RSS Feed Print
Old Spice
Veterans kid
Posted: Wednesday, December 7, 2016 2:48 PM

Hey kids-haven't posted much but I just wanted to reach out to those that understand. Yes the holidays are definitely a trying time, or they can be.

Even with all the blessings and gifts that we receive daily, one part isn't always scabbed over enough and it does break open from time to time. I've been doing better, and I think I had posted this before but who the heck knows  

There's a lot of memories that are starting to warm my heart way before my dad got sick, and it's good to remember him that way. So for the most part, somethings are much better I have yet to put up the tree and not sure if I will. I did promise a little girls that lived next-door to us that I put up the deer outside,  so when they drive-by they can see them. I'm not sure if I hadn't promised those girls that I would've done it-but I didn't and wouldn't break a promise to a child like that. I'm glad I did it, just not sure about the tree yet or any Christmas decorations inside the house.

I was in the store today and as I was going to the grocery section, I passed an aisle with the big display of Old Spice gift sets.   My dad's favorite, and I got him a set every year. That's all it took. I got what I needed,  came home, and just let the grief take over and cried for a bit. I'm OK now, and definitely the grief is not quite as intense as it was nine months ago or even six months ago.  And for that I'm grateful .

I am just missing my mom and dad very much today 

Sending all of you hugs, prayers, and today's flavor-chocolate chip pop tarts! 

Always be VK 

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, December 7, 2016 6:38 PM

Ah, the Christmas tree. I have been giving it a lot of thought the past few days. Do I want to go to the trouble? Would an artificial one be good? What about a small one? What is the purpose?

I will put up lights outside and will hang a wreath but the tree? Maybe like the past few years just lights.

How about asking the neighbor girls to help you with the deer and maybe inside? Then cinnamon poptarts and hot chocolate?

Tink4495
Posted: Wednesday, December 7, 2016 11:03 PM

Hi Julie,

I forced myself to put the tree up this last weekend. I did it for mom, as Christmas was always her favorite holiday. She always made it so special from the time I was little. I hung her stocking with the others on the mantel tonight.

I am so glad to see your post as I just came in from the garage where I was going through some of her boxes labeled "Christmas" and I just had a good cry. I also came across a tiny pink stocking that had a gift tag in it from my dad, he always put little gift tags in little stockings and attached them to our presents. Oh, the memories, so cherished but so sad at the same time. I too am missing both my parents so much. I agree, the holidays can be very trying. I am trying to just remember, they would want us to be happy and not sad but it is hard.

Your story of the old spice gift sets brought back memories as well. I always got my oldest brother a old spice gift set for Christmas each year and he passed 3 years ago.

Sending hugs and prayers and when I eat a poptart, I always think of you and your dad.

Veterans kid
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2016 8:14 PM

Jfkoc and Tink!

Oh how I love you!!!!

The deer are up and out side, and today I put the tree up. I have the last eight years of ornaments that my dad got me. He got us all the ornaments-one for each year, for all of us kids,

Grandkids, and great grand kids.

I took my time and chose the ornaments this year that would make the tree mine and very special, and the ornament in remembrance of my mom that hospice gave us 21 years ago, and the new ornament that the funeral home gave me with my dad's name on it take the two to prime positions  on the tree. Very good friend of mine, and also another good friend who was our hospice nurse, both had told me that I should put the tree up this year, reminded me of how much my dad enjoyed it, and that he would want me to. 

So I did, and I'm sitting here listening to Christmas music, and drinking a glass of wine, and thinking about not only last year-when dad woke up every day and thought the tree was something new. So many Christmases from my childhood, and as a teenager, then an adult.

I've thought about and smiled when my dad and I went and sat on Santa's lap, because he had never had and he was 80 years old at the time I believe. It was a wonderful memory and a wonderful day!!!

I just wanted to say thank you, for reaching out, understanding, and helping me realize that this is a good thing. 

Christmas candy, pop tarts, cheesecake, and fresh baked cookies for everyone! 

Always be VK!

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2016 9:08 PM

do you happen to have a pic of your father w/Santa??????
jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2016 9:17 PM

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2016 9:20 PM

Tink4495
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2016 9:31 PM

That's awesome Julie. I am glad you put the tree up and the deer are out and you are enjoying the wine and music, this is good for the soul. 

My mom also bought us kids a ornament each year from the time we were small. I do the same thing with my son, so now whenever he moves out on his own, he will have a start for his tree.

I'm with jfkoc, do you have a picture of your dad with Santa? That is great! Keep remembering those cherished memories my friend.

Veterans kid
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2016 9:57 PM

I have not been able to add and pic like I used to.   I've converted different pictures to JPEG, and PNG-, but to no avail. I choose the photo and it says uploading and it comes back every time that the file is too big. How can that be it's one picture?

So I hope you guys can see this picture. It's one of my favorites from about 13 years ago or so. 

Tink4495
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2016 10:38 PM

Julie,

love the pic! Thanks for sharing this one

If the picture was taken with high megapixels, it will say it's too large. I am not techie at all but I have this problem with pics from my phone alot.

MPSunshine
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2016 6:22 AM

Dear Julie, What a sweet photo of your ever-loving daddy.  {{{{{{Julie}}}}}}}}

Nadine

KML
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2016 11:52 AM

My dad liked Old Spice, too.  I love the smell of that scent, when I see it or smell it, I think of my dad.

I found an ornament of a pansy flower that I bought after my mom passed away, it was her favorite flower.   I wrote on the back of it, In Memory of My Mom.

Five years ago, I took my dad to the mall, I saw an ornament with his name on it and I decorated his little tree with it.

Since his death, I place my mom and dad ornaments next to each other on my tree right in front.  They are with me.

Veterans kid
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2016 8:31 PM

KML- Exacrly!    

Always, they are with us! 

What's funny, my cat, Blaze, hasn't been a lap cat since he was a kitten two years ago. He would  sit with my dad all the time.  Never me- lol.  Oh, he loves me, but just wouldn't sit with me.  Or anyone else for that matter. 

The past 4 or 5 days, he started doing it!!!  Each day, a little longer. Tonight he has sat in the chair with me, took his bath, and now back to his nap.  I wonder if he's missing dad, and I'd like to think , in way, he's giving me a gift as I look st the Christmas tree. 

KML
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 11:17 AM

VK -

There's nothing like a fur baby sitting on your lap to warm your heart.  Your cat will do this more and more.  Cats can sometimes start out slow, but once they start doing something, they keep doing it.  It's a good habit.

My little one, without fail every night when I go to bed, brings me her stuffed mouse and throws it on the bed next to me.  It's her gift to me.  She does it with her signature "meow".

They sense our sadness and they do what they can to help us.  I believe that.