RSS Feed Print
a way to deal with a loved one losing his or her memory
Wendy Joy
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2016 3:49 PM

Two years ago my life partner of over 20 years was diagnosed with a form of Alzheimer’s called posterior cortical atrophy.  As you may know, even though the memory disappears, the connection of music to the brain miraculously remains intact and Jim can still sit down at the piano and play as he’s always done.  Last year, in thinking of what lay ahead for me as his 24-hour a day caregiver, I came up with the idea and melody for this song – “I will be your memory”.  We recently put it on YouTube where you can watch it through the following link.

http://youtu.be/Qam1g2P4e70 

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, November 9, 2016 7:56 AM

Nice. Nice. Nice. --Jim
MPSunshine
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 5:28 AM

So beautiful Wendy Jo, a beautiful tribute to your life partner, lovely, thank you so much for sharing.
Friend has PCA
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 12:00 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your music video.  My best friend has PCA and her husband is always reminding her that he is her memory.  My friend has had PCA a long time and has adjusted to asking other for help and reminding her friends and family that she needs them and appreciates their love and support.   there is a closed Facebook site for people dealing with PCA run by a wonderful woman out of the UK.  It is posterior cortical atrophy awareness. 
Jim Broede
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2016 10:12 PM

Keep making new music, Wendy. And share it with us.  I appreciate your approach to life. Your sensitivity. --Jim
Wendy Joy
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2016 9:40 AM

Thanks so much for your kind words, Jim.  Looking back on our years of song-writing together, we've had many compliments, but yours really stands out, as my career as a lyricist begins to wind down.  The only other one of our songs that's currently on YouTube is a Christmas one which you might like to look at sometime, now that the season is on our doorstep.  If you look it up under: Home for Christmas Eve James Doris you should be able to find it.  Jim and I were really thrilled when my son, Jamie Sommerville, who is principal horn in the Boston Symphony and was also conducting an orchestra in Canada, surprised us with a performance of our song by the entire Hamilton Symphony Orchestra! A video of this will come up if you find the first one.  Again - thanks for your interest and caring.
Wendy Joy
Posted: Thursday, December 1, 2016 3:07 PM

Hello again, Jim:

Just thought you'd like to know (unless you're already keeping track of the other categories on the Message Boards!) that, having posted the same message that I initially put on Musings on the Caregivers and Spouse forums I've been checking every day to follow the numbers.  With the three total numbers of people who've read my message, it reached a grand total of over 1,000 today!  No doubt there may be many duplications but still it's heart-warming for me to know that I may have helped so many with my simple suggestion.

Cheers - Wendy

Tlbayse
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2016 12:04 AM

Love this, so pretty.  Thank you.
spunkymonkey
Posted: Wednesday, January 4, 2017 12:46 PM

The Music and words are beautiful it brought tears to my eyes; my mom lost my dad in May 2016 after a 6 year battle with blood cancer and she has been diagnosed with early stage vascular dementia in September 2016. Thank you for putting things in perspective with your words to just start again when they say they don't recall.
Andrew60
Posted: Friday, June 8, 2018 7:41 PM

The song in the OP brought tears to my eyes. Wow! Im not sure what happened with Jim and Wendy, but this was very moving.