RSS Feed Print
Lane has just explained why amyloid reduction alone fails, what needs to change, and a yogurt-like drink to reduce inflammation
HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 10:20 AM

all the while telling us what essential oils help to treat the emotional disturbances of existing Alzheimer's.

This board is what it is because of his contributions, and an dogged determination to share helpful information with those who can benefit.

Thank you Lane.

Please read Norephrinine, Amyloid, Tau and Zinc, and read what Lane suggests, he is your best source for what is happening in Alzheimer's treatment.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 11:04 AM

What a very nice thing to say.  Thank you for making the connections and for directing other people to the posts on Norepinephrine, Amyloid, Tau, and Zinc and on the yogurt-like drink for Alzheimer's disease.   Those two studies really helped crystalize things for me.

I started studying Alzheimer's disease fifteen years ago.  What I found was too late to help my aunt and my cousin, but soon enough to considerably help my mother.  I began by looking at the major hypotheses for the disease, but none of them applied in every case.  The only thing that seemed consistent was that everyone with Alzheimer's disease had calcium dysregulation.  So I tried to trace what caused calcium dysregulation and found in most cases it began with high levels of myo-inositol (usually due to high glucose levels and/or high sodium intake), the over-activation of g protein-coupled receptors, and receptor tyrosine kinases.  Then, I tried to figure out what the consequence of calcium overload were, and found that they were peroxynitrite formation, DNA damage, mitochondrial dysfunction, and the death of neurons.  The attached chart more or less encompasses what took me about three years to figure out on my own.

https://www.frontiersin.org/files/Articles/131867/fncel-09-00091-HTML/image_m/fncel-09-00091-g003.jpg

The following article is what got me started on aromatherapy with rosemary essential oil for my mother (although the key compound turned out to be eugenol rather than rosmarinic acid);

2007 Jun 18;180(2):139-45. Epub 2007 Mar 12.

A natural scavenger of peroxynitrites, rosmarinic acid, protects against impairment of memory induced by Abeta(25-35).

Abstract

Peroxynitrite (ONOO(-))-mediated damage is regarded to be responsible for the cognitive dysfunction induced by amyloid beta protein (Abeta) in Alzheimer's disease (AD). In the present study, we examined the protective effects of rosmarinic acid (RA), a natural scavenger of ONOO(-), on the memory impairment in a mouse model induced by acute i.c.v. injection of Abeta(25-35). Mice daily received i.p. several doses of RA after the injection of Abeta(25-35). RA prevented the memory impairments induced by Abeta(25-35) in the Y maze test and novel object recognition task. RA, at the effective lowest dose (0.25mg/kg), prevented Abeta(25-35)-induced nitration of proteins, an indirect indicator of ONOO(-) damage, in the hippocampus. At this dose, RA also prevented nitration of proteins and impairment of recognition memory induced by ONOO(-)-i.c.v.-injection. Co-injection of the non-memory-impairing dose of ONOO(-) with Abeta(25-35) blocked the protective effects of RA (0.25mg/kg). These results demonstrated that the memory protective effects of RA in the neurotoxicity of Abeta(25-35) is due to its scavenging of ONOO(-), and that daily consumption of RA may protect against memory impairments observed in AD.

When after a month, my mother asked me why I had been giving this for her to smell every day for a month, I knew it was doing some good.  Over time, she recognized her home again, slept better at night (but dozed a lot during the day), recognized objects, remembered her name, could count numbers and recite the alphabet, stopped having delusions, was comfortable taking a shower again, and was more aware and alert.

In about 2011, I met my research pal and friend Carlos Oliveira through the Alzheimer's Reading Room.  He had came to many of the same conclusions independent of me.  He was (and is) such a good researcher and he helped me in so many ways.

When I came here there was an outstanding group of independent researchers who pointed out many things that I had missed or failed to consider.  It was like opening up a new book.  I was not isolated and alone any more.

I got some fairly tough feeback at times, but unlike other places it was rarely mean or dismissive.  It was more like you have to be more self-critical and find better, more conclusive studies and information.

I appreciate all that you post HowDoYouDeal.  For awhile very few people posted here, but that is changing again--in a good way this time.