RSS Feed Print
4:30 am left him in the hospital after he accidentally took meds
Lesley Jean
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 4:23 AM
Joined: 2/13/2013
Posts: 2965

We,had a wonderful night, last night.  I will tell you about it in the morning.

  Our bed time routine was off.  We got on our pj's, went into the bathroom and I poured his meds.  As I finished, I had to go pee so bad. I told Jerry he could take his pills in the lid of the med. cap, where I always put them. (This way I can count them and double check he has all 9 pills).  As I ran into the toilet closet, I told him to wait.  As I was peeing, he said that he took them.  A terrible feeling came over me.  When I got out of the toilet closet and opened the door, I saw he had taken all of his seroquel, not his nightly meds. There was about 6 whole pills in there.

I called poison control. At first they said to watch him and they would call me at 2am to check on him. 

They called back about 2mins later to say take him directly to the hospital.  They called ahead to let the hospital know what happened. 

The doctor decided to admit him

For observation.  He is so out of it. When I left he said to go home and have a good night.  That is not like him.he never wants me to leave. 

The RN said he be there for a day or two for them to ensure it is out of his system completely. 

Going to get a couple hours of sleep.  Or at least I am going to try. 


Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 5:08 AM
Joined: 5/14/2012
Posts: 492

Rich has never taken that many pills, but he will take them over again if I don't watch him like a hawk, he would forget what he had taken, so he would start over again. Now I keep them in a lock box and only put out what he is allowed to take, I make sure I am setting there with him and watch him as he takes them. He has COPD and has to use two different inhalors and use his breathing machine, if I am not right there he will use the inhalors over and over again. During the day he will start complaining that he can't breath and needs his pills, so I get in the lock box and get out a bottle of candy pills and give him a couple, then lock them back up. He always feels much better afterwards. I never put out his meds unless I know I will be able to set there with him and watch him. I have Crones and sometimes I can't wait, when I have to go, I have to go, so I just grab the inhalors and take them along with me. It's more work, but a lot less scary than not knowing what they have taken.

But since your LO is going to be ok, just think of this as a couple of days of respite, and don't feel bad, it wasn't your fault, we can't be every where and watch them every second, no matter how much we try. May God watch over you both and keep you safe in His loving arms      Peg

Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 5:11 AM
Joined: 10/30/2012
Posts: 271

What a scare!!  I'm so sorry.  I hope you got some sleep.  I hope you can enjoy the break while he's in the hspital.
Don't feel bad about this, it happened to me with dh's thyroid med.  The dr gave me a talking to, that I had to take charge of the pills....easier said than done, since you never know what they re going to do.

Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 6:13 AM
Joined: 1/12/2012
Posts: 1432

I'm glad poison control was on top of things for you- how scary !!  I hope your DH is okay  - and that you were able to get some rest ......  



Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 8:51 AM
Joined: 12/31/2013
Posts: 1347

I'm also glad pc was alerted to the situation. Girl you have been through it this week, try to rest while he is in the hospital. Sending love and Hugs your way
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 11:24 AM
Joined: 7/30/2013
Posts: 6034

l am so sorry that this happened. What a nightmare! Time to keep all meds locked up, even non-prescription ones. I hope he'll be okay. 

I have a pill minder for my DH. I fill it up a week in advance. There are morning and nightime pills. So far, so good, but if hubby ever gets confused about it, I will lock everything up and just give them to him myself twice a day.  

Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 11:33 AM
Joined: 12/18/2011
Posts: 12876

Hi Lesley Jean,


How scary - I know that feeling.  It wasn't your fault - who would have thought he'd have taken the ones in the bottle.   You just never know what they're going to do - guess they don't either.   I'm glad you called Poison Control and they gave good advice.


I bet you didn't sleep much but maybe you will today.  Do take this as a couple of days respite.   I have Ray's pills in a two week pill organizer.  The other day I caught him with it.  I had it hidden in the top of the cabinet and he found it.  He had taken the whole top row of mornings meds out (even the covers were gone and I haven't found that yet).  I wasn't too worried though that he'd taken them because I have to prompt and prompt him to take pills.  I found some of them behind the stove.  I now have it hidden in the oven with the things I use to take his BS.  I have two little baskets, one for am and one for pm with his meds in it (I use those to fill the pill organizers) hidden under a chest in the sunroom.  His extra bottles of pills are in boxes under another chest.  I've hidden his inhalers in a locked tool chest (not locked though).  He had even started getting into the medicines for the dogs and cats.   Nothing in the world is safe from a person with dementia if they're still able to get around and meddle.


This is just a reminder for all of us.  Don't feel bad about it - he's okay now and you'll get a couple of days of good rest.  Please take advantage of it.

Lesley Jean
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 11:39 AM
Joined: 2/13/2013
Posts: 2965

Thanks for your support. He is fine and home. The dr said he was trying to get out of bed, wrestling with CNA's to get up and go home.  She felt he is to of danger so he is home and happy. 

Pills will be locked up! 

What a scare! 

Thanks again, 


Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 12:33 PM
Joined: 12/4/2011
Posts: 19631

LJ.....ask someone for a bunch of pill cups. They work well and the pill bottles are in a safe place. No more pill organizers here!!!
Mama Sue
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 6:59 PM
Joined: 10/23/2012
Posts: 886

  What a frightening event.  Glad it's all over and he's safely home.
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 7:24 PM
Joined: 11/3/2012
Posts: 2239

What a scary thing to happen.  Glad all worked out well and he is home and happy.  Thank God we have this place to tell our stories.  They all remind us of what some of the unknown dangers can be.  Thanks for sharing.
Grandma J
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2014 10:31 PM
Joined: 12/8/2013
Posts: 319

Dear Friend,
Wow!  You have had your share of stuff to deal with and yet you continue to help and cheer others here on our message board.  It just shows everyone how truly compassionate you are. You are doing excellent at your full time job as a caregiver.
Make sure you take care of yourself too.