RSS Feed Print
Just need to talk to my friends (103)
Lorita
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2019 4:02 PM

Hi,

Good to know what Corvids are.  There are some words my tablet just won't let me type either.  I occasionally see a crow but not as many as when I was growing up. 

I did something today I've never done.  I was watching TV around 10:45 or so and thought I'd lay down on the divan to watch.  I did, went to sleep and woke up around noon, saw a little of the news and weather, went back to sleep and woke up at 3 p.m.  Guess that made up for waking up so early this morning and a couple of mornings ago.  All of this was fine with the three dogs and two cats - they slept, too.

I was hurting some when I woke up so just took an acetaminophen.  I missed my noon dose of medicine.  You know, I haven't eaten popcorn, strawberries, any kind of nuts and a few other things for six years - love those things, too.  I think that now they don't completely recommend leaving off this things but who in the world who has ever had diverticulitis wants to take the  chance - not me.  I feel sorry for your mom if they didn't have good medicines for it.  I'm taking the generic form of Flagyl and it really messes up your taste along with having that metallic taste but I can put up with that if he helps and it did before and will this time.  Just takes a while - it's only been a week tomorrow.

Mike's coming this afternoon to fill the creeper.  It was raining this morning so he couldn't - we've had at least 3" of rain.  A town about 25 miles west of us has had 5". More to come. 

Going to stop and find something to eat - kind of hungry - but I haven't lost weight.

ronald71111
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2019 8:54 AM

I've been making pies or cakes, but more since we've been talking so much about cobblers, I'm wanting to try my hands at it. Going to look through my mom's cookbook and try to make one like she use to. Lou use to put bird seed out in the front yard and watch all the different pretty birds come in the yardshe enjoyed sitting in front of the window watching till some loud mouthed bird told the blackbirds about free food and they took over the yard.

Well, how dumb can a caregiver be? Most of the time when lou falls it's because she doesn't lock the walker. I finally got her into the habit of locking it when she sits down, but when she stops at the morrow to comb her hair, she doesn't. I tell her ; if you stop, lock it! Yesterday, as she was combing her hair and didn't lock the walker, I decided to demonstrate. I told her, watch me, this is what happens if you dont lock it. I grabbed the handles, being careful not to hurt myself, and pretended to lose my balance. In the process of being careful, I stumped my toe and this morning I have one black tie. Now to top it off, a couple of times this morning I get a bad catch in my back after bending over. When I try to straighten up I feel like I'm going to fall. I have a history of back trouble, but has been years since I've had a problem. 

Hopefully today I will keep from hurting myself. No more demonstrations!

Ron

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2019 9:04 AM

Ron....it sounds like you have a rollater. The old fashioned walker with the tennis balls on the front legs is much safer.

My mother would make a Betty...that was as serious as her baking went except for Christmas time when  she, with help, would make cookies. Cutouts and pecan balls. She would fill up several Jay's potato chip cans with the cut outs...enough to last through New Year's. The pecan balls never lasted that long!

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2019 12:09 PM

Morning,

This morning when I looked out all the windows in the house were fogged up - couldn't imagine why but when I went outside it was so humid - warmer outside than in but not really hot.  The girls are all laying down enjoying the wet grass and cooler weather.

I woke up again at 3:30 and couldn't go back to sleep - too  many things to think about.  Finally got up at 6:45, fed cats, saw girls and went to the mailbox.  I don't think I've been this week.  

Sarah is back in the hospital.  She vomited blood quite a long time yesterday so I told her to all the ambulance.  Todd texted me a short time afterward and I told him so he called her and she had not called so he did.  She's not in a room yet but is admitted - vomiting has stopped.  I called to see if she had been admitted when I woke up at 3:30 and talked to her briefly.  She said her purse had been left in the ambulance.  I tried to call them this morning and the main office is closed.  I texted him and told him so maybe he can take care of it.  Had a nice, long conversation with him last night so have learned more about what's going on.

Sarah isn't able to be by herself and we don't know what to do about it.  She's talking about not wanting to live.  I don't think she'd intentionally do anything but might overdose by mistake - taking a pill, forgetting and taking another one.

Mike came last night and filled the creepfeeder so I don't have to worry about that for a couple of weeks and maybe by then I'll be able to do it myself.  He said to let him know if I needed him to do anything.  That, with all the work he has to do.  He's lost a lot of sleep this week - they're getting their winter feed in and because it's been so hot they're unloading at night.

When I woke up my side was hurting so after I was awake a while took a pain pill.  It was better when I got up - but it's hurting some again - not the lower abdomen but around my hip bone and waist - time for another pill.  Still have eight Flagyl  pills left so maybe by the time I complete them it will be better.  I'm trying to do almost all liquids for a couple of days and I'm hungry!   Did have a very small bowl of corn flakes and almond milk and have had CBJ, grape juice and hot tea.  I can't remember how long it took to get over it completely six years ago.  I keep a daily journal and I can't find the one for that year - only some information about it in the journal I only write in occasionally. 

