anything with chocolate. 

Rescue mom, you bring back memories. Crowder peas, blackeye peas,purple hull peas, snap beans, butter beans, speckled beans and I could go on and on. I was a city boy but aunts and uncles and parents cousins were all country, which we visited a lot. I grew up in Shreveport, but my folks family were all down around Sibley, Robilen and Pitkin. My aunt and uncle in Pitkin had a chicken farm and we use to gather eggs by hand out of three large hatching houses. Eggs were just like silly putty when first laid.

Lorita, when I first returned from Vietnam August of 66, even when a car would backfire, I would hit the ground. Couldn't stand fireworks and still can't. Funny, over the years not a lot I could remember, but lately more and more is coming back to me. Dont know why!

Ron

Sayra
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 1:14 PM

Believe they set 14 days Lorita.  Reason I’m thinking that is because my grandma called them 14 day pickles.  She made them in a churn, they were sweet and cut in chunks.  I liked them.
jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 1:19 PM

Yet another beautiful day, Robin's egg blue sky, 89 degrees with a gentle breeze. Bet those Kangaroos would love it.

Ron, Dick was  in Saigon and Vientiane as a pilot for Air America for more than 7 years. I was a life changing experience for him also.

New Caladiums every day. It has become quite humerus.

My " farm" animals have increased. Looks like we have some baby mourning doves. I thought for years that they were morning doves...happy birds. Now not! The baby cardinals are almost full grown. The bunny seems to have disappeared. That's the farm report

New neighbors next door, I have only met him so far. An anesthesiologist with a one star rating....yeah I snooped.

Can't put the screened porch where I want it so back to the drawing board....my happy place.

Food report. Major cooking. I made scrambled eggs with shallots and fresh spinach. Next a pot roast to feed me for days. Usually I live off canned corned beef hash and catsup....don't knock it!

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 3:24 PM

Hi,

Ron, I love butterbeans but we never raised them.  We did raise maybe what you're calling speckled beans.  The ones we had were a kind of pinto - tasted the same but looked different.  I do miss having a garden but it's a lot of work, especially getting it started.  I'm sure Sara will agree but it's worth the effort to have fresh vegetables straight from the garden.   Ron - you mentioned eggs - occasionally we'd have a soft-shelled egg, really feels funny.  They happen because the chickens haven't had enough oyster shell to make the shells.  I remember we'd set in the floor and wash our eggs if they needed it and occasionally one would break in our hand - feels awful.  I don't think we ever ate an egg that wasn't cracked while we had the chickens and were selling the eggs.  I eat very few eggs - I think I'm on the verge of stopping.  I do all right if I don't think about it.

Charles never talked much about Korea either.  He did talk about how cold it was when he was there - over three years.  He said when they could they'd go to sleep in their sleeping bags and wake up completely covered in snow.  I know it was awful.  He didn't have a lot of flashbacks but in a restaurant or other place he always sat with his back to the wall so he could see who or what was coming.

Sarah, that probably is the pickle.  So good, crisp and sweet.

Judith - your caladiums are still coming up and leafing out?  Do you water them or maybe you have had rain.  I'm having to water the ones we have but they're in pots.

I've never seen a baby cardinal - did you see them when they were still in the nest or after they fledged?  Are the mourning doves like the ones we have - kind of light gray and pretty good sized?  Pretty soon it's going to be quail season so guess I'll have to make a sign to put up somewhere to keep the hunters out.  Can't understand people shooting little birds.  Reminds me, I still don't know if the little bird who made the nest in my fern on the porch is still setting or not.  I don't want to disturb her again by looking so guess I'll wait and see if there are little birds later.

We missed another rain - all went east of us - but, guess things are getting better because we did hear thunder.  It upset Stormy - it's been so long since he's heard it.

I'm still not hurting much so I don't think I'll go to the doctor - just watch my diet for a few days.  I had cream of celery soup and crackers for lunch and will have the rest of it for supper.  Sandy, haven't gotten around to eggs yet.

Well, looks like I've missed my nap for the day which may be good.  Patsy called and we had a nice visit - Sarah called twice while we were talking so called her back after my phone battery stopped.  She sounded like she was out of it - said she'd taken some of her medicine.  I bet anything that she's overmedicating but what can you do about that?

