RSS Feed Print
Just need to talk to my friends (103)
jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 11:51 AM

Just in...the recipe for the Queens' favorite dessert!

https://www.womensweeklyfood.com.au/recipes/queen-elizabeth-ii-birthday-chocolate-cake-28977

what, pray tell, is a sponge cake tin?

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 11:54 AM

What is a paste tomato???
Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:26 PM

Back again,

Thanks, Judith and Sara, I hadn't thought about the washer.  I think Charles had bought a bag of different sizes so they'd be in the box with all the hose repair stuff.  I'll look when I feel better.

I just finished having Cream of Celery soup for lunch with crackers.  When I was in the store I forgot to buy more canned soup.  I have plenty of cream of tomato but not sure that would be good for me so if I feel like it later today I'll make some potato soup.  I have a package of cheesy  potato soup mix but not sure I'm ready for cheese.   I just sneezed three or four times and it hurt just as coughing does.  Hate that I can't have couscous any more.

Judith, are you watering your caladiums?  I've been watering mine but they're still not pretty and full like they should be, at least two pots aren't.  I need to water the ones in the two smaller pots on the steps.  I think of it when I come inside but then forget it.

Don't know about phenobarbital.  Used to be you took phenobarbital and Dilantin to prevent seizures.  We had a poodle years ago who had seizures and I had to give him Pheno. every night.  I think that's what Sarah's taking. She has a doctor's appointment tomorrow, in fact, two or three, so maybe she'll tell him she needs something different.  I did read you should not take it with anxiety drugs and two or three other things that I think she's taking.  I don't really know what she's taking or if she's taking what she should.  Worries the heck out of me when I talk to her and she's so groggy she can't complete a sentence or I can't understand her.  I think a lot of her problem right now is that she's stressing over T. not being there.  He'll tell her he's coming by to bring her juice or whatever and he doesn't show up or he's coming to do something at the house and he doesn't show.  He needs to remember that she can't drive and if she goes anywhere she has to take a cab which is expensive.  She does use Sooner Ride for her doctor's appointments now - he used to take her.  I don't feel that it's my place to interfere but sometimes I feel like it - but, it wouldn't do any good but it does keep me upset.

Sara - I know you worry about your mother - I don't think there's any way a person can't worry.  Does she use the generator somehow about her water or just the power to the house?  We have a company in Tulsa, also in OKC, who does maintenance twice a year.  I pay them at the first of the year and he'll call the day before to see if it's okay to come the next day.  Really a nice guy but the generator has been an expense even though it gives a person a sense of security if the power does go out. 

My mother used to make tomato juice and she had a cone-shaped metal thing that you'd put the cooked tomatoes in and then use a wooden thing to push the tomatoes through.  Don't know what you call it but it was big and long enough to reach to the bottom and then you rolled it around the sides.  It's probably here somewhere - in fact, I think Charles and I had one, too.  Those times are gone for me so they won't be used any more. 

The weather just said the heat index is already 108 so it'll probably get to 115 by 4 p.m.  They're promising cooler weather after tomorrow, for a few days.  The GPs went out when I got up this morning and stayed for a couple of hours but they were more than ready to come in - didn't even have to call Sheena twice. 

Not having much pain today but there's soreness enough to go around, especially when I get up out of a chair or cough or sneeze.  Just took my Flagyl - so far, no metallic taste but I know it's coming.    I'm yawning so may go into the bedroom and take a nap later.  I have QVC on now - Bob Mackie's show.  Such pretty clothes but hardly anything I would wear to the feed store or grocery store.  Showing striped pants now.  I have a pair I bought in the early summer and still haven't worn.  I can't understand why people want to buy clothes that are torn - jeans with holes in the knees and worn looking on the legs - same with denim jackets.  One of the women at the feed store a couple of weeks ago had on a pair of jeans with the knees cut out and I saw someone on TV wearing the same thing.  We never even wore something like that here on the farm - maybe patches, but not holey pants.  Guess I'm getting too old for this new fashion. If I get new clothes I want them to look new, not worn out.

Just talked with Sarah - she's kind of out of it again today - crying and saying she thinks she's dying - still talking about a marriage she had more than a dozen years ago.  What do you do to try to get her out of that?  Maybe nothing.