Ron, you were trying to help Lou and I'm sorry  you hurt your toe.  You wouldn't think an injured toe would bother a person so much but it does.  You mentioned looking through your mother's cookbook - that should be fun if she wrote in the margins.  I have an old Watkin's Cookbook that my mother used, then my sister when she got married.  As she tried recipes she'd write whether it was good or not.  I used to make something called Cottage Pudding.  Not really pudding-like, more like a cake and I made chocolate or lemon sauce to put over it.  You didn't cut it, but spooned it out - at least I did.  It was so good - haven't made that in years, maybe not since I got married.  Also there was a chocolate pie recipe that was delicious.  That was daddy's favorite pie so I made it quite often, even after Charles and I got married.  Now, if I make a pie, guess who has to eat all of it.   One of the quick cobblers would be better and that should last two or three days, or more.

I'm taking it easy today - just have to mop up the water two or three times a day.  Next week when I feel better and since it's supposed to be cooler I'll call the man who does floor repairs and get an estimate.  I'm seriously thinking about not doing anything with the refrigerator - one's really enough for me except for the freezer compartment.  Maybe just a small deep freeze - or maybe another refrigerator.  May call and see what another company would charge to fix the one I have.  Undecided yet.   Seems like there's so many decisions to make.

Todd and I talked last night about what would be best for Sarah.  She's not able to cope on her own with all her problems and medications.  Maybe something will come of this hospitalization that will help us decide.

Patsy's husband had an eye exam yesterday with not very good news.  He has glaucoma but his pressure was 10 and 11.  Mine and Patsy's usually run in the mid to upper teens so I can't understand the lower number for him.  But, the doctor did find a hole in his macula - don't know what that means - never heard of it before.  He has cataracts but she said extraction wouldn't help his vision much.  He says his vision is getting worse. 

Cloudy to partly sunny here today and fairly cool but humid.  Flash flood warnings SE of us.  We ended up with 3.4" of rain and I can actually tell the grass looks greener already - probably my imagination.

Judith, I noticed this morning that I have more caladiums coming up, too.  Weird year for them.  Still loving the metal hose.  I found this morning that to coil it up I need to hold it in my right hand so it will coil right.  Tried it holding it with the left hand and it didn't coil right.  I ordered some wrap-it ties to hold all the vinyl hoses so will  have to coil them and probably hang them in the carport if I can lift them high enough to get them on the nails on the boards that higher up.  Not right away though.

I think I'll scramble an egg and have that with a piece of toast or half a sandwich - juice and water isn't getting it.

Hope all of you enjoy the Saturday.  On Saturday mornings there's a show on TV called Unwrapped 2.0 where they show how different foods are made.  This morning one of the things was See's Peanut Brittle - made me think of Judith and Jo.  Really looked good - nice and thin.

ronald71111
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2019 12:47 PM

Just finished giving lou a bath and I'm worn out! My back hurt me a few times, especially when I was bent over and when I would try to straighten up, it hit me. I believe I've mentioned that I have one of those bathtub seats that you sit on it outside of the tub and move yourself over into the tub. It's long enough to go into the tub and part be on the outside. I also have a couple of bars on the wall for her to hold onto when I need her to stand. We had a big fight trying to get her in there this morning but later she settled down and was real good. Need to learn I can't do things for her when its convenient for me.

Lorita, my sister had suggested to our mom before she passed away to write down all the meals and desserts we had growing up. She did and my sister put it in book form for all of us kids and the grandchildren. Mom wrote a personal note in each one. So anytime we want something like I mom use to fix we just go to the book. Of course it doesnt have her touch to it, but it is a good reminder of her. 

Ron

Sweetwater
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2019 3:56 PM

All of this talk about cobblers has prompted me to dig into my recipes for one that my Mother gave me over 30 years ago.

Preheat oven to 350. 

Mix together:  

1 stick - margarine or butter, melted

1 - cup flour

1 cup - milk

1 T - baking powder

1 T - vanilla

1 T - lemon juice

1 cup - sugar

Pour mixture over one can of peaches in an oven safe bowl. Bake 1 hour. Enjoy.

Sweetwater.

Lorita
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2019 9:28 PM

Hi,

Well, as the song says "I did it again".  Woke up at 3:30 - no more sleep and about noon the divan looked so inviting so thought I'd lay down a few minutes.  I woke up at 3:30, watched TV half an hour and went back to sleep until 6 p.m.  I have to quit doing that because I've felt awful since then - makes my head feel funny.  Did get out to see everyone, then remembered I hadn't seen Penny, the heifer with horns, so went back to see her.  I wanted to make sure she wasn't bloated.  Sometimes when the creepfeeder is empty for a day or so and you fill it, they'll eat too much.  This morning I saw the other heifer at the feeder, not in at that time, but didn't see Penny.  Did see her and she's okay.  The girls have so enjoyed the cooler weather today.

Ron, I know what you mean about bathing problems.  Sometimes I had a hard time getting Charles into the shower and when I finally did he'd yell the whole time.  I even threatened to pick him up and put him in the shower - never did and couldn't anyway.  You're right, we have to pick our battles and sometimes do things on their schedule.

What a sweet thing to do about the recipes.  It was so good that your mother could do that - pass on her recipes.  I know even with their recipes, it never tastes the same.  When we're young we don't think about listening to stories they tell or ask questions.  Then, when we're older we wish we could remember or know those things.  If I had it to do over again, I'd have my grandma and mother tell me stories about things and names and either write them down or record them.   Now I have no one to ask.

Sweetwater - every time I see one of your posts I wonder if you're from Sweetwater, Texas - or Oklahoma.  We have a Sweetwater, too.  Thanks for the recipe.  All these good recipes - I'll be so glad when I can make and eat one of them.

