RSS Feed Print
Alone with Myself, Someone I Have not Had to Spend Time With
sharon11daugherty
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2015 8:39 PM

I thought this might be a good place for me to share what has been happening to me on my Alzheimer Journey. As a nurse for most of my life, I have had varied jobs. I have always worked  along side my husband, he at his job and me at mine. We have raised several families so our home has always been full. We currently have two adult children at home.

I stopped working a couple of months ago when I felt like my husband was quickly going through the stages faster than I could handle each one. His conversation has slowly decreased to a sentence every 5 hours,. Mostly keeping to himself now. Resting is his activity of choice.          This brings me to this thread...I am a talker, I need people. I love people. I love to please. I love to be validated in my home and work. I am a middle child which to me means that I get along with people older and younger and I love company. I do not like to be a leader, but I delegate real well.  Alone? never.   So here I am all day alone....I need to be here....I have many things I can do...some I should....some I can put off.... Everyday is a new adventure. I put out a bird feeder so I could watch them....so far, only the crows come for the crumbs I put out because no one else will visit my bird wonderland. 

Life is so different than ever before. Nothing I have to do. No one I need to do for,No place to go or be. Days go by and the phone never rings. I really don't want to call anyone either. My husband used to be demanding and perfection about everything. Now there are no demands and nothing has to be done or changed. Meals are all he requires and his pills. He is  happy to sit beside me. I can type or read in my new position. If I get up he does like to know where I am headed, usually kitchen or bathroom. short destinations.  

I am daily spending the first hour with God as I get my groove for the day,.  I currently am reading short writings by Charles Spurgeon, he was a pastor in the  1800's.    I love stories about people.  I have been writing notes more than usual to older friends.  All these things I am sharing as I try to figure out who am I? What do I like to do? What used to be my dreams? What dreams might I still have? My life is on hold....and yet I am free er than I have ever been in my life. What is that called.  \?    Well, I will close for now. Tomorrow will be another free day.  Blessings to whoever might read this. 

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2015 7:07 PM

Keep musing, Sharon. It helps you cope. With life. In joyous and wonderful ways. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 5:32 AM

You are allowing me to catch a wonderful glimpse of a fantastic and decent human being, dear Sharon. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. You really do care. A true care-giver in every sense of the word. Keep caring. About life. Forever and ever. How refreshing. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 4:03 PM

Please tell me, dear Sharon, how it came about that you've raised several families. Sounds to me like you are an amazing wonder woman. With many, many skills and attributes. And that you are in love with life. Despite once toying with suicide. I consider myself blessed. Because you have decided to come to Musings. Sharon Daugherty. Are you of Irish ancestry? Or is it you've been lucky to marry an Irishman? Feed me morsels about yourself. I suspect that even the crumbs are tasty. A delicacy. Already, I know that you are delightful. --Jim
sharon11daugherty
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 6:04 PM

How sweet you are!     I am Irish and English, Benedict was my maiden name. I have been in love with and married to an Irishman for 43 years. His family settled in Kentucky so we have many of the Southern ways leaning in our lives. My family came from Ohio but settled in California about 80 years ago. I was raised by a single mom after my dad left to seek his fortune. There were my 2 sisters and myself. We had a great life in San Francisco. We were poor but we all learned early that we could iron, babysit and have what we needed.

I always wanted to have the perfect family. I believe ten children was the number I said I wanted. My mom always laughed knowing how hard she  had to work to support us. I just watched Leave it to Beaver, and Father Knows and dreamed of what my life was going to be like.  I was the first high schooler to work at the phone company part time while going to school. I went to school from 8 to 12 and worked from 1 to 5pm.  I loved it, downtown San Francisco,,,,whoopie.. I always used the great bus system. We never had a car.{ I learned to drive when my son was 5 !}  Working enabled me to move out on my own when my mom remarried, when I was 17. I continued to go to school. I wanted to either teach or nurse. Nursing won out. I loved it.  At this time many usual bad decisions , I smoked just like my mom. ...little did i know she would die at 60 with lung cancer.... I drank Red Mountain Pink Chablis...It was $3.79 a gallon. That lasted me all week. ...My dad showed up every few years...he had been a drinker for so long his memory was shot and he too died when he was 60yrs. Lucky Strike Cigarettes...    

oh , no , are my musings getting boring:?  I hope not I didn't get to the family part yet.  I was just giving the details that I think make me who I am.  I love to work . I have always had attention problems so sitting still is not an easy task. 

