RSS Feed Print
A potential dilemma.
Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, July 8, 2017 9:24 AM

Sometimes it’s best to not allow my friends, and especially my relatives, to influence me. To steer clear of their advice and promptings and requests. It’s not always the easy thing to do. Because I like to be a nice guy. I like to do favors.  Because I’ve been brought up. On the premise that blood and true friendship happen to be thicker than water.  But I’m not so sure about that anymore. I have an inner soul. A sense of right and wrong. That dictates to me. That strangers deserve equal treatment. Indeed, that might offend a friend or relative. I tell my Christian friends though. That’s what I sense Jesus would do.  That poses a potential dilemma. --Jim

Underdog
Posted: Saturday, July 8, 2017 1:05 PM

So is the potential dilemma pomposity?

Maybe narcissism.

Keep schoolin' them Christians... as to what Jesus would do.

Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, July 8, 2017 3:49 PM

Yes. Yes, Underdog. You could be right. You are a wise man. You know how to get me to think. Thank you. I'm sure Jesus would tell me to be less pompous. And more humble. I should seek more honest answers. Rather than what I want to hear.  For the purpose of satisfying my ego.  Too often, I make a fool of myself. With babble. Sometimes I get it right. But too often I get it wrong. But I try not to be embarrassed. When being a fool. Helps me get it right. Eventually. Better late than never. ---Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, July 8, 2017 5:09 PM

It is impossible to protect myself from being a fool. Because I am a natural born fool. It's in my genes. In my blood. I must learn acceptance.  And to be what I am.  An unmitigated fool. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 9:17 AM

So easy for a fool to be confident in himself. Little wonder. That I proceed through life. With ample confidence. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 9:25 AM

I am able to talk and write. Before I think. That always gives me something to think about. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 9:39 AM

I like the word goad. It has so much meaning. An effective way to start a conversation. With a devious and devilish smile.  --Jim
jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 10:00 AM

goad...provoke or annoy (someone) 

why here when people are looking for 

encouragement...give support, confidence, or hope to (someone).

your motive is?

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 11:59 AM

I believe in positive goading. Rather than negative goading. I goad in an effort to stimulate minds. To trigger the thought process.  Life is full of positives and negatives. Let's look for the positives. Such as positive stress. Not negative stress. Positive humor. Rather than negative humor. There are at least two sides to everything. Often, many sides. I'm goading now. In a positive way. Come. Join me. Let's practice. Positive goading.  --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 12:18 PM

Another thing. I like to break with tradition. And go in search of new ways. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 12:20 PM

And I like to offend. In positive ways. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 12:24 PM

Too many of us take positive thoughts. And turn them into negative thoughts. I've done it myself. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 12:26 PM

I've also taken negative thoughts. And turned them into positive thoughts. That's my specialty. --Jim
jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 2:39 PM

offend...cause to feel upset, annoyed, or resentful. You call call it good but it is not.
I guess you just make up your own definitions...makes it difficult to have a rational discussion when not using correct definitions 
can there be honest discourse unless the same language is used?   come on... there is no conversation....no real  meaning ...but then discourse is not the goal..is it 

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 2:51 PM

My best teachers. Goaded me. Into thinking with an open mind. Maybe that’s how I learned. To goad myself, and others. I learned to question. What I had already been taught. By my parents. By my friends and acquaintances. By preachers. By the news media. More and more. I learned to think for myself. Not to automatically accept the gospel truth. Goading became a positive and productive pastime. Yes. Yes. I am appreciative. Of the goaders. They got me thinking. And feeling more alive. --Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 3:11 PM

so present something thought worthy...I will discuss...I need no goad nor offending...I will even start...in keeping with the goal stated for this message board, how would you best describe grief and please let's keep with mutually understoond definitions
Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 3:12 PM

I love to expand the dictionary definitions of words. To make the words more meaningful. Many, many words have taken on new meanings over the course of time and history. That’s the way it should be. I even dare change my style of writing.  To something other than what was taught me. I like to break the rules. My favorite writers. My favorite artists. My favorite philosophers. Even my Italian amore. They all break the rules. And I love them for it. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 3:16 PM

It probably wouldn't hurt you, jfkoc, to break some of your own rigid rules. Give it a try. Set yourself free. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 3:29 PM

One thing about me. I try not to be a stick-in-the-mud. Tell me. Does that same go for the rest of you? --Jim
jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 4:10 PM

Your judgement is that I have rigid rules? 6 children, 13 grandchildren, 4 great grandchildren, caretaker for parents, in the publishing business, traveling the world, a writer, a designer and as many years taking care of my husband (at home) as you took care of your wife. 

