RSS Feed Print
I can't bear to watch.
Jim Broede
Posted: Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:23 PM

I'm an avid lifetime Chicago Cubs fan. But last night, I couldn't bring myself to watch the Cubs playoff game against the Pittsburgh Pirates. Because of the stress and tension. I'd have become a nervous wreck. That comes with my desire to have the Cubs win. If they blew the game, I might go into depression. For a day or two or three. I'd come out of it, of course. By focusing on the fact that the Cubs had a pretty good season. Jumping from a last-place finish a year ago, to the playoffs. Yes, I'd still have plenty to savor. My sister, plus a neighbor friend, called me during the game. To tell me the good news. That the Cubs were winning. And that I should tune in the game. Because the Cubs looked unbeatable. But still, I played it safe. The TV remained off. When I was sure that the Cubs had won, I turned on the post game festivities. And watched the highlights. Relaxed. And joyful. Next, the Cubs play the St. Louis Cardinals. On Friday night. I probably won't watch. So I don't jinx the Cubs. --Jim
w/e
Posted: Friday, October 9, 2015 1:58 AM

I really did enjoy this post
I too get emotionally involved when watching some sports. I get afraid of having a sudden heart attack. The stress is too much.To calm down, I often have to walk out the family room.
I love baseball... I am a "... " fan. I will not tell you which one. I don't want to jinx it.
Boy, do I love the excitement of the World Series!
I've been like that since I was 6 yrs old.
I remember sitting lovingly on my father's lap. Playing on the floor. Making curls with his hair. And listening to the World Series in the radio with him and a few of his friends. Some of them smoking cigars and having a drink of rum. Yelling with excitement. All bases full. A home-run. The ball out of the park. And arguing about a lost game because of a strike-out.
No TV in my house 62 years ago.

Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, October 9, 2015 1:44 PM

I am thrilled, w/e. To learn that you are a baseball fan. And that you are addicted. I'm curious. Name your team. And I'll try rooting for it, too. Unless it's a rival of the Cubs. Please tell me, it ain't St. Louis. Hard for me to guess. I know, of course, that you have wide-ranging Canadian and Caribbean connections. Imagine you. A baseball fan. Gives you a lift in my esteem. I grew up a Cubs fan. Shows my mother's influence. She was for the Cubs. My father liked the despicable crosstown White Sox. Anyway, as a youngster I spent parts of summers with an aunt and uncle in suburban Chicago. And attended 20 or 30 games a season. At the sacred shrine, Wrigley Field. Cost 60 cents to get into the bleachers in those days. Remember listening to the 1945 World Series. On the radio. No TV then. The Cubs lost in 7 games. To the Detroit Tigers. I was 10. And here I am. Still alive. And waiting. Patiently. And nervously. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, October 9, 2015 11:31 PM

I'm at ease. When it comes to the Chicago Cubs. For the remainder of the play-offs. Because I'm satisfied. By the Cubs even reaching the play-offs. That's an amazing feat. All by itself. Going from a last place finish in 2014, to the play-offs this year. I don't want to be greedy. By demanding that the baseball gods arrange for the Cubs to win the World Series this year. That would be like wishing for $2 million, when one already has $1 million. It's still a blessing. To have what one already has. If the Cubs don't make it all the way, I can wait. For another time. Another year. I have many other things to be grateful about. Such as being alive and healthy and in love. If that ain't everything, it's still pretty close. Baseball and the Cubs are secondary. I'm happy. Even if the Cubs come up a little bit short.. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2015 11:43 AM

My father was a gambler. Habitual. Addicted. Some say that gamblers have a death wish. They love to take risks. That was my father. He committed suicide. After running up immense gambling debts. I'm different from my father. I never gamble for money. Instead, I gamble my emotions. By wishing for outcomes. If I lose, it's merely a disappointment. An emotional setback. And I've learned to deal with that. For instance, I bet my emotions on the Chicago Cubs. When they lose, I may be glum for a little while. When they win, I'm blissfully happy. Yes, I can handle the ups and downs of life. Without becoming suicidal. I have learned to fall in love. With life. And with the Chicago Cubs, too. Win or lose. I remain in love. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 12:14 PM

I'm blissfully happy. As the Cubs keep winning. As if it's a fairy tale. Coming true. It's been a wonderful season. Already. And the Cubs still have a way to go. To reach the World Series. But doesn't matter. I'm happy. Even coming close. That's good enough for me. I don't need everything out of life. A few choice morsels. At the feast. No need to be a glutton. Give me a small taste. A few crumbs. And I'll make the most of it. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 11:54 PM

