RSS Feed Print
peer volunteers - rules for posting constraining
eaglemom
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2016 8:12 AM

The words from one of our favorite movies comes to mind here - "I have no wish to fight ya." I need not say anymore.

eagle

The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2016 9:02 AM

We should have the SAME right talk bout OUR issues with OUR caregivers...as caregivers feel they have right do bout their loved ones - period.  This should no eve be a question!

To an one who be think that they can be hold PWD higher standard than caregivers - you be delusional an need help.  There no nice PC way say that. 

PWD have multiple challenges they be fighting over come just say an thing at all...we have language barriers an disabilities...we have missing pieces knowledge we learned long way life...we lack filters...can no hold multiple points view.  Caregivers have none those issues over come - none.

That we PWD can talk write at all is amazing...I am overcome with pride love appreciating all the hard work it be take each here write at all...

...an PWD seem have more patience each other, understanding our language diff...than non-PWD seem do...that is always amaze me too...an I great appreciate that. 

PWD have harder time emotions than non-PWD as well.  They be take us longer process...we have re-learn, re-figure how deal with them...this takes time, understanding...which we seem be give each other. 

I rue an caregiver think they be within an kind "normal" or "healthy" boundary come over here tell us how be in Young Onset section...decide for us how be...try hold us impossible high standards (like this section be here for you) - like you be hate disease take it out on peop with disease...epic cruelness in my book, an mentally ver unhealthy.  Remind me of narcassitic personality disorder...where you be think world revolves round you, for you pleasure entertainment...an complete inability understand that other peop have diff perspectives diff needs diff feelings things...think onl you feelings be count. This OUR section, talk bout OUR issues...support each other...be supported for having been diagnosed horrible progressive fatal disease. 

We no in same boat...an no thing quite be make you FEEL you clock ticking way like brain worsening when you have this disease.  You no one with disease...this disease is no yours - it is ours.

That in itself....just being dx'd horrible progressive fatal disease be nough cause an one have moments lose it...rant...ache...hurt...cry...lament...be short...be unwilling put up bs others.  We no have time bs others.  We have no time caregivers games. 

We should no have fight for OUR right just BE in our OWN section.  We should no have need caregiver permission BE here our own section.  We should no need Alz Asso help protect OUR OWN SECTION.  But...apparently...we do.  I think that caregivers fault...be cause they be one create that as a problem.  An I think it crappy that some feel it fun thing do. 

It should just be a given (seriously folks we are all here on earth are we no?!) that PWD have diff issues that caregivers...that we have SAME right space freedom talk bout OUR issues with out monitoring from no so nice caregivers...an with out interference caregiver antics game play us.  We no here for YOU...we here, this section, for US...this section no bout YOU.  What planet crazy you have be on think this section here for you...think we here for you...think/imagine we OWE you?!

If you can no see this in healthy proper perspective - GO GET PROFESSIONAL HELP...we no therapists here, it no our job deal you craziness...you bringing you unhealthy-ness here onl add burden us...an it be HUGE burden us...as if disease no be bad nough us. 

I don't think this place will eve be healthy safe place peop Young Onset until Asso, Admins, an Peer Volunteers get their act gether an demand an make it so.  Unfortuantely.  So...you will find, MOST pwd are in OTHER groups...support groups run all over internet...doing great, sharing great information, an being there each other.  I think I am alone in wishing MY asso was this for us...but I was eve the optimist...an I still have silly huge faith in peop...that eventually sense will be knocked in heads hardhead peop...an eve one will start see light...see what they be do make this place hell for PWD...in our own asso.  Eve one involved in do that should be shamed them selves that. 

In Young Onset section...PWD should feel free talk bout issues important us...freely, with no interference others...with no antics...with no waylay make bout caregivers.  You can point fingers all you want...an eve blame me, shoot messenger this simply be cause I be shine light it...illuminate it you see it...but fact remain...PWD have neve been able FREE discuss here...instead, you get cryptic...half convos...safe topics...no real support...no like it could be - an eve one who comes over here, who no real belongs here...who detracts from this...who thinks we should be certain way....CREATES that, has hand that...is RESPONSIBLE for that...entirely.  An it will continue..until these peop either stop on their own accord, or are made forcibly stop...if they no willing stop on their own accord.   

Peer Volunteers...in my opinion...should be help re-direct ALL forum members back Asso Policy how be here.  When caregivers make PWD feel unwelcome - they should be remind folks that PWD are welcome here.  When caregivers make Young Onset section hostile place - they should step in remind them that this Young Onset Section....gain, just my opinion. 

