RSS Feed Print
list names of prescription meds that helped panic anxiety etc
alz+
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2019 10:31 AM

I have had bad reactions to Aricept and Namenda and about 12 other non alz medications.

Have appointment with a new doctor next Tuesday to ask for medication to make me "mellow" and easy to be around. If anyone has taken prescription that helped them (or the person they care for) could you post drug name here please?

I recall Gabapentin made me super energized but without cognitive power to handle the energy so haven't taken it in years.

*The goal is stop having moments of panic, stop taking offence to things said, to become tolerant of living with little activity or companionship.

I have been using thc cbd oil to sleep and pain and it works but won't be able to instruct my CGvr when to buy more, what kind, when to give drops etc.

would greatly appreciate it 

Have a good holiday!

alz+
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2019 10:33 AM

I am terrified of these drugs:

Antipsychotic medications for hallucinations, delusions, aggression, agitation, hostility and uncooperativeness:
  • aripiprazole (Abilify)
  • clozapine (Clozaril)
  • haloperidol (Haldol)
  • olanzapine (Zyprexa)
  • quetiapine (Seroquel)
  • risperidone (Risperdal)
  • ziprasidone (Geodon)
 these I know nothing about:

Some medications commonly used to treat behavioral and psychiatric symptoms of Alzheimer's disease, listed in alphabetical order by generic name, include the following:

Antidepressants for low mood and irritability:

• citalopram (Celexa)
  • fluoxetine (Prozac)
  • paroxeine (Paxil)
  • sertraline (Zoloft)
  • trazodone (Desyrel)

Anxiolytics for anxiety, restlessness, verbally disruptive behavior and resistance:

• lorazepam (Ativan)
  • oxazepam (Serax)

dayn2nite2
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2019 10:37 AM

You are trying to control this.  Stop trying to do that.  Your doctor will meet with you and determine what might work.  Then you will try it.

You have very unusual comments to make about medications in general and it is very obvious you do not believe they help you and instead turn to vitamins and supplements.

You are not in a position to bargain or make demands if you want to continue to live where you are living.

You perceive your demands as "requests" and think everyone should do what you are requesting.

Your family is perceiving you as being agitated and hostile.  

If you do not want to take medications at this time then perhaps you need to work with your daughter to find another place to live that works with the way you want to live.

I will caution you that if you are uncooperative about taking medication you may find yourself in a hospital on an involuntary basis.  Your family is attempting to work COOPERATIVELY with you by allowing you to see an outpatient psychiatrist.

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2019 11:11 AM

You are trying to stay in control and I applaud that to a point. The goal must be to make you comfortable and some med might just do that. 

Before a discussion on drugs it is important to know what your actual diagnosis is and was it made following current protocol.

There are many kinds of dementia as you know and what is right for one kind may not be for another.

alz+
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2019 11:15 AM

day2night

do you hate me in particular?

your callousness and insults are abusive, you must have a reason.

if I wronged you please send me a private message and get it off your chest. 

sick of you undermining me. stop it.

dayn2nite2
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2019 11:35 AM

alz+ wrote:

day2night

do you hate me in particular?

your callousness and insults are abusive, you must have a reason.

if I wronged you please send me a private message and get it off your chest. 

sick of you undermining me. stop it.

Nobody is undermining you.  I don’t know who you are or where you are.  You are misjudging the purpose of my posts.  They are not “abusive” in any way.  You don’t like them and that’s fine.  Don’t put out there that you are being abused because you disagree with the content.

None of my posts contain insults toward you.  You choose to view information you don’t agree with as an “insult.”

I am trying to make you understand that insisting on doing it your way will probably end up much worse than your day-to-day life today.   

alz+
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2019 11:55 AM

day 2night

the doctor is booked up, I am seeing a new young nurse practitioner. Thought I might get tips on drugs that are not contraindicated for ALZ.

Other doctors have responded well to suggestions, helps them explain why that won't work or stuff.

Yes, your tone is nasty. Cold hearted. Not helpful.

