RSS Feed Print
A believer. In the spirit.
Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, February 6, 2017 11:18 PM

As I see it, everyone is entitled to his/her own religion.  Or no religion at all, for that matter. Yes, I believe in freedom of choice. I am, personally, not very religious.  Instead, I’m spiritual. There’s a difference.  Religions tend to be organized. Often with rigid systems of belief. That must be endorsed or adhered to. In order to qualify for membership. That’s certainly not for me.  Nobody tells me what to believe. I simply believe what I want to believe. Mostly in the existence of a spiritual realm. No doubt, I have a spirit. And I suspect that most everyone has a spirit. That’s what I cultivate. My unique spirit. My unique soul. As far as I can tell, spirit and soul are essentially one and the same. It’s up to me to explore the dynamics of my free-thinking spirit. Yes, I’m proud to say. My spirit thinks for itself. My spirit also has a desire to escape, eventually. So it will no longer be encapsulated in my physical body. Thus making it a complete and genuine free spirit. Of course, this may sound like nonsense. Especially, to people who favor the security and safety and comfort of organized religions. Many such folks prefer being told what to believe. As for me, I prefer to be free to think for myself. Without the dictates of an organized and traditional religion. So here I am. A self-styled spiritual free-thinker. A true believer. In the spirit. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, February 7, 2017 5:53 AM

I use the term creator, Andy. Not god. And it doesn’t matter. Upper case. Or lower case. And I’m not making fun of anyone. Other than myself. Furthermore, any and every place. Is an appropriate place. To discuss philosophical matters. Yes, one’s philosophy of life. To think. To think. Therefore I am. Another plus. I am in love, too. With life. And I am teeming with life.  Yes, I am blessed. I am in the continuing process of being created. Becoming more alive and conscious. That is a gift. Given to me by my creator. My creator isn’t religious. Instead, my creator is spiritual. I am being created in his image. Really, Andy. You and I aren’t all that much different. We both feel blessed. In our carefully tailored ways. Think about it. We are individuals. Respecting each other. That’s what our creators encourage us to do. Let’s  feel joyful. For each other.  And not quibble over minor details. We are supposed to love each other. That's the message. Now let's do it. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, February 7, 2017 12:38 PM

Even Christians themselves have sharp disagreements over what happens after death, Andy. I am conversant. With a wide range of Christian thought. From conservative to liberal. Once upon a time, I was a Christian myself. I graduated from a church-related Christian college. With a seminary on the same campus. I still occasionally audit courses at a Christian seminary. Some of my best friends are clergymen, and seminary professors. I’ve studied religions. I talk to Muslims, Jews, Hindus. Buddhists. The whole gamut. I’m fascinated by the world’s religions. I know the Bible. Enough to know of the varied and wonderful interpretations. There’s so much. To read into the Bible. It’s a beautiful book. Great literature.  Believe me. I am not making fun of Christians. Or any other religion. Everyone has a right to believe what they want to believe. That’s the message I’m getting. From my creator. He sounds like a pretty liberal and tolerant fellow to me. Makes me happy. To be alive and conscious. A true believer in the spiritual side of life. --Jim

sharon11daugherty
Posted: Tuesday, February 7, 2017 7:00 PM

I read something this morning that has helped me so much.  

Do not fear the frown of the world.   When a blind man comes against you in the street you are not angry at him.  You understand. He is blind, 'or he would not have hurt me.'  Say the same of those in this world when they speak against your belief. " He is blind."

Many of my adult children are far from me  Spiritually when their choices are poor.... However, run into a snag and they are communicating and asking for help from the woman they make fun of for asking God for her Resources....     

Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, February 7, 2017 9:21 PM

Please keep musing, Andy and Sharon. I’m listening. Reading. Every word. Absorbing and appreciating your honesty. Indeed, you have posted some stimulating and meaningful and respectful stuff.  You are making musings a better place to be. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2017 1:49 PM

I’ve listened. Avidly. To Muslims, Jews, Hindus. Buddhists and Christians. Studied their beliefs. From top to bottom. And I still prefer my route. That of an independent spiritual free-thinker. But I have the highest regard and respect. For the other religions. They are all right. For the right people. To each his own. It’s my belief that they all qualify for advancement to the spiritual realm. They all may travel different routes to get there. But in the end, they all wind up in the same place. Paradise. Believe me. I love ‘em all. Yes, my vision. Of a perfect world. I’ll settle for nothing less. See you all there. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Thursday, February 9, 2017 11:35 AM

I refuse to be god-fearing, Andy. I look at my creator as the creator. I prefer that over the term ‘god.’  I give him credit.  For creating me. I can’t speak for others. That’s their choice. As to what to believe. My creator is a creator of love. Not to be feared. He doesn’t even require me to believe in him beyond a doubt. Doesn’t matter. He treats religious believers and atheists alike. He tells me that some atheists live more pure lives than the believers. And that’s why, ultimately, he saves everyone. Because he practices pure love. Pure forgiveness.  Everyone is saved. Even those who lived before the creation of organized religions.  Even before civilized societies. Actually, he has doubts about whether we’ve ever had a truly civilized society. Maybe that comes only in the spiritual realm. Maybe ‘completely civilized’ is meant to be impossible in the physical realm. Who knows? My creator wants everyone to get a taste of physical existence. To pave the way for spiritual existence. Then it’s an entirely different ball game.  Everyone automatically falls in love. With the spiritual. Because they know instantly that it’s far better than the physical. They are enamored with their new life.  It is bliss. Doesn’t matter whether it’s called Heaven or Nirvana or Valhalla or Paradise. And everyone finally learns the truth. That their ‘god’ was not to be feared, after all.  All this time, he was to be taken as the god of love and total forgiveness. And that’s what we all should be. Creatures of love and forgiveness. At the very moment we arrive in Paradise, or whatever you want to call it. Call me a Pollyanna. Call me weird. Call me crazy.  Doesn’t matter. As long as I see the light and arrive in my version of Paradise.  By the way, my creator has created physical life. On many, many other planets in the infinite cosmos. Millions. Billions. Trillions. Life abounds. What can be more thrilling than that? Especially if we all end up in a spiritual Paradise. Call me an optimist. A believer. Better that than living in fear of the gods. How’s that? For a refreshing outlook on life and eternity. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Thursday, February 9, 2017 9:52 PM

Let me compliment you, Andy. You make me smile. You make me feel good. For one thing, I am happy that you’ve found your way. To Christian-based happiness and contentment. Please try to be happy for me, too. Because I have found happiness and contentment. In my own way. My way is not for you. And your way is not for me. That’s all right. To each his own. There is no single way that is right for everyone. We all have to search. Some of us will stumble ahead. And end up in Paradise. By amazing grace. We’re both believers, Andy. Think of it that way. Let’s some day walk on water. Together. One can do that, you know. In Paradise.  --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 6:00 AM

I know where you are coming from, Andy. I’ve been there. Our paths have crossed. On the journey. So very many. That I have met. Along the way. This way. That way. All kinds of wonderful people. Of different faiths. Sincere believers. In where they are going. We encourage each other.  To keep open minds.  To share our thoughts. To help each other. To fall in love. With life.  So many, many ways. To accomplish our missions. Anyway, it’s been a joy. Meeting you along the way. I’ve met Jesus, too. In spirit. Sat down. And had a beer with him. He’s a convivial, engaging, friendly  fella. Worth knowing. Often misinterpreted. Misunderstood. Even by Christians.  Anyway, he’s tutored me. A lot. About his philosophy of life. He is a philosopher, you know. At least, that’s the way I see him. I like his ethics. He can be trusted.  As a dear friend.  Yes, I’ve met so very many fascinating spirits. They are good company. Along the way to Paradise. Meeting you, too, Andy. It’s been a delight. Trying to turn a stranger into a friend.  I learned that from Jesus. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 11:31 PM

Novelists create stories. But I use my imagination. To create my life.  To live what might seem like a fantastic story. A new chapter every day. And I’m the protagonist. The teller of the story. That I am living. This is not wishful thinking.  Not a novel. But actual life of a romantic idealist, a spiritual free-thinker, a political liberal, a writer, a lover, a dreamer. --Jim