Okay, a great decision was to travel when I was 21 to the East to Maryland. My roommate lived their with her family. We ended up moving back there and that was where I met my Michael. He was Rich, he had a car and a business and he was 6'6" , handsome blue eyes and he was Honest. A trait not many I had met had. Well, he loved me from the start, but I thought I was a lot smarter, so we waited awhile before marriage. I met him in December and we married  on April Fools day.       Break time...LO wants dinner.....

sharon11daugherty
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 8:07 PM

I am back....
Okay, back to the 70's. I mentioned my hubby had it business. It was a sewing machine and fabric store. He enjoyed going to NY to the fabric shows, fixing machines and most of all...He loved golf....everyday he would work until 1 and go play golf til 5pm. I quickly quit my job and joined him at the store. I enjoyed the small town feel and we had quite a busy store. My mother had made about everything I ever wore growing up, so  I was pretty handy with a pattern. Our first son was born and I often took him to the store to hang out and give the customers a little extra something to look at.   I put him down for his nap one afternoon and went in to check on him.....He was 3 months old...and he was not alive.

Not exactly my Fathers' Knows Best picture...I was, well you know what I was. CPR seemed hopeless. It was awful. We were at the hospital and of course, we are looked at as if we did something  to cause this . Awful...My husband and I  went back to work after awhile and  everyone would run to the office to see the baby.  Oh, my. 40 times a day I would have to tell some sweet lady what happened. Tears and tears. But I believe it helped me accept things. My wonderful father in law passed away 30 days after my son, he was 52.  Whew. He called me 4 hours before he died and told me he saw Jerusalem on the wall in front of him and it was a City of Gold.      Fast forward a year,  our second son was born. We had closed the store and life was changing . We made a decision to go to California as older bro had taken over dads business and gambled it away, Our 5 acres of land was lost in that Inc. transaction.  I knew I could get a job easy .  We lived in an apt without furniture  for almost a year because we could not afford to send for it. We had a bed, a crib and typing table. My son had no problems getting into things. There were none. The state of Maryland thought we had taken off with the gambled away money. Every week phone calls sent us to an attorney someone had recommend to us from a church we attended. $360,000 was what they wanted. We had $800 and a Vega. The attorney prayed with us and called Maryland and said ..............'do you want their 800 or should I do bankruptcy papers with it?' They accepted the 

$800!  done.....4yrs of calls.  Our first prayer together .  Maybe God was not the punisher that I thought he was.

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 10:39 PM

Wow! Life and love and adventure and never knowing what to expect next. . What a blend. Makes some of us want to live forever. -Jim
sharon11daugherty
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 3:21 PM

About those children.  Our son was 5 when he decided he would like some company. It was then that we decided to foster a 2yr old boy.  That was a little bit of a challenge , because my once perfect 5 year old became a big brot her. There are no lessons for that.  It wasn't long after things settled in that we were asked to take the natural brother of the boy we had fostered the year before. So we had three boys. This was our sweet family. We adopted them soon after. Mom was doing some jail time, I always said she was going to college. Some education huh?   Remember the  10 ?   I had an ongoing relationship with God at this time and I often requested a different stay at home job, and more children.