+

ronald71111
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 8:17 AM

Morning, this morning I've been putting together a list if concerns to discuss with my new PCP. Guess what.....received a call from his nurse and he called off, will have to reschedule.

I've also have a confession to make! I've been cheating on my wife!! I have multiple ladies in my life she doesnt know about.

LOL.......gotcha.......its all of you!!! Lou is not aware that I need anything for my mental stability. This site has helped me a lot to keep my sanity.  Since I was first told she had dementia I have tried to keep this away from her as much as possible.  Her mother had alzheimer and mine dementia and she knows the progression of the disease. Her mental stability would be worse than it is if she thought that she would be like them. This is why when we have discussions I tell her her main problem is the broken hip, fractured leg and the trauma from that has affected her memory. I will not cause her more heartache than she already has by telling her she has dementia. 

So that is why I do not tell her about all the wonderful ladies I now have in my life thanks to alzconnected.

Ron

Hpilot
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 11:01 AM

Ron, you had me fooled for awhile, then I reread the post. We are glad we are in your life for support. You sound like a wonderful man and a devoted husband.

Lorita, you asked in one of your posts what kind of horses I have.  I have an Oldenburg Mare, which is a German Warm Blood. that are bred mostly for sport like Dressage and or Jumping. I also have an American Bashkir Curly. They have a curly coat, especially in the winter and shed that coat in the summer. They were discovered in and around Ely Nv. running with the Mustang herds, but lived mostly in the higher elevations because they were so hardy. When I bought my herd 22 yrs ago, I developed a breeding program and had a lovely stallion. He has offspring all over the country now that have excelled in eventing and Dressage. At the time I started my breeding program, there were only 3000 registered Bashker Curlies in the US.  Now they are all over Europe and the USA and Canada.  Very easy to train and are in demand because of that and the fact that they are hypoallerginic.

I am happy you like your hose. They sure are great and certainly not a back breaker. And NO kinks.

Now I need to buy another copper infused knee sleeve. Doing stalls and barn chores and fencing has brought back my knee issues. I have broken both of my knees in the last 5 years, along with miniscus tears and long story short, by the time my pcp got me into to see the orthopedic surgeon my first one was healing, so no surgery.  The second one was as bad because the xray the day I went to my pcp didn't show a break. By the time I went back for the 3rd time she took one look at my knee and leg and said "oh my, I think you need an MRI". Ugh like I hadn't been telling her that. She wasn't a bad Dr. it's just once you are on Medicare, you can't just get an MRI unless it is an obvious problem. That one showed the break and the torn tendons and ligaments. Dr. thought it was a sprain. I could have had surgery, but again it was starting to heal itself. So I live with the aftermath and if I am careful, I manage well. That is why I use the CBD infused cream.  It was really bad yesterday with the bakers cyst showing back up, but the cream must have helped, because today it feels normal.

So much for my woes.  We all have woes and it's great to be able to voice them on an unjudgemental forum.   I know you have a lot of worries Lorita, with Sarah. I have a sister who worries me too, but I won't get into that now.  I hope y'all have a great day.

Va Joan

Lorita
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 11:30 AM

Morning,

Ron, I do the same thing before I go to the doctor -  make a list of my concerns and questions I want to ask and then try to write down the answers.  If I don't do that I forget things and usually have to ask him something as I pass by where he's writing as I leave the room, anyway. 

Gosh, I've never been called "the other woman".  You have "other women" all over the country.   I'm glad we're all here to support you and make your life a little easier when you have questions.  That's the purpose of this forum and for me it was a lifesaver. 

I did the same with Charles that you're doing with Lou.  When the doctor told us he thought it was Alz. Charles was there - don't know if he understood.  Anyway, for the next seven years we never one time discussed it.  I saw not one thing that would be gained from it.  He was happy and I didn't want to change that - one person worrying is enough - I'm a born worrier as you all know.  We dealt together with my mother's alz. in the mid 90s and that was enough.  At the time he was diagnosed we were beginning to deal with my sister's alz. so didn't want to add fuel to the fire.   We tried to live each day as we would have if everything was all right.  He went through phases that caused me to almost tear out my hair but I survived.  Others feel the need to discuss it and that's their choice - I made mine and it seems you've made yours.

