RSS Feed Print
What calms you?
Andrew60
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:07 PM

I have been a runner for the past 40 years. I have raced 5ks, 10ks, marathons, and a 30 mile race. I use to run everyday, but now 5-6 days a week. Im very rigid in my schedule, and seldom allow anything to cause me to miss my early morning runs. I calculated once based on my many years of running logs, I have ran the equivalent of just short of 2 times around the circumference of the earth. That may seem like a long distance, but probably 99 percent of every mile was enjoyable.

While running, its the most normal I can still feel. I dont fret about cognitive issues, politics, personal issues, I just try and clear my mind, and enjoy the calmness I feel through my running. Sometimes, I pray, other times I try and mentally solve the worlds problems, but mostly, relax, and enjoy the scenery. 

We travelled 3 times from the east to the west coast and back, driving my big truck, pulling our 5th wheel RV. Every day before we drove another 300 miles or so, I would get up early, and enjoy new scenery, and start my day off feeling no stress, totally calm.

What allows you to reach the point where you feel totaly relaxed, perfectly calm?

chrisp1653
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 1:14 PM

Spending time in my garage workshop. Sorting through hardware, or working on some project. Those are precious moments for me nowadays.
ruthmendez
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 1:23 PM

I used to like riding my bike along the boardwalk at the beach, to walking along the beach (at night or day), to just lying lazily at the beach, reading a book or sleeping.

Now, stroll along the beach pushing dad, or just renting a good movie Friday or Saturday nights.....sleeping....long hours.

Andrew60
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2018 9:56 AM

Even on my running days, by later afternoon, early evening, I might feel some stress. When this happens, my headphones will go on, listening to all types of music. As a teenager, I could not get enough of music, but for the next 40 years, music had a very small place in my life. Since being DX with MCI, I have discovered once again the calmness of being in my home office, comfortable recliner, headphones blaring away to Simon and Garfunkle, Joe Cocker, or simply random music. My wife generally leaves me alone when I have on the headphones, and Im thankful for that, as it does not take long for me to become calm. Studying my bible also has the same affect, but unfortunately there are many days where its hard to retain what Im reading. Thankfully, because of my years of studying, mostly what I read is a refresher.

Be calm, why stress over what you cant control? Like a boxer, I try to roll with the punches, and keep moving forward.

ruthmendez
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2018 4:13 PM

Andrew60 wrote:

...and keep moving forward.

Yes!  Keep Going!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqcfSJxAahc

MrToad
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2018 5:17 PM

Writing. That’s what I used for many years as an escape. Posting on these boards, and keeping a private journal was just a small part of it, because that was all still dealing with the stressful subject at hand. I needed to write about  something different. And I knew that even better than just getting relief from the stress of caring for the love of my live was to engage in some sort of pleasantly challenging alternative intellectual task (i.e. something more ambitious than watching HGTV).

So I created an alternative for myself: I crafted a thoroughly researched alternative history. I wrote a fictional history of the aftermath of WWII.  Over several years, in the small hours of the morning and late night, when Kathleen was safely asleep, I escaped into doing serious, detailed historical research into what really happened, what leaders like Truman, Eisenhower and Stalin really did and said in 1945 and thereafter. I borrowed stacks of books and amassed a thick pile of notes. Then I grafted the actual historical record  onto a single counterfactual premise: what if the bomb tested in New Mexico in August 1945 had fizzled?  Sure, the Allies would still have won, but the end of the war would have played out surprisingly differently. In my telling, for example, Korea ends up undivided, there’s a North Japan to contend with, and the Viet Nam war is fought  very differently, under a different President.

Although the book is all but done, it may well never see the publishing light of day. Nevertheless it fulfilled its purpose of providing me a calming, stress-relieving escape that enabled me to care better for Kathleen.   

ruthmendez
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 2:18 PM

Staying away from my sister.  She yakety yak too much.  Yakety...yak yak YAK!!! Like a chicken.

chrisp1653
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 4:42 PM

Oh yeah ! There is nothing calming about a chicken, except maybe one that has been fully cooked.

llee08032
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2018 8:58 AM

Andrew,

I miss the calming effect of running. Running and praying and meditating at the same time. Years later I can still feel some of the benefits in my body and my heart. I remember feeling at one with God and nature and then that surge of energy and feeling of empowerment that comes over you which is how I recall the runner's high. There is nothing like it in the world. 

llee08032
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2018 9:13 AM

And writing. Writing about running...