When the boys were starting their teen years, I found I could quit my hospital job, stay home and foster babies that were deemed medically fragile. Living close to San Francisco, the HIV population was growing at that time. Drug affected infants, shaken babies and burned victims were the group I mostly took care of. I found without my license I could do more nursing care as a mother., than a nurse.  Tube feedings, dressings, IV Ports became pretty usual around the house. Medications and feedings all while the boys were in school was easily accomplished. LO was a good support and helper through this time. We were given respite funds and this is when we would go on sometimes weekend trips all over or longer trips...Luxenbourg. I found it easy to find care while we were away.  Money talks.  As our parents both passed away early in their lives, we wanted to do what we were able if it was on our bucket list. Each of the children, wards of the state due to lack of anyone able to parent them, were eventually adopted after a couple of years with us. When their status was defined as adoptable. Perhaps one of the worst things I ever had to do was go to an Adoption Fair. This is where you stand or sit with your child who is ready for adoption. I felt like I was in a slave market as adults walked by inspecting the children. The older ones mostly boys knew what was going on.  Very sad. The girls were the most desirable at this time. I often found homes for my children myself, using  people that had adopted from me before.  One of my girls that came to me with burns when she was three, we he had kept her a couple years, called me 5 years ago and sent me a ticket to her graduation from college. A highlight for me. She moved in with us for awhile and went on to Columbia Univ for her Masters in Education. Her goal was to teach in Tanzania for a couple of years and return to the states. She just returned last week and will teach at a college in Southern California. I am so pleased with the person she has become. Many of the children have treated us more like grandparents  once they left so  the visits were often summers and vacations. As young adults a few have moved in with us for a time. So wonderful to get to know them as adults. Currently we have 2 young adults with us. Several of the children that were HIV infected we were able to raise ourselves. I only had one little girl that past away when she was 1. It was before the HIV childrens meds were invented. She died of AIDS 3 months after her mother.  Her name was Rebecca. One never wants to forget a child , who to the world , was forgettable.

So that brings me to now. 22 children later, too many all night feedings to ever count. I never kept more than 3 little ones at a time . Which gave us the norm of 6. Sometimes my son will talk of his 14 brothers and sisters, the looks from others are pretty funny. 

Ok Jim, its your turn. Family ?  Best of times and worst of times to write?     History?     What does one say after 80 years of experiences?          I know a little  of your Amore'.  Tell me more. 

Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2015 1:36 PM

When I am fully and truly living in the moment. Those are the best of times. And they could come at any given moment. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2015 1:43 PM

I grew up in a dysfunctional family. And that has helped to make me very functional. And happy, too. Life works in strange and mysterious ways. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2015 1:48 PM

Sometimes, dear Sharon, I find it's best to be of few and pungent words. --Jim
sharon11daugherty
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2015 10:22 PM

Well, Jim I am putting your few words all together to find out about you.

My LO is a few words guy. Even before he became a fewer word person.

Jeanne being your wife that had AD,  What did she enjoy doing? I always am interested because my friends that write for a living are married to music lovers.                                           I am assuming that Cristina is fairly healthy, is that correct?   Am I too nosie?

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2015 6:51 AM

Look at it this way, Sharon. There's a difference between an inquiring mind. And being 'nosie.' You have an inquiring mind. That's usually a good and positive thing. An attribute. Keep being your natural self. That's the best way to navigate life. --Jim
sharon11daugherty
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2015 8:28 PM

Recently on another thread we were talking about training dogs and how you have to be the Alpha Leader. 

It brought to mind how much that is like my new role as caregiver. I do not like being the Alpha Leader. I enjoy being a part of a team, I like to hear a plan and go with it. If my opinion is necessary I like to give it. In all my years of marriage {43} my LO has made many good choices for us. All areas from financial to vacation spots. I would have never dreamed of going far away places , but he did and so we did. I was so glad. I was raised not to expect too much and most certainly not to ask.  I have had to learn to alter those views, hard to do.

With the onset of this disease I have had to be the Alpha. I have to act. I have to make the decisions.  alone.... LO wants me to decide for him. LO does not want to be asked which one  .LO does not want me to ask him questions. LO is relieved when I have the answer, LO does not want to see a bill, just a statement from the bank . Life has reversed on me. I have had a hard time making statements on a daily basis. ' I am going to the store"  "You are taking a shower"......    on the other thread I had to confess, that I always for 10yrs asked the dog if he had to go out????    OK so much for my Alpha abilities.  But I am learning.   I am not comfortable at all with this. But I guess Life is not about my comforts.  

I once read that God is more interested in my  Character than my Comfort.  I think it is true. 