I miss Karen - she was always someone I could call and talk with when I felt down or needed to talk - just miss knowing she's there - we practically grew up together.  I was barely 19 and she was almost 18 when we met - never a cross word between us in all those years.  She and Carol were like sisters to me - Lorita was ten years older so I was practically an only child.

I've talked enough so I'll stop and get to that nap.  I'm ready for fall!

Sayra
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:30 PM

A paste tomato is sort of oval shaped around  4in long and a couple of inches wide.  It’s more meaty, less seeds and juice.  They are considered to be more for processing spaghetti sauce etc.

The sponge cake tin.  I don’t know a lot about this.  My mom use to make angel food cake from scratch which takes a bunch of egg whites.  She would then make a sponge cake from the yolks that was left.  The best I can remember she baked the sponge cake in the same pan she baked the angel food cake in, which I call a tube pan. Maybe there is a special sponge cake tin, not sure.

Sayra
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 2:06 PM

We must have been typing at same time Lorita.  When it rains really hard we have had water in the basement.  We had some things done and since then we have not had any water in the basement.  But when it rains hard many times the generator kicks on every 30 seconds.  I would lay there and count it.  It was right under where I slept.  If we would have lost power guessing we would have a flooded basement.  The full house generator is also a huge plus when you go to sell the house.  

Anytime you have inflammation and pain it usually leaves you with soreness.  Cream of celery probably ok.  Celery would not be ok.  lol the last house I owned before the two I have now I had a 90 yo neighbor that I really enjoyed.  She ate a lot of celery and had some issues like you.  She landed up in the hospital.  The GI doc came into her room and said repeat after me, I do not like celery.  Later I was at her house and she had a plate and some celery.  She was sitting there pulling the strings off.  She said I’m going to pull off all the strings and then I’m going to eat it.

ronald71111
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 3:52 PM

Have not enjoyed mr last 24 hours, but maybe its changing for the better.

Every evening lou starts a routine of not knowing where she is, does she have any of her people around and wanting to go home. Most of the time I explain things to her and she's ok. Yesterday was one of those occasions where explanations doesnt work and every few minutes it's the same questions over and over. I try my best to stay calm, but can't help my tone in my voice changes, which doesnt help to calm the waters.

My appointment change with va also had me upset because I have issues I need to discuss. I thought it was solved when i received a text that a earlier appointment was available. I called the call center and it had already been filled.  Told them I'd just as soon not receive text messages. 

I decided this afternoon to send my new Dr. a message with my concerns. I received a call from his nurse a little while ago, who had read the message. She told me there was a opening sept 5th.

Finally things are looking better! Lou is better, I have a earlier appointment and it just now rained a little to cool down a little.

Ron

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 9:22 PM

Hi,

The metallic taste from the Flagyl has arrived.

Sandymac
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 7:18 AM

Ron....thank you, on behalf of our boys, for your beautiful memories of them, they did their job, and, as you said, were ignored for many years.  We were lucky...my brothers number didn’t come up.  He was in the reserves for several years though. (Part time soldier)

Toni, glad that all went well for Kens celebration of life...it’s hard at the time, but I think we are in such a state of shock at the time that it helps us get through.  You take care of yourself now.

I think the "paste" tomatoes are what we call Roma.  They are so meaty and perfect for cooking down into a paste.  Plus can be milled and bottled raw for sauce

Lorita, I don’t think that couscous would cause a problem with your diverticulitis...I know it looks like little seeds, but is just a kind of pasta, so would be soft and shouldn’t affect you.   Did you ask your doctor?

I saw my dr about my shoulder today.   I was concerned that he may suggest surgery but he decided to try cortisone injection first.   I just have to take things easy for the next few weeks.  Good excuse not to do housework?

Off to school tomorrow for grandparents day...my last one!  Then Saturday is the granddaughters soccer grand final, then Sunday a grandsons grand final.  I’m thinking of going to Canberra for a couple of days next week to see the Monet exhibition just have to get my rear into gear and GO!!!!    Everyone says how brave I am to travel by myself, but I keep putting off little trips like this.

