RSS Feed Print
Back to School
Keep It 100
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 7:40 PM

My son heads back to start his senior year at William & Mary in a few days. So, during dinner I was asking my son if he’s ready for classes, what classes he’s taking, what’s his schedule...etc. 

Half hour later my husband is sitting on sofa, mumbling to himself, looking very agitated so I ask what’s wrong. He says he feels stupid and really worried. I ask why?  He says there’s a lot of stuff going through his head, because he isn’t sure what he needs to do. I ask, do for what? He says about getting ready for school. He says he doesn’t know what he needs to get, what he needs to do and he’s worried he’s not prepared, and he just can’t figure out what he needs. Just spinning around and around in confusion and delusion. 

It’s. So. Sad. 

Then our dog Atticus walked up and licked his leg. I stroked my husband’s hair and reassured him that everything is okay, I have all his needs met and he need not worry. But he just couldn’t shake the “worry.” So we took the dog for a walk, chatted with several wonderful neighbors along the way, and the distraction worked, but then I just want to crawl under covers. The sadness of seeing the losses is just so... sad. Thank god for a silly and sweet and wonderful pup. 

A pic of the silly pup, for a smile, and our other therapy pet the orange tabby:

File Attachment(s):
FA4EB933-AF4C-46A5-9A24-A92BCDE8AF98.jpeg (53759 bytes)
A8438A40-0226-4943-B88D-49A739A843C8.jpeg (44063 bytes)

Marabella
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 8:27 PM

Yes, as you say...It’s. So. Sad. I feel your sorrow. Each day presents so many reminders of all lost. I try not to think of what more will be lost. Stay strong.
Seasons In The Sun
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 8:48 PM

It's so sad watching the decline. The saddest part is knowing there is nothing we can do to stop it. Nurse from MC comes tomorrow for evaluation for admittance to MC/SNF.  Dw on hospice care at 7d and I just can't do it any more. I feel your pain reading you post. Stay strong . Best wishes to you.
Ed1937
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 6:58 AM

I feel the pain in your words. This is not the highway anyone wants to be on, that's for sure. And it tests our strength daily. Embrace our furry friends. They help.
SSHarkey
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 8:04 AM

Keepit100, what an adorable dog! You can see his personality all over! We bought a dog the year my DH was diagnosed. Best thing we ever did! She’s what adds laughter and joy to our days.
Katy sue
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 8:39 AM

The animals get it. We have a dog and when my husband was still home they were constant BFFs. I always update the dog on his dads condition because I know he can smell DH on me when I come home from visiting. DH also would respond to things he heard on tv or in conversation and get things confused thinking everything pertained to him. Very sad indeed. Comfort and reassurance and redirection for now. Later, maybe other methods. Painful all the way.
LizzieC
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 9:56 AM

First, your husband's reaction to the "back to school" conversation with your son reminds me of nightmares about school that I have had, even as an adult, where I signed up for a class and forgot about it until the end of the term or I forgot to study for an exam...only to wake up and be relieved that it was just a dream.  But for your husband, it is a real-live awake nightmare that he thinks is for real. Heart breaking.

Second, your pets are precious...how could Atticus not cheer up somebody!  The fact that they are so affectionate with them shows that he is a kindhearted man.

lvcatlvr
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2019 11:35 PM

I am so sorry to hear this. It is so sad to see them lose a part of themselves every day. Our situation is sad because my DH has to be on an anti psychotic which makes his thinking even more muddled. When he is off it, his mind and memory are clearer but then he has delusions. They generally involve me being a stranger he aggressively chases out of the house. So, I do the trade off of having him more sedated and muddled. Your pets are so cute. We have six cats, and two of the more affectionate ones just love my DH. They take turns sitting on his lap. Instead of wringing his hands and doing other nervous ticks, he pets them. I wish the cats could go everywhere with us so it could help him with those nervous ticks!!!! Animals just seem to know when we all need extra love and help. I actually read a story somewhere that they were bringing kittens into memory care facilities, and it was helping the patients.