Talked to Patsy a while ago.   A couple of days ago she said Jack had picked up a cold from someone in the library who was sneezing or coughing.  When I answered and she spoke she sounded awful.  She's caught his summer cold.  They're always so hard to get rid of, so on top of everything else now she has a cold.

They did admit Sarah but I haven't been able to talk with her today - they had her in an APU room until they had a bed upstairs and she couldn't get to the phone - needed her rest anyway.  They've moved her to a room now.  I tried to call but didn't get an answer for a long time, then someone asked who I was calling.  Sarah hadn't gotten up to the room yet.  I'm glad they admitted her and hope they can do something to help. Todd just called - he's gathering things she might need and is going up to see her.  That will make her feel better.

It's been a pretty day - what I've seen of it.  Did make it to the mailbox - before the mail ran today.  My side at the waistline and hip is still hurting some and I'm still hungry.  I have that lovely, seedless watermelon out in the utility room and can't eat it - will probably go bad before I can.  I guess I'm going to have to quit buying them.

I'm going to try to stay up late so I can sleep and I do not plan to lay down on the divan tomorrow.

Kathy, I hope you're doing all right - haven't seen a post from you lately - or from VA Joan either. 

Sleep well.

ronald71111
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 5:26 AM

Hard to roll out of bed this morning without yelling with my back hurting.  Going to try and take it easy today, but as you know, as a caregiver that's hard to do. I've had this before, surgery at L5 S1 and injections at L3 L4. Hopefully rest will ease the pain. 

Ron

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 5:41 AM

Morning Ron,

Sorry about your back. Hope you can rest your back today and it will feel better.

I've been awake a couple of hours, woke up hurting so finally took a pain pill and just turned on the TV.  I'm not going to do more than necessary today either and this will be much easier for me than for you. Maybe Lou will be easy going today.

Radar shows a complex of storms North of us, still in Kansas.  May we'll get more rain.  I like rain.

Two more days of medicine, hope it takes care of this stuff. Back later.

Sayra
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 11:02 AM

Toni, JoC thinking of both of you.

Hopefully S will agree she needs more help than she can provide herself.  My aunt turned 89 yesterday.  She is content and no longer having to worry about a bunch of stuff.  So far she has not fallen there.  

Thought I would write a little bit so hopefully this will move up to top.

My sister picked me up a watermelon at farmers market.  Best one I have had this year.  

Hope each one of you have a better day today.

Sweetwater
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 1:41 PM

I am a native Okie, but my screen name refers to the Sweetwater River in Wyoming. Ellen Watson, better known as Cattle Kate, had a homestead near the river. A group of cattle barons were responsible for her lynching and hanging, supposedly for cattle rustling. It was a crime that she did not commit. Sweetwater.
Sasue
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 2:50 PM

Hi all,  our heat wave has finally broken and the temperatures have been in the upper 70’s and low 80’s.  Low humidity, it’s been wonderful.  It usually stays very hot just when the kids go back to school but this year has been the exception.  Actually, weather doesn’t seem to be following the usual patterns lately. With all the spring and early summer rain, Lake Michigan is just about at record high.  All the beaches are disappearing and there have been many boating accidents due to submerged break walls.

Since my drivers license expired on my birthday this year I had to go in to get it renewed.  This year I needed to have a driving test along with the vision test. After 74 driving is required.  Fortunately all went well.  I hadn’t had to do that since I got my license when it was 16. 

I had several changes in medication within a short period and broke out in an intense itchy rash on my arms and legs. It looks like shingles but doesn’t have the symptoms other than itching.  I finally went to the dermatologist and she did a biopsy and sent me for a blood test. She thinks it may be celiac disease. I never expected that and didn’t know a rash was a symptom.  Hoping it’s not that since it requires such a strict diet. Just something else to add to the list.

My four granddaughters all left for college. One to U of Illinois, one to Bowling Green, one to Boston College and one to Michigan State.  I was glad to be observing rather than be involved in the hustle and bustle.

Lorita, I hope you are feeling better. I’m glad you broke down and asked Mike to help with the creep feed.  It’s almost baby time and you need to be feeling better.  It’s been fun reading about all the recipes. Makes me want to bake something.  I love to read recipes and new cookbooks but usually just make the same old things.  Cooking for one isn’t fun.

Take care all.

Sandy 

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 5:57 PM

Hi,

Toni, I've been thinking of you, too.  Hope you're doing all right.  Jo, haven't seen a recent post on this thread for quite some time.  I did see a rather short one on another.  Hope you're okay.

Sara - glad your watermelon was good.  Every time I go into the utility room I look longingly at the one I bought.  Wish I could cut it but I know watermelons have a lot of fiber - at least I think they do and I don't need that now.

Sandy - happy to see your post.  I hope you'll post more often and let us know how things are.  Hard to believe that you have four granddaughters the same age and all going off to college at the same time.

You're so right about the weather patterns being different.  You've had hot weather - don't know if that's normal and your lake being so high.  And, us, with all the rain and flooding in May and June, then drought in part of the state and now flash flood warnings.  Don't know what to expect anymore. We've had such high heat indices this month and such high humidity.  Yesterday was nice but today is not too hot - 87 with 57% humidity. 

Congratulations on passing your driving test.  Is a driving test mandatory in all states after you're 74?  Hope not.  I took my last one at age 16, too.  Think of that - six decades ago.  Scary.

