RSS Feed Print
question about a cough
a_step@a_time
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:40 PM

Background,  I was exposed to someone several times over last few months who has a persistent cough.  When I told her she sounds contagious (as my autoimmune disorder makes me sensitive to know she prolly is)- she said no.  Now I have noticed a dry like heaving cough that comes up randomly and feel as if illness is gradually going through my body but not running a fever.  Went to vet with a sick pet that seemed to decline quickly over past few days.  She was so sick that I put her down today (vet said her body was full of pus around her like lungs and would require days of treatment adding up to at least 4k $).  Now I'm wondering if I have pnuemonia. I know I feel strange in the chest area.  

Questions: can I get a blood test for pnuemonia?  Will they do it without symptoms like fever and chills?  ( I do feel like my lung capacity is getting smaller.)

alz+
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2016 8:11 PM

Step -

I think they can diagnosis pneumonia  by sample of sputum and listening to chest sounds.

Was your dog sick with lung infection? I am so sorry that happened.

there are a few really helpful medical people on board who may give you a proper answer tonight.  I hope you do not have pneumonia, too much all at once.

a_step@a_time
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2016 11:07 PM

TThank you Alz+, your compassionate thoughts mean so much.  I feel I failed as a mom to my cat.  The vet showed a vial of pus  with a little redness. (she had at least a soda bottle amt of fluid in her.  Vet called it an infection outside the lungs but didn't specify what... I pushed to know but wasn't given specific answer).  

I would have taken her to vet much earlier but she was an indoor cat with 'strayness' still in her and would jump from arms when I try to pick her up.  I was able to pick her up to go to vet today because she was that ill.  

Yesterday she had energy to fight me but she declined overnight.  

considering some of the others rescued at same time didn't make it longer than a few months due to illness, I do appreciate the 3yrs time I had with her.  (someone dumped a sick cat into the clowder while we were trying to rescue them little by little.  So unfortunate.). Anyways, I had been feeling sick over the last week and she declined too.  I want to be tested for pnuemonia b/c I feel changes in my chest that go down to the bottom of my rib cage.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2016 12:49 AM

Cats and dogs have different diseases from humans.

Yes, pneumonia can be diagnosed from the listening to chest sounds and complete blood count and chest x-ray and sputum culture.  If there is a question of pneumonia or other chest disease, a physician must be consulted ASAP.

Iris L.

a_step@a_time
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2016 8:38 AM

Thanks iris. I am having second thoughts about putting my pet down. Did i do wrong thing? They offered for me to bring her home for a day.  Iwonder if she would have lived a while longer without treatment.  The treatment sounded like it didn't have promising fix for the hospital stay and treatment recommended and home treatment option was way too complex for my brain.  I should have asked more questions. I find it difficult to think properly with my own brain problems. Ugh. I am worried my other cat may also have acquired this illness.  I have so many mixed emotions and feel so guilty for not asking more questions.  I think vet did recommend euthanasia if I chosen non treatment but right now I can't remember.  :/
Iris L.
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2016 8:08 PM

Unfortunately, there are not many treatments for feline diseases.  They don't understand getting shots and IVs and treatments.  We don't want our pets to suffer.  You did the kindest thing for your pet.  I have had to do the same, in the past, several times.

Iris L.

eaglemom
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2016 9:39 PM

If you are concerned about having pneumonia, or any other illness, I would suggest a trip to the local clinic. If you are feeling to poorly, shortness of breath getting worse, please do not hesitate to call 911. I do not mean to alarm you, but that is something to not be put off.

eagle

a_step@a_time
Posted: Sunday, May 1, 2016 2:04 AM

I called clinic today to find out about TB stick test and they told me to go to ER where they could do xray.  Wow, what a long day I had.  I can only guess I was placed low priority (lacking fever and such). 

I was concerned about pneumonia so good thing is that xray checks for both and mine was cleared.  When I asked about diarrhea doc said viral.  Ugh! Explains my kitty suspicion and another kitty seems underweather too now.  Maybe started from petting various dogs out at park??  I feel so stupid not realizing (or remembering?) Some illness can cross creatures.  I am so mad at myself, and feel like a bad 'mom'.  Dang, why me?  I'm so naive and absent minded!  I feel helpless.

TThis dang brain illness makes me feel so stupid.  G*d help us all!!

llee08032
Posted: Sunday, May 1, 2016 9:29 AM

Step,

So sorry to hear about your cat. You did the best you knew to do at the time and it sounds like he/she was very ill and suffering. Glad you don not have pnuemonia! Feel better soon.

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, May 1, 2016 4:42 PM

Keep washing your hands and wipe down surfaces with some disinfectant wipes.

If you have a virus, you just have to wait for your body's immune system to deal with it.  Some viruses never leave the body, they just go dormant, and wait for another weakened moment.

Iris L.

a_step@a_time
Posted: Monday, May 2, 2016 12:37 AM

LLee, thanks! i needed to hear that again.

Iris, good idea. I also sometimes like to use chlorox cleanup spray.  But use carefully when pets around.  I even wore my plastic summer shoes to ER so I could clean them with cleanup spray in shower when I came home.  (I'm a bit on heightened alert for illness right now.  LOL)