RSS Feed Print
a garden
jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 11:16 AM

I have found it helpful to think of a garden as sculpture...not sculpture in the sense of an object to be viewed. Instead a sculpture  comprised of a series of spaces large enough and perforated enough to walk through which  creates  an experience which is essentially a communion with nature. .

eaglemom
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 12:31 PM

I like that analogy very much. It is spot on.

eagle

Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 1:29 PM

I rarely miss an opportunity to stroll through a botanical garden.  In my travels around the world. --Jim
chrisp1653
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 3:03 PM

I enjoy looking at gardens, but I have never liked working on them or in them. Of all the things I managed to pick up from my parents, it's clear that gardening, and a neatly made bed,  somehow fell through the cracks.
jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 4:16 PM

Is  a garden plants or a space? Like, let's go sit in the garden.  You have to think out of the box on this.
chrisp1653
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 5:48 PM

As in " perception is reality ? " Hmm... I suppose, in terms of a garden, it really is a perceptual thing. There are rock gardens, flower gardens, patio gardens, weed gardens, an English garden, a Chinese garden, Madison Square Garden  -  you name it. Any space where you can rest your thoughts and get some peace, is a garden. A garden should be synonymous with a lowered stress level.

" Doing the garden, digging the weeds, who could ask for more ? "  -  Lennon / McCartney

MPSunshine
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 5:52 PM

Hi jfkoc, Your thought about gardens and spaces reminded me of the fact that we can create beauty in our environments by taking care of the plants as well as the space between the plants, as for walking or thinking. It’s an interesting way of perceiving gardens. To gardens everywhere! Even if they are only in our minds, given it is still winter. I salute the gardens.
jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 6:42 PM

love these thoughts
BlueSkies
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 7:07 PM

A garden is what you make it...

My garden is definitely more than just the plants.  It's also the curving, sloping, trails, the unexpected hidden nooks, the sudden splashes of color with their delicate aromas, the lovely spots with scenic views and the many inviting resting areas.  

A garden is all about space, shape, color, smell and touch.  Something to delight and sooth all the senses.  A place you can get lost in and don't mind. 

MissHer
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 7:43 PM

Ahhhh..Spring..I can't wait to get outside. Check on the tulips..the lily's..the big fluffy sweet smelling peonies!! Yes! Garden center here I come!
Valencia
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2018 8:47 PM

jfkoc,

Well said! A garden is definitely like a beautiful sculpture. A garden reminds me of an amazing Creator-an unrivaled sculptor. Soft petals. Smooth leaves. Shades of hues.   I never tire of being in my own garden. The cycle of life is there. Hope is there. Joy is there. Renewal is there. Therapy is there.

Valencia

sharon11daugherty
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2018 11:24 AM

I love the life  and story of the flower garden. It is such a 'happy ever after'.

A seed.     Appears dead...not ...

The sprout begins,    Frail ...not

The leaf appears to welcome what will be ..

The bud.  Every smell, petal, texture, color is enclosed and unknown to us, yet  I wait.  Anticipation....remember that song?

I await my Peony every year... Ants come after the bud, they too, seem to await the arrival of every unfolded petal. I imagine they can't wait so they go in to take a peek!  I am not sure of their part, but they help in some way to well come the the unfolding of my most beautiful friends. The  sweet fragrance accompanies some,  while my pink beauties seem to hold only beauty as there fate.   Soon that dries to a crumble...the stalk that once was heavy with life hardens with age.      All dies for a time ....to await spring...oh, how I love the anticipation.