I just came in from seeing the girls; drove around and around trying to find that last one - finally did.  I thought it was  Billy but he must have been laying down because it was a cow.  Little ones are in the creepfeeder with the two big heifers closeby.  I hope they don't go in anymore because I'm afraid they'll get stuck and if they don't the creep will last longer.  Found that last big cow still in the barn in the shade and cool breeze.  They're not dumb.  Kind of dread calving - always makes me nervous and afraid I'll miss getting one up.  We won't have spring calves next year because the bulls weren't here.  Opted out because we had six or seven young heifers too young to breed.  They'll be old enough next summer to have little ones in 2021.  Been through that with Christy and it's too hard on them.

I probably could have gotten the feed in the feeder by using a scoop and not lifting but just didn't feel up to it.  Maybe by next time I'll be able to do it.  It didn't take him any time and he took the 20 feedsacks back to the clinic to use there. 

I' m even thinking about not taking down the trash tomorrow morning.  I'll only have a couple of sacks and some small boxes - we'll see how it is in the morning.  Still not feeling too good - not hurting today or this afternoon.  Did go into the bedroom and took an hour's nap - better than four hours.    I think when I had this in 2013 it took three weeks to get over it.  Patsy said it took her that long, too.  I have four caplets left to take so maybe that'll do it.  Do wish my doctor wasn't on vacation.  I like the doctor in  urgent care but not like my own PCP.  I'm so glad our little town has an urgent care.  When I was there there were several people in the waiting room when I came out of the exam room - probably because the doctor was on leave. 

Patsy caught Jack's cold.  She called last night and could hardly talk - says she's going to the doctor tomorrow if she doesn't feel better but really nothing can be done for a cold.  They have to get four new tires on their car in the morning so the tire shop is only about 200 yards from urgent care, if that's where she was going.

Talked with Sarah briefly this morning and also talked with her nurse.  The nurse said she was stable but that's about all she could tell me because I didn't have the "code".  I had asked Sarah for it but at that time she didn't have it.  The nurse said she'd find it and give it to Sarah.  I had a nice talk with the nurse telling her about our concerns and she seemed to understand - said she's talk to their team to see if a consultation could be ordered. 

We didn't get any rain - how we missed it I don't know.  It was all across the northern part of the state moving this way but petered out.  Sarah said it was raining in OKC.  At least we had 3.4" so that may get us through for a couple of weeks.  Things already look greener.  Tomorrow's supposed to be super hot, then much cooler the rest of the week.  I'm only going out early in the morning and again in the late afternoon to do my chores and check the girls.  Still loving the metal hose.  When I'm up to it I'll coil up the vinyl hoses and use the wrap-it things and get them put away.  I have a brand new 50 ft. hose in the utility room that I bought a year or so ago when there was fire danger so may use it to get water to the barn if necessary.

Better go and eat a bite and take my medicine.  I had a scrambled egg and slice of bread and applesauce for breakfast - felt like I was in heaven!  I've had yogurt, applesauce and crackers since.  Patsy said she lost 12 lbs. when she had diverticulitis a while back. 

Hope all of you are well this afternoon.  Forgot to mention that around noon the GPs were outside and I kept hearing one of them bark.  Went out on the porch and Stormy came up, all excited, then ran back to the south side of the house.  I saw Sheena out there in a bunch of honeysuckles so went out and she couldn't seem to get out - she was in the middle of them.  Got hold of her collar and pulled her out - I think a vine had wrapped around her leg.  Then, they ran and played like puppies for a long time, even after they came into the house.  Just like having a bunch of kids. 

Sweetwater, where in Oklahoma were you from?  Interesting story about Cattle Kate and funny you should mention that.  I just saw on TV a few nights ago that some woman here in Oklahoma was arrested for cattle rustling and selling the cattle.  That happens more often than you'd think.  In fact, Darwin has lost a couple - not rustled but shot and pulled through the fence for food.  That's part of the reason I like to keep good track of ours.  I know gates are locked everywhere when the cattle are away from a house but cutting the fences is easy.

Rest well tonight.

JudeV
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 6:50 PM

Lorita & Ron 

When I overwork, my back really hurts.  I found out that Aleve Back and Muscle takes care of the pain.  I also go to a chiropractor once a week for my right hip.  Osteoarthritis. I am not about to quit gardening or bowling.  Take an Aleve and go on. Lasts for 8 hours.

Rain…………we finally got some rain.  You can water all day but one hour of rain makes a difference. Tomatoes coming on strong.  Other veggies not so good.   Finally I got a good watermelon.  A sugar baby.   I had to take 2 watermelons back to Kroger’s .  They said a lot of people have  returned them this year.  

Judy

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 9:00 PM

Judy, glad you found something that helps your back.  I used to take Aleve years ago and it helped but haven't for years.  I think it has aspirin in it, not sure. 

Glad you finally got a watermelon that was good.  That's not an easy thing to do.  When daddy raised watermelons he could thump them and would know if they were ripe and sometimes when we were out in the patch he'd plug one.  That means he'd cut a triangular shaped wedge in it, pull it out and see if it was ready.  Of course, he never did that unless he was 99% sure it was ready and we'd take it anyway.  But, that little bite of watermelon was so good.   I did share with him.