'nough said.

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2016 3:57 PM

Sun...I am in the process of compiling information in the form of a handout for my husbands Drs and would like to include the names of the other sites for PWD that exist.
Iris L.
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2016 10:17 PM

I don't think anyone here wants to fight.  We just want validation that we can think our own thoughts and have our own opinions, without someone else telling us we are wrong to do so.  Mimi is always promoting validation.  It's true. Why can't the PWDs be validated as much as the caregivers are validated?

Unforgiven
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2016 10:49 PM

Everyone deserves validation first, because our feelings are our feelings.  Then in the case of carsgivers, there is usuzlly some gentle cognitive therapy to get us to change our perspective.  Our LOs are not acting out of malice, and I think that is the root of most of the hurt PWD receive from reading our posts.  Neither are caregivers acting out of malice.  Teepa Snow is the best at pointing out that no one wants to have the law laid down to them, PWD or not.

For the record, Iris, you really needed validation.

I took the trouble of downloading the posting guidelines, which are frustratingly vague.  They call for civility and to be supportive, but there is no definition about when things cross the line into incivility or when disagreement becomes a personal attack.  It is very subjective, unfortunately.  The most peer volunteers can do is alert the Moderators to a situation.  But any member can make a complaint too.

Peer volunteers have no special powers, but they are held to a higher standard of conduct.

Jo C.
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 9:58 AM

https://www.alzconnected.org/content.aspx?id=2147483853

This is the link to the full, Terms and Agreement, that establishes the policies that we agree to when we first register for this site.   Some of what you are speaking about can be found under the title of, "Inflammatory Content," as well as in other headings.

J.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 10:41 AM

I started reading them and it is to much to even remember. Most if it is ridicules. I think I violated ever one of those. I see not thing that say what we can do if we disagree about things. All very one sided. If you look at it carefully they have the rights to use all. That should be a big concern to all of you. To me I don’t care because I am already in the public eye.

Hudder
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 10:57 AM

I don't see any issue with a PWD asking for an opinion and/or response solely from other PWD.  This makes sense - as there may be circumstances where a post can only be addressed by someone else living with the disease, who is uniquely qualified to comment on it.

I truly hope, going forward, that PWD will truly feel that they can express their fears and frustrations or else just vent in this forum (their safe place) without being asked "why they said what they said".  

I believe this is very do able..  god bless.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 11:36 AM

One other thing. I know you may have trouble understanding this but it great to have rules. The problem is I don’t understand them like I should anymore. It may be helpful to have some real examples for them. I don’t know if some of my other PWD struggle with that.

Unforgiven
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 12:05 PM

When it comes to inflammatory words, Michael, there is such a fine line between a frank statement of opinion and a personal attack that even people without dementia have a hard time understanding.  Some people are quicker to use the report button than others.  It's a fact of online life.

On this board we're all so stressed that it makes us extra touchy to begin with.

llee08032
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 12:27 PM

These posts over the last several days are wonderful! Everything that I could think of to say and exactly how I feel has been posted by ((((Iris, Sun, Michael, alz+, Unforgiven, Hudder and others)))). Love you all!
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 12:33 PM

Unforgiven wrote:

and I think that is the root of most of the hurt PWD receive from reading our posts.  

Speaking for myself, what is at the root of my hurt, is reading that the LO is "already gone," or "brain-dead," or "like a trained monkey."  When the caregiver is posting about their own LO, they are also writing about me, because I am like their LO.  My fellow patients on this board are also like their own LOs.  My fellow patients are not "already gone," they are not "brain-dead," and they are not "like trained monkeys."

Re: Terms of Agreement:  Most patients will not read long blocks of text.  PWDs have already discussed this, many times, on this board.  Even if we do manage to read that block of text, we will not remember what it says.    

Re: inflammatory text.  I don't think caregivers think that what they post is inflammatory.  I don't think of it as inflammatory, either.  I think of it as being devastating and demoralizing.  It is like reading that I am no longer a person.  I feel very sad.  I can only imagine how it must feel to my fellow patients, who may be thinking, this is how their own family think of them.

I do not believe these statements come from malice.  These may be the true feelings.  Everyone has the right to their own feelings.  But expressing some feelings to us patients can be hurtful and devastating.  

Iris L.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 12:39 PM

Perfectly said Iris. I know they donet meant harm when CG say things but others just dont belive the effect it can have.  I just ignore it all.

