RSS Feed Print
B12 deficiency and Alzheimer anxiety
alz+
Posted: Friday, May 3, 2019 9:12 AM

I have endured long bouts of a shaking weakness and feeling in gut of anxiety. I was calling it a prolonged "anxiety attack" or ptsd thing.

Also crying off and on, called it anxiety.

sleepless, weak legs didn't know what from.

Took double dose of B12 liquid sublingual complex and found myself watching TV a couple hours later without the anxiety.

I had a sustained rage event while traveling years back that walking, hot baths, swimming in pools, eating, tea, Ativan - nothing stopped it. Smoked 2 puffs of Purple Kush and it ended so tried cannabis for this "anxiety attack". Nothing.

I tried to look it up today to see if science has found connection from B12 deficiency and ALZ problems, got confused so will leave that up to anyone considering trying it. 

From my understanding it is not harmful in any way. The bottle lasts 2- 3 months if I used daily and costs $6 at most pharmacies. I use Nature's Bounty sublingual. 

My body tells me if something works. if I respond favorably to a remedy and after 2 days ? of using it I am not weak when getting up today then it worked. 

Vast difference. B vitamins also  connected to gut brain where people feel fight or flight.  The gut brain is also where Serotonin is produced and low levels create a depression that drugs to not help. B12 may lift "depression".

If someone is feeling weak, fearful and/or has prolonged weeping, they might try it. 

People used to call it being "depleted" and would say the drained feeling after an emotional or traumatic event was from lost B vitamins. 

Any simple non toxic remedies  that work I share in hopes someone else caught in an endless cycle can benefit.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, May 3, 2019 10:01 AM

Good to know.  B vitamins are not stored in the body so we need a daily supply.

Iris

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, May 3, 2019 10:11 AM

B12 deficiency can cause almost any psychiatric symptom-from anxiety, and panic to depression and hallucinations. This is because B12 deficiencies trigger symptoms in the nervous system and red blood cells.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, May 3, 2019 10:14 AM

The way it is usually presented is that there is a type of reversible dementia caused by vitamin B12 deficiency, but that vitamin B12 supplementation does not help someone with Alzheimer's disease.

I am not so sure of this, though.  Here is one reason why:

What is important to note here, is that hydroxycobalamin [Vitamin B12a] is one of the most powerful scavengers of peroxynitrite (ONOO-) and the other important factor is B12 and its relationship with the amino acid glutathione. Glutathione  is the most powerful antioxidant synthesised in the human body but it becomes depleted because it too scavenges peroxynitrite removing it from cells and excreting this harmful product in urine.

https://www.b12deficiency.info/b12-the-antidote/

There is a direct relationship between low levels of glutathione and rising levels of oxidants (such as peroxynitrite) and the onset and progression of Alzheimer's disease.

The hippocampi – the brain centres for learning and memory – are one of the earliest regions to be sabotaged by Alzheimer’s pathology. Our data revealed that GSH [glutathione] levels plummet in the hippocampi of patients with Alzheimer’s as well as those with MCI [mild cognitive impairment]. The frontal cortices – brain CEOs [chief executive officer] responsible for a variety of executive functions – are chronologically affected later in Alzheimer’s. GSH levels mimic this chronology with no changes in the cortices of MCI patients, but significant reduction in those of Alzheimer’s patients. Interestingly, GSH remains unaffected in the cerebellum – a brain region unaffected by Alzheimer’s till late stages. It appears GSH decline is not ubiquitous but rather a region-specific phenomenon that appears to precisely map the progression of Alzheimer’s in our brains.

https://atlasofscience.org/glutathione-a-molecular-whistleblower-for-alzheimers-disease/

Anything that helps increase glutatione levels and reduce levels of peroxynitrite should help in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease.  To wit:

The neuroprotection by THC and CBD was because of attenuation of peroxynitrite [this from a study on glaucoma but it also applies to Alzheimer's disease].

The other important aspect of this is that Alzheimer's patients who have high levels of norepinephrine (the flight of fight hormone/neurotransmitter) are prone to anxiety and/or hallucinations.  Certain compounds such as B12, low levels of THC, and ferulic acid may help lower levels of norepinephrine and thus help provide more calm (as well as possibly help with depression).

Wishing you well, alz+.  I appreciate your research.

alz+
Posted: Friday, May 3, 2019 1:09 PM

Hi Lane!

my research is pretty much google. I am still calm. I just found it may help INCONTINENCE so definitely going to use it a few times a week to see if it benefits me that way.

The science of all this interesting, love it when you explain stuff!

JFKOC - B12 - a lot easier than stopping the cycle by self improvement thinking!