I've been watching the third, I think, week of Serengeti.  It's so amazing how the mothers take care of their little ones.  One baby zebra was washed downstream when they were crossing a river and was lost from his mother.  He survived and got out of the river without the crocodiles getting him.  His mother called and looked for him for a long time and he for her.  Finally after some days he was so tired and hungry he collapsed.  Just at that time they were near a water hole and she saw him and went to him, got him up and he nursed.  Amazing.

Question:  My diverticulitis began a week ago yesterday.  A week ago tomorrow I saw the doctor and got a prescription for generic Flagyl.  I've missed a dose or two and now have three caplets left.  My pain is almost gone - comes and goes, mostly achy pain.  It hurt this morning and later today hasn't - I can feel it a little bit now.  My head doesn't feel good, a bit dizzy and I'm drowsy feeling.  So, my question is - should I take the other three caplets?  Google said you should always complete your prescription or superbugs might develop.  I may call in the morning and see if I can talk with the doctor and see what he says or if I feel better may take the rest.  I've always taken all of my prescription medication so think I probably should.

Watching a three hour show now about White Wolves - they look similar to Sheena and Stormy but smaller. 

I talked with Sarah for a minute.  T had told her, evidently, that he'd come back today and he hasn't and she's really ticked off.  She's supposed to have more tests tomorrow - still has IVs going.  I asked her about the code and she said no one had given it to her. 

Hope everyone has a good night's rest.

Sayra
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 5:42 AM

Googled it lol and watermelon is considered high in fiber.  Know that fiber is good for you but I have to be careful.  If I eat too much of it my belly starts hurting.  When I have a lot of fiber with a meal then I try to just have a small amount with the next one.

ronald71111
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 7:14 AM

Morning all, on my earlier years at a produce stand when dealing with watermelons I found the georgia rattlesnakes (green with stripes), to be the best. Look for one that is uniformed in shape and is discolored on the bottom(was not pulled green),.Also look at the stem, if you cut away the brown and still have some green next to the melon, it's not to ripe.

Back on fig preserves; if you can find fresh figs here's a twist on preserves you'll find good. 

3 cups mashed figs 

2 small packages of jello (any flavor you like, such as strawberry or peach)

Bring to a rolling boil, then boil for 3 minutes. Put in sterile jars and seal.

Rested my back yesterday and feel much better today. I believe I threw it out the other day bending around so much on the outside of the tub bathing lou, hurried and jerked around with lou fussing she didn't need a bath.

Have her a pecan pie in the oven now, my bribe to get her in the shower Saturday. Funny thing, it was a time in our life I would have enjoyed bathing her, not anymore though!

Ron

Lorita
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 7:40 AM

Morning,

Sara- I thought watermelons had a lot of fiber - maybe if I keep it cool, it'll be all right by next week when I might be able to eat some.   I've never really bothered about fiber but after this flare I think I might try to eat foods with more fiber.

Ron - pecan pie.  I used to love them.  Charles and my BIL liked ice cream on them - a little over the top I think.  We have a pecan tree - well, we really planted two of them when we lived in the MH years ago.  The cows topped one so it never did any good and the other one only had a few pecans one year.  I think they may need to have two of them.

Glad your back's better.  When you hurt somewhere, you hurt everywhere.  Be careful lifting and turning so it's doesn't aggravate it.  As we get older we really have to watch what we do.  I know I do something, mot thinking, and then muscles I didn't even know I had hurt.  Guess it comes with the territory.

Now, I do remember that if the bottom of the melon where it's been laying on the ground is discolored, it's ripe.  I guess like everything else they have to pick them green so they'll ship better.   I like to buy melons from local farmers.  I haven't seen any this year but normally there are pickups parked in different places in town selling melons.  If I remember correctly, the Watermelon Capital of the World is just south of here.  They have really nice, sandy soil which melons really need to grow well.  The place where daddy planted them was a bit sandy.

Just came in from feeding the cats and seeing the girls.  Stormy went with me.  I'd been promising him he could go for a couple of days so this morning he was at the gate, ready.  Four little ones were in the creeper with a couple outside and the two bigger heifers there, too.  Really have to get out early to be able to see everyone before they get up to the MH and in the trees or over the hill so I can't see them.  Everything looked okay - always makes me feel better.

It's supposed to be hot and humid today with heat index of around 115 so I'm staying inside.  Tomorrow is going to be cooler.  Didn't get one drop of rain out of the clouds yesterday but another cluster is already in Nebraska on it's way.  Amazing how pretty and green the grass north of the house looks now after being so brown before the rain.

I woke up this morning at 3:30 but went back to sleep until 5 so it's getting better.  Today I'll try not to nap at all.  I watched some of the best shows last night - Serengeti and The Kingdom of the White Wolf, probably four hours of it.  I was watching Serengeti and heard Sheena softly bark. I looked and she was watching the TV - there was a rhino on the screen and she barked at it.  I caught her watching it several times.  Those white wolves look a whole lot like the GPs, but smaller.  They have the long, white hair and fluffy tails.  Some parts of those nature shows I can't watch - have to turn my head.  You all know the parts.

My side's hurting some this morning.  When I woke up it was in the lower abdomen but now it's around the waistline.  My head feels okay today so I'm going to finish my meds today. It'll probably take a couple more weeks before the hurting and/or soreness goes away.  So, another thing on my list of foods I can't eat - couscous.

I'm thinking I won't even take down the trash today - don't have too much and I want to take it easy because I'm going to have to put gas in the CW soon - don't want to run out of gas up in the pasture.  When I buy the gas I take three cans and fill them half full so it's only about 2-3 gallons but it's heavy anyway - have to hold up the can while the gas goes in.