Cheers everyone. Sandra

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 7:48 AM

Morning,

Just got back inside.  It's already pretty warm and will be hot again today.  I had planned to put a couple of sacks of feed in the feeder but there's a little in there so I'll wait.  My side is hurting this morning so I don't feel like lifting.   I moved the spider again - she has some fixation on the gate but if someone comes through and doesn't know she's there she might get killed.  I moved her over onto the top of the fence where there are clematis leaves.  We'll see what happens.

Sandra - I did tell the doctor (not my regular one) about the couscous and he thought it might be that because the pasta is so small.  It's the only thing different that I had eaten, however, I know I've eaten it since I had the last attack - who knows what caused it.  I just want to get rid of it.  It's my left side right at my waist line - feels like it does when I lift and turn with 50 lb. sacks but I haven't been doing that.

I'm glad the doctor decided to try cortisone injections.   I've had one cortisone shot in my shoulder last November and it was amazing how much it helped - takes a day or so for it to really kick in - and the shot didn't hurt.  I still have to be careful to not lift really heavy things or lay on that shoulder too much.  Boy, getting old is a lot of fun!  I saw a news clip this morning of a 100 year old woman - her voice and articiulation were as clear as a bell - don't know how she gets around.  I can tell my ambulation is not what it was a year or more ago, nor is my balance.

I think you're brave to travel by yourself.  I drove 50 miles every day for 33 years while I was working and didn't think anything about it but now I do.  I'm always glad when I get back home safely.

Ron, it sound like Lou may be beginning to experience sundowning.  I hope not.  So many people on the forum have had such a hard time with that.  Fortunately Charles had very little of that.  In the past the consensus was to close the drapes at mid afternoon and turn on all the lights so you couldn't tell it was getting dark.  I don't know if that helped or not.  I do hope today is better for you.

It seems hard to me to find what I should and should not eat or drink with diverticulitis.  One place may say I can have milk and ice cream while another says no.  I, as you all know, have OJ and CBJ every morning but I just read I shouldn't drink OJ but can have CBJ and grape juice.  So, guess no OJ for a while.  When I was in town I picked up a bottle of Simply Orange and when I got home discovered it was "light" - does not taste good.  I did that once before.  I got this one, I know, because the expiration date was later than the other bottles.  I'd like to have a honey bun for breakfast but some places it says to avoid sweets.  Maybe scrambled eggs and toast or an egg sandwich, Sandy.  I'd like to have some hash browns and it says I can have potatoes - we'll see.  Maybe one of you will know for sure if I can have dairy products - milk, ice cream, yogurt, cottage cheese.

Hope all of you have a good Wednesday.  Remember, Yellowstone is on tonight - only one more episode after the one tonight, this season.

Sayra
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 8:47 AM

That is right Sandy they are called Roma’s too.  Kind of forgot about that, thank you.

We had another severe thunderstorm and hail yesterday evening.  I’m guessing we are having a lot of these because of it being so much hotter than usual.  Still real dark this morning.  I’m cleaning house this morning.  

Hope the sun shines tomorrow.  Ever since I moved in here noticed one panel of front door had rust.  Finally had time to deal with it this week.  It was just surface rust.  When I sanded it shiny metal was underneath.  Was very glad that it was just on surface.  Hope to maybe paint it tomorrow.

Hope that side eases up for you Lorita.

ronald71111
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 8:51 AM

Lorita, lou has experienced sundowner fir some time now, but it seems like the past few months has gotten worse. I can feel your pain with diviticulitus! I have had stomach problems for quiet some time, diverticulosis disease but not difiticulisis. Stomach doctor would tell me certain things to eat and heart doctor would also tell me what to eat. Of course what was good for the heart wasn't good for the stomach and the same for the stomach wasn't good for the heart. I've learned over the years what to eat and if I want something bad enough, be prepared to pay the price. 

Just got lou up, going to fix breakfast; beacon, scrambled cheesy eggs and buttered toast from the oven and not the toaster (if you haven't tried it, it's so much better. Butter the bread, oven at 400 for 10 minutes(.

Ron

JudeV
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 10:48 AM

Lorita.  Just google it.  Ask for foods to avoid and foods you can have.  When I am in need of answers I just Google.

Started bowling league yesterday. Good way to meet people and a little exercise. Really need to practice, tho, my scores were low but we were getting our average so it was good.

I am painting rocks.  Paint black let dry and then paint a design with glow in the dark paint . At night they glow and look very pretty . I am not too artistic so I use stencils. Got to go, making chocolate chip cookies and peach cobbler .