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 1:33 PM

I would certainly appreciate it if you would explain to me if/when I say something that is negative. I do not know how to change if I do not understand. Asking a lot probably...sorry, but it would help.
Unforgiven
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 1:45 PM

If I can speak frankly here, I get the same demoralizing feeling from reading some of the remarks about caregivers in general, as in we're all clueless, unwilling to learn, trying to steal your joy in life, you feel sorry for our LOs, etc.  Reading that makes me want to give up what is already a thankless, life altering  job, if all I get is suspicion and resentment.

I hope I'm not the one who referred to my LO as a trained monkey, because she is still a human being with wishes and feelings which she makes known.  Her personality and behavior are changed because of certain deficits caused by her disease, and those change for the worse as time passes.  She's still here.  Hard to get along with sometimes, but she's still a person to be reckoned with.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 2:59 PM

This is the part that II hate about this forum You immediately think it is about you. There are hundreds here. Some have even left. If this does not fit you in any way then that is great don’t take it personal. If it does seem like you then you are now aware of it. It does not mean you need to change or except it. The bottom line is that is how some of us feel. It is not asking you for your permission to agree with it. It is okay to disagree.

Unforgiven
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 4:23 PM

True.  There's the saying. if it don't apply, then let it fly.  In other words, don't take it personally.

The problem we all face is that when we come here we're hurting and confused.  The more we're hurting, the more likely to take it personally.  That's true with most human beings, except the pathologically insensitive.  That's a fact of being human.

I know I'm likely to say something that will hurt or upset someone, depending on their mood or situation, but I'd like to keep it to a minimum.  I also don't want to present an unreasonably positive and jolly picture of what the dementia experience is like either.  It sucks wet flatulence from deceased pigeons for everyone involved, unless you are the rich owner of a chain of ElderCare facilities.

alz+
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 5:26 PM

HUDDER -
is your photo of your dog? Introduce dog again, I missed it. What personality in those eyes.

About saying "wrong thing" - when overwhelmed - meaning my brain/gut/heart has too much input - who knows what will come out of my mouth.

But the anger I had been expressing has diminished. I had to work at it and I did not think I should have to. I fought with my husband, I even hurt my daughter.

It is true this illness is hard in ways the outside world does not see, the effort to make it though a day without getting hurt or wrecking or losing stuff is invisible.

To the outside it looks like some one cranky or out of it. I did learn to curb my self. I became more self aware, and I learned to apologize right away or at least say "I am losing it, I wish I was not feeling like this." 

Even if one does not have dementia, learning to not argue makes the world a lot easier to live in. We can and do learn a lot all the time. Once it is known and apparent some one has dementia those with on going contact can choose to just not argue, can train themselves to hear an insult and think "some thing went wrong here, let me think what might help bring peace."

Then if the DOG looks at the people with a posture of sorrow things go back to kindness pretty quick. No one wants the dog to feel bad.

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 6:37 PM

Thanks for words of wisdom, Alz+.

I think most PWDs appreciate the efforts and intentions of caregivers.    Let's face it, we all get upset and we all use the boards to vent our frustrations.  Are we going to give up venting?  I don't think so.

We should be able to disagree, without being disagreeable.

Iris L.

Hudder
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 8:35 PM

Hi Alz+ …Yes, that’s my dog and although he’s been up in heaven for the past six years, I still carry him in my heart.  I always loved the Pug breed and adopted this male when my hubby and I bought our first home.   Pugs are great family dogs and are very good natured ,they also tend to gravitate to one family member in particular, and in our case that person was me.   He was super gentle, funny, very laid back and loved to cuddle.  Hubby loved him so much that he went out xmas  shopping one year and came back with a female pug (this was ten years ago). The female made it quite clear from the start that she was the boss!  lol..  She is much more independent, high strung, was not as easy to train and only cuddles when it suits her, or else if she’s ready to settle down to sleep.  But, we love her and all her antics and she brings us so much joy.   Anyway Alz+… that’s the back story on my Avatar J

llee08032
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2016 11:40 AM

Here's my spiel and take on the CG/CP disagreements with PWD on the board. Feelings get hurt and toes get stepped on, on both sides. But I feel like some come here looking for an argument and when there is a sensitive issue they keep coming back to add fuel to the fire. They expect the PWD to get it,  make it right, and make concessions  to tip-toe around their feelings here on this board, the PWD board where PWD should be allowed to express their CG/CP gripes just like the CG/CP can express their PWD gripes on their board. Yes, it is always said that anyone can go on any board they choose...I think many of us PWD remember that because it has been said to us so many, many, many times in response to when our complaints about not being allowed to vent here on this board w/o the CG/CP's coming over and attacking us and complaining.  Telling us we are wrong to feel the way we feel. 