Hope all of you have a good Monday.  I remember how I used to dislike Mondays when I was working - and loved Fridays.  Now, every day is Friday.

Lorita
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 8:38 AM

Back again,

Decided since I had a little time and had it all gathered up I'd take down the trash.  Never put on different clothes because most of the time I never see anyone.  If you all have seen the advertisement of the little, old woman riding the scooter with a man on the back - that was me.  Had on a patio dress, socks and rubber sandals and a cap with my hair sticking out on all sides plus the big, black sunglasses.   So, of course, just got down there and here came a PU up the road.  It was our neighbor south of us so he stopped and talked a bit.  I was embarrassed needless to say.  His wife is Sarah's age, in fact, her mother and Sarah's mother went to school together and were best friends.  She had some sort of cancer about five years ago and since then has had a stroke.  She is barely able to get around in the house.  He says he does all the cooking plus everything else.  He has the land just south of us and I bought hay from his last year.  He and another man were on their way to check out a meadow to see if it was ready to bale.  So, guess the moral of the story is - always be prepared to see someone if you think you won't.  At least I had on undergarments.  Stormy went with me again.  He really enjoys riding and has started to sit up sometimes.

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 8:39 AM

Morning,

Where is everyone?

We didn't have a drop of rain here last night but there were a couple of tornadoes NE of here and lots of rain.  I think OKC really got hit hard - Judith, hope things are okay at yoru house.

Nothing going on here - Stormy and I went out early  Girls are enjoying the cooler weather and north wind.  I was in the kitchen a while ago putting some cinnamon rolls and sweet rolls in the food saver and looked out the window and the fog has moved in.  Supposed to be about 82 today with heat index of 84.  Yesterday the heat index in Bixby (south of Tulsa) was 118.  I hope that's the last of the hot weather.  It was uber hot here.

Still having hurting/soreness in left side of waist - don't know why but maybe it'll go away.  When my doctor gets back to the office it it's still hurting I'll go in and see him.

Hope you all are okay this morning.

Rescue mom
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 9:28 AM

Nothing much to talk about here, but now people are talking about that hurricane, which is still uncertain but the first serious “maybe” of season.

We’ve had so much rain the ground is saturated, and it doesn’t take much for streets to be flooded by any big rainfall. At the grocery this morning people were buying batteries, flashlights. News says the building supply stores are busy but not swamped. People are testing their generators, if they have them. I’m charging all batteries and back-ups just because they take more time.

It’s a little early to stock up on food though....hurricanes give you so much warning, good in a way but bad because people get so worked up.

We talked about figs earlier. I saw some at the grocery today—first of season—and just had to get them, although the price was outrageous, and of course they are mostly green. Duh me! Hopefully they will ripen more in a couple days.

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 10:08 AM

Honestly, Lorita, I think there is an umbrella over you. We had an horrific storm with gusts up to 94 miles an hour. It rained all night long. LOVE my generator!

I will report damage when I get out later. It is going to be bad.

Lorita
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 11:39 AM

Rescue Mom - hope the hurricane doesn't develop.  Many times in the late summer when it's so dry here our only hope of rain is from a hurricane if it comes this way.  Hope your figs are good.  Can you keep them out of the refrigerator until they ripen like with other fruits?

Judith - sounds like your power went out.  Isn't it a comforting feeling to have a generator and not be worried about power outages.  A few days ago Patsy's power went out, ours, too, but the generator kicked in.  She has lung and heart problems and can't breathe when it's so hot - they need a generator, too. 

Hopefully, your tree damage and other damages are not too much.  That's awfully high wind gusts - almost hurricane force winds.    This past week we've had 3.4" of rain, north of here a few miles they only had 2.5 and where the vet lives they had 5" so it was kind of spotty.  I was thankful for the 3.4 - really has made a difference in the grass and meadows.  It would have been nice to have gotten rid of the umbrella and had a little more rain.

I have to  make a decision about the refrigerator and utility room.  I have to keep mopping up the water that comes out of the refrigerator.  For the life of me I don't know where it all comes from.  At any rate it's ruining the floor - I went over to the AC this morning and the floor felt very mushy.  Several years ago we had a leak from the water line that goes to the kitchen refrigerator's ice maker.  Last year the water heater leaked for a long time and that did damage to the floor.  I had no idea where the water was coming from and for I don't know how long the water plug on the refrigerator has been stopped up and  it's producing an abundance of water.  I wonder where all that water goes if the plug is not stopped up.  I have one of those spin mops and at least twice daily I have to mop up all the water and it fills the bucket half full. It's also  making my side and shoulder sore.

Going to have to call to see about getting the refrigerator fixed - not going to pay $350 to repair an 18 year old refrigerator when a new one is not much more. I guess I'll get rid of the freezer - really don't need it.  It stopped working a couple of  years ago, or more.  The floor has to be replaced - it was replaced about 20 years ago and I think the guy used plywood.  The utility room used to be a porch so it slopes - maybe the upper part isn't damaged where the washer, dryer and water tank is because everything runs to the lower part of the room. 

These decisions are hard to make - much easier when you have someone to talk with about it.  Even if they don't contribute a lot it makes it easier to talk out the problem.

Sarah called this morning.  She had thought she'd go home today but she said they had discovered she had a blood infection.  She doesn't need to be home along and still be sick.  She's worried about the two dogs, cat and bird so I'll try again today to get in touch with Todd.

