RSS Feed Print
Dx and SSDI
Topdogjim
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 7:09 AM

I assume that this question comes up often but I'm trying to help. My dx from the memory disorder clinic list F02.80 major neurocognitive disorder due to multiple etiologies. Does this qualify for the early favorable SSDI? I'm 59. As we are about to get crushed financially I wood like to understand. We have a lawyer and applied on May 1st. At that time my dx was bi-polar depression. Reading back the doctor's information he sent in, it reads 100% like someone with dementia. 

My lawyer has sent in the new dx to SSDI but was just wondering if will suffice for the compassion claim. 

Also no one told me that I would have good days and bad days. I felt a downward swing in one day. 

llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 7:33 AM

Jim,

Facing financial difficulties on top of your diagnosis is a major stressor and adding insult to injury. I know little about disability benefits but trust that others will jump and give you some sound advice. There are also some older threads that give detailed info about applying and getting approved for SSD.

As far as no telling you there would be good days and bad days I am assuming you are referring to the Dr's and the so called experts? 

Unfortunately, many of us here have concluded that we cannot rely on Dr's to tell us things!  

eaglemom
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 8:20 AM

I'm sure some others will jump in here with some more information for you. However, if you could answer several questions for me that will help all of us help you.

You state the lawyer sent in the new dx to SSDI. But have you followed up on it? Or the lawyer? Has it been long enough for you (or your lawyer) to receive a letter stating they've received the new dx?

For some the process is long, but for others it is not. I realize that answer does not help you, but each case is different. My best advise to you at this point is to make certain that when you speak with the lawyer you take notes, and write down the date & time of whom you spoke with. Equally if you contact the SSDI office note the date & time of whom you spoke with. Do not use get a first name, a full name or at least a company ID of whom you are speaking. (That bit of advise helped me when applying)

It takes time, but you should receive some communication from the SSDI office at some point.

eagle

BillBRNC
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 8:23 AM

I should think any decent qualified SS attorney would know the answer to this, if not off the top of their heads then after about 2 minutes of looking it up. I don't know the answer, but I sure would think your diagnosis is good enough, but your lawyers sure as heck should know about this. I wish you good luck, as you also will get Medicare if you get SSDI. As for up and down days, I have them all the time, sometimes I can identify something that might be a cause, other times not. I have early onset Alz and Lewy Body Dementia. LBD is supposed known to have constant ups and downs, and that would be my experience. Good luck.
Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 1:00 PM

The Social Security Administration (SSA) has added early onset/younger-onset Alzheimer's to the list of conditions under its Compassionate Allowance Initiative, giving those with the disease expedited access to Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Here' a link about it: 

http://www.alz.org/living_with_alzheimers_social_security_disability.asp 

Jim, you can discuss this with your attorney, and also with a Care Consultant on the Helpline.  

As Ilee says, you can search through the older threads for good information on filing your application for SSDI..  It is important to explain why you cannot be employed, not just that you have the symptoms that you have.

It is my belief as a former practicing physician, that modern physicians let down patients with chronic diseases.  Medicine as a profession is both an art and a science.  Doctors are advancing with the scientific part.  But the artful part of medicine is fading.  One of the goals of a doctor in caring for a patient with a chronic disease, is to bring a degree of consistency to the patient's life.  

In other words, the doctor's job is to smooth out the ups and downs of the patient's daily life.  This can be accomplished by use of medications, other treatment modalities and lifestyle advice.  Keep in mind that there will always be ups and downs, they will not disappear completely.  But the wild swings up and down should be lessened.

The topics we talk about on the message board help us do exactly that.  I know my life is more consistent based on advice I have learned from my fellow members.  This is why it is so important for PWDs to have a support outside of just the medical profession.  You will not learn how to bring consistency from the medical profession, only from your peers.

Iris L.

The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 1:29 PM

Good question.  Alzheimer's IS on the "Compassionate Allowances" for SSDI...BUT...

Major Neurocognitive Disorder is the new DSM5's term for "Dementia"...which, although LIKE Alzheimer's in ALL important aspects...is no Alzheimer's...SO....

It ALL DEPENDS on who you talk with at the SS Office...

But I would ask for them do you a Compassionate Allowance...just in case you get a compassionate person who knows what is what.  Some get it...

Hope that helps.

PS...you want apply for BOTH SSI an RSDI...also for what it worth. 

BillBRNC
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 1:51 PM

Sun, I didn't know about what you wrote. Hard to understand why there would be a difference. I guess with Alz SS just assumes you are disabled, while with regular dementia they still want you to support your claim of not being able to work. Doesn't seem fair to me, but little in the law or government or politics seems fair to me anymore. I don't even like to think about it, but I also don't like to think about those with dementia being told to jump through hoops without some valid reason. Just my two cent. Bill.
Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 3:33 PM

RSDI stands for Retirement, Survivors, and Disability Insurance and is an acronym for the three of the types of benefits that the Social Security Administration pays. Another name for the Social Security program is "Old Age, Survivors And Disability Insurance Program," or OASDI.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)Benefits. The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program pays benefits to disabled adults and children who have limited income and resources. SSI benefits also are payable to people 65 and older without disabilities who meet the financial limits.

FWIW, my initial diagnosis on my SSDI application was depression/anxiety.  I do not know the diagnostic code.  I was approved on the first application.  

Iris L.