The sticking point is when PWD go to the CG/CP boards and complain about the degrading things that the CG/CP's say about PWD the  response is "if it upsets you don't go to the CG/CP's board"!!!!! I have heard those words verbatim more than once. If that response is good enough for the PWD then "why" is it not good enough for the CG/CP's? If we upset you then don't come to our board? Don't come here just for the point of disagreeing. Don't come here just to make us feel bad becuase you feel bad. We feel bad enough. We worry all the time about being a burden on our loved one's and some may even unrightly so may even feel guilty about being a burden. Why do you want to hurt and punish us more?

Then I think others come here under the guise that they want to learn from us and understand us. Some do truly want to learn from us and understand us. Some of the CP/CG's are truly wonderful, compassionate and giving persons. But there are some who while they are supposedly here to learn from us that have to get their digs in and turn our experiences into a personal insult to them or their loved one under the guise that they just want to learn and understand.

Here's the other sticking point whereby a PWD just wants to express their feelings and a CG/CP gets a dig in and say's I'm just trying to lean is this not an opportunity for you to teach me? We are not all solely here to teach CG/CP's. Some of us are just here trying to get by day-by-day. Trying to survive. Does everything we express or say have to be a teachable moment to a CG/CP?  Cannot we just "be" sometimes w/o the pressure of always having to explain our feelings, our experiences or our point of view? Sometimes that is just too much work. 

I've seen PWD pressured to go back and forth with a CG/CP about a viewpoint that they expressed and if the PWD is having difficulty with communication it most  certainly is not a level playing field. In most cases another PWD will jump in to buffer the PWD 
being pressured to provide constant explanations of what they said and then the CG/CP takes insult. 

One day I might be able to express myself and get something off of my chest and feel a sense of relief. But that does not mean I can go back and forth and back and forth and keep trying to explain day's and sometimes even weeks later why I felt a certain way or said something last week. This happens all the time when an opinion is expressed by a PWD with any little reference, or even a general reference about the issue of caregiving. Why can't we just "be"? If we upset you why do you keep coming back to get upset again and again? 

Quite frankly, I think the PWD should get some credit for the well way in we have handled this ongoing issue while in between trying to survive, die and get support for ourselves on this board. I don't know that those who intentfully come here to argue or disagree so vehemently could handle this as well as we have.

Hopefully, my post will not be deleted. Hopefully, I will not be attacked or suspended for
 expressing the way I feel. Perhaps there are fragments of my feeling's that are not fact? But it is a fact that I have these feeling's. Again, these feelings are the residue of discrimination and stigma that sticks to my skin. 

I hereby request that the CG/CP's do not respond to my posts just for the sake of disagreeing with me. You cannot be both with me, in support of me and against me at the same time. If you cannot support me and validate me then say nothing. Please. Be mindful I may forget what I said when I sign off the board until I reread again tomorrow.

I hereby request that the administration does not delete my posts. I hereby request that the peer volunteers do not repeat for the 10 thousand th time that anyone can go on any board. That is not to question and it is not the issue. 

This is simply an expression of my feelings. It is not an attack on anyone. 

llee08032
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2016 11:52 AM

Ps: If the peer volunteers say anything it should be saying to the CG/CP's what you have said to us PWD "if it upsets you to go to the PWD board then don't go there." That would make some PWD on this board feel validated and supported by the peer volunteers. Will you validate and support us? Will the administration validate and support us by not deleting my posts? It remains to be seen. I ask that you defend us also. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2016 12:24 PM

Thanks so much for the comments made llee08032. I will say that it seems that people are getting it and we can all learn to respect each other if we look at how this thread has been going. I do hope that we all can to continue that in other threads.  

llee08032
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 7:00 AM

Michael Ellenbogen wrote:

Thanks so much for the comments made llee08032. I will say that it seems that people are getting it and we can all learn to respect each other if we look at how this thread has been going. I do hope that we all can to continue that in other threads.  

Michael,

I hope you are right that people are getting it and that we can all learn to respect one another. I wish that others that left the board because of the way things have been were  here to see the change. No one really replies to the comments made about those who left the board because they didn't feel supported but I can vouch that it is the truth because I've seen and met some of those PWD in other forums. 

I am so, so, so glad that you have come back Michael. If there really is a change, you and other PWD here who have persisted for preserving our rights to a supportive environment deserve credit for making change happen. I thank you also!