Unforgiven
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2019 1:01 PM

Aggghhh, Gabapentin.  It made me mentally foggy, not at all energetic, and didn't help with pain.  You seem to react differently, so my advice may be flawed.

I am currently taking duloxetine ( the poor man's Cymbalta) without the emotional instability it caused in my mother.  Energy level is normal, sleep is not quite as good as when on Paxil.  A psychiatric Nurse Practitioner has also prescribed me Lorazepam as needed, rather than prophylactically, so I have to limit my use to really stressful situations.  When I do use it, I am much more able to not take offense and to let things roll off.  But that's me.  I never met a calmative that didn't make me feel better.  So that tells me I am, and have always been, a huge bundle of nerves.  Your body may react much differently.

This will be a trial and error process, but I'm lucky enough not to fear pharmaceuticals.  What are they, really, but more targeted versions of what one might find in nature?  Natural supplements have their own side-effects and interactions, but they are not required to tell you what those might be.

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2019 1:17 PM

There are only two drugs approved by the FDA for AD treatment. Aricept and Namenda.

The most commonly discussed drug here is Seroquel. My husband used it daily. It was helpful. He, however did not have AD. He went MCI>Parkinson's> LBD. 

/www.nia.nih.gov/health/how-alzheimers-disease-treated.

alz+
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2019 1:38 PM

I do have unusual reactions to a lot of drugs. paradoxical?

also permanent damage from when I sought help for distress and was told mental illness, a daily reminder.

(6.4 earthquake where my son lives in southern california)

looking back on this post and past weeks posts I am learning to see the decline and now this morning my Dark Sense of Humor came surging back. 

sitting on front porch with 2 dogs sleeping, beautiful day, feeling stronger to face whatever comes and open (thanks to your help here!) to taking something that works.

I'm thinking, "yeah, a medicine that eliminates anger, trying to control thing, anxiety, panic, insomnia, not cooperative..." Like we wouldn't all know it if it existed?! Ha ha ha! I laughed so hard the dogs woke up, almost wet my pants! Everyone would be giving it to everyone!

so I understand - maybe? - I do a lot of things that are inappropriate, it was a reason I withdrew from being around others, even going to a thrift shop.

there must be so many ways I behave in ways people can't comprehend and my ability to cooperate  has diminished maybe from survival living all winter. I need more than a month to adjust to this.

also good news: I have a dark sense of humor suited to few. everyone who shared that humor is dead. I was bursting with a quip, laughing so hard, no one to share it with. not suitable for public board! then I thought about my daughter...

sent her email, she laughed so hard she had to leave the sale of my belongings.

this all happened after I was upset an hour ago and hadn't taken cbd oil, the night oil was closer so I took that. It has THC in it. Coincidentally? I immediately forgot about what was bugging me and relaxed, was happy to be here alone. 

OMG. I never took it in daytime, only the CBD, to "not be altered". OMG

best 4th of July ever

still appreciate knowing what worked for different people (also just typed this almost normally, have been struggling for days) OMG

love and courage

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2019 2:30 PM

II believe there  are 4 drugs for ad but none will work for what you are looking for. Talk  to  the doctor  and they may offer you anti aneity medication.  Don't pay attention to those here trying to aggravate you. You are right.
Unforgiven
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2019 3:48 PM

Alz, when you speak of a drug that controls anger, anxiety, lack of cooperation, etc. you are describing the symptoms of low serotonin.  SSRI anti-depressants help with that a lot.  Clinical depression technically IS a mental illness, so don't dismiss the idea because of the stigma.

But really, anything that immediate fight or flight reaction we get when we feel challenged will help.  As a friendly observation, reading your recent posts, you sound a lot like me around the time my mother was diagnosed, right before I gave up and went back on Paxil.  Easily upset, miserable, touchy.  I know I was not a joy to live with, because I was at the end of my rope.  On the proper meds, I'm still me, just a better version of me.

Here's a bit of dark humor for you.  We all know of a drug that will work on all of the above symptoms.  It's called opium.  It just isn't a legal option. 

Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2019 10:06 AM

THC can help with anxiety.

Safety and Efficacy of Medical Cannabis Oil for Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia: An-Open Label, Add-On, Pilot Study.

Ten patients completed the trial. Significant reduction in CGI [Clinical Global Imperssion] severity score (6.5 to 5.7; p <  0.01) and NPI [[Neuropsychiatric Inventory] score were recorded (44.4 to 12.8; p <  0.01). NPI domains of significant decrease were: Delusions, agitation/aggression, irritability, apathy, sleep and caregiver distress.

Someone needs to understand that the regular taking of this medication is important for your well-being.

Lavender, rose, lemon balm, sweet orange, and patchouli essential oils via aromatherapy can help with mild anxiety.

Feru-guard (ferulic acid in rice bran oil and angelica archangelica) looks very promising for dealing with a variety of behavioral issues.  It is now being tested in the United States, but perhaps your doctor can see about getting it from Japan.

Effect of ferulic acid and Angelica archangelica extract on behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia in frontotemporal lobar degeneration and dementia with Lewy bodies.

RESULTS:

Treatment with Feru-guard led to decreased scores on the Neuropsychiatric Inventory in 19 of 20 patients and significantly decreased the score overall. The treatment also led to significantly reduced subscale scores on the Neuropsychiatric Inventory ("delusions", "hallucinations", "agitation/aggression", "anxiety", "apathy/indifference", "irritability/lability" and "aberrant behavior"). There were no adverse effects or significant changes in physical findings or laboratory data.

CONCLUSION:

Feru-guard may be effective and valuable for treating the behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia in frontotemporal lobar degeneration and dementia with Lewy bodies.

Similar results were attained for people with Alzheimer's disease.

https://www.alzheimersanddementia.com/article/S1552-5260(10)01948-5/fulltext

Antipyschotics are too widely prescribed for dementia patients, sometimes with damaging or even deadly side effects.  The excuse is there are no alternatives, but there are likely far better and far safer alternatives.

Always wishing you the best, alz+.

llee08032
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2019 11:00 AM

Persisting that a person with AD has no right or say in their care when there are clearly contraindications for certain medications rings of stigma. It's not person centered care or evidenced based practice or care. It's human nature to want to have some locus of control over an illness. I see it as a sign of health that a person with AD wants to exercise they're rights and have a locus of control and say. Furthermore, persisting on giving a one-way only opinion when it is known that the receiver's perception of the opinion will cause more harm than good is troubling. We are here to suggest and support not to condemn and provoke. Most importantly, we are also here to empower one another. When one cannot say something in kindness and compassion the intention is questionable and could be indicative of pathology on the part of that person such as a personality disorder. We've certainly had these types of problems in the past on this board which I'm sure some can recall? It would be really sad to see this happen again. 
alz+
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2019 11:11 AM

Unforgiven - my missing sister! really on the opium. End of life drugs started at time of diagnosis? appreciate your comments all the time, we share similar experiences. 

love you.

Yesterday I took night time thc cbd oil during day cause too tired to get out of bed to get plain cbd, everything lightened up. That was when my brain started streaming inspiration, felt good.  later asked myself "hey what happened to the fear?" realized I used the night time oil. could that help that much?

A dear friend I had asked about medications she had used for her partner wrote to me later in day that after years of struggle and many doctors to find relief from the crushing sorrow and misery in her partner with dementia, they found THC solved almost all the issues and partner regained interest in life, with zero bad side effects, with accumulating gains.  

Maybe adding thc to morning will give my family and me the results we hope for, for me it is reduction of FEAR, to them it is Being Happier With What Is.

Reminder this is not hemp oil sold on internet. The dispensary I like delivers now for FREE. I can order 3 bottles and be set until winter. what optimism!

can I speak to the controlling issue?

