RSS Feed Print
Caffeine or no caffeine?
Sasue
Posted: Monday, April 1, 2013 7:05 PM

I've decaffeinated my DH because of his sleeping problems but he seems so sleepy during the day. If I give him some caffeine (coffee) in the morning maybe he'd stay awake and more alert during the day and sleep better at night. Any suggestions?
dnartist
Posted: Monday, April 1, 2013 7:15 PM

We haven't drank caffeine in 5 years, the drowsiness maybe part of the dementia, I suggest you talk to his doctor about the sleep problems.  It could also be a UTI, the doctor may suggest he be checked for one.  My DH has started having more trouble sleeping at night, I'm going to tell his PCP to see if they might want him to come in for lab work.  Good luck
Sasue
Posted: Monday, April 1, 2013 7:19 PM

I used a home test strip, no UTI
socwkr
Posted: Monday, April 1, 2013 8:27 PM

Hi, Sasue.  My husband is in a nursing home and the entire place is caffeine free, even the soda. 

I remember when he was at home back in December and he was very tired, very sleepy during the day.  Now, at the nursing home, he's awake all day.  It really is such a huge difference to be honest.  The facility felt that dosage on two of his psychiatric medications were too high.  I was really anxious about lowering the dosage because I remember how horrid the delusions and hallucinations were prior to the medication.  Plus the anxiety, wow!   However, I found that with the lower dosages, he was still fairly cooperative and more awake during the day.  I learned that sometimes there are times when the medication needs to be increased but it's worth evaluating every few months to see if the medication needs to be lowered. 

Also, if appropriate, is your husband in day care?  Sometimes having something to do, something to look forward to each day, keeps us involved and awake.  Even if it's just a few hours perhaps once or twice a week.  I couldn't entertain my husband all day so the dancing, music, lunch, and conversation at day care really helped.  They kept him awake during the day and he was exhausted (in a good way) and slept all night.

Best wishes!

Sasue
Posted: Tuesday, April 2, 2013 10:46 AM

socwkr, 

I know you are right about the activities, I'm looking into that. There aren't too many options in this area.

Also his colostomy is an issue they may not accept. I need to check it out.

Be Strong 2
Posted: Tuesday, April 2, 2013 10:50 AM

At my wife's MCH there don't seem to be any hard and fast rules about caffeine.  During the day they seem to have both caffeinated and decaf coffee available but I have noticed that around 3 PM the new pot always seems to be decaf.

I have heard the staff say that certain residents are decaf only.  

Funny thing, my wife is not much of a coffee drinker but always wants a sip of the coffee that I bring in.  She seems to be fascinated by the McD's cup with the writing on it.  She reads words, and parrots words from the radio but that is fodder for another discussion.

Remember, we're all in the same boat; and the darn thing leaks!

Bob  

Myriam
Posted: Tuesday, April 2, 2013 4:18 PM

Drinking three cups of coffee per day may help turn the tide against Alzheimer's disease among older adults who are already showing signs of memory problems, according to a study. But I believe the study did not include persons in the late stages.  

Here are a couple of articles on the study:   

http://hscweb3.hsc.usf.edu/health/now/?p=19816 

http://www.webmd.com/alzheimers/news/20120607/coffee-may-help-turn-tide-on-alzheimers-disease  

Sasue
Posted: Tuesday, April 2, 2013 4:57 PM

Thanks for the link, interesting reading.

Sandy

SunnyCA
Posted: Tuesday, April 2, 2013 7:01 PM

Several earlier studies found that to be true in women ... but not men.
Be Strong 2
Posted: Thursday, April 4, 2013 4:25 PM

SunnyCA wrote:
Several earlier studies found that to be true in women ... but not men.
That's not fair.  It's a good thing I drink coffee because I like it!

Remember, we're all in the same boat; and the darn thing leaks!

Bob  

SunnyCA
Posted: Thursday, April 4, 2013 6:42 PM

Oh, now, that's just with relation to slowing down AD.  There's more and more research that coffee is actually good for you, reducing the risk of stroke (and thereby vascular dementia), cancer, and diabetes.

http://stroke.ahajournals.org/content/early/2013/03/14/STROKEAHA.111.677500.full.pdf

So you can go back to feeling self-righteous about your healthy diet, Bob.  LOL

pdrer
Posted: Thursday, April 4, 2013 6:47 PM

It is funny....my DH always drank coffee in the morning but after his stroke he just quit drinking it.  He drinks a lot of diet coke......I probably should change those to decaf.  He sleeps very little at night but I am not sure if it has anything to do with caffeine.
LittleVolcano
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 5:54 PM

I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to update some of the research, which is now leaning towards that caffeine might exacerbate behavioral problems in people who already have Alzheimer's (as opposed to protecting those who don't). Here's one article: https://www.alzinfo.org/articles/prevention/should-alzheimers-patients-drink-coffee/

The study was on mice, but I found it because I'm looking into transitioning my mother to decaf because (1) she's an anxious person in general (even before AD), and (2) she seems to be worse in the morning and I'm wondering if her coffee is the culprit (it's like jet fuel. I have to cut it half with water when I visit).