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 11:38 AM

Lorita.....Dr Keener (one of the Drs I recommended for Sarah) says that the decision is 50/50 on whether or not seeds and nuts etc can be eaten. What causes the problem is a mal functioning bowel. Fiber s the key as to food. My friend does Metamucil and Marilax m/w/f. When you are having an attack you eat only bland, almost through a straw consistency, and treat with antibiotics so that you do not have a "blow out'. 

Fiber is important so juice and a honey bun , while good, do not help your bowels.

You can google for food that are high in fiber.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diverticulitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20371758

By the way, My daughters gastro says the same thing.

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 7:15 PM

Hi,

It's been a trying day  trying to deal with Sarah.  Did talk with Todd so now I know both sides of it.  Side's still hurting some  - just took the Flagyl - everything, even my lips, taste like metal but if it helps, that's okay.

There was a really big t-storm about 7 miles east of us, then it collapsed and they think the downdraft did some damage.  We got cooler wind but no rain.  If it keeps on like this our trees, elm especially, will be defoliated.

Ron- I've had the oven toast and you're so right, it is much better  - but I don't want to heat up the kitchen right now - but later I will.  My friend, Karen, used to make toast in a skillet when they went camping - never did that.

I hope today was better with Lou and the sundowning.  Have you noticed that she's worse when the moon's full?  Years ago there was so much talk of that - we could tell when the moon was full without looking at it or the calendar just by the way our husbands were acting.

Judy, I've googled and googled - sometimes it's the same, others different.  Finally did find one place where the foods to eat were spelled out pretty well.  I'm complying.  I've had applesauce and toast a couple of times and a baked potato and cottage cheese this evening for supper.  I knew I had this some years ago so found the journal for August 2014 and I was having applesauce and toast then.  Seems it lasted 8 or 9 days at least then.  Flagyl did the trick.

Charles and I used to bowl in the VA League and really enjoyed it.  Then Mr. Arthur got into my right thumb and enlarged it too much to bowl.  It was good exercise.

I had a friend I worked with for years and she painted rocks.  Didn't paint them black with the glow in the dark paint though.   She did such pretty work.  I still have one and a bar of soap she also painted.  She'd paint pretty pictures on her lamp shades, too.

You all are so right - Roma tomatoes.  The only problem with growing them, or maybe it isn't a problem, is that they all ripen at the same time - at least ours did.  They are very good tomatoes though.

Thanks, Judith.  I know I should eat more fiber and when I'm over this flare - I will.  Seems like I just get into a rut and eat the same things over and over.  I need to get back to having oats for breakfast and I will when the weather's a bit cooler (our weatherman says the weather pattern is changing and it's even going to be below normal temps around the last of August and First week of Sept.).  I bought a watermelon and I know it has fiber so can't eat it until this improves. 

I'm going to see if I can get an appointment with Dr. Keener for Sarah.  Seems I remember that we tried that and since she was Dr. D's patient he wouldn't see her. 

How's your shoulder?  Did you get a Cortisone shot and did it help?

Our electricity went out this afternoon about the time of the t-storm east of us - all the way south to Patsy's area.  She was almost in a panic - so hot she could hardly breathe.  Finally went outside to sit under the pecan tree about the time it came back on.  Our generator came on, thank goodness.  Our power came back on about half an hour after hers.

There's a Ken Burn's show on now about the National Parks.  Looks like it'll be good - then Yellowstone at 9 - don't forget!  Took an afternoon nap, in the bed, so good.  I think I'll make a habit of that.

Sayra
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 7:27 PM

Have never raised Roma tomatoes.  Makes sense that they would all ripen at once since they are a processing tomato

We have had so many severe thunderstorms this summer.  We had a doozy yesterday eve including small hail.  It was so wet out this morning I just stayed inside and worked.  This afternoon was pretty so I got out.  Usually just the back yard has sticks.  The front and back were full of sticks.  I have them all picked up again.

littleme
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 9:33 PM

Hi everyone

Just had a couple of cheeky visitors in my tiny backyard, so thought I'd share their photos.

