RSS Feed Print
I am the first to tell you this disease sucks.
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2020 8:38 AM

But I was just wondering if you feel anything good came from having it? 

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2020 5:23 PM

As you know, I don't have Alzheimer's Disease, but I began having significant memory and cognitive problems in my late 30's.  I had to retire.  During this time I met my husband.  I doubt very much that I would have met him while I was still working.  Unfortunately, my memory loss contributed to marital issues, similar to what we read so much about on these pages.  At the same time, I have become more patient and understanding of people around me with difficulties.

Iris

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2020 8:00 AM

This is some of the good that came from it for me.

• I got the opportunity to travel so much sooner then I ever thought I would and made so many memorable memories for my wife and I that she talks about all the time. It real made her happy.
  • I have gotten to meet the best minds in the world related to dementia
  • I have been a pioneer and will leave a lasting impression for what I have done for this disease and others.
  • I was given the opportunity to come to the rescue of so many and help them just a little on how to deal with this disease
  • I created an army of dementia advocates all over the world including Africa where I have contributed to saving lives
  • I have broken so many records that I am even surprised that I was able to do all this.
  • If it was not for my dementia I would have never had that great boat and still cannot believe it was ever mine.
  • Now we are near to building our dream home and don’t think this would ever have happened and will leave my wife very happy if I should go. And of course she is retire early to be with me.
  • I am spending more money than I would have because I am no longer in control of it
  • I am more patient to others in need or who struggle with mental issues.
  • I was able to do a bucket list and still be around - Ran out of things to do
  • I accomplished the most exciting thing in my life by spending two day in Geneva with all of the ambassadors of the world at the first dementia conference at WHO. I had my own seat and mic and tread like royalty like the others - Does not get any better than that and not sure I can ever top that one
  • I have stared so many dementia programs all over the world that are now running on the own
  • I have gotten many world leaders to take action for the cause and to contribute millions and millions of dollars.
  • I fought against many organizations and governments to change laws
  • It made me appreciate life and what I have
  • Most thankful that I met George Vradenburg from USAgainstAlzheimer’s and so other great people who do so much for this cause with out any reason to get something in return

There are probably a lot more but I think you get the point. 

CEOofEverything
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2020 7:30 AM

I'm thankful for your perspective! And, you are a beautiful writer! Thank you for sharing your gifts on this board.