RSS Feed Print
musings
jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 3:58 PM

as stated: Share your thoughts, observations and poems about Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias.

I keep checking here looking for posters doing this... wish posters did this

Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2016 4:05 AM

I’m with you, jfkoc. I keep checking here, too. Looking for posters. I try to set an example. By posting almost daily. Sometimes several posts in a single day. I learned to muse when I was an active care-giver. It became a form of respite. A way to divert my mind. And give my thoughts and my life more balance. And a positive perspective. That helped get me through tough times.  Sometimes, we are too consumed and to overwhelmed to cope adequately with Alzheimer’s and the rigors of care-giving. Daily musing made a big difference. For me. It still does. That’s why I’m sticking around. Musing. Musing. Musing. About the wonders of life. Yes, there is life. Even after the Alzheimer’s experience. Turns out, I’ve been blessed by the experience. That’s what I’m trying to convey. In many of my postings.  I’m in love. With life. I have not been deterred by the Alzheimer’s care-giving experience. Instead, my spirit has been buoyed. Anyway, jfkoc, come, come, come to musings. Post here often. Set your example. For the rest of us. I’m setting my example. We need many more examples. Far more participation. From the likes of you, jfkoc. Post your musings. All kinds of musings. Let’s make musings the most popular destination on these wonderful message boards. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2016 5:00 AM

You’ve made over 9000 postings on the Alzheimer’s message boards, dear jfkoc. But hardly any in musings. That’s dereliction of duty.  It’s time for you to show up in musings on a more regular and frequent basis. Yes, set the example. Others may follow. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 8:20 AM

Demonstrate for us, jfkoc, the proper way to muse. Don't wait for others. Show us. --Jim
jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 11:20 AM

Is there a proper way to muse? Probably not but the subject of the thread is clearly dementia. I look here for musing that will give me insight into that subject that would have helped me while care giving and now that I am widowed.

I can share one "muse". I have always preferred children to adults and am particularly comfortable with the 3-5 year old range. Perhaps this made it easier to "join" my husband on his page. I found out a lot about him that I would not have found out otherwise. 

Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 11:53 AM

Believe me. I’ve had some very good teachers. And the best were the ones that encouraged and allowed me to excel. To eliminate boundaries. So that we no longer differentiated. Between the roles of teacher and student. We taught each other. We learned from each other. Didn’t matter who was  teacher and who was student. In a sense, we were one and  the same. Equal learners. Stimulating each other. Open to new ways. To new concepts. To new everything. We granted each other the freedom. To explore the fathomless wonders of life.  Without restrictive rules. To become our true selves. In every way possible. -Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 12:09 PM

The subject of musing is life. The subject of individual threads can be dementia. But really, it all boils down to life. Aspects of life.  Life should not be limited to dementia. Let’s go beyond dementia. Dementia is only one small part of life. Too many of us are totally consumed by dementia. It drives us crazy. We need relief. Respite. A way to savor life while we are dealing with dementia and care-giving. Life. Life. Life. That is where our focus should be. Right here in musings. Life is our saving grace. Let’s grasp life. Fully and earnestly. --Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 12:45 PM

There are unlimited resources for "muses on life". In the past one used a journal for this. The stated purpose for this forum is to  Share your thoughts, observations and poems about Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias.

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 5:26 AM

You seem to miss the point that I wish to make, jfkoc. Everything being posted in musings is meant to benefit care-givers. To at the very least give them relief from the rigors and frustrations of care-giving. Yes, a gentle form of respite. A wonderful way of coping with Alzheimer’s. That is my often repeated thought and observation. Occasionally, I post poems, too. Therefore, I and the special others (such as you) that post here are complying with the stated purpose of this forum. It’s a delightful place. I even met my Italian amore Cristina right here. On this forum.  We cultivated a meaningful and lasting and loving relationship. Ever since my dear sweet wife Jeanne (we were married for 38 years) died of complications from Alzheimer’s. Cristina and I initially met face to face in Venice. Some eight years ago. And wow! Now we see and converse with each other. Daily. On Skype.  We also live together for several months a year. I spend parts of winter with Cristina in Sardinia. She, in turn, stays with me during the summer months. In Minnesota. We also have traveled together. All over Europe. In Britain and Iceland, too.  We have gotten on with our lives. In nice ways. After long stints as care-givers. Without Alzheimer’s. And without this forum. Cristina and I would never have met and fallen in love. Think about it, jfkoc. This is a magnificent love story. Very much connected to musings. On this forum.  Can it get better than that?  Once again. That’s my thought and observation. As for the poems. I’ve written them, too. Love poems to Cristina.  Believe me. I am complying with the forum rules. One way or another. Here I am. In a grand and glorious place. Because of my link to Alzheimer’s. Yes, Alzheimer’s can be a blessing. Seems to me we are all connected. By the Alzheimer’s message boards. Please let that be good enough. And in compliance with the stated  rules, too.--Jim

just exhibit Love
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 9:53 AM

Jim

Hello my friend

Your last post was Priceless..