These are native white-backed magpies, quite large birds, very intelligent, and very good at getting people to feed them with minced meat. There a quite a few in the big gum trees around the village, and usually they live in family groups. But these 2 have been kicked out of the family and live together on the opposite side of the property, just outside my front door. I suspect the oldest, which has more white feathers but not the complete white back he should have, is a male who never fully developed. Occasionally some of the family will visit, and then they attack him, get him down on the ground and beat him up. He screams until one of his humans comes to his rescue and scares away his attackers.

The other bird is either an immature male which has yet to develop his white back feathers, or a female, as she never gets the white patch.

Several of my neighbours feed these birds regularly, but I refuse to, as they sit on the bench on my front verandah and call loudly, but also make a mess with their droppings. If they want to be fed, they run up to your feet, pretending to have a broken wing, and making the same call that the babies do. They do have a very musical call, and wake me at sunrise every morning with their dawn chorus -- sometimes I wish they wouldn't. 

The family raises chicks in spring, and are very protective of the nest. They have a reputation for swooping on people walking or riding bikes near the nest, and sometimes will even cause bleeding on someone's head. When I was a child, riding a bike near the nest was dangerous. But now experts tell us that they learn to recognise faces and people, and only attack those they either don't know, or they remember caused them trouble in the past.

So here are my morning visitors.

Barbara

File Attachment(s):
2 cheeky magpies small.jpg (29001 bytes)
2 magpies small.jpg (56661 bytes)
magpie on clotesline small.jpg (40698 bytes)

Sayra
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 4:18 AM

Barbara thanks for sharing.  Don’t think I have ever seen a magpie.   Enjoy watching the birds.  Try to not let them nest close to the house because as you said they really make a mess.

Only suppose to be in mid 70s today but they are giving thunderstorms again.  So much for my theory about the heat causing so many of them.  I have already cleaned the yard up twice this week.   Thankful that it’s just minor stuff.

ronald71111
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 7:07 AM

Morning, Today is a happy and sad day for me! 51 years ago my first son was born. Also today, family members will be gathering in Iowa for a celof life for my brother that recently passed away from complications of a long time illness with crohn's disease.  It is sad that I'm not able to make the trip to pay my resp, but everyone understands my situation and our birthday boy is making the drive from Dallas to represent my immediate family. 

Ran out of cookies for lou to snack on and when asked what she wanted me to make, a quick response was those toll house cookies o made last time. So yesterday was busy in the kitchen baking cookies. Trying to keep her happy is becoming work, but she's worth it!

Had some delicious Louisiana peaches the other day and saved some seeds. My brother in texas planted a seed in his back yard one year and had no problem with it growing. I remember growing up my parents had a peach tree on side of yard and plums in the backyard along with figs. I can remember my grandmother standing by the fig bush (or is it tree?), picking and eating right off the tree. Was a railroad track right across the street and the blackberries were plentiful.  Needless to say we had a lot of cobblers, pies and preserves.  Found memories that I need to recapture in my empty back yard.

Ron

Lorita
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 8:02 AM

Morning,

We've actually had a few drops of rain but the little thunderstorm moved on north.  Of course, I got most of the rain on me while I was outside.  I'm up but not much at 'em - still hurting, mostly around my waistline and over my hip bone now.  Just now took an acetaminophen and drinking some CBJ - will take the medicine in a few minutes.

I wouldn't wish this stuff on my worst enemy and I do not want it again - said that six years ago but here I am.  If it's not much better by Saturday I'll go back to urgent care.  Really wish my doctor was not on vacation,.

Barbara - the pictures of the magpies are so good.  Are they about the size of crows?  Looks kind of like it.  I really like birds but for some reason it doesn't seem like there's as many as there used to be.  We don't windfarms close to us but they say they're doing a job on the birds.  Still don't know if the little bird is setting or not - don't want to disturb her if she is but I haven't seen her fly out.  I know what you mean about birds making a mess, especially big ones, so don't blame you.  Sounds like they could double for roosters as far as waking you in the mornings.   I think either you or Sandra posted pictures of magpies a year or so ago.  There's some kind of bird around here that gets in the road ahead of you and acts like she's hurt - guess she's protecting her nest or little ones.

Ron, it sounds like you're becoming quite the cook and baker.  I love chocolate chip cookies.   Happy birthday to your son - I'm sure you and Lou are so proud of him.  I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your brother.  So, it is a bittersweet day for both of you.

