RSS Feed Print
Sundays
jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, April 2, 2017 12:04 PM

Why are we as a culture so reluctant to give space to the darker emotions and recognize them as normal? Why must we march herd-like through life feeling only positive? Why are we pressured to move quickly through so-called negative emotions into the land of happy, happy, happy? Why must we always be tip-toeing through the  tulips? What about giving space to the darkness so that we can reach the  light?

I need to acknowledge what I am going through with patience and without fear

bela
Posted: Sunday, April 2, 2017 9:30 PM

Agreed!  These days remain dark as the reality of my loss slaps me in the face...every lonely empty day and night.  The stark reality is darkness ~

Tay46
Posted: Monday, April 3, 2017 10:35 AM

So true.
KML
Posted: Tuesday, April 4, 2017 5:57 PM

People are uncomfortable with it.  They don't know what to do with it.  None of us, really do.  It hits us hard, I always say I felt like I hit a brick wall running at full speed.  When my mother passed away, I thought of the grief as my friend.  I could sit with it and felt I didn't have to explain a thing to anyone, I just let it be.  If I was quiet, if I didn't laugh or smile, my grief understood.  It protected me from those who wanted me to hurry up and cheer up.  

We have to go through it to get to the other side.  There is no set timeframe.  You learn when you go through grief.  You learn to drop the unimportant things in life and concentrate on the important.  We become seasoned, we become sensitive to the good and the bad.  We survive.