Love Rosie

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 11:10 AM

I am looking for something else here. It is that simple. I feel something of a disconnect with what you are doing.

I like to be nice to people. But also, I don't mind offending people. It brings me great satisfaction. Because if I've offended them, I've made a point. They became aroused. And maybe I've planted a seed. I've let 'em know that I disagree. Or maybe I do it just to be funny. To try to lighten up the situation a little bit. To get a laugh. Anyway, life would be boring if we always agreed with each other. Or if we were totally nice to each other. I prefer feeling people out. Determining what makes 'em tick. And some people are just plain stupid. Or mentally lazy. If that's the case, I want to offend 'em. By actually calling 'em stupid or lazy. Nothing wrong with that, is there? --Jim Broede

You have been poked!

just exhibit Love
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 11:23 AM

I have some ocean front property in Arizona... from my front porch you can see the sea...jim..and if you'll buy that I throw the golden gate in free..

and yes you and I are here at this moment in time to give support to others and let them know..we survived alzhiemers..being the Best caregivers..to those we Loved and have no regrets giving our time and energy to someone that needed it most..this we could give.

hope you are having a great weekend..you deserve it my friend..Love Rosie

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 12:23 PM

I’m always looking for a way to connect. Rather than disconnect. If I feel disconnected, it’s time to probe.  To determine. If it’s my fault. Or the other person’s fault. Or if maybe it’s a combination. A misunderstanding on the part of both of us. Tick-tock. Tick-tock. Tick-tock. People tick in different ways. Nothing wrong with that. It’s maybe a good thing.  People don’t see eye to eye. They get divorced. They part ways. They disconnect. And get on with their lives. But I’m a firm believer. In trying to reach a friendly accord. Trying to resolve our  differences. To connect. One way or another. To compromise. To give and take.  In the realm of politics, especially, there’s a drawing of hard and fast lines. That ain’t good. There’s a disconnect. A lack of respect. For each other. But there’s something nice about dialogues and honesty. One-on-one. Mutual respect.  That’s what I try to practice. Here in musings. And for the most part, it seems to work. I have praise for everyone that posts here. But as for some politicians, they don’t get my respect. They are liars. Connivers. Scoundrels.  As for you, jfkoc, I like you. I feel connected.  Even though I may disagree with you. On a matter or two. That really shouldn’t hold us back.from having a true and friendly connection. I’m suggesting that we are good for each other. How about it? Let’s keep talking. Let’s set an example. On how to connect. Musingly. --Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 12:56 PM

I do not feel disconnected with you. How could I when we have been around together here for all of these years. I merely do not have my head wrapped around what you post. 

Ultimately the problem is that I am a White Sox fan. Just an old fashioned Lake Forest girl.

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 2:30 PM

I read your bio. And I could easily list 10 things I like about you. Of course, you can’t help it. That you are a White Sox fan. I merely pity you. That falls short of dislike. You were probably hooked at a young age. Before you knew better. Fortunately, you are only 71. You still have time to correct the errors of your way. Best that you get to it. Sooner than later. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 2:50 PM

Another thing. I’m an old-fashioned Forest Lake guy. Here in Minnesota, in my suburb, we put the forest before the lake. In Illinois, they do it backward. The lake before the forest.  That’s typical of the White Sox, too. At least this year. They keep going backwards. Down. Down. Down. The Cubs seem to be going up, up, up. Good for my morale. By the way, I was born in Chicago. I love the city. Except for the White Sox. Doesn’t bother me when they lose. I know. I know. That makes me a jerk. But so be it.  --Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 8:43 PM

Doesn't bother me when they lose either....they are the best regardless!
Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, June 4, 2016 9:25 AM

It would be nice. If active care-givers posted in musings. In an effort to quell their minds. To make care-giving easier. Maybe even pleasant. Musing could be a form of time out. A break. A respite. Where one could go for relief. To catch one’s breath. Of course, some care-givers would choose to lament. To agonize. But I’d be here. To encourage focus on the joys and wonders of life. To remind care-givers. That life is essentially good. That even in the worst of times. One can find solace. In loving thoughts. --Jim