RSS Feed Print
Wish us luck!
markus8174
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2018 8:58 PM

Well friends, wish me and my DW luck. I have booked airfare, and eight days at our favorite resort in Fla. It's been over a year since our last excursion, and that one was challenging. This is a resort we both know well and love. We have traveled there a few times a year for the last 10 years or so. We know many of the staff by name. This is in keeping with my goal of giving my DW as much joy as we can have as long as she can still take pleasure from it. I know it's going to have rough spots, but she wanted to travel for her birthday one more time. I'm very afraid this is going to be our last trip, but I would never say that to her. If she gets just a little more fuzzy, but asks about traveling the answer is going to be " I'll have to check on the prices of airfare and hotels, but we are running a little tight right now." That is true enough for this trip, but I cannot say no when she still may be able to enjoy something that has provided us with so many good times in our marriage.
MissHer
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2018 9:05 PM

Marcus,

Have a wonderful safe trip. You're a good hubby. She is blessed to have you.  

ruthmendez
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2018 9:10 PM

Oh Markus, I really wish you both the best of times and luck.  Be careful and enjoy.  I hope I can start saving $$ myself for some trips in my future too.. :o)
jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2018 9:16 PM

Good for you. 

Please be certain she has ID on her!

When are you going? East or west coast?

BlossomsPack
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2018 5:49 AM

I hope she and you have a lovely travel.
Alexander_Green
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2018 6:15 AM

Good luck, Markus!
TiggerPooh
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2018 6:27 AM

Good luck on your trip, Markus!
ThisLittlePiggie
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2018 7:50 AM

I'm afraid the ship of taking trips has left the port for both my mom and my husband, and so I wish you lots of luck and safe journeys with your dear wife, Markus.
Sunrise-Addict
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2018 4:48 PM

I wish you luck too!
markus8174
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 12:21 AM

jfkoc wrote:

Good for you. 

Please be certain she has ID on her!

When are you going? East or west coast?

More the middle. I used to be a beach bum, but now I just sit by the pool, drinking margaritas and listening to Buffet or The Beach Boys.

Alexander_Green
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 8:22 AM

Are you going soon, or have you left already? It's nice to have something ahead to plan and anticipate.
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 11:56 AM

I took dementia-riddled Jeanne to Germany. Along with my helpful granddaughter. It was a challenge. But it worked. Gave Jeanne sort of a Last Hurrah. I let Jeanne do dangerous things she probably  shouldn't have done. But I wanted her to get every last ounce out of life. I try  to make the inconvenient convenient. Especially for a loved one. Anyway, it worked. Jeanne died a natural death. If that's what one calls Alzheimer's. --Jim
TiggerPooh
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 12:42 PM

Here is a traveling riddle. 

Travel a mile and I will change. Travel a million and I will end as I started.

Answer: an odometer.

What can travel around the world while staying in a corner?

Answer: a stamp.

Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 1:15 PM

Indeed, you are a riddled Tigger Pooh. Riddled with what. I don't yet know. --Jim
BlossomsPack
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 9:50 PM

markus8174 wrote:
Well friends, wish me and my DW luck. I have booked airfare, and eight days at our favorite resort in Fla. It's been over a year since our last excursion, and that one was challenging. This is a resort we both know well and love. We have traveled there a few times a year for the last 10 years or so. We know many of the staff by name. This is in keeping with my goal of giving my DW as much joy as we can have as long as she can still take pleasure from it. I know it's going to have rough spots, but she wanted to travel for her birthday one more time. I'm very afraid this is going to be our last trip, but I would never say that to her. If she gets just a little more fuzzy, but asks about traveling the answer is going to be " I'll have to check on the prices of airfare and hotels, but we are running a little tight right now." That is true enough for this trip, but I cannot say no when she still may be able to enjoy something that has provided us with so many good times in our marriage.

It's nice to have a travel to look forward to. I admit I no longer look forward to traveling with my husband as it seems like so much planning for me and there are so many unexpected factors in my husband's behavior these days that I prefer being around very predictable people and schedule with him.
markus8174
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 1:16 PM

BlossomsPack wrote:

It's nice to have a travel to look forward to. I admit I no longer look forward to traveling with my husband as it seems like so much planning for me and there are so many unexpected factors in my husband's behavior these days that I prefer being around very predictable people and schedule with him.