One can't live without some amount of stress and anxiety. But I'm good at managing much of it. No better example than how I cope. With my relentless longtime nerve-wracking addiction to the Chicago Cubs. Mostly, I refrain from watching or listening to the games. Some friends tell me that's stupid. That I should get enjoyment from Cubs games. And I do. But often the pleasure comes after the game is over. And I've checked the score. When the Cubs win, I happily devour the details. When the Cubs lose, I'd rather not be bothered by the unsettling circumstances. Better to get on with the rest of my life. In relative ignorance of how the Cubs blew the game. Used to be, when I watched the Cubs lose, I'd be emotionally drained. Which was rather stupid. Now I refuse to allow myself to become overly upset. By rising up. Above the fray. Muttering. 'Hey, Jim, it's only a mere baseball game. Insignificant in the grand scheme of life.' --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2015 11:53 AM

Baseball wasn't meant to be played while wearing ski masks. Yes, in weather so cold. That it affects the quality of the game. Tune in. The baseball playoffs. They run late into the season. With a distinct possibility. That there could be snow on the ground. If the World Series finishes in New York, Chicago or Toronto. Better weather for skiing. Not for baseball. But still, the baseball season is prolonged. For the sake of the baseball moguls. Out to make money. Of course, it would be better to play the pivotal games during the daytime. When the weather might be a little bit warmer. But no, the key games often are scheduled at frigid nighttime. For the sake of TV ratings. In order to make money. The motivating force in our capitalist society. We don't play baseball any more in conditions conducive to the quality of the game.. Instead, it's for money, money and more money. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2015 5:46 AM

I'm trying. To not be disappointed. If my darling Chicago Cubs. Don't make it to the World Series. Instead, I'm trying to be happy. And grateful. And appreciative. If the Cubs come close. By having won 97 regular season games. Thereby qualifying for the playoffs. A season after finishing in last place. That's amazing. Really, a blessing. Beyond my expectations. When the season began last April. If you had told me then, that in October, the Cubs would be vying in a 7-game playoff for the right to advance to the World Series -- well, I'd have said that's a bit preposterous. But a dream come true. And I'd still be happy. If the Cubs came ever so close. But still failed to make the final hurdle to the World Series. Yes, I don't need everything. I can settle for the Cubs being competitive. Being second or third best team in baseball. Rather than the worst. Indeed, that's remarkable improvement. That ain't bad. Furthermore, it's a darn good way to look at baseball. And life, too. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 7:11 AM

The baseball gods are toying with me. Trying to teach me a lesson. In humility. In acceptance. For daring a palace coup. For daring to even think. That I could usurp the divine authority of the baseball gods. By declaring myself the supreme ruler of baseball. That would allow me to write the script. For this year's World Series. With the Cubs going all the way. For the first time since 1908. Unfortunately, things ain't looking good. At the moment. The Cubs are down. Two games to none. Against the New York Mets. For the mere right to represent the National League. In pursuit of the Holy Grail. By tomorrow night. The Cubs could be swept. Out. Kaput. Finished. A storybook ending for Mets fans. A nightmare for Cubs fans. For daring a palace coup. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 12:52 PM

Well, maybe I can bear to watch, after all. Because I have become resigned. To the fact that the Chicago Cubs won't quite make it all the way to the World Series. At least not this year. But maybe still. In my lifetime. Another reason for me to try to live forever. To never die. The Cubs are down. Three games to none. To the New York Mets. For the right to represent the National League in the World Series. One more loss. And it's all over for the Cubs. Of course, there's still a chance. For a miracle. With Cubs winning four straight. A perfect storybook ending. The kind of scenario I'd concoct. If I were a baseball god. Instead, I'm human. Lesser than a god. But that ain't bad. Really. Being second best. Being subservient. Being respectful. Being accepting. Of life as it is. Maybe I'll watch the game tonight. On TV. And at least. Try to pretend. That I am a baseball god. Capable of manipulating the outcome. Of a sporting event. Salvaging a token meaningless win. For the Chicago Cubs. All I need in life. An occasional consolation prize. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 10:56 PM

I was unhappy a moment ago. Because my Chicago Cubs just got eliminated. In their quest to make it to the World Series. So, I decided to refocus. Immediately. On a thought that makes me joyful. Such as, that the Cubs came close. By finishing as the second best team in the National League. Quite an achievement. Only a year after finishing in last place. Therefore, the Cubs overachieved. Really, the Cubs are an amazing team. Makes me happy. Merely being a Cubs fan. I've already forgotten. That the Cubs just lost a big game. Really, it's inconsequential. In the grand scheme of baseball. And life, too. --Jim