RSS Feed Print
letting off steam
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2021 4:51 PM
Joined: 9/12/2013
Posts: 3608

I was hospitalized last spring with diverticulitis for 6 days. The pain was so severe I could not move or stand and walked inches by being bent forward. Anyway not allowed to move or eat for 6 days and when I was released I was weak but lots better. 

So I recovered from that and after a month began doing yoga and walking and swam all summer. It came back a couple days ago. I called my doctor and got clinic answering machine. Many tries and messages and finally they told me to call another clinic. I did and got their choice selection in 3 languages, which I could not follow. I kept calling back and trying to punch in a number but phone would end call or then they were closed. If I am going to treat this at home I have to get antibiotics soon and stay in bed and eat soft foods for a week. 

It drove me nuts. I hate phones, can't hear. When I got a person they told me these are zoom visits. I don't want to learn how to do zoom. So I got an appointment for just phone call and then my phone would not recognize caller cause it is private or something so I missed appointment! I called back and got the squeal of a fax machine. The fear built up. 

 fought my phone and theirs for an hour - then really blew up. I stood outside, did deep breaths, they make it hurt more. Finally called the office instead of patient log in and told person what happened. Silence. Sigh. "I'll tell them what happened and we will get back to you tomorrow." 

had prepared for the phone visit all night, did not know how to unblock private calls. So my daughter is super busy and my helper too confused to help and I am in pain in bed with virus raging and hospitals dangerous. Don't know what will happen.  This seems nuts. I have not been upset like this in some time, will not be upset in a week one way or another!

Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2021 7:14 PM
Joined: 9/12/2013
Posts: 3608

part 2

My phone had been set to block certain calls and maybe even had the ring turned off.

I have wondered for months how people left voicemails yet my phone does not ring. Well today that mystery was solved.  I had set it all calls go to voicemail some time long ago.

So there was more phone mistakes back and forth and finally spoke to an NP,  lots of questions, figured out my diet for next week and called in an antibiotic, and NONE of my fears that they would think me incompetent and haul me away and no one would come get me and so on, nothing bad came to pass. It is terribly frightening to me to handle situations over phones.  I work with it as best I can and avoid them when possible. 

I don't remember what was so hard 2 hours ago. I'm grateful. I would like to have a huge part of my life library of memories disappear. One day I was sitting on my front step feeling lost and a neighbor cat came over and I told him I just didn't know what to do. He said, "Do what I'm doing." So I imitated him sitting there looking around, listening - and hours later was relaxed after a good day. I like this part of dementia.

Habib is bringing the prescription to me tomorrow with my dog to visit while he is busy, so that will be a big help.

I forgot how helpful it was to write a rant here and not be scolded.  thank you for being here, I sometimes forget the board exists. Thank you for sharing here.

love and courage

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Friday, January 8, 2021 6:27 AM
Joined: 11/30/2011
Posts: 4324

I hear you and if you need some help you should think about having someone come by and help you once a week. Let me know if you need someone. Remember we only get worse and we really need to think about that wen we get older. You need to insure some one will take care of you. 

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, January 8, 2021 3:17 PM
Joined: 12/15/2011
Posts: 18061

I'm glad you're doing better.  What's going on with your telephone?