Sweetwater
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 12:39 PM

Lorita, I was born in Duncan although my parents lived in Velma at the time. The paternal side of my Mother's family was from Velma. My Dad was an oilfield worker, so we moved around some. Seminole, Yale, Drumright. I went to college in Tulsa and Norman. I don't miss the Oklahoma weather. We did have a tornado here last week. To me, it looked more like a dust devil. Sweetwater.
jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 12:46 PM

Lots of tree damage and most of my area is power out. Glad I have a couple of cans of corned beef hash and a new bottle of Chili Sausce. Also one bag of peas and one microwave popcorn...lol

Blood infection/ Sepsis? Not good. Maybe she did not hear correctly. She must be terribly worried about the pets and with all of this heat and the power out...Not good.

Maybe the best way to get her "number" is to call the nurses station and have someone go to her room and then have Sarah give you the number. 

JoC...you have not been here for a while. Update?

Ron...did you oversleep?

Thank to all for the watermelon info....from fiber content to stems.

toni2
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 3:41 PM

Hi everyone. I'm doing okay. It's hard but my children are so good to me. Today is our twin boys 58th birthday. That made me miss Ken more. He always would sing happy birthday to them.

Toni

ronald71111
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 3:58 PM

Judith, yes; you got my number, I did oversleep,  didn't get up till 4 this morning. Just haven't had a lot to say today! Thinking to much about my appointments next week. Urologist appointment next week was suppose to be just a normal follow up, but starting to have some problems even though I had a TURP 4 years ago. Also, had blood work last week and noticed my psa is a little elevated and it's never been high before. I also thought after TURP psa levels went down. Also, the next day is visit with my new pcp.

I'm sorry about all the bad weather your having. That was one thing that always worried me when our youngest son moved his family to Mo. So far he hasn't had a problem but he's only been there two years.

Lorita, I know what you mean about putting out money on a old refrigerator.  Mine is 12 years old and first of the year defrost went out. I had it fixed! Later, nothing was freezing, I just put out money on defrost so went ahead and had it fixed. Six weeks later it stopped freezing again! This time it was something else. I ended up spending little over four hundred dollars, but hopefully it will last another 12 years.

You'll stay safe @

Ron

Sayra
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 5:59 PM

Judith glad you are ok.  Do you have a lot of sticks to pick up?

It’s been a rainy day.  I’ve stayed busy.  Took my groceries and balanced her checkbook first thing.  Made a loaf of bread, made some tomato soup and froze it.  Cleaned my bedroom from top to bottom and now I am trying to make yoghurt.  I have never done this before so we shall see.  

Did you find your sunglasses a Lorita?  I know how you feel about having to make decisions on your own, especially since I retired.  I miss my dad so much.  It’s been almost 17 years.  

I’ve slept later the last couple of days too.  Maybe because it is staying darker so much longer.

Good to hear from you Toni.

Hope everyone sleeps good tonight.

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 6:46 PM

Yes and major branches. 100K were without power. Ours is still off. Stores still closed.
ronald71111
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 6:39 AM

Been busy preparing this evening meal; Lima beans in soaking, cut up cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and need to either go get some fresh jalapeno or add some I have in a jar, poured vinegar over them, added salt and pepper and now have them in refrigerator. Later i will get some pork chops out of freezer to thaw and mix some cornbread. (Speaking of cornbread reminded me of the southern boy asking his northern girlfriend to make him some cornbread. She opened a can of corn and poured it over slices of bread.) 

Now I've been planning my next project for Lou and I. A few weeks ago we went through her walk in closet and got rid of clothes she will never wear. I now want to go back in it and pull out all the purses and shoes and do the same. Can you even imagine how much a person that never has gotten rid of anything in 52 years of marriage can accumulate. I remember when we moved out of our house we lived in 26 years, it reached a point after her sorting everything out for a month before I could move it to our new place, I finally just got her over to the new house and finished the old one myself. Needless to say after a few months she started looking for something I had thrown away. She believed in keeping everything and I believe if you dont use it anymore, you dont need it.

Speaking of her walk in closet in the master bedroom; why is it the master bedroom and who is the master? I know it's not me! Is it Lou or our Shih Tzu?

Ok, hope everyone is safe and well!

Ron

Sayra
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 10:54 AM

Judith hope you guys have or get your power back soon.  Picked  my yard up twice last week and have to do it again  after the last couple of days.  No power outages though.  Had someone to come and give me an estimate this week to trim some of them up and to cut the things close to the house down.  Here we have the power outage thing more in the winter.  Late fall try to make sure that things like peanut butter, crackers, pork and beans in pantry for emergencies.  Things that could be eaten without being heated.

Ron People make cornbread all different ways.  I make mine very plain.  Use Martha White white cornmeal mix and buttermilk.  Bake til very brown and crusty.

Lorita hope you’re doing ok.

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 11:00 AM

The Shih Tzu rules the whole house!

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 1:02 PM

Hi,

Sweetwater, some of my inlaws used to live in Duncan.  Not sure where Velma is.  Do you miss Oklahoma with the exception of the weather?

Toni - good to hear that you're doing all right.  It takes time and more time and then more time.  I'm still working on it and probably always will be.  Happy birthday to your sons.  All birthdays are hard.  Keep letting us know how you are when you feel like it. We like to hear from our friends.