All in all I am satisfied with what I have accomplished and was never a handmaiden to rigidity. No, not rigid but having a hard time with grief. Thought you , or anyone else, might muse with me about it.. 

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 5:17 PM

We all have some rigid rules, jfkoc, that we don't dare break. Admit it. Me included. You have rules that apply to other people.  Even to me. You have rules that you would encourage me to follow. Meanwhile, my aim/intent is to be nice to you. And to try to understand you and your needs and rules much better. I like you. Because you have the guts to come to musings. And to participate. Overall, you seem to tolerate me. Thank you for that. And for sticking around and making musings a better place. --Jim
jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 5:25 PM

so no muse/share with the grief...no conversation ... I did think you might help me
Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 6:01 PM

I wonder, jfkoc, why you have a problem with grief. Especially when you have so much going on in your life. You can write, you can design, you can travel and savor so much.  So many opportunities to get on with life. And think of it. So many children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. Though they also can be a burden. But for you, I doubt it. Tell me more about your grief and the toll it’s taking. I’ve never had prolonged grief. I’ve grieved. But then I got on with life. In relatively short order. Because I have to be in love. With something or someone. Aren’t you in love? At this very moment. With some aspect of your life. You have so much to love. Even your true love’s spirit. In that sense, you haven’t lost him. I never lost my dear Jeanne. She still lives. Inside me. And she encouraged me to get on with life. In so many loving ways. Jeanne is happy for me.  True love never dies. Jeanne’s spirit tells me it’s silly to keep grieving. --Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 6:04 PM

thank  you
Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 6:06 PM

What is your true love's spirit telling you? Are you even listening? --Jim
chrisp1653
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 6:08 PM

Jim, you can do better than that. Grief is not one of the words that is fluidic. It is just pain, and sorrow. It's tears, and sometimes the lack of tears when we wish they would come. It's wishing for another minute with someone. It's knowing that one can no longer ask a question , or at least, understanding that the answer may not be forthcoming. It's a hole in the heart that stubbornly refuses to be filled. It's the too quiet room.

Are these dictionary definitions ? No. These are the definitions I feel in the empty bedroom that was my mom's. They're the old memories of my dad, brought back to the surface by the passing of my mom.

I really don't have any answer for grief, except for my faith, and the knowledge that a lifetime of good memories will eventually cover up the scars.

Maybe grief is that wall in the heart that constantly begs to be pushed, hit, kicked, and chiseled into, until it has mostly worn away. Grief is just the temporary bracing put in place to keep the house from falling until permanent repairs can be made. Sure, it's ugly. Ugly with a purpose. Ugly until it's disassembled, to be stored away and saved for the next time.

But it sure ain't fluid.

Blessings,

Chris

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 6:39 PM

Grief is grief is grief, Chris. It affects different people in different ways. Both positive and negative. Everyone has to deal with it. In their own way. I can tell others  how I do it. In my own positive way.  It works for me. But it may not work for anyone else. It’s a very personal thing. I try not to tell people how to live. Though I don’t hesitate telling them how I live. Because I like to share. Others can do as they please. Too many people misconstrue my comments. As telling them what to do. It just ain’t so. They are on their own. Just like me. I do as I please. --Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, July 9, 2017 7:16 PM

and thank you chris...I so understand and it helped
Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 5:27 PM

I still ask questions, Chris. Of my mom and dad. And my dear sweet Jeanne. They’ve all passed away. But they still live.  Inside me. I ask them some of the same questions that I ask my creator. And very personal stuff, too. That I didn’t ask ever before. And I get answers. Beautiful answers. Full of joy. And keen insights. I pose questions, too, to the spirits of people I’ve never known. It’s wonderful. I don’t have to mourn or grieve. Not when I have direct communication. With everyone that I ever loved. Maybe that’s why I don’t spend a whole lot of time grieving. Because I’m busy and blessed. Communing with their spirits. Try it Chris. You can do it. You have what it takes. You are a believer in the Holy Spirit, aren't you? --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 8:44 AM

Sometimes I wonder if I am a true believer. And don't know it. What is a true believer? --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 8:48 AM

Tell me, true believers. What is a true believer? --Jim
jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 9:05 AM

A true believer is one who is deeply devoted to a cause or could be religion.  Probably self determined by one's self and certainly not always recognizable by others.
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 12:30 PM

Keep posting, jfkoc, and tell me when you need consoling. To get you through your grief. No doubt, you’ll make it. Obviously, you love life. So many options. So many ways to stay in love. And you are so fortunate. To have had a true love. A good marriage. And children. And a diverse career.  And many talents. And reasonably good health, or so I assume. You’ve survived spring chickenhood.  Yes, another blessing. --Jim