That's our job - to try to keep our husband or wife happy and content while they deal with this disease - and while we deal with the disease.  Pretty hard to do sometimes.

Ron, I think it may be a fig tree.  Years ago at the VAMC there was a huge fig tree across the street from the hospital by one of the buildings where doctors used to live.  I never ate any of them but they said they were good.  Also, my sister had a fig tree in her backyard and she loved to eat them from the tree.  The power company came through and cut down the tree so I bought a new one for her but don't think it ever had figs on it.  I've never eaten a fig - except the cookies. 

You mentioned cobblers; we had lots of cobblers when I was growing up, too.  My grandmother and mother and now me, made them with a bottom crust and a top crust made from pie dough.  To me, a cobbler isn't a cobbler without a bottom crust.  How were the ones you had made?

Somewhere I read - can't find it now - that someone was making a peach cobbler.  I love peach cobblers, probably my favorite.  Wish I could remember where I read that - may have been a couple of days ago..  The old memory is not what it used to be.

I'm going to do my best to not stress out about Sarah today.  That'll be a job.  The creepfeeder is empty - just saw a couple of little ones go by toward it.  I called our vet this morning about it and he said he'd take care of it for me.  I so hate to ask for help and try to do everything I can but I'm just afraid to lift those sacks right now.  At least I did get the feed Monday. He filled it once for me when I was going through the weakness syndrome I had.  I would have asked Darwin but he's older than I am but I know he'd have been glad to do it for me.  Good to have good friends and neighbors.

Just saw a baby go back by the yard and no rain. 

Sayra
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 10:57 AM

Wrote a post it disappeared. 

Lou and I agree, a little dessert every day.  Sorry Ron about the loss of your brother.

Remember that type of cobbler Lorita and it is my favorite too.  Maybe I will try to make one someday.

Rained all morning but no storm so far.  Thankful for that.  Maybe I will mess around a little this afternoon.  Too wet to do much else.

Hard not to worry,  but feel that I have been doing a little better about that thankfully.  Most of the time we have no control.  Little hard for me to understand when I have always asked many people around me for their opinions.  Life is hard enough so I am happy for any help I can get.  Maybe they don’t understand the way I do. Usually think about it for awhile too.

Take care

Rescue mom
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 11:23 AM

Ohhh I miss figs. Everybody had a fig bush when I was growing up in SC. Nobody ever called them trees although they could get 6 -+ feet tall. Maybe because they did not have a bare trunk? The branches grow out at ground level and upward, like a big round ball, and bear fruit from ground level up. Kids could slip under the branches and “hide” inside.

You just went out and ate off the tree. They are too soft and mushy to ship well. I do see some in the store sometimes, but they are very expensive, usually hard and no flavor—like the peaches we get in store (we grew those, too). Now Unless you grow your own it’s so hard to find. Most are grown to ship, not for flavor....funny thing is, I really don’t like fig jam, or fig cookies, or anything fig except the actual little fruit itself. I gave up on buying peaches, but nectarines seem a good substitute! 

There is no substitute for a home-grown tomato, in a sandwich with mayo and white bread...Gave up on those, too. The little Roma’s seem better for flavor, but don’t work so well,for sandwiches! Here in Florida in winter they grow huge, beautiful tomatos that do not have even a hint of flavor. But they are red, firm and ship well (sigh). They really are picked green, then gassed to make them red.

Down here you learn to enjoy the tropical fruits. But I do miss figs, peaches, and tomatoes.

ElyVet
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 11:24 AM

MY favorite cobbler growing up was

Cup of flour

Cup of milk

Cup of sugar

Stick of butter

Any fruit you want

Being in the South we did peaches all the time in a black iron pan.

Shirley

ElyVet
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 11:28 AM

I grew up in SC also. Our neighbor had figs growing by her door as a shrub.

She gave them to us and we made preserves. Sure was good with butter biscuits.

Shirley

Rescue mom
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 11:31 AM

Lorita, I think you are right about fewer birds. I read and see so much on nature shows about bird population declining overall. But I confess I don’t pay as much attention as to why in your part of the country. 

Down here in FL it has a lot to do with loss of habitat/food, and the coastal erosion is is so great that birds that migrate across the Gulf (including some hummers) can’t make the distance anymore, which sounds just horrible to me. And the conditions favor birds like the Corvids and jays that kill other birds. And gulls do well anyplace with trash.