Va Joan - your horses sound lovely.  I don't know much about horses but I think they're beautiful.  We did have one horse not too many years ago that my great nephew bought with his allowance when he was very young.  When he grew up and moved away the horse stayed.  We never rode him and he stayed in the pastures with the cattle, taking care of them and moving them to different pastures.  He died from what the vet thought was heart attack - he was about 34.  I still miss him.  When I was growing up daddy farmed with horses until they leased the farm and moved to town for a year to rest after they'd paid off the farm.  Those horses were Percherons.     I think before that he used mules because I remember seeing pictures of one of my uncles with them.  I did have a pinto when I was little.    It seems you're happy back at your old place now that your horses have arrived - nice to be content.

Sorry about your knee.  I use the Tommie Copper knee sleeves, too, when my knees act up.  I injured my left knee probably 46 years ago and have trouble with it off and on.  Now, both of my knees have very little cushioning between the bones and if I'm not careful they can really hurt.  When they do I wear a sleeve for a while and it does help.  My doctor mentioned last fall that I might should think about knee replacement in the spring after we stop feeding.  That will be very last resort for me.  I know some people do well with the surgery and some don't - that would be my luck.  We just have to do the best we can with what we have left.

So, this morning when I woke up at 4:30 my left side was hurting some - still was when I got up at 6:15.  I drove out a little ways to see the girls and going over bumps in the CW hurt so decided I'd see the doctor this morning.  I called at 8 and my doctor is on vacation until after Labor Day so I was already dressed and left to go to urgent care.  Thank goodness our little town now has one, otherwise the nearest is 25 miles away.  By the time I got to town it still wasn't open (8:30) so got feed for the calves and by that time they were open.  Only had to wait five minutes or so.  Told him what I thought was wrong and what I needed.  They took BP, which was high after all the stuff I'd done this morning, temp was slightly elevated and he found the sore places - heart and lungs okay.  The pharmacy is next door to urgent care and the grocery store is next to the pharmacy.  So, while they were filling the script (Flagyl) I got a few groceries and by that time the prescription was ready.  I was home by 9:30.  I left Sheena and Stormy in the house and when I drove up I heard Stormy barking.  He was beside himself with happiness -  everyone's asleep now.    So, I'll start the Flagyl at noon - and no more couscous for me.

I bought another smaller watermelon and when I started to write the amount I paid for groceries in the checkbook I noticed they didn't charge for the melon and I got light Simply Orange juice.  Picked up the wrong kind - it's not as good but mixed with CBJ is okay.

Glad to be home - now I won't have to go into town later this week.  The AC in the PU doesn't do a good job but it was okay.  Supposed to be super hot this afternoon.

I turned off my cellphone in the doctor's office and forgot to turn it back on and when I turned it on when I got home, Sarah called almost immediately.  She was worried that something was wrong - she has the worry gene, too.

You all stay in and stay cool if it's hot where you are.  Sandy, do you feel a year older today?  Hope your luncheon with your son went well yesterday. 

Back later.

ronald71111
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 1:03 PM

Didn't mean to worry you'll (you'll is the southerner in me), about me cheating on lou, just felt like having a little fun this morning.

I was disappointed about having my appointment rescheduled, wanted to discuss some of my lab. Several were elevated; none to concerning, but psa slightly elevated I wanted to discuss. I had a tip several years ago for BPH and a turp 4 years ago. After the partial turp my psa looked good and now elevated. Why?

Joan, I love horses, they are beautiful, smart animals and in most old westerns I do believe if the the cowboy had his choice between a woman or a horse, he would choose the horse. LOL

Lorita, I do believe the majority that had other loved ones with this disease, would do the same as you and I. I just do not believe it helps to add to their confused world by openly discussing their disease. But, as you said, it is a choice each person has to make. 

Ron

Sayra
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 3:24 PM

Good to hear from every one.  Hope that Flagyl does the trick Lorita.