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/vitamin-b12-deficiency-can-be-sneaky-harmful-201301105780

The New England Journal of Medicine: a severe vitamin B12 deficiency can lead to deep depression, paranoia and delusions, memory loss, incontinence, loss of taste and smell, and more.

"Vitamin B12 deficiency symptoms

Vitamin B12 deficiency can be slow to develop, causing symptoms to appear gradually and intensify over time. It can also come on relatively quickly. Given the array of symptoms a vitamin B12 deficiency can cause, the condition can be overlooked or confused with something else. Vitamin B12deficiency symptoms may include:

• strange sensations, numbness, or tingling in the hands, legs, or feet
  • difficulty walking (staggering, balance problems)
  • anemia
  • a swollen, inflamed tongue
  • difficulty thinking and reasoning (cognitive difficulties), or memory loss
  • weakness
  • fatigue

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, May 3, 2019 1:42 PM

One can have AD and low B12. Fixing the B12 wouold certainly be a good idea.
Carolyn613
Posted: Friday, May 3, 2019 5:07 PM

My husband was found to have low B12. I don't know why the doctors even looked. They presecribed B12. I don't know if it did any good. It surely did no harm. This thread is very interesting.
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, May 4, 2019 1:41 AM

IMHO, everyone over 50 should be screened for vitamin B- 12 deficiency, because absorption decreases after 50.

Iris

Doityourselfer
Posted: Saturday, May 4, 2019 11:05 AM

My 60 year old husband has been taking a b complex vitamin called Folbee Plus since October.  I don't see any difference in his hallucinations, agitation or anxiety.  No medication has helped him in alleviating these things.  He is Stage 6 Alzheimer's.
alz+
Posted: Monday, May 6, 2019 8:33 AM

I am so sorry your husband has gotten zero help. 

Don't imagine his neurologist has suggested cbd oil.

I do know someone who cried for 2 years, high distress. I think his wife did find a doctor who got him a med that helped a lot. can't recall. It must be unbearable for him and you.

alz+
Posted: Monday, May 6, 2019 8:35 AM

Have not wet my pants since started daily B 12.

the estrogen cream helped incontinence but gives migraines. The 2 things may be huge help.

May 9  update -

I have not wet my pants since started daily B12 supplement

For anyone who has to deal with pads and leaking etc this is a huge deal. I would not have made the connection if I had not read that article which found B12 helps incontinence.

also got B12 sublingual tabs (top rated) but I like the B12 complex liquid better. Personal preference. Very inexpensive and safe thing to try.

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2019 1:53 PM

Good to know.  Thanks for sharing, Alz+. 

Iris

Doityourselfer
Posted: Friday, June 7, 2019 4:50 PM

His neurologist did not recommend CBD oil, but I purchased a couple of bottles.  I add it to his coffee in the morning.  Cannabis helps at times.
alz+
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 10:47 AM

DoItYourSelfer - the big legal states have home delivery if you are using cannabis and cbd oil to help him.  I am staying where there are plenty of dispensaries so easy for me to get ride over, and like that all the products have gone thru testing for strength and quality. The dispensaries usually have a cbd oil that will give a great night's sleep, also bakery items - a half cookie and 2 hours later in dreamland. There is no hangover.

"WHAT IS CBD OIL?

Like hemp oil, CBD oil is extracted from hemp, but from the whole plant, not from the seeds, and unlike hemp seed oil, CBD oil expressly contains medicinal CBD.  The cannabinoid CBD won’t get you “high” like THC will, but it has a number of medicinal uses from treating severe seizure disorders to reducing anxiety.

I am still using cbd from dispensary 3 times a day IF I remember. 

Doityourselfer
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 2:32 PM

Recreational marijuana is not legal yet in New York.  We ride to a Massachusetts dispensary to purchase the flower and gummies.  

Bakery items are a great idea. This particular dispensary doesn't sell baked goods nor CBD oil.  I've ordered the CBD from a place in Vermont.  Now there are a few local shops around selling it.

mostlyme
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2019 12:28 PM

Just a note for those wanting to supplement B12 - be mindful of the form.  

There is an emerging science called Nutrigenomics which is a personalized look at your DNA and how it affects your body's nutrition needs.  Many people have an issue with the MTHFR gene.  This relates directly to vitamin B12.  If someone with an issue takes the synthetic form of vitamin B12, their bodies cannot  convert it to the active form.  This causes several issues and it would actually be better for them to not have taken any B12 at all.  It will prevent the natural form from food from being absorbed.

You can google Nutrigenomics or MTHFR for more info.

This article will shed some light on the different forms:

https://mthfrsupport.com.au/2016/09/step-2-in-mthfr-support-how-to-choose-the-right-b12-for-you/