But I think there is wide agreement that there is not as many “songbird” type birds now as used to be.

Rescue mom
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 11:34 AM

Elyvet, you’re right! Everybody had them by the door or by a shed. Local wisdom was that they needed to be next to a wall, they did not do well just growing out in the open. And you never saw one anywhere except in a corner or by a wall. I don’t know if that’s for real, it’s just what I always heard.
ronald71111
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 12:53 PM

Yes Lorita, you have to have the pie crust on bottom as well as top if you want a good cobbler.  If you have never eaten any homemade fig preserves, you have missed out on some good eating. 

Ron

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 1:27 PM

If you have a crust on the top and bottom why isn't it a pie???

Shirley....what do you do with the ingredients. We buy peaches and watermelons from a guy with a truck about a mile from her who just parks in a field..

I like miracle whip with certain things...mayo with others like egg salad. I do not see them as actually interchangeable. 

New recipe from Veteren's Kid. Chicken breast (she pounds hers), mayo and parmesan. 

Sayra
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 4:07 PM

Have never eaten a fig.  Don’t know what they look like.  I do like fig newtons.

That cobbler is basically pie without the thick crust part.

You can get peaches and nectarines here in Ohio.  They get killed quite a few years and this year was one of those years.  Think there is suppose to be plenty of apples though.  Wish someone would come around selling good watermelons.  They do in Ky but don’t see it where I live.  I got peaches brought on I think from s Carolina.  The ones I bought were not very good so I gave up for this year.

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 5:57 PM

Memory said wait, I have had a cobbler...not two crusts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobbler_(food)

JudeV
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 6:19 PM

I was the one who posted peach cobbler. 

Melt one stick of butter in cast iron skillet in 350 oven

Mix 1 cup flour

I cup sugar

1 cup milk

1 tsp baking powder

Pour on melted butter  

ADD I quart of fruit on top don’t stir 

I used fresh peaches

Bake 1hr

telinde
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 7:08 PM

Hi all.  Not a lot going on here.  Just got home from a birthday party at the nursing home for a lady turning 99 today.  I can’t believe she still walks with a cane, is sharp minded, and loved being the center of attention.  She still loves to eat and talked the entire time we were there.  Amazing.

We have magpies here too.  They are the size of a small crow and similar black and white coloring.  They are vulture like here, live in families, and very protective of their nests.  Since most neighbors quit feeding birds on their decks, they have moved away from our cul-de-sac.  I’m happy about that.  They’re very noisy birds.

Ed, I’m sorry to hear about your brother.  Glad your son could represent the family.  I hope he finds a bit of time to celebrate his birthday.

Lorita, I remember the last time you had a flare up and how painful it was.  I hope you get feeling better soon.  Prayers for Sarah.  I hope she gets help soon.  Sounds like she needs it.

I bought peaches and a couple of tomatoes at the farmers market Saturday.  Both were ripe and delicious.  I about ready to start making jams and jellies for my friends.  It’s one of my fun things to do.  I love figs.  I eat dried figs most of the time.  We rarely get fresh figs here.  Dates are also a favorite.

Bears are taking over the town of Aspen.  A couple days ago, there were sittings of 17 bears in one day.  Several people bitten, one swatted , and one attacked on a trail.  None killed, but puncher wounds and cuts.  They haven’t said what the plan is to chase them off.  Last year there was a mom and two cubs in a tree right in the middle of town.  I think they were trapped and released in the back country.  

LMG hasn’t come to mow yet this week, so no new horror stories.  Maybe tomorrow.  

Hi to everyone.  Have a great rest of the week.  Joan

Sandymac
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2019 5:29 AM

Barbara...love the Maggie’s.  think I did put a photo up a year or two ago.  We used to have them as regular visitors before I moved.........don’t you love their warble?

Quiet here at the moment.  Nowhere near as cold as it has been and, thank goodness, the wild winds have stopped...for the moment.

Shoulder's feeling a lot better, and if I stop using it, it might be ok

Gcheers....Sandra 

Sayra
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2019 5:54 AM

Dates are one of my favorites.

Glad your shoulder is feeling some better Sandy.

