RSS Feed Print
The worst sin imaginable.
Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 1:13 PM

I’ve never felt hate. Toward anyone. In my entire life. Oh, I’ve disliked some nasty people. But I can say that I’ve never felt the emotion of hate. Of course, there may be people that I should hate. But I don’t. Mostly people that I’m acquainted with from a distance. So I really don’t know them well enough to build a case for actual hate. Anyway, I’m confused. When I’m accused of hatred.  Of Republicans, for instance. Nothing could be further from the truth. Sure, I dislike some politicians. For what they stand for. But hate? No way. I poke fun. I parody. In ways that may seem cruel. To some observers. But I don’t come close to hating anyone. Even if someone slaps me in the face. And spits on me.  That would be no reason to hate. Sure, it might be reason to fight back. But I’d be hurting only myself. If I decided to hate someone. Even if someone murdered my best friend or a close relative, I’d be angry about it I might even fume. But it would still be short of hatred. I wonder why. Might be. That one thing I know with absolute certainty. Hatred is morally wrong. It’s the one sin that I avoid. Maybe because it’s the  worst sin imaginable. --Jim

chrisp1653
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 2:50 PM

I suppose, Jim, that part of the problem is that for many people, what you describe as poking fun , or parody, is seen as an active dislike, or possibly, as hatred. I think I may have said something about that word in another comment, but as with a lot of things, I sometimes think I've said something, when , in fact, I've only thought it. So, to be perfectly clear, I believe that hate and hatred, are misused, and overused. You need to understand your viewing audience. While many of us are comfortable here and not threatened, I think it behooves us all to remember that not everybody is in love with life, and they venture here with some trepidation.

Andy left and came back, and I am thrilled that he did, but there are others, ( I think , ) who just quietly feel crushed and disappear. That's a tragedy, and likely one that we have some control over. I feel like you, perhaps, more than others, get the blame for this more often only because of the sheer volume of your words.

I wonder if the greater sin is not hatred itself, but the spreading of dissent without meaning to have done so.  Words for myself to heed as much as for anyone else.

Chris

ladyzetta
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 6:54 PM

I agree with a lot of what Chris said. I have seen a lot of hurtful comments make on these boards I also feel some people have been run off due to the comments.

Most of us on these boards I believe are dealing with different types of emotions. I have received a lot of emotional support from these boards, I am VERY THANKFUL for that, but I also have been teetering on if I find these boards to be helpful any longer. 

I think we all need to try to understand how hurtful we can be to each other. There are a lot of smart people on these boards with a lot of good advice. 

I used to post more on the other boards but now I just read a lot of the post, I am afraid of being misunderstood again, and that is the problem with trying to understand with words.  My Best to All of You. Zetta 

Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 1:50 AM

True understanding, Zetta, must come with more than words. With something beyond the beyond. Mere words are insufficient. Far too limiting.  I don't know how to make myself clear with others  I am always searching for new ways. To express myself.  That's why I muse. To experiment.  And to risk being misunderstood.  --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 2:32 AM

No one misunderstands me more than Andy. That is not meant as criticism. But as fact. Nothing more. Nothing  less. We are all entitled to our own set of facts. We interpret the same thing in different ways. Possibly, there is no single truth. To each his own. That's why I am called an existentialist. Even that word has many, many meanings. Depending on one's own perspective. Where everyone is right. And nobody is wrong. We are in an existentialist age. It's fashionable.  --Jim
Andrew60
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 6:24 AM

I dont misunderstand you at all Jim. Your words are always well crafted, and mean exactly what you want them to. Very hurtful to others, and that my friend is no accident, or you being misunderstood. Muse on that.
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 9:54 AM

Look at it this way, Andy. You allow my words to be hurtful. Though I do not intend them to be. Fact is, that as an existentialist, I don’t allow your words to be hurtful. Even when you tell me I’m going to hell. Some non-Christians would take offense. But I don’t. Because I know you to be well-meaning. Yes, a truly nice guy. I like you. And I’d like us to be friends.  Even though some non-Christians would construe your words as hurtful. Especially if you tell them (with seeming certainty)  they are bound for hell. Simply because they aren’t Christians. That could be taken as an insult. Though I know you don’t mean it to be. You merely want them to see the light. From your perspective.  You want to save their souls. And to remind them that hell can be a gawdawful place. In essence, you are trying to do them a favor. Andy, I’m a very tolerant fellow. A free-thinker. Living with a Christian. A Catholic and an Italian. Yes, that’s my true love, dear Cristina. We’ve even visited the Vatican. Together. And watched the pope deliver a message from his balcony. In St. Peter’s Square.  In many, many ways, Cristina and I are very different people. But we have brought balance and tolerance into our relationship. Makes us whole. And accepting of each other. Unconditionally. Yes, my definition of true love. --Jim