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2015 10:45 PM

I have nothing against comfort, Sharon. Comfort comes in many forms. I'm in pursuit of happiness. And in the process of achieving happiness, I'm comfortable. I have relative peace of mind. I fall in love. Of course, there's also a price to pay for love. Sorrow. From the loss of a loved one. I have a friend. Who seems to grieve forever. She feels deprived. And loses sight of the spiritual connection of everlasting love. The aim in life should be a continual pursuit of happiness. Jeanne and I were married. For 38 years. In all that time. we were separated for maybe 10 days. Indeed, we had togetherness. Physically. Mentally. Emotionally. And we still do -- spiritually. And Jeanne tells me to get on with life. In loving ways. In pursuit of happiness. Wouldn't surprise me if Jeanne -- from her perch in the spiritual domain --- arranged for my chance meeting with Italian amore Cristina. Jeanne's way of seeing that I remain happy and contented and in love with life. Thank you, dear Jeanne.--Jim
sharon11daugherty
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2015 5:01 PM

It makes me smile to read your posts Thanks for sharing about Jeanne. We are so blessed to have loved well for many years.  Many do not have that. I am so thankful for the years I have been able to love well, like you, on all levels, such freedom.    I, too , have friends that are in mourning for years. I hope I do not behave that way.  I hope I can continue to feel like I had so much more than most people , because I loved.   The second chances at love, people have are wonderful. My friend was 72 when she remarried, her husband had died on the senior baseball team.  Her new husband and she have now been married almost twenty years. She was like a young girl, she was so excited back then.
Sea Field
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2015 9:21 PM

A neighbor across the street lost her husband about 2 and a half years ago.  Sudden stroke.  A different neighbor in the block behind me lost his wife about a year and a half ago to dementia.  Today I saw them both walking their dogs together.  Holding hands.  Living life.

I had to smile.  A second chance at love.  It was a beautiful thing to see.

sharon11daugherty
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2015 10:23 PM

I think love is so worth the risk. Thanks for sharing that sweet picture.
sharon11daugherty
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2015 11:00 PM

Thursday,  Thanksgiving, I was surprised by a visit from my girl in California . 

What a sweet treat. We all went to my sons' as we had planned and brought our added guest. 

She returned from Tanzania 3 weeks ago and had been staying with her old  classmate. She graduated from College in LA. four years ago.  In fact, they established a scholarship in her name. Okay, I am pretty prideful about that.  This is the school that she applied to upon her return. Well, she has gotten a good position and will begin teaching and establishing a department there. A trip all the way to Oklahoma was not what I expected, but what a treat.  Someone she knew gifted her with cash, and told her to go home for the holiday.  She has been preparing for running a marathon soon. Not a big deal usually. But for her, with burns over half her body, from 24 years ago,  she is running in shorts. This will be the first time in her life she has felt free enough to do this. Such a new freedom for her. 

In light of  LO 's activity level, which is resting 24/7,  it was easy to come and go.  Shop the busy day, watch movies, have early morning coffee talks and visit with friends. I have enjoyed the recess in my otherwise quiet and routine days.  

Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 9:52 AM

Oklahoma? What are you doing in Oklahoma? I was under the impression that you were still living in California. I have never thought highly of Oklahoma. I'd rank it as one of my least favorite states. In the same class as Texas. A place to avoid. But if you are an Oklahoman, dear Sharon, maybe there is some glamour and respectability in the state, after all. Please tell me, what lured you to Oklahoma? --Jim
sharon11daugherty
Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2015 7:46 PM

My LO and I lived in California for 35 years. We even often traveled to OK every summer to visit my son and his family. Everytime we ever could hardly wait to get back to no humidity.  My husband loved golf, but we could  never afford to join a club.While in OK we found out the Golf Club cost was $1500  instead of  $60, 000.That spurred us a little.   To be  honest, I was  on my exercise  bike praying, when clear as ever, I heard "move to OK".  It  was not  6 months later, our home was the last in the neighborhood to sell at the high end..we paid  $ 59, 000  and it sold for $630, 000.         Our home in OK was half that price and a castle. With  3 of our boys with special needs this town was a  good fit. An apt with 1 bedroom is about $400, affordable for  them. OK is like going  back to the  50*s. Everyone knows everyone and the large amt of military personnel give us daily opportunities to thank  them for their service.  Jobs are  plentiful.  Our boys are all working and supporting themselves. That would not have happened in Calif. we have we been  here 10 years. Sounds like a commercial,  but I love it. My family is color blessed and the cultural mix here suits us perfect.
sharon11daugherty
Posted: Saturday, December 5, 2015 7:55 PM

Well, I cleaned up from Thanksgiving, sort of, but Decor for Christmas makes such a mess, I figured I would wait until I was done decorating, to really clean well!   I took the tree out and put it up, lights , bulbs, I was pooped.