I have lived alone most of my life. I have always been extra responsible, I'm the one who shows up when someone has a stroke or when my Dad had ALZ. I'm the one who buys extra supplies for those who will need them in hurricanes and quakes. I'm the one who saved my own life a few times while left me to "sleep it off" post surgical infection and again near death from pneumonia. I have been permanently harmed by bad prescriptions, left with a tongue that moves 24 hours a day and wear mouthguard to stop my tongue from being raked bloody by my teeth. 

Been told I was too "demanding" over my life usually by people who were never going to help. I just survived a brutal winter alone, sometimes snowed into house, vigilant 24 hours a day waiting for my daughter to come and get me. To expect me to be docile and adjusted already isn't realistic. 

How harmful is it to ask if my dog's medications are given following instructions from vet? Does that question offend so much I should be yelled at? To notice a plug has burn marks and should be replaced? To beg to have boxes of clutter moved from bottom of stairways? 

Add PTSD  - hypervigilance from assaults, maybe standing up to people who dog me is a personal triumph. To tell someone to "knock it off" is wonderful. About time.

I am a survivor. Not ashamed of what I have done to survive. 

about controlling doctor visit - hospital gave my mother post stroke 2 prescriptions, lethal when mixed. I asked pharmacist for safety of drug combos, he said "whoa, no comdining these 2 meds" called hospital and got them changed. Now I am with someone who has no clue about my drug reactions or how my illness works or what helps and I am supposed to let him run the visit to doctor (nurse practitioner)? Let him tell his version without comment? Would any of you cooperate with demands you do or take something you know would harm you? 

My cardiologist asked if I was "doing something new" last visit because no panic attacks, no ventricular dead spots. When i told him I started CBD oil he got a big smile and, "Thanks for telling me. I have more patients every week doing better on that stuff."

The B12 thing, none of ex husband's doctors caught that. No doctor told Habib that anemia correlated with B12 loss. Everyone learned. I found it stopped me wetting my pants, no doctor knew that was possible remedy. Helped me a lot!

A month is not enough time for me to adjust to the rapid changes in my life, not for me or Habib. He told me last night he has been angry (since starting anti-seizure med) with everyone - long before I got here so now I know it is not Just Me. 

Will take thc cbd now and walk my dog, try to find something to ease my loneliness without bothering anyone. I think painting might absorb my attention, like getting lost in rock hunting. Have been planning to paint for 10 years, can not begin, yet.

appreciate all the help everyone has given me. Michael thank you for understanding, again!

thank you for your extreme patience, kindness, inspiration, encouragement.

love and courage

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2019 9:59 PM

Alz+, I had not followed all of your posts about cbd oil, but you seemed to have done better while on it.  It may be that you need a more CONSISTENT dosage.  

I hope you don't mean that Habib will accompany you to the doctor.  Will your daughter be back in town then? 

Iris

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, July 6, 2019 11:29 AM

Loneliness.....hard to live with it. I think we all need someone to look at us in a way that we know that we matter.
ALZConnected Moderator
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2019 11:13 AM

Hello all,

Please accept this post as a reminder of two key criteria from our Guidelines for Participants:

1.  Encourage Civility

ALZConnected invites and encourages a healthy exchange of opinions. If you disagree with a participant’s post or opinion and wish to challenge it, do so with respect. The real objective of the ALZConnected community is to promote discussion and understanding, not to convince others your opinion is “right”. Derogatory messages will not be tolerated. Name calling, insults, personal attacks and discriminatory comments are not appropriate and will not be tolerated. Posts containing any such content will be reported and will be subject to edits, deletions and/or suspension of accounts privilege. 

2. Be supportive 

ALZConnected is very active and its size is one of its strengths. As you post and read messages, please be aware that electronic messages, often written quickly, are easily misconstrued. Given the challenges of online communication, it is usually helpful to assume a positive intent. Please try to keep in mind that the main purpose of this online community is to provide support and education to those affected by Alzheimer’s disease. Members should offer advice directly to the person who initiates the thread. Please respect the opinions of others and do not monopolize the conversation, and recognize that the diverse opinions add richness to the support provided to members.

Thank you,

ALZConnected Moderator Team