RSS Feed Print
Anyone every have a grief response from anesthesia?
dj okay
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 7:28 PM

I had a colonoscopy yesterday.  When I woke from the procedure, I was quite uncomfortable for a couple minutes which eased quite a bit after passing some gas.  Then I got the shivers and was freezing cold all of a shudden. They gave me a warm blanket right away.  Within just a few minutes after waking, I was sobbing for no apparent reason.  Of course, this upset the nurse quite a bit.  She said you have to tell us what's wrong.  All I could say was "I think it's grief."  At least that's what it felt like.  I was embarrassed.  I guess not so much that I was crying but that it was such an unusual place and time to behave like that.

The nurse said it does happen.  I was just wondering if anyone here has had anything like that happen to them.

And I had been thinking I was doing so well....sigh.

dayn2nite
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 9:42 PM

I don't know why the nurse acted like it was so out of the ordinary---the most primitive responses will surface when coming out of anesthesia.

Me?  I scream and yell at people and curse like a sailor.  Once when I was coming out of anesthesia for a GYN procedure I was yelling all the way back to my room that I was bleeding and they needed to give me some pads.  They were so afraid by the time they got me to the room they got a bag of them and threw them on the bed (military hospital).  I proceeded to try to get out of bed but my spinal hadn't worn off yet and I couldn't move my legs, so that made me mad and I ripped the bag open and threw pads all over the place.  Seriously.  So your crying is very, very normal.

Oh, and I wanted to go home too and remember that the doctor came in and talked to me, but I thought he was speaking in German.  The relatives in the room told me later he was speaking plain English and I was out of my mind.

I don't know what they gave me-I know I woke up a couple of times during the surgery too and I started yelling that I was awake and could see my thighs (LOL-I was in stirrups) and they put me under again.

KML
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 10:37 AM

dj:

Colonoscopies are stressful.  I hate drinking that stuff, absolutely makes me gag, and then what follows, very awful. 

Everything that's been happening, your mom's passing, your BIL's health issues and I think also, your husband, it's so much in a short amount of time. 

I think we should be able to be alone for awhile in a nice bed and breakfast place, with gardens and people cooking for us and a peaceful setting for about a week, then maybe we can rest and unwind and not talk to anyone, not have anyone ask us for anything.  We need rest, we've been going at fast speed for so long, we are traumatized and we need rest and peace.  Very hard to get I'm finding.  I think I would do okay if I could just be by myself for awhile, but I haven't been able to swing that.  I don't want to see anyone, I don't want to talk to anyone, I don't want anyone asking anything of me, I don't want to make decisions, I'm just tired. 

Hard to explain the above to people at work  I just want to lay my head down on my desk.  We're pushed to move on, get on, in my opinion way too soon.

I just came back from a vacation, but again, nothing against my husband, but I just don't want to be around anyone.  I simply don't want to talk, to respond to conversation, nada.

On my way to work, there was a backup and it turned out to be a deer that was hit on the road, I cried all the way to work about that poor creature.  It is grief, raw grief.

dayn2nite
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 10:53 AM

KML--the deer-or any animal I see really on the road, I just cry like a baby.  I saw a racoon the other day and I just said "oh honey" and started to cry about it dying alone on the side of the road. 

dj okay
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:53 PM

I guess it is interesting the things that can bring out a grief response.  It just sort of hits you like a bolt of lightning out of nowhere, no clouds, nothing....then WHAM!  That's how I felt after my procedure.  Gee, and here I thought I was doing so well!

KML, I agree.  There are certainly those days when I don't want to do ANYTHING.  I try to give myself some quiet time to just rest, contemplate, just be.  But I have so many things I'd LIKE to do, so I usually end up getting up and starting another task.

My hip that I've been nursing along for months and months (no time for myself, you know), has finally caused me so much pain I made an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow.  I'm hoping he can provide a treatment plan to get me back to where I can do things without pain.  I think the joint is fine (at least the x-ray last winter was), but whatever it is I just can't keep putting up with it.

Johanna C.
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 12:09 AM

Hi dj:   It is not at all unusual for some folks to have crying spells post anesthesia as well as being chilled; it can be a physiological reaction to the drugs used.

Johanna C.

MLB61
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 7:22 AM

Oh dj -- Your experience makes me think that the grief is in there, and it will come out at some point.  I think I am doing okay, and then it hits me.  

Good luck with your hip.  Glad that you are taking care of yourself.

bela
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 3:58 AM

colonoscopy:  each doctor has a different method of having the patient prepare for the procedure.

my neighbor for example had to drink some stuff AND an ensure????? Some people have to drink gallons

I only had to drink one glass.  What the doctor recommended which I want to share with all of you, was to immediately suck on a lime; it killed the taste of that crap.

Why do they make us drink something that tastes so awful?  At walgreens they have a poster, "don't like the taste of your medicine?  We can add flavors."

Why don't they do this with the colonoscopy drink.  Dang.

Lime was my saving grace that day.

bela
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 4:05 AM

Johanna   why does that stuff taste so nasty and why does every doctor have a different way of preparing the patient for the procedure.

The procedure itself was painless and they put me in la la land...i love drifting off to sleep.  

I need the procedure again.  I will alert the doctor of my situation with mom and AD.

I feel just like a previous poster and I use his/her words: 

.  I don't want to see anyone, I don't want to talk to anyone, I don't want anyone asking anything of me, I don't want to make decisions, I'm just tired. 

Oceanbum
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 10:27 AM

I had one about 4 years ago. I remember that stuff - yuck, nasty!! And I do remember the "twilight" as they called it! I couldn't have cared less about anything in the world!! Lol

But now I am worried about the effect of anesthesia. I have a procedure scheduled for Nov. 8th. I am worried about how I'll react when I come out of it. The last time I had anesthesia I just woke up with the most horrendous migraine!! And they wouldn't let me take my migraine meds. I may sneak them in this time!!

KML
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 11:07 AM

bela:

My last colonoscopy was about two years ago and they did offer flavor packets with the stuff this time.  I have a hard time with flavored things too, so I was choking it down and trying to keep it down.  I do have to admit though the flavorings did help though. Yuck to all of it.

Oceanbum
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2012 12:59 PM

I'm thinking they told me to mix it with Sprite or 7-Up. I don't recall it helped a whole lot, though!! Lol
Oceanbum
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 5:29 AM

I had my surgery yesterday - a shoulder scope. i didn,t have any grief issues when I woke up. Nor did I have the horrendous migraine or any nausea or vomiting. it was probably the easiest surgery I have ever had. Including the time I had a mole removed from my stomach and almost passed out! Honestly, I think I know the reason. I went to the cemetery the day before and asked Mom to be with me and hold my hand! I think she did! She always took care of me and I KNOW she did yesterday!