Prior to my  LO 's  decline, he was in charge of cooking and cleaning. 10 yrs. He did the shopping as well. I loved it. He played golf ......I worked outside the home.   Now, that I am the  one and only, I see that I have become pretty lazy. I am afraid at 65 I may just call lazy my new normal!   By the time I clean up from dinner, I am done!

LO continues to sleep most of the day and nights as well.  UNRAVELING   is the way he describes his waking  time. I am all in favor of making this as easy as possible..

I think we have been in this phase for about 3 or 4 months. I need to give him ques to brush his teeth and comb his hair,  and wash up. No showers any more, I just bathe him like a sponge bath and wash his hair while he sits in the bathroom. I warm the towels in the dryer. He prefers help with his toileting.  He is walking imany little steps , but safe. His spacial  depth is off, often not allowing enough space for his head etc. 

LO loved Christmas! We saved all year, so we would be able to do gifts for all the kids and grandkids (12). He always bought the gifts, too, I had to beg him to take part. He would ask our kids at home to make a list...then he got everything on it!  I am glad they are grown now, he hasn't even  mentioned Christmas.

sharon11daugherty
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2015 7:51 PM

Tomorrow will be  my birthday. I am so glad I have saved my cards over the years. I pulled them out today and told him to pick one out.  He put it on the mantle so he wouldn't have to  worry about forgetting it. I reminded my children because I told them I did not want a pity party.  With my family, you need to make your needs known. The girls remember easily. The boys find a phone call difficult!   But I remember someone on these threads had a better Pity Party, than the real one.

I am decorating the house with excitment this year. I have been working full time for the last 8 yrs, so I haven't had a lot of time. I sure do now. LO does not seem to mind the little lights

Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2015 11:37 AM

I’m sending you birthday greetings. Somewhat reluctantly, dear Sharon. Don’t get me wrong. I wish you happiness. Every day of your life. Not merely on your birthday. Birthdays shouldn’t be any more special than any other day. Birthdays should just blend in. To the specialty of your entire life.  That’s my odd way of looking at things. I try to not even count my birthdays. Used to. ,When I was a youth. For selfish reasons. I got gifts. And special attention. Which I really didn’t deserve. Now it’s a reminder that I’ve crept into relative old age. Which, of course, is far nicer  than the alternative of dying young.  But it’s also a reminder that I’m running out of time. Here on Mother Earth. I’d just as soon not have those reminders. I know. I know. I’m supposed to be grateful. For everything. At least, everything nice.  And so far, having another and another and another birthday to celebrate is nice. But I’d just as soon forget. And just get on with life. Feeling special every day. Not merely on one’s birth date. And that’s what I wish for you, Sharon. --Jim

VKB
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 10:49 AM

Sharon,  Your words speak the truth....thank you for sharing.  May you and your husband have God's peace.  I prayed for you and your husband.  Veronica
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 12:47 PM

Happy Birthday (belatedly), Sharon!  

Happy birthday vector illustration

I hope it was a special day for you!

In 2003 I made application to adopt a waiting child.  The agency knew I was on disability, and asked me if my health was strong enough to care for a child with special needs.  I insisted it was.  I was wrong.  I was able to complete the training, but I was not able to complete the home study.  For years, I believed my health problems were temporary, but I finally had to come to the acceptance that this is my new status, and that I do not have the strength to care for a child.  There are days that I cannot care for myself.  It took me years to get over this.

I enjoyed reading your story.  I'm glad you like Oklahoma.  

Iris L.

sharon11daugherty
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 9:34 PM

Thanks for the wishes!  And the prayers Veronica★   Iris I will try to tell you funny stories about the goings on at my house.

First one comes to mind. Daniel, retarded, did not like the toilet. He was 4 and he knew if he did #2 in the toilet he could go on a train ride. Well, he did it!  8am we headed to the train to San Francisco. Got on , sat down, heavy commute, 2 seats left.

Daniel yells out " Mom, did everybody poop in the toilet today!"  

Blessings, sharon

hvhartman
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 10:36 PM

Wonderful stories.  Life is for living. 

My wife never liked country music as much as I did.  Now, at stage 6, she enjoys car rides and the music.  I choke up at Willy Nelson's "You Were Always on my Mind".  '...little things I should have done but never took the time'.  Now we are out of time and I regret all the things I should have done.  So when people tell me they don't know how I do this caregiver thing I tell them I don't know how I couldn't do it.