Andrew60
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 10:31 AM

For the record, I never once said your going to hell. What I did say is we are all free to make our own choice about what we believe in, and we have to be ready to deal with the eternal consequences of our choice. As I have stated before, I dont believe in "religion". That is a man made set of rituals and customs. I strictly believe in every Word in the Bible, nothing else, and nothing less.
jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 12:45 PM

folks, this is the same message that has been written since before 2007 here, on the other message boards and on the broedes broodings blog. You can go there and read for yourself. Jim, you can go there and review. It is true.  

It does not change because there is no learning or even desire to do so. Some post in an effort to break through...this goes in cycles then it dies off and almost always involves new members.

It is not unlike communicating with our loved ones...we are told do not reason, do not explain, do not argue. There is no point. A lot of people are like that...on a different page. The only communication will be on their page because we are the ones able to change.

Sad but not rare.

Andrew60
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 3:14 PM

Jfkoc - I went to visit Jims blog, very interesting. I hope Jim decideds to leave his political and "spiritual posts" on his own blog, and stick with the theme of the Alzheimer's forum for his future posts.
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 3:49 PM

jfkoc:

I reason and explain with my loved ones. All the time. But I never argue. Maybe that's why my loved ones also put their emphasis on reasoning and explaining. And I listen. Intently. They know I don't want to argue. It's counter-productive. Can lead to alienation. We find ways to settle our differences. Without arguing. Often by compromising. We think we are setting an example for others. Especially for politicians. Even on the message boards, I rarely, if ever, argue. Instead, I reason and explain my position.The other guy chooses to argue. I don't. That's the beauty of what I am doing with you now, jfkoc. Reasoning and explaining. Really, there's nothing to argue about. I understand what you are saying. Please understand, I'm not arguing the issue with you. I am accepting and honoring what you have to say. You have a keen mind.  Your presence adds lustre to the message boards. Of course, we may not agree over everything. But I occasionally choose to disagree. Politely. Without arguing. Seems to me that you are a sensible and reasonable person. You are worth listening to. And believe me, I am listening. There should be no argument over that. I would compromise. Just to get along with you. And to avoid an argument. -Jim

ALZConnected Moderator
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 6:15 PM

The objective of ALZConnected is to promote discussion and understanding.

Participants agree to encourage civility, be supportive, be relevant and be responsible in their posting.

Thank you for your cooperation.

ALZConnected Moderator

Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 6:46 PM

Another thing I wouldn’t argue about,  jfkoc. Is the wise decision today to close down the political thread. It served a useful purpose for a while. But in recent times it became a source of too much unsettling conflict. Unfortunately, I didn’t help the situation. I could have simply quit posting there. Yes, I’m willing to take the blame. Anyway, I’m breathing a sigh of relief. I thank the administration for taking this action. You won’t find me arguing against it. It was the right thing to do. We’ll all benefit. By having learned a lesson. As for me, I'll try to be kinder and more understanding. If that's what it takes. --Jim

Andrew60
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 7:05 PM

Im glad that thread was closed. Years ago, but only if it was a political forum, Jim you and I would've been exchanging many posts, trying our best to sway the other.

Civility is a two way street, and I could have been more civil in some of my recent posts.

New day, new way forward.

chrisp1653
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 2:38 AM

Jim,  for all of us , kindness and understanding are always what it takes. Not just for you. Maybe we have all learned some lessons here.

Blessings, 

Chris

sharon11daugherty
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 10:35 PM

I grew up in conflict. I run from it. During my time as a caregiver the last thing I wanted was to be challenged.  I had so much of that with my DH. I ran from it on these boards. But oh, how I have enjoyed the affirming friendship of so many.

I longed to be accepted as I was, kind of desperate for friends that knew "where I was".

Each of us needs to be so aware of others, but I now realize, that when you are drowning it is hard to think of others properly.

I treasure each of you. Blessings, Sharon

chrisp1653
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:49 AM

Sharon ! So glad to see you here. We've missed you . You always speak your mind and heart, but never in an offensive way. Hope you poke your smile in more often.

Chris

Jim Broede
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 11:25 AM

It's also nice having you around, Sharon. Because you generally find a way to tolerate me. I know it ain't easy. But you are up to the challenge. I appreciate it. --Jim