RSS Feed Print
Update
Myriam
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 7:47 PM

Hi, all. Just wanted to give you an update. As you may recall, I had back surgery on 10/10. Recovery did not go well and have had a major set back. It appears damage to some nerves in my back occurred during surgery. The pain is excruciating hovering around 8 or 9 in a 1 through 10 range. I have been struggling, but hoping for improvement. Good part is I'm down to 118 lbs. Hopefully, I can keep it there.

Another great thing is that the surgery did not affect my cognition. I'm still hovering between stages 2 an 3, though closer to 3.

I miss being on this board. Will try to come back soon.

Myriam

Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:13 PM

Myriam, I am so sorry to hear about your problems. I just hope they can figure out how to get rid of the pain for you.

I'm sure 118 #s would be great. Boy I haven't seen that figure for many a year. And I'm not sure I want to lose the way you did. I just need to stop eating the leftover Halloween candy!

Lisa428
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 9:56 PM

Dear Myrium,

It's good to hear from you.  I was wondering how you were doing.

I'm so sorry to hear about the terrible pain in your back.  Nerve pain is the worst!!

Are the doctors giving you something good for the pain?  Is it helping at all??

Do you have someone to help you?  Does ice or heat help at all?

I'm sorry to ask so many questions.

Please, take care of your self.

Please, update us as you can.

Thinking of you.

Peace&Hope,

Lisa

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, November 7, 2012 2:33 AM

Feel better soon, Myriam!

I have back pain too so I know how you must be struggling just to live through each moment.

When you are approved by your back surgeon, consider warm water therapy.  Just floating on my back--not swimming, just floating--helped me a great deal with back pain.

It's also important to get enough restorative sleep.

Keep your spirits up, Myriam!  Come back to us when you can!

Get Well

Iris L.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:43 AM

I have been thinking about you.  I wish the news was much better.  I hope there is some effective short-term pain relief that will help (traditional and/or alternative treatment--good suggestion from Iris).   I am glad that your cognition has not worsened.  Most of all hoping that you are able to heal.   
KML
Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2012 5:13 AM

Hi Myriam:

I've been missing seeing your posts and I didn't realize you were having back surgery.  I am sorry to hear that you are having pain and I hope your doctor can find a resolution for you.  Maybe acupuncture might be an option.  I don't know much about it, but have heard people use it to control pain.

I will keep good thoughts and prayers that you will be feeling a lot better soon.  Take good care.

Michigan_Guy777
Posted: Friday, November 9, 2012 12:58 PM

Hi Myriam,

I wish you a "Refua Shelama." That is Hebrew for a "Compleat Recovery."

Be Well,

Marty

John50
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 1:17 AM

That sounds like NO fun at all Myriam! Take care and I hope you are much better soon! I am sorry you have to go through these unfortunate problems from the surgery. Take care and we'll see you whenever you feel up to getting back on here.
Lisa428
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:43 PM

Myriam,

We miss you.

Hope you are feeling better.

Thinking of you!

Peace and Hope,

Lisa

Myriam
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 10:57 PM

I'm back! Turned out I needed a second back surgery, which occurred on 11/12!!!! This is the first time I've been able to log onto AlzConnected. Thank you all so much for your good thoughts. I'm still struggling with lots of pain, particularly the kind that runs down my right leg and leaves my foot numb. But I see a smidgen of improvement every day and my spirit is beginning to improve. Am finally beginning to wean myself off of pain meds. Feel so fortunate that the anesthesia did not affect my cognition to any measurable degree.
Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 11:04 PM

Welcome back, Myriam!  Glad that you are finally seeing some improvement and that the anesthesia did not negatively affect your cognition much.  We have missed you.   
Iris L.
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 12:27 AM

Welcome back, Myriam!  Wow, two back surgeries!  Slowly but surely you'll be healing. 

I didn't have back surgery but I did have major abdominal surgery.  I took lots of vitamin C afterward to aid in wound healing. 

We missed you so much!   I want you to take your time recuperating, so don't exert yourself.  But log in whenever you feel up to it. 

Do you work from a laptop?  Can you log in in bed?  I still use a desktop--I'm old school.

Are you getting physical therapy yet or is it too soon?

Can you walk unaided?  with a cane?  I used a cane for a year. I felt bad about using it but I needed it and it helped me get around, so I carried it proudly.

There are beautiful, even feminine canes nowadays.  Mine was the old serviceable model.  Fortunately I can get along without is now.  I gave it to my neighbor who needed one.

See you back here soon, Myriam! 

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 8:55 AM

Hi Myriam,

Welcome back.

The pain you describe sounds like sciatica. And that was the reason for my bad back. I had a wonderful treatment that did not require surgery. Can't remember the name, but essentially they took meat tenderizer and injected it into that stuff oozing from the spine. That suff hits the leg nerves and causes the very bad pain. The meat tenderizer dissolved the stuff. It worked on myself and many others. But it was outlawed because the success rate was no better than that with major invasive surgery!

There was a major risk for side effects immediately after surgery and boy, was I watched carefully!

Are you doing any back exercises yet?

Do what you have to. 

Lisa428
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 12:01 PM

Hey Myriam,

It's great to have you back!!

Wow, 2 back surgeries, you are a trooper!

Wishing you a good, smooth recovery!

Please, keep us posted.

Lisa

Peace and Hope,