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 11:06 AM

LOL!  Out of the mouth of babes...

Iris L.

sharon11daugherty
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 10:02 AM

Today I was so encouaged by something Charles Spurgeon wrote long ago.

God is not moved by eloquence of words and oratory of tongue, but he is swift to answer the true oratory and true eloquence of distress.

When you have no strength,  when you do not know what to do, just come and lay your problems at His feet. Pray, "There it is, and my eyes are on you." Perhaps you think that is not praying.. Let me tell you this is the most powerful form of prayer. Just set your case before God. Cast all your sorrow and needs on Him, and then say, "Lord, there it is."

I hope you are encouraged as I was. I need daily reminders. This is too big for me.

Blessings, sharon

montgal
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 11:15 PM

Sharon,

Where did you live and work in SF? We lived in SF for about 20 years in the outer Richmond District on Anza and California St. When my husband was a child, he lived in the inner Richmond. I worked at California Pacific in pediatric oncology/cardiology/liver/kidney. My husband worked for Crowley on tugboats. I initially worked at Children's for a year in ortho and ended up at Kaiser in the pediatric clinic. A good friend worked at UC and Shriner's and another friend works at St.Mary's. Was a great city to live and work in the 80's and 90's but am glad that we moved. Such huge changes there now but still a beautiful city and loved our time there. Such wonderful memories. 

Also lived at Tahoe before moving to SF. Worked at the Truckee hospital back in the days before organized ICU's in a small hospital. My goodness, my age is showing!

Sounds like you are happy with the move out of the SF area also.

Montgal

sharon11daugherty
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 9:52 AM

I was born and raised Iin the Noe Valley area,  up towards twin peaks about 5 miles from Mission Dolores. I worked at  the old Franklin hospital that later became Davies Medical center. They filmed   ' Streets of San Francico ' there. I always thought I might get discovered...not. It is amazing what a small world this is, when we collide in memories.  My summers were spent nearTruckee. Outside of Marysville was a small town called  'Smartsville'. My grandparents lived there, no TV, no movies, we played outside and rode horses, so fun. My sweet grandpa took us to a tiny church every week and did all the care for us. My grandmother was waited on like a qween.

Interesting I never thought about his example to me in that, but today I see it. My grandmother had a back problem, but depression was probably the major issue. Something my LO has battled with a long time. I feel like God has equiped me in the past to handle what may be ahead.  I like that attribute of His.

I hope you are slowly getting used to this lifechange. Balance is what I am daily striving for. Decisions, plans...all on me...this is a new game. I am overwhelmed before I come face to face with the Creator...then each day he maps out the steps.

1 , 2, 3,   boy do I need them simple. Today Christmas notes to grandchildren.

montgal
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 11:43 AM

I think that my husband had his arm casted at Davies Medical Center. Fractured it on the tugboat. I remember driving around Twin Peaks and Noe Valley and ate at a few restaurants. Forgot that Streets of San Francisco was filmed in the area. Monk was filmed in SF. Think I will watch some episodes on my Kindle HD. I find that I need more laughter. I crave it actually. We used to laugh so much. My LO is Irish/Italian and was such a kidder and loved to have fun. 

I know Marysville. Loved all those out of the way towns. We used to go jeeping when we lived there.

Yes, it is such a change to have all of the responsibility. Make all decisions. Take care of him like a child. One step at a time with God's help.

Now I need to go out and shovel!

Blessings, Joyce

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 1:22 PM

So nice to have threads like this in musings. You've started something nice, dear Sharon. --Jim
sharon11daugherty
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2015 12:30 PM

Thanks Jim!  I don't mind this journey if it benefits someone somewhere. Most of the events in our lives that have caused life changes in us, are good learning tools, for us and others.  I am glad you have encouraged me to muse, I am enjoying it!

As LO is going through these stages rapidly, my best friend is immobile due to the radiation used on her cancer. Life is not easy for them.. My days are spent holding their hands as they lay in silence. I like to think, if it were me in their place, I would want someone to do the same for me. Our worlds have paused, but no one else knows. As my best friends husband and I  communicate, we find solace in the fact that  we will changed forever by this time of separation from the world. No one knows this feeling until it comes, and then it is too late to 'get off the bus'.