Stayed busy today. Gave my kitchen a cleaning from top to bottom this morning.  Then went and bought a peck of Roma tomatoes and other produce.  Made a batch of spaghetti sauce and have enough left to make another half batch.  Will do that in next day or two if nothing happens.  Some recipes called for paste others said to put paste in it when you go to use it to thicken it.   One lady said she saved the skins, dried them, then grinds them to a powder and uses them in things and it acts like paste.  Thought  ok I’m going to leave my skins on and after it cooks will run it thru bullet.  As it cooked down it thickened nicely.  Then when it was done ran it through bullet.  You would never know the skins were left on.  Made me smile.

Found a little frog (think it’s a tree frog) sleeping in my zinnia today.  Have found them in my flowers at my other house before.  I took its picture.  Wish I was smart enough to post it here but as you know I’m not.  They are so little and cute.  

Going to go cook a bite to eat

Lorita
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 10:43 PM

Hi,

Just a short post before I go to bed.  I've slept some this afternoon.  Still can't straighten up when I walk and it hurts some to get out of the chair but the pain isn't unbearable.  Glad I got in to see a doctor and get medicine to nip this thing in the bud, so to speak.  Patsy called and she's still having a lot of pain - her diverticulitis was on both sides, left is better, right still hurting.

It's 10:30 and still 90 degrees in Tulsa with a heat index of 102.  It's 86 here.  I did go out this afternoon to see all the girls.  Some of them were in the pond and most were in the shade but six of the little ones with a couple of moms were laying in the sun.  I didn't take Stormy.  I don't believe these GPs could survive outside in this weather. I didn't see the two GPs south of us this morning - going or coming.  The owner of the place has been there because everything was mowed - maybe he took them home with him - I hope so.

Sara - you're keeping busy - I'm glad it's not as hot up here as it is here but I did see that Billings, Montana was 98 today - same with Washignton, DC.  I'll be so glad when we get cooler weather. 

I had a baked potato and cottage cheese tonight - very good.  I love potatoes any way they're cooked.  Don't remember if I told you all or not but I did get another smaller watermelon today - going to try that out tomorrow.  It was ice cold and it's been in the utility room all day so I'm sure it's still cold.

Sara, I've never made tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce from our tomatoes - lots of cooking and anyway our summers are too hot for much of that.

It's been quiet here today - everyone's been sleeping.  Wish you could see Kitt.  He's laying on the hassock in front of my chair, on his side with his upper back leg up in the air.  He's the sweetest cat - lays around most of the time but makes it to the kitchen to eat when I feed them.  Our vet says his lungs just aren't good enough to provide enough air to give him any strength.  He eats a lot and seems to be doing all right.

Heard from Sarah a couple of times - she had taken her Phenobarbital and was out of it - still is several hours later.

Hope tomorrow is a better day but it's going to be blazing hot - a little relief on Friday - down to 89 degrees.  Better look for a sweater.   Sleep well tonight.

toni2
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 7:00 AM

Good morning all. Yesterday we had the celebration of Ken's life. All the grand children were there. It was beautiful. My children all talked about their dad. The church provided a meal for everyone after. I stood for hours in the visitation line so today I am tired.

I want to thank everyone for their support. I couldn't have done it with out you. I'm going to take a break for a while. I'll be thinking of you.

Toni

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 8:09 AM

Morning,

Toni - I'm glad things went well at the celebration of Ken's life yesterday.  Wonderful that all the family could be there.  It's time for you to rest now, Toni, and recuperate.  You've been in the trenches a long time.  Please come back and visit with us when you feel like it.  We'll be thinking of you.

It's already a very warm morning.  Just came in a while ago from doing my morning things.  I was out almost an hour, checking the girls and creepfeeder and watering some. The creepfeed is getting low but I don't feel like filling it now - maybe in a couple of days or maybe just put 50 lb. in at one time.

I love the metal hose.  I had it coiled up on the ground, hooked it up, took the end and walked out to the bathtub to water the flowers - not one kink.  The only problem and it's not with the hose, is leaking at the hydrant.  I'm using the quik connectors so maybe that's the problem.  Anyway if it leaks the grass around the hydrant is staying green.

Couldn't find my sunglasses when I went out so found an old pair.  I've looked everywhere I can think of and can't find them - I know they're in the house somewhere because I wore them yesterday.  I hate to lose things and have to look for them.

