RSS Feed Print
A better human being. To boot.
Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 9:36 AM

Trying to do too much. Too many things. That’s a common malady. Especially with care-givers. It’s as if one has no other choice.  But there are ways. To slow down. To show restraint. To get help. Unfortunately, it’s too easy to develop a martyr complex. I see it. All the time. In care-givers I brush up against. But not only care-givers. In people that crave becoming martyrs. So be it. If that’s their goal. But long ago. I decided not to be a martyr. I found ways to take care of myself. And in the process. I became an outstanding care-giver, if I may say so. And a better human being. To boot. --Jim

ruthmendez
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 11:45 AM

john1965 posted this on the spouses forum.  Very interesting to watch.  Doing too much is not good for anyone.  It's best to be honest and rest when needed.  It's ok when we can't do all.  It's ok

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/10-years-of-following-an-alzheimers-patient-and-her-caregiver/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7d&linkId=50690082

TiggerPooh
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 11:17 AM

Wow, Jim, you had it all figured out. That's so awesome. Good for you. You should rest well with your halo around you.
Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 1:01 PM

My halo serves a practical purpose. It shines. Gives off light.  When the electricity goes out, I’m still able to read in the dark of the night. Everyone should have a halo. I’m a lucky guy. Blessings abound. No reason to complain about that. --Jim

Sunrise-Addict
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 1:58 PM

Jim Broede wrote:

Trying to do too much. Too many things. That’s a common malady. Especially with care-givers. It’s as if one has no other choice.  But there are ways. To slow down. To show restraint. To get help. Unfortunately, it’s too easy to develop a martyr complex. I see it. All the time. In care-givers I brush up against. But not only care-givers. In people that crave becoming martyrs. So be it. If that’s their goal. But long ago. I decided not to be a martyr. I found ways to take care of myself. And in the process. I became an outstanding care-giver, if I may say so. And a better human being. To boot. --Jim

I'm craving caregivers down the road who are craving to be martyrs because I want to stay alive.
Sunrise-Addict
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2018 1:58 PM

Jim Broede wrote:

My halo serves a practical purpose. It shines. Gives off light.  When the electricity goes out, I’m still able to read in the dark of the night. Everyone should have a halo. I’m a lucky guy. Blessings abound. No reason to complain about that. --Jim

Oh, don't worry, everyone sees through the halo. Have you read about it, Jim?