RSS Feed Print
inertia and finding remedies
alz+
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 4:38 AM

The sense of being unable to move, avoiding showers or bathing, being stymied

Somedays it feels like I can not even get up and get dressed. It was worse 4 years ago but it happens still. Have tried to figure out what that is, it feels like a heavy straightjacket with a dose of confusion. If it were a permanent thing I would have given up trying to work with it and just become a lump?

That it goes away when I take cbd tincture means it is not a lost ability, it means a lack of fuel or something.

well I was diagnosed in 2013 and at that time I was an emotional wreck, overweight, fighting or crying every day, miserable except for daily walks and I did have a friend to fool around with then (she died 3 years ago).

Now I think I am doing really good. What does that mean? Today I accept my functional time is shorter and likely I will have further cognitive decline, and knowing this I learned how to make the journey more comfortable.

Environment - "proper environment" sounds like something institutional and I could not relate, now I think COMFORTABLE environment. I have not beat the clutter in my house but I think it is a lot less than a year ago, or 6 months ago. Anything undone or too much to handle drains cognitive function. This is non toxic remedy, everyone has to find their own remedies. Bring in what gives you pleasure and comfort, remove what is a burden or have it fixed or cleaned.

Less is more. The more unfinished or untidy things are the more "weight of inertia" there is. I like warm light, I like silence. I want certain colors but have not gotten walls painted, I carry the paint chip in my purse for the room I will live in if my children bring me out west to live.

There may not be a cure for alz but the treatment is how and where you live. I understand some people enjoy assisted living, Iris went on a cruise and had energy the whole trip. That is not something you can buy at pharmacy. We find out this works, or this makes things worse, and if we share these things other people may find the same for themselves.

Stress lowers cognitive abilities, removing stress brings abilities back. Stress can be noise, loneliness, a need for privacy, a mess, financial responsibilities, broken things, pain, cold, heat, etc etc etc Environmental stress robs your cognition like a urinary tract infection or dehydration.

I remember  moving to upstairs bedroom years ago and how much that helped. I had a great mattress, discovered youtube, stopped judging what worked and just gave myself more of that. I discovered rock collecting, took photographs on my walks.

This is the medicine. I still use a low dose antidepressant but have not taken an ativan in ages. I also take a med for heart rate and a couple supplements.

If struggling, the remedy starts by allowing yourself to imagine "things could be better". It is a seed. You water the seed by changing or trying one small thing, a bed you like, getting rid of the lamp that doesn't work, clearing the floor, giving away stuff, making a simple wardrobe YOU LIKE A LOT, better shoes, an easier dog leash. Each thing is small and they add up.

Cut off people that set me off, they don't care and I feel better.

Lower your stress. You can learn how to work with things. You have to be willing. Some of us can not help themselves, but some of us can.

It starts with believing "it might be possible to calm down and live life again" and not just give in to every horror story we have heard or witnessed.

The things I hang on to are sometimes the things that drag me down. 

Work with your inertia if it sounds interesting. My life is better because of things I understood, worked with, opened my heart to, had courage to test. My ALZ is easier to live with now than it was 5 years ago.

rescue yourself

love and courage

Smilesyourway
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2019 2:05 AM

Thanks for sharing.  Your post has helped me understand my unease with the small stuff, the clutter, the inertia as you say.  I'm working on that but it seems like an overwhelming task. 

My mystical relationship with time seems to be getting the best of me these days.  About the time I think I should start a task the day is nearly over. 

With tears in my eyes I ask, when does it get easier?  I feel like I have one foot in reality and one foot in never-never land.  Kinda like I'm a cartoon character in a reality show. 

B.

Andy61
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2019 9:41 AM

Very good post Alz. Over the past few years I have learned a lot from you and if I progress from amnestic MCI, yours and a few others posts will help me transition.

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2019 2:16 PM

What I have learned from Alz+ is, don't be afraid.  Look at what confronts you and get to know it.  We can meet the challenge.  The members here are the only ones who know what can really help people like us.  Outside people are clueless and not worth listening to.

The inertia is REAL.  I am still working on it.  Whoever finds a solution, shout it out!

Iris

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2019 9:13 PM

The reason that outsiders and even professionals don't believe us is that they do not know what executive functions are and they do not have an understanding of impaired executive functions.  Our impairments are INVISIBLE to them.  The fact that they are invisible to the uninformed does not mean that they do not exist.

Iris

Jo C.
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 10:26 PM

Beautifully written, thank you.

J.