RSS Feed Print
life(1)
MissHer
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 4:44 PM
Joined: 11/13/2014
Posts: 2345


Hello darkness, my old friend

I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence
Andrew60
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 7:33 PM
Joined: 7/17/2017
Posts: 342


Simon and Garfunkel, one of my favorite groups. Whenever I feel overly stressed,  Bridge over troubled waters always calms me down. I put on my Bose wireless headphones, and sit in my favorite chair, off by myself.
chrisp1653
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 11:25 PM
Joined: 1/23/2017
Posts: 1219


It's hard to argue with Simon and Garfunkle, but I still think Cat Stevens is my all time favorite. Of course, there are The Corries, and The Beatles, and ....
Andrew60
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2018 6:15 AM
Joined: 7/17/2017
Posts: 342


When I was a teenager, I was a hard rock guy, but my girlfriend loved Cat Stevens. Over the period of a few months,  I also became a fan of his early music. Many sessions of listening to his music lead to chap lips.....
ruthmendez
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2018 10:20 AM
Joined: 9/8/2017
Posts: 2314


HI! 

 I came to ruin everyone's fun>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4&list=RDu9Dg-g7t2l4 

I am thee darkness....


MissHer
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2018 11:15 AM
Joined: 11/13/2014
Posts: 2345


ruthmendez wrote:

HI! 

 I came to ruin everyone's fun>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4&list=RDu9Dg-g7t2l4 

I am thee darkness....

 

I liked it Ruth.
Old Version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4

ruthmendez
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2018 11:27 AM
Joined: 9/8/2017
Posts: 2314


It's lovely.  I like it when we bring the old back and live on!  Those originals are the best.
chrisp1653
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2018 1:54 PM
Joined: 1/23/2017
Posts: 1219


You do ruin my fun, Ruth, but you're so sweet about the way you do it that I just can't hold it against you.

Andy, I believe I know what you mean about those lips.

Deb, thank you, thank you, for the real song.

I left my heart in 1960... Well, ok. I didn't really. In1960 I was only 7 years old.


MissHer
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2018 12:39 AM
Joined: 11/13/2014
Posts: 2345


One of the first concerts I went to..Before the hippie music The Hollies ..The air that I breathe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wACCgCCjRc

 

He ain't heavy..he's my brother

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYzfTdIZoP0


MissHer
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2018 1:02 AM
Joined: 11/13/2014
Posts: 2345


BREAD  1972  David Gates wrote it for his deceased  father. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4dXrV4FtjE


chrisp1653
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2018 1:44 AM
Joined: 1/23/2017
Posts: 1219


You would bring up that particular song ! When I first heard Wild World on the radio, I didn't like it at all, and since a lot of the stations back then couldn't seem to be bothered to say who did a song, I wasn't aware that it was Cat Stevens. Soooo, when my favorite magazine, Stereo Review, did a two page article on this guy I'd never heard of - Cat Stevens - I just had to buy the album it mentioned. First song...Where Do The Children Play ? I love it ! Second song... Hard Headed Woman. I liked that one too. Third song... OH NO !!! This is the guy who sings that song I don't like !

Well, I could drag this out even longer, but suffice to say that in a short amount of time, I decided I did indeed like Wild World, and all the rest of  Tea For The Tillerman.

"A simple garden, with acres of sky
A brown-haired dogmouse
If one dropped by
Yellow delanie would sleep well at night
With everything emptying into white."


MissHer
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2018 1:46 AM
Joined: 11/13/2014
Posts: 2345


Ooops  Cat Stevens   Wild World   
MissHer
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2018 1:49 AM
Joined: 11/13/2014
Posts: 2345


chrisp1653 wrote:

You would bring up that particular song ! When I first heard Wild World on the radio, I didn't like it at all, and since a lot of the stations back then couldn't seem to be bothered to say who did a song, I wasn't aware that it was Cat Stevens. Soooo, when my favorite magazine, Stereo Review, did a two page article on this guy I'd never heard of - Cat Stevens - I just had to buy the album it mentioned. First song...Where Do The Children Play ? I love it ! Second song... Hard Headed Woman. I liked that one too. Third song... OH NO !!! This is the guy who sings that song I don't like !

Well, I could drag this out even longer, but suffice to say that in a short amount of time, I decided I did indeed like Wild World, and all the rest of  Tea For The Tillerman.

"A simple garden, with acres of sky
A brown-haired dogmouse
If one dropped by
Yellow delanie would sleep well at night
With everything emptying into white."