I woke up this morning about 5:30 and my left side was hurting some.  It's not a constant pain, thank goodness, but it does come and go and there's soreness.  I've looked everywhere and can't really find out if it's okay to drink milk or orange juice.  I hope it is because I'm drinking my CBJ and OJ now. 

Nothing on tap for today - just staying in and trying to stay cool.  The GPs went out before daylight and were ready to get back in - they're sound asleep now.

Judith - the big yellow and black spiders are everywhere.  One has taken up residence on the gate I use to get out of the yard.  Yesterday she was by the latch so got her moved.  Then she settled on Sheena's leash (I keep the leashes on the gate so they'll be handy).  This morning she's moved to a place about as high as my head on the gate.  I'll try to move her again.  The Scarlet O'Hara morning glories are beginning to bloom some - really pretty.

Hope all of you are well this morning.  We may have a little cooler and wetter weather by the end of the week. 

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 10:46 AM

Lorita...Next time you are in town get   new washer for the hose. They come in different sizes so take the old one with you. 

Phehobarbitol? Wow, that is a med from the past. You think it is having a comeback?

Sayra...I have used a mill for tomatoes. About how many tomatoes are in a peck?

Toni....take care of your self. Do want you want at your own rate. Grief has it's own life and it is individual. You know we are here thinking of  you and please check in!

Joan....what a lawn mowing tale.....you take the first place ribbon.

Ron...how do you manage on such little sleep? I was called "another woman". My husband had been separated from his wife for 6+ years and that is what his "wife" called me when she heard he was actually dating someone. Now I did not know that he was separated. They lived 4 hours away from each other and there was no contact. When I found out I told him that although it might be somewhat 'flashy" to be the other woman I did not intend to keep dating a married man...lol. A divorce was quickly forthcoming. Glad to be an "other woman" again...lol

Sayra
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 11:40 AM

Judith my mom had one of those mills and I have seen them at the thrift stores.  These were paste tomatoes.  I believe there were around 60 of them.  Finished up my spaghetti sauce this am.  It was fun, now I hope I like it.

Lorita my hose which isn’t like yours but is light weight leaks at water connection if I attach something to end of hose and don’t fully open it up when I turn it on.  Very strange to me but I figured that out.  If nothing is attached to end I can run it however I want and it don’t leak.  Don’t know if this applies to yours or not.  Judith is right about the washer too.  I have had to change those before.  Was it leaking with the other hose too?  If it was it may well be the washer.

Now I am going to talk a bit lol.  Remember I said a few days ago I feel sorry for my mom but.....  It is time for yearly maintenance on the generator.  I asked her if she had called anyone today when I took her groceries and home baked chocolate chip cookies to her.  She hadn’t of course because she has asked at least three people behind my back to remove it.  The only reason I know she wants this done is they have all three told me.  So the guy who installed it and did yearly maintenance is out of business.  Told her the guy was out of business and we would need to use a different company.  So she says she will get F to do it.  He is one of her men she likes to hire to do things.  Yes she has asked him to remove generator.  He is not an electrician.  I said well not anybody can do it, you have to get an electrician who works on the brand you have.  I said I have found one, my sister used him and liked him.  She said well you can call and make appt.  She said F said he will buy it if we get rid of it, he has worse water problems than me.  I said well we aren’t selling it.  So came home, called him and got appt set up.  She calls me a bit later and says don’t make that appt. I am not paying him, that thing never kicks on.  I said I have already made the appt.  She said you can cancel it or you can pay for it.  Guess I’ll be paying for it.  Have to keep telling myself cheaper than assisted living and no one can tell me she has to move.  Just frustrating because I already have several extra bills this month and next.  Oh well thanks for listening.

On a brighter front I have been seeing quite a few humming birds.  A neighbor told me she use to see gold finches but doesn’t any more.  Well they are coming and eating my sun flower seeds.  Brings a smile to my face.  Hopefully next year there will be coneflowers too and oh how they love them.  Yesterday found a little tree frog curled up under a zinnia petal told you about that.  Yes I feel like I’m home, was hoping to have all those things.  Now I have to try and get better at making this their little paradise.  I consider them friends too.

Take care