RSS Feed Print
2020 Oh,my!
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2020 9:22 PM

I've spent this entire year waiting for things to turn around so I can get some projects done.  After corona virus, my neighbor's death, civil unrest and record heat waves, among other issues, now we're dealing with fires.  I'm in Southern California and I'm far from the fires but the smoke is so thick that it is obscurring the sun.  Where I live, I see no people walking around.  Without the sun, this place looks like a post-apocalyptic scene from a movie.  Gray and empty.  I feel like I'm the last person on earth.  Ugh!  I'm trying hard to keep a positive mental attitude!  It's a good thing I have my cats.  They're the only bit of life here.

Iris

ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, September 9, 2020 1:14 AM

Oh dear...sorry to hear this Iris.  This is an awful awful year.  Are you doing any zoom meetings?  

After months of no contact since March shut downs in CA, I finally called my support group leader.  She said she was hoping to start zoom meetings.  I signed up (I think), now I'm just waiting for an invitation....

Last Saturday/Sunday was unbelievably hot. I don't have AC....my cat and I just walked around or lied down on the tile floor lethargically....and unhappy.  And I cooked food that didn't come out right...now I'm forcing myself to eat it for lunch.  I'm not a great cook, but this dish is really not great....

I got ashes on my car...not sure which fire that was.  I think it was the fire in Alpine.  The sky looks smoky.  But I don't think it's as bad here in San Diego like up north.

Hang in there Iris!  Let us now how tomorrow goes.

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, September 9, 2020 8:46 PM

Hello, Ruth!  I just came fom outside and there's a huge mud patch in the sky over my place!  I also heard on the radio that evacuations are being called for some area, but I don't know which one.  Whew!  These fires are too much!  Did you see the photos of the muddy orange sky over San Francisco that GothicGremlin posted on gubblebumm's thread?  Just when we were hoping to get a reprieve from staying indoors so much, we now have to stay indoors to avoid smoke and air pollution.  I'm glad San Diego is not so affected.  2020--what a year!  

Iris

ruthmendez
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2020 12:00 AM

Hello Iris. I took a look at those photos and omg. That is awful.  No doubt that is hazardous to be in.

Reminds me years ago, I don’t recall which year, but there was a time down here when we were sent home from schools and work to stay indoors.  I think it was for about a week. I remember that smell so strong and so much ash.

Those photos in that thread look so much worse. 

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2020 11:47 AM

It was even worse this morning!  I couldn't even see the tops of the trees, they were so oscurred by smoke and ash!  When will this end?  

Addendum: The Bobcat fire has burned 20,000 acres and is 0% contained.  So it will be a long time before this ends down here. 

Iris

dutiful deb
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2020 10:33 PM

We are experiencing the same up in NW Oregon & SW Washington.  Where I'm at, there are fires all around us. As of today, the closest large fire is about an hour away, and smaller ones are erupting in areas all around within a 20 mile radius. Although they are getting closer, we are safe from fires right now, but everything is covered with ash that is sprinkling down from the sky in fine particles.  The air is heavy with smoke, and our homes & workplaces are permeated with the smell. It looks like a scene from a bad horror movie outside, like one of those really weird "B" movies. I expect William Shatner being chased by giant spiders to appear any time now! Ugh! The prayers being sent out are definitely appreciated.
ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 11:55 PM

When is this horrid heat gonna end?! I’m spoiled with better weather, so a little out of the norm is too much for me.

How are things going up north?