That's pretty funny Chris! The one I remember the most is When you coming home dad..Been a long time dad..
 Cat's in the Cradle


MissHer
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2018 2:32 AM
Joined: 11/13/2014
Posts: 2345


Moody Blues..weird hippie music we used to listen to. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEMuAnFH_lM


Andrew60
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2018 7:14 AM
Joined: 7/17/2017
Posts: 342


MissHer wrote:
chrisp1653 wrote:

You would bring up that particular song ! When I first heard Wild World on the radio, I didn't like it at all, and since a lot of the stations back then couldn't seem to be bothered to say who did a song, I wasn't aware that it was Cat Stevens. Soooo, when my favorite magazine, Stereo Review, did a two page article on this guy I'd never heard of - Cat Stevens - I just had to buy the album it mentioned. First song...Where Do The Children Play ? I love it ! Second song... Hard Headed Woman. I liked that one too. Third song... OH NO !!! This is the guy who sings that song I don't like !

Well, I could drag this out even longer, but suffice to say that in a short amount of time, I decided I did indeed like Wild World, and all the rest of  Tea For The Tillerman.

"A simple garden, with acres of sky
A brown-haired dogmouse
If one dropped by
Yellow delanie would sleep well at night
With everything emptying into white."

That's pretty funny Chris! The one I remember the most is When you coming home 

dad..Been a long time dad..
 Cat's in the Cradle

Cats in the Cradle, and old Harry Chapin song. That song brings back many memories from my youth, and a song I have not heard in years.



MissHer
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2018 10:11 AM
Joined: 11/13/2014
Posts: 2345


Oh wow Andrew. I guess it was. I have been thinking it was Cat Stevens all of these years. thx
BadMoonRising
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2018 12:22 PM
Joined: 4/22/2017
Posts: 322


Even better. Father and Son by Cat Stevens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-7c4VNGOgU&list=RDb-7c4VNGOgU&t=5



chrisp1653
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2018 8:34 PM
Joined: 1/23/2017
Posts: 1219


How appropriate for this venue, BadMoonRising :

" But take your time, think a lot
   Why, think of everything you've got
   For you will still be here tomorrow
   but your dreams may not . "

My Barbara is still here, but all of her hopes and dreams have disappeared.


Andrew60
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2018 8:45 AM
Joined: 7/17/2017
Posts: 342


chrisp1653 wrote:

You would bring up that particular song ! When I first heard Wild World on the radio, I didn't like it at all, and since a lot of the stations back then couldn't seem to be bothered to say who did a song, I wasn't aware that it was Cat Stevens. Soooo, when my favorite magazine, Stereo Review, did a two page article on this guy I'd never heard of - Cat Stevens - I just had to buy the album it mentioned. First song...Where Do The Children Play ? I love it ! Second song... Hard Headed Woman. I liked that one too. Third song... OH NO !!! This is the guy who sings that song I don't like !

Well, I could drag this out even longer, but suffice to say that in a short amount of time, I decided I did indeed like Wild World, and all the rest of  Tea For The Tillerman.

"A simple garden, with acres of sky
A brown-haired dogmouse
If one dropped by
Yellow delanie would sleep well at night
With everything emptying into white."

I think my favorite song of his was “Moonshadow”. Once he changed in the early 80s, and became somewhat of a radical, it would be hard to listen to him again.



MissHer
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 8:18 PM
Joined: 11/13/2014
Posts: 2345


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St6jyEFe5WM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUSzL2leaFM


ruthmendez
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 10:13 PM
Joined: 9/8/2017
Posts: 2314


You got some great taste in music, Deb. Now you got me playing these at work.  YouTube mixes.  Thx
MissHer
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 10:33 PM
Joined: 11/13/2014
Posts: 2345


You have a great job if you can listen to you tube at work.  The best music is from the 60's and 70's. Everyone likes it even the young people.
Beachfan
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 11:56 AM
Joined: 2/1/2018
Posts: 549


“In my life” by the Beatles........the “spoken” version by Sean Connery gives me the chills. 

Love that old time rock and roll..... I always ask the kids and now, grandkids, “Where were you in ‘62?” They think I’m nuts. 


BadMoonRising
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 12:55 PM
Joined: 4/22/2017
Posts: 322


Here's an oldie that I think everyone on this thread can relate to: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr_eVcCAUXo

Drift Away - Dobie Gray


Andrew60
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 2:07 PM
Joined: 7/17/2017
Posts: 342


Excellent, Drift Away, 1973. I was a hard rock fan, but this song is a classic, brings back lots of memories.
MissHer
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 2:11 PM
Joined: 11/13/2014
Posts: 2345


Yes, I liked it too! Thanks.. Must be a million really great songs from the era.
MissHer
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 10:40 PM
Joined: 11/13/2014
Posts: 2345


Marmalade "Reflections of my life."

   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTeI65yrhGw 


ruthmendez
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 11:01 PM
Joined: 9/8/2017
Posts: 2314


Another great one Deb!  Awesome
ruthmendez
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 11:02 PM
Joined: 9/8/2017
Posts: 2314


Gosh!  All of these I haven't heard in a while!  I miss them
MissHer
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 11:09 PM
Joined: 11/13/2014
Posts: 2345


It's all so bittersweet isn't it.