RSS Feed Print
my mom doesn't use computer but needs support. ideas?
hysterical1
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:34 PM

my mom was diagnosed with alzheimers yesterday.  my daddy passed away 18 months ago.  my mom needs support and i keep finding resources for me, the caregiver, but she needs support now, not me.  where do i find resources for her. she doesn't use the computer. we live in raleigh, nc.
Lisa428
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:57 AM

Dear Hysterical1,

Welcome to the alzconnected message boards.  I'm sorry to hear about your Mom's diagnosis but I am glad you've found us.

First, I would ask to to call our 24/7 toll free Help line @800-272-3900.

It is a national help line but they can help you get connected to your local AD Assn.

Hopefully, there will be support groups for your Mom and you as well.

I don't know what age or stage your Mom is in but there is Adult Daycare where people go to send the day and do lots of fun things including being social.

Both of you will need help coping and understanding this illness.

Welcome to OUR family.  You are NOT alone.  We are here.

Peace and Hope,

Lisa

Mimi S.
Posted: Friday, November 2, 2012 10:08 AM

Hi,

Welcome to our world. There is a special thread for Caregivers. Go to Message Boards, above and click on caregivers.

Also, please go to Alzheimer's Navigator, below. There is much there to help you.

First take a big breath. I wear a bracelet that reads: A Reason for Hope.

There is much you can do to make this journey easier. And likewise there is also much you can't do. There are things you can do to slow down the speed of progression. There are many things you can do to make life more pleasant.

As yet, no one has found a cure. So, as of now, the disease will run it's course.

Education is power. Read everything you can. Since the diagnosis is so new, I'd advise asking your library for a copy of: The Alzheimer's Action Plan by Doraiswamy and Gwyther of Duke University.

Much ;love to you both.

Lisa428
Posted: Sunday, November 4, 2012 11:30 AM

Dear Hysterical1,

Did you ever post on the "Caregiver's Forum?"  There are lots of wonderful people there to help you.

Please, post there ASAP!

Thinking of you.

Peace and Hope,

Lisa