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 1:16 PM

I just finished a telephone conversation with a Moderator from Alzconnected, who had reached out to me re: my deleted thread.  There was good flow of communication back and forth.  What I realized is that they were not upset with me, personally.  

The Moderator suggested that anytime I or any other member has a problem that we cannot handle, to contact them via the "Contact Us" tab or the Helpline number (1-800-272-3900).  I will take them up on that.

We have a great message board.  I believe it is the best message board on the entire internet for discussing dementia.  I have learned so much from other patients and from caregivers.  Let's keep going!

Iris L.

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 2:29 PM

That is good news, Iris. I am glad to hear that you think our forums are good. Much has been said about other forums being better. I am putting together a list of resources for my husbands Drs and Hospices here and did ask for the names of other online sites but no response yet.
Hudder
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 2:53 PM

The Moderator suggested that anytime I or any other member has a problem that we cannot handle, to contact them via the "Contact Us" tab or the Helpline number (1-800-272-3900). 

Iris, glad to hear about your positive experience!

also, best wishes, keep posting and keep the faith.. Alz+ Llee, Michael, Iris, Mimi, Bill and all the other wonderful folks here on these boards as well! 

Hudder
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 2:55 PM

You too Sun!  
Unforgiven
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 3:40 PM

That is wonderful news, Iris.  Wonderful!
llee08032
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2016 4:47 AM

jfkoc wrote:
That is good news, Iris. I am glad to hear that you think our forums are good. Much has been said about other forums being better. I am putting together a list of resources for my husbands Drs and Hospices here and did ask for the names of other online sites but no response yet.

Early Stage Alzheimer's Group (Private Facebook Group for PWD Only)

Dementia Knowledge (Public Facebook)

Dementia Information (Public Facebook)

Dementia Middle Stages (Public Facebook)

Dementia Mentors (Has a virtual memory cafe)

Virtual Groups | Lewy Body Dementia Association

https://www.lbda.org/content/virtual-groups
Healtheo360 Virtual Support Group. The Lewy Body Dementia Association is partnering with healtheo360, an online health resource and support community for ...

Dementia | Support Groups

dementia.supportgroups.com/

The Dementia Support Group is here for anyone looking for support in dealing withDementia. You can join the Dementia Support Groups here for free.

AlzOnline : Alzheimer's Caregiver Support Online

alzonline.phhp.ufl.edu/
AlzOnline provides information, education and support to caregivers of persons with ... Stages of Alzheimer's; Progressive Dementia; Vascular Dementia; Frontal ...

Dementia Support Group - DailyStrength

www.dailystrength.org/c/Dementia/support-group
DailyStrength

Meet over 1350 friendly, supportive people sharing their experiences with Dementia. Real help from real people.

llee08032
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2016 5:03 AM

There are I'm sure more groups specific to each type of dementia.
Amor Fati
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2016 5:05 AM

Wow, llee, that is an impressive collection of dementia sites on the internet. Thank you for posting.
Dementia Alliance International is another group for and by PWDs

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2016 10:41 AM

thank you for the info...
llee08032
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2016 7:25 AM

Iris wrote: We have a great message board.  I believe it is the best message board on the entire internet for discussing dementia.  I have learned so much from other patients and from caregivers.  Let's keep going!

Iris, I don't think anyone here was ever upset with you personally. You play a great role in making this message board a great place! I say this with much love and respect for you and others on this board. 

A moderators viewpoint should always be objective.

I do not particularly care for the facebook groups especially the ones that are public. The private Early Stage FB group is good but not as intimate as our board and sometimes not as active as our board despite that there are a lot of members. I joined dementia mentors a while back and still do not have a mentor. I have not yet participated in any of the meetings or groups yet because they are mostly during the day hours when I am working. Anonymity and privacy are important to me at this time for obvious reasons and I think some of the meets are available for viewing on youtube. 

I don't want to debate about this but I wish there was more anonymity here also in that you would have to at the least be a member to view PWD posts. There are many such anonymous groups for cancer patients. Perhaps cancer patients are more so afforded confidentiality and protected by HIPPA laws. 

Amori,

It does seem like a lot of resources for dementia but it is a drop in the bucket for us. If I were to post online support groups for persons with cancer it would require many posts and a great deal of time.

Hudder, I love those little pug's. They are adorable. I am contemplating getting another dog but now is not the right time. I may consider getting a companion dog.

Mimi S.
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2016 9:02 AM

Hi Llee,

We can have as much privacy as we wish by watching what we write on our profile page and in what we post.

On the flip side, sometimes if a responder knew the location, an answer could be more specific .