Lorita
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2019 8:22 AM

Morning,

Well, we finally got our rain - .3" yesterday and 2.2" last night and it's raining cats and dogs now.  I just got back in from feeding the cats and backing the PU farther back into the carport. Also put the CW in the carport.  I was worried about the cats - I have two outside boys and only saw one yesterday morning.  They're both there this morning.  Didn't get down to see the girls - they're a quarter mile away and it was raining when I was out - hope they're okay.

Judy and Shirley - we call those quick cobblers.  Oh, so good.  I made so many of them a few years ago when we were picking blackberries in the pastures.  Boy, what I wouldn't give for a peach cobbler right now - and to be able to eat it.

Judith - I guess one reason they're not a pie is because we never made them in a piepan - guess in reality they could be called a deep dish pie. Sometimes I made the quick cobbler in an iron skillet and sometimes in a 9x9 dish.  The cobblers were always made in a 9x13 pan.   I see cobblers on TV all the time - but with only one crust and either biscuits or something else on top.  We always put a little bit of cream on ours.

Joan - it is amazing how some people can make it to the 90s or 100s and still be so alert and with it.  At the rate I'm going I'll be lucky to be alert at 80.  I would never have thought about being close to 80 years old.

So, we have another LMG - sure hope he's not like the first one.  I'm so thankful for the rain - things were getting really brown.  The elm trees were almost leafless and lots of grass had turned brown in the pastures.  There's still a lot of green but this will be so much better.  Maybe it'll get us through for another month or so.  Can you believe we're under a flash flood watch?  I'm sitting in the chair looking out the front door at the pond in front of the house - it's raining so hard it looks foggy.  I love rain.  I remember years ago when daddy was in the NH the first thing he'd ask when we went to see him was "did you get some rain?"  Guess that's a farmer for you.

It's sad, Rescue Mom, about the birds.  Years ago when we lived in the MH mocking birds would wake us up in the mornings.  I hardly ever see one now.  And the bees, man is really doing a job on the planet.  I watch a lot of nature shows and almost every animal is having problems surviving.  This morning on the news they were reporting about the awful fires in the Amazon - burning the rain forests and just think of all the animals that the fires are killing, too.  Another animal I see far fewer of now is rabbits.  They used to be everywhere and I only occasionally see one on the road when I go to town.  Guess the coyotes have taken care of that.  I think spraying insecticides is probably the biggest problem with the birds and bees.  What kind of bird is a Corvin - never heard of them. 

I've never eaten a fig either but I guess they're good.  I don't even see them in the stores but I imagine in big cities they're there.

Joan - I looked up when I had diverticulitis the first time - it was in August 2013 - it's hard to believe it's been that long.  But, it is a pain you won't forget and won't want to have again.  When I woke up this morning at 3 my side wasn't hurting but after a bit it began.  I didn't get up but did take a pain pill and it's not hurting now.  I'm on the 5th day of taking the medication and the metallic taste in my mouth is awful - it says that's one of the side effects of the drug  - it alters your taste buds.  I've had a graham cracker and am working on a banana now.  Also some CBJ. 

A bear is one thing we haven't seen around here but I imagine there are bears in the mountain ranges south of here.  We have what we call a mountain west of here - Tiger Mountain - and there's probably some there.  I hope they don't kill the bears and move them to another place.

Sara - I still haven't tried that chocolate lava cake in a mug - still have the recipe.  When I feel better and can eat it, I'll try it as let you know.

Sandra, nice that the weather has improved- just like ours. Before we know it'll be Spring for you and Barbara and Fall for us. Take care of that shoulder,- hard not to use it

Hope all of you have a good Friday.  I forgot about Doc Martin last night but it'll be on again Sunday night. 

Back later.

Rescue mom
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2019 11:19 AM

My mother had bouts of diverticulitis and said the pain was terrible. She was a stoic farm girl, and if she said it hurt, I knew it did. Back then they told her to not eat nuts and seeds, and I don’t rememeber what meds, but hopefully better ones now.  But that pain is awful. I hope yours improves; untreated severe pain brings its own problems.

Corvids are a bird family, it includes ravens, crows, rooks, magpies, and a bunch more. 

LOL on me, I thought it would be shorter/quicker to type Corvids than all the names, but my spell check doesn’t like that word so it probably took longer.