Judith - how long was the power in your area out?  You weren't very far from a tornado, were you?  I hate for high winds to come through and damage things but it does happen.  Hope the power's back on by now.    You're so right - Shih Tzu's do rule the house.  Mr. Barclee tells me what to do and when and if I don't hop to he keeps on barking.  Wasn't it a good feeling for your generator to come on in ten seconds after the power went out?  I do wish we'd gotten one many years ago.  You're the person who persuaded me, remember?

Sara - that's the way we make cornbread, too - with the mix but just sweet milk.  I use an iron skillet and heat some oil in it on the burner until it's hot and then pour most of it into the mix, pour the batter into the pan and it starts sizzling right away.  The iron skillet and making it this way makes it have a good crust.  I grew up on corn bread - we've never put sugar in it but my sister did when she made it and it was good.

Sorry for all the work you're having to do picking up sticks.  I don't bother anymore unless it's a big one across the pathway.  I couldn't bend over that much.

Tomato soup - one of my favorites.  I've collected many recipes for it but never tried them - would you mind sharing yours?  I need something that's fast and easy and can be frozen to be available to use in a pinch.

We've been out of power several times for up to two weeks at a time.  There are so many electric poles in the country and they break in big storms.  Good to have items on hand that don't have to be cooked.

Ron - 4:30 is still pretty early.  I was waking up at 4:30 this morning - no more sleep after that.  Sounds like you and Lou are going to have a really good supper.  Have you gotten any rain out of all this?  Love your story about the cornbread.

For women, or at least for me, getting rid of clothes is a very hard thing to do.  I've been retired 24 years and I'm sure I still have clothes in the closet that I wore while I worked - they don't fit anymore but they're still there.  I need to go through my closet and get rid of things.  I have a lot of Charles' clothes laying on the divan in the sunroom that I need to take to the mission - just can't quite do it yet.  It is good to get rid of things though so others won't have to do it.  I still think of dresses I had when I was 20 and wonder what happened to them.

Well, finally found someone to work on the refrigerator.  He just left - was only here about 40 minutes.  The plug or drain was frozen up about 5" worth.  He assured me there would be no more water on the floor.  Yesterday I called the plumber we use and they gave me his name and found his number on the internet.  I'm sure he works out of his home but he has a truck with the name of his business on it.  And, guess what - Sears was going to charge about $350 to get it fixed - he charged $90 - and he unloaded the freezer compartment.  I held the insulated bags and he filled them.  That amounted to a lot for me.  Now, to go through them and see what I need to keep or throw away.  I already found something that expired in 2008 and quite a few French fries.  Also found the chocolate I had hidden.  I do hope it works all right.  It's 18 or 19 years old.  He said it was made by Whirlpool and freezing up is one of their problems.  I should go through all of that stuff and then go through the stuff in the kitchen refrigerator but may have done that when the repairman was here last year.  It's amazing what you accumulate.  You put something in and it gets to the back and you forget it's there.

Talked with Sarah this morning.  Dr. D's guys were there this morning and they've decided she needs to have another herniorrhaphy.  She has two new ones and they may have to move the colostomy to another place. She's had at least two or three repairs already.  They'll discharge her and she has to go to see him, then go to day-surgery, have it done and then be admitted to the hospital for 4-5 days.  I do hope Todd will be available to take her and be there while she has the surgery.  I'm sure it would help her to know someone was there waiting for her.

Ricky hasn't come to mow yet.  I bet he's mowing a meadow and that's fine - the weeds aren't going anywhere.  Just want them out of the way before we start to feed which will be several months.

Stormy was protective.  I kept him in the kitchen but he kept watch and would bark every once in a while.  Sheena didn't make an appearance.

Hope all of you are doing well this morning.  The weather was wonderful when I went out this morning.   I hope we've had the last of our hot summer.  Better go and get things back in the freezer compartment.   At least the refrigerator and freezer part will be cleaned out good.   I have part of a sack of milk replacer in the refrigerator - bet he wondered what that was.  Also found some frozen colostrum and orange juice.   My diverticulitis is better.  A little bit of pain before I got up this morning but it's gone and I even lifted a gas can and put gas in the CW - probably a couple of gallons.  Glad that's done.

Sayra
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 2:00 PM

Lorita sounds like we make cornbread a lot a like.  I use cast iron, put butter  in pan and let it get hot in oven while oven is heating.  Then I just pour the batter on top, don’t mix it in.  Think that is the only thing we do different.  

Hope your refrigerator is fixed.

Have tried several tomato soup recipes.  My favorite is the most simple one and the only one I use now.  Chop up 4 C of ripe, peeled tomatoes.  Place in pan and squish them up with your hands or a potato masher.  Season with salt.  Cook on medium low about 10 min or til soft.  I stir them frequently to be sure they don’t stick.  Add 1/4t soda and stir well.  Stir in 2C milk and 2T butter.  ( Usually I use 11/2C milk and 1/2C half and half).  Cook 10 min or til hot.   Taste and then season with salt and pepper as you like.  Can eat just like this or I usually run it thru my bullet for a more even texture but good either way.

Lorita
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 2:15 PM

Thanks, Sara, for the recipe. Wonder what the soda does? Guess you could usewhole, canned tomatoes. I doctor up canned tomato soup with a little bit of oregano and hot sauce and use milk instead of water.

I hope it's fixed,too. I'm tired of mopping up water.