Yes, that is where I see us heading by this summer. For the time, my DW is still lucid and mostly appropriate in public, but her AD is progressing faster this year than it has in months past. I'm afraid the benefits we have been getting from the Namenda, and Aricept are giving out and the cliff to stage 5 is just around the corner.

BlossomsPack
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 1:42 PM

markus8174 wrote:
BlossomsPack wrote:

Yes, that is where I see us heading by this summer. For the time, my DW is still lucid and mostly appropriate in public, but her AD is progressing faster this year than it has in months past. I'm afraid the benefits we have been getting from the Namenda, and Aricept are giving out and the cliff to stage 5 is just around the corner.

Still, it's great to take a trip. I hope you have a nice time. Don't think about the future too much, just enjoy the present. 

markus8174
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 6:50 PM

BlossomsPack wrote:

Still, it's great to take a trip. I hope you have a nice time. Don't think about the future too much, just enjoy the present. 

That is really all we have -the present. I guess that is the one thing that makes me saddest about this illness; we spent our lives planning for when I could retire and we could really enjoy life together. Now, medical costs are eating up our savings like members of a weight-watchers convention at an all-you-ca-eat buffet. My health is mediocre, and my DW of almost 35 years isn't likely to know it when we cross 40 years together. Let that be a lesson to all the youngsters in our world. Enjoy life now, tomorrow isn't going to offer any less challenges, and most likely more to enjoying the treasure of each day. I tell my daughters and grandchildren this almost every time I see them.(they probably think I have caught AD from Gram as often as I repeat my advise).

ThisLittlePiggie
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2018 8:33 AM

markus8174 wrote:
BlossomsPack wrote:

That is really all we have -the present. I guess that is the one thing that makes me saddest about this illness; we spent our lives planning for when I could retire and we could really enjoy life together. Now, medical costs are eating up our savings like members of a weight-watchers convention at an all-you-ca-eat buffet. My health is mediocre, and my DW of almost 35 years isn't likely to know it when we cross 40 years together. Let that be a lesson to all the youngsters in our world. Enjoy life now, tomorrow isn't going to offer any less challenges, and most likely more to enjoying the treasure of each day. I tell my daughters and grandchildren this almost every time I see them.(they probably think I have caught AD from Gram as often as I repeat my advise).

Markus, I liked your quote, "medical costs are eating up our savings like members of a weight-watchers convention at an all-you-can-eat buffet." Truer words were never spoken. And you could say it again, I wouldn't get tired of hearing it, the statement that, "Enjoy life now, tomorrow isn't going to offer any less challenges, and most likely more to enjoying the treasure of each day." I wouldn't even accuse you of catching AD. 

Sunrise-Addict
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2018 11:28 AM

With your positive attitude, I'm sure you'll have a nice trip.
Alexander_Green
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2018 3:29 AM

Speaking as a person with dementia, it will be helpful for your wife if the routines are simple and not too many demands on the vacation.
Sunrise-Addict
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2018 1:13 AM

markus, How was your trip?
BlossomsPack
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2018 12:50 PM

Hope you are having a nice trip!
markus8174
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 2:40 PM

Well, we are back. My DW said she had a good time, but it is difficult to be sure. Hopefully she will only remember the good moments of the trip, not the crazy ones. I fear this was our last trip. AD has stolen one more thing from us that was so much a part of our life. The stress of travel is too much for my DW, and I fear for her safety if we were to try another trip. Not only does she have a tendency to wander, and a very sharp temper when she is feeling stressed, I vowed to be married to her "till death do us part",  and if I have to live through that much emotional outburst again, I'm going to have to kill her. After all, I did promise on the alter that only death would part us.
ruthmendez
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 3:03 PM

hi Markus. I'm glad you two enjoyed some of the trip, at least. Hang in there, and consider whatever options or resources you can use. You need to breathe and care for yourself too. Don't forget or ignore yourself completely.
ruthmendez
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 3:05 PM

and you wouldn't be breaking a vow because you'll always be there for her in your own way....
BlossomsPack
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 5:34 PM

markus, It’s great you both went on the trip. Hang in there with coping— it’s going to be ok even though it’s not ok.