RSS Feed Print
Things that irk me
Veterans kid
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2018 1:33 PM

@ Ruth- lol!  

You totally get what I was saying  

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2018 4:42 PM

Miss Her...I got this email funding thing for some basketball team. Figured it was a scam. No, it was a granchild's team.

I told her sorry and next time she should contact me personally...

MissHer
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2018 11:23 PM

I refused to allow my kids to knock on strangers doors begging for money for the school. They were only allowed to go trick or treating, maybe, 3 times in their life and my last child went one time with the neighbor and her mom and she didn't enjoy it.  Don't take candy from strangers. haha

When kids knock on my door I do buy whatever though. lol It's quite rare nowadays.

Retirednstuck
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 2:56 PM

Andy, Do you have a cat? Mine jumps up and nooks them off and they are all on the floor of the closet, somewhere LOL ...
llee08032
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 7:41 AM

ruthmendez wrote:
whiny drama

Yes whiners! You cannot even greet them with a how are you today? w/o hearing about all the misery and pain they are in. I know some whiner's who actually never feel well or have a good day. Sadly, some of them are young and in the prime of their life!

llee08032
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 7:47 AM

Just wanted to add something that doesn't irk me which is Ruth's playful spirit here on our board. Stay playful Ruth! You have a great way of lightening things up around here.
Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 2:06 PM

Bold-faced liars. Especially politicians. --Jim
Andrew60
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 5:41 PM

Sometimes, I irk myself. Im normally a very happy individual and let “stuff” slide off me like water off a duck. However, earlier today I let someone get inside my head, and that irks me. Yes, I can be a real irker at times. But, I march on, just like I did all those years in the Marines.
Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 6:26 PM

When people wrongly think I'm trying to get inside their heads. When, really, they are getting inside their own heads. With negative thoughts. I have nothing to do with it. --Jim
Andrew60
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 9:41 PM

Jim - Note that I said “I LET” them get inside my head. So yes, anytime words have an affect on me, thats my issue, nobody else's. Things  cognitively have to be going just wrong, and at the right time, for me to have issues with mere words. Most of the time, even that which I deeply disagree with, has zero affect on me. In short, I can “Irk” myself.
llee08032
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2018 8:39 AM

I too irk myself at times and sometimes have to get up off of my own nerves.
jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2018 7:58 PM

We have a new law in OK. You must staybout of the left lane unless you are passing
llee08032
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2018 7:58 AM

https://wordpress.com/post/tiredofbaddriversgetyourbeefonbumpersticker.com/3
Underdog
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2018 7:39 PM

So I'm driving to the market to pick up some feminine products for the wife; which in itself could be a rant, when as I approach a tasty parking spot, I spy that it is already taken... BY A SHOPPING CART!!

Who does that? I can answer my own question as I have seen the blasphemers in action before. I've held my tongue but it keeps getting more difficult as my filters disappear with age. What benefit is there in growing old if you can't scream at an unsuspecting evil doer?

The shopping cart is a courtesy, you don't pay for its use, it's a kindness so as you can save effort. Why take up somebody else's time because you lack the sense God gave a dung beetle? There are even cart stations placed strategically throughout the lot. How many steps did you save just to frustrate somebody that you will never see?

So I have a decision to make, get out of the car and move the obtrusive, formerly welcome object? Or drive on and get a less desirable space. The honk from behind makes my decision for me. Have at you impatient snot, take a look at what slowed me down and welcome to my world.

The grocery store doesn't have to supply its customers with this item which aids with such convenience. As a matter of fact, back in the day there were no shopping carts. Before the question "Paper or plastic?" there was only paper. Before that you relied on the bag boy helping you with your groceries to the car.

Not many people remember this but originally you had to schlep your own purchases to the car yourself no matter how many trips it took. The people behind you waited, and back then they waited patiently. You tell the kids that today and they don't believe you.

As I walk to the entrance I pass the offending cart, I sigh and take it with me into the store to use. It's inanimate cold steel had no choice in the matter and using the same cart the inconsiderate buffoon used has a tranquilizing effect on me. That's right, I'm better than him.

ruthmendez
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2018 10:38 PM

Underdog, I can picture myself doing this someday....>>>TOWANDA!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx0z9FjxP-Y

chrisp1653
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2018 11:31 PM

I believe that time has shown that shopping carts encourage larger purchases, and therefore actually pay for themselves, and then some, but L do agree that it's pretty lazy to leave a cart in a parking slot. I am curious about the dung beetle though. Has anyone tested them to see if they more consistently take their shopping carts back to the cart corral than humans ?
ruthmendez
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2018 11:46 PM

I have no doubt they do. I mean, look at ants.  They can travel long distances and make little colonies.  They are so intelligent.

I remember once as a kid, I got attacked by a bunch of red angry ants, it was an awful experience.  I just wanted to see what was up in that colony.  Bad idea.  

markus8174
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2018 8:21 AM

ruthmendez wrote:
shopping at Walmart on a late night, assuming no one will be there....but then I find everyone in the city wants to be there at the same time I am!!!
I found (when I was younger and braver), SuperWalmart at 2am was more entertaining than an off-Broadway show with a "R" rating. One girl trying on shorts without the pesky business of going to the dressing room, a "Studly Dooright" in very tented basketball shorts that was obviously very happy to be shopping with his girlfriend in the health & beauty section.... All those humorous photos on the web that show Walmart oddballs are not hyperbole. They should charge admission! That's why I shop at Target when I'm doing more than sight seeing.  

markus8174
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2018 8:28 AM

Back to the main topic: Idiot drivers: that don't understand a 4way stop, that the runway to the highway is called the "acceleration lane" , driving 10 miles under the speed limit in the left hand lane on their phone with their turn signal indicating a plan to bash into the center guardrail,  kindly offering to yield their right-of-way in any situation- which just stops up the traffic flow, cruising around a round-about in the exiting lane (instead of center lane)..... Doesn't ANYONE know how to drive?
markus8174
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2018 8:32 AM

llee08032 wrote:

I oftentimes forget my bags on those turnstile tables they pack the bags on. The Walmart cashiers did not remind me to take my bags on more than two occasions. The first time this happened when I went back to the store to retrieve my bag I was treated like a thief. I try to avoid physically going to Walmart like the plaque. If you spend more than $49 you can order most things online from Walmart. I either do that or spend a little more for the peace of mind in shopping at a smaller store.

I've been missing one of my favorite tank tops now for two weeks?

I think Walmart cashiers do their Christmas shopping from bags they got customers to leave behind. Either that, or the store trains them to hide bags of purchased items to ensure repeat business when you have to buy your stuff again.

Andrew60
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2018 10:53 AM

I hate waiting a long time for the check after eating a nice meal. The waitresses always seem to time it right by asking me how the meal is while I have a mouthful of food, but never seem to notice when were done eating , waiting for the check. I also understand that some restaurant owners will understaff certain shifts, which really makes the waitress have to hustle. However, there have been many times with the place half empty, we still waited, and waited. I always tip well above 20 percent (mainly becasue my daughter years ago was a waitress), but if I have to wait too long, I will still tip, but not above 20 percent.
Andrew60
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2018 4:47 PM

Politics, and mainly those who obsess over it. Folks are threatening members  of Congress over their votes, threatening family members, and mainly throwing hissy fits because someone dares to disagree with their own thoughts.
His Daughter
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 11:27 AM

I agree with that one Andrew.  This current intimidation has got to stop.  

Something else that irks me?  Moderators locking a thread.  

Andrew60
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 11:41 AM

Locking of threads usually only happens when the conversation is trending towards conservatives. All conservatives already deals with 95 percent of the media anti GOP, so I get use to this. However, some of the topics discussed on this Alz forum maybe dont need to be talked about at all. Lately, I have participated in some of those talks, but hopefully I will let them go in the future, and stick with the main subject matter of this forum.

What irks me? Lately, more things than ever before. Gone are my days of being the easy go lucky person, but Im learning to adjust as best I can.

His Daughter
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 5:19 PM

Andrew, I honestly think it's a good thing that people can discuss issues other than ALZ on this forum.  This disease often seems to swallow us whole.  It's easy to live it 24/7. (I certainly did for quite awhile)    In the beginning, I also read tons of books on ALZ. It seemed like every single second of my life was taken by Alzheimer's.   Finally, I needed just SOMETHING to wrap my mind around that wasn't disease.  I did a ton of reading on history and politics.  It honestly helped me emotionally.  I always looked forward to kicking back with my book at the end of the long day.   

I think the musings category is just the right place for people who need a break.  New concepts, differing opinions, politics, whatever.............just so it's not ALZ 24/7!   Our minds and hearts need the rest.  

And someday, we'll step outside of caregiving. (We all do)  So these other discussions might help us to feel, that we are actually "current".    

Andrew60
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 7:01 PM

His Daughter - Its hard to argue with your logic.
abc123
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2019 10:49 AM

Dear His Daughter, His Mom, 

I miss you. 

Jo C.
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 6:56 AM

. . . . my irksome thing . . . . use of word, "closure," especially when involving horrific events and surviviors.   Who in the world really feels in such circumstance there is real closure.  That word is now being used for so many things.

Or . . . overwhelming political correctness gone beyond the galaxy.  A store just pulled all bride Halloween costumes for children as someone complained that it supported child brides in other cultures.

Just me; others may well have a different point of view.

J.

Doityourselfer
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 10:58 AM

People who gossip.
ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 12:11 AM

Unrealistic  high expectations and resorting to accepting so little.

Or, not really making sense to what I'm trying to say or I just don't know the correct way to say what I feel, like the statement above.

Is that even irk-able??  Or just sad?

abc123
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 11:20 AM

When someone washes the dishes half a__ed and leaves food and gunk in the sink strainer!!! It IRKS me to the point of anger! I have a house guest whose been here for 8 weeks and she NEVER cleans the kitchen sink or strainer. Am I just too uptight? What do you say Ruth?
Jo C.
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 12:45 PM

Eight weeks? Omigosh.  If you have already talked to her about this, then that is a definite breach.  If you haven't, then time to firmly tell her the expectations and rules, no exceptions.  If she has been told and still is not cleaning up adequately . . . .

If she is a cognizant person, then jumping up and down and shouting, "GERMS!!! GUNK!!!  BACTERIA!!!  THAT'S IT - YOUR KITCHEN PRIVILEGES ARE HEREBY REVOKED!!!"  Or perhaps time to revoke her houseguest status and have her go on her way?

You might find yourself losing a friend, but that is very thoughtless health issue.  So sorry. I cannot stand dirty sink or kitchen for that matter.   Perhaps you need a dishwasher or better house guests.

Eight weeks???

J.

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 6:33 PM

I think you have a boarder not a guest.....lol
ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2019 7:56 PM

Ooooo no... I don’t know what I’d say. And if she doesn’t even wash the dishes well that’s just so gross.  She’s a guest....another bit of problem. I would probably kinda jokingly tell her “ you know...move over n’ I’ll do it. You do crappy job washing the dishes anyway...Hahhaha!” Really...I don’t know...but people just don’t change...

I’m not sure if she’s sensitive, so maybe my way of handling it is kinda cruel but shitty for me because I’m doing everything. It sucks

seeking sanity
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2020 11:04 PM

Towanda indeed! Face it girls, I'm older and have more insurance!  You go girl!