Into the 4th mile

lungs seizing

pain pounding

reverberating...

my golden dog in perfect step at my side

the second wind comes

blows through my hair

we run a blur around the park

connecting to the cemetery

greeting

stones with names

with persons attached 

Andrew60
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2018 1:12 PM

LLee - Yes, runners high is great. This morning I had a nice 6 mile run, went to the gym and then walked the dog, all very calming. I feel great today. My only possible stress will be watching the Dodger Baseball game today. Great thing about remote controls, if the game gets stressful, click, change the channel, check back later.

Physically Im in great shape, cognitively not so great.

Andrew60
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2018 3:12 PM

Great start to my all day baseball marathon. Milwaukee beat the Cubs. Neither are my teams, but I cant stand the Cubs because they are from Chicago (sorry Jim). In my newly gained paranoia, I cant stand any big city, especially one that is like the old wild west with shootouts the norm. I do allow one exception, and thats rooting for my Dodgers, and only because I grew up one hour from Dodger stadium. However, I would never go anywhere near LA.

Send out a search party if Im not here again soon because I have a day long date with my big screen TV and recliner. Now that is calming.

ruthmendez
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2018 5:03 PM

Staying out of trouble.....calms me.
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, October 2, 2018 10:29 AM

Being and feeling alive. Can't beat it. An everyday sensation. --Jim
Andrew60
Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2018 9:41 AM

Taking my young granddaughter to the park everyday, and watch her running around, enjoying being a kid. That is very calming for me.
Somethingelsa
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 3:18 PM

ruthmendez I am laughing so hard at your post where you say staying away from your sister and yackety yak. I feel so guilty when I don’t pick up the phone sometimes when I see its my sister . Each call can be over an hour and I’d rather read or just veg if I have that precious time . Then when we do talk it is definitely yackety yak !!! If we speak twice a week at 60 minutes each call that’s 120 minutes . Divided by 7 that’s approx 17 minutes . So isn’t 17 minutes a day enough time to talk on the phone to your sister ?
ruthmendez
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 3:58 PM

Somethingelsa wrote:
... If we speak twice a week at 60 minutes each call that’s 120 minutes . Divided by 7 that’s approx 17 minutes . So isn’t 17 minutes a day enough time to talk on the phone to your sister ?
HAHA!  I wouldn't risk it.  Those 17 min. could easily turn into 1 full hour again.  Then we got 1 hr per day of talking, 7 days, Noooo!  

Somethingelsa
Posted: Friday, October 5, 2018 11:14 AM

You are so right !! Thanks for setting me straight .
Andrew60
Posted: Sunday, October 7, 2018 6:53 PM

Spending quality time with my dog. He truly is a comfort dog. When Im having a fuzzy head day, leaning back in my recliner with the dog is very calming. Dogs dont care about any opinions on politics, or any world veiws, all they want is a nice home, with caring owners. No matter how bad my day may be going, Buddy will always wag his tail when I look his way.
jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, October 7, 2018 7:09 PM

studying
Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, October 7, 2018 8:38 PM

Reading everyone's words of wisdom. Keeps me calm. --Jim

Space within
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 9:58 PM

Listening to Pema  Chodron's talks on YouTube 

Listening to Jason Stephenson 's meditations on you tube 

Listening to music, or just listening to my breathing and picturing it flow in and out of my body.

chrisp1653
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 11:09 PM

Since taking up the 24 / 7 duty as Barbara's caregiver, my freedom to go places has been severely curtailed, and so, with a heavy heart, I must admit that I am learning to enjoy yard work.
Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2018 1:11 AM

Andrew60 wrote:
Spending quality time with my dog. He truly is a comfort dog. When Im having a fuzzy head day, leaning back in my recliner with the dog is very calming. Dogs dont care about any opinions on politics, or any world veiws, all they want is a nice home, with caring owners. No matter how bad my day may be going, Buddy will always wag his tail when I look his way.

Spend more time with Buddy, Andy. I'll write to you privately. In an effort to buoy your spirits. Buddy and I can work magic. You have both of us to fall back on. Your wife, too. And a grand kid.  You have a lot going for you. Not least is your remarkable faith. Focus on what you've got. It's a lot more than most people, you know. You'll be OK. --Jim

MissHer
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2018 1:35 AM

I listen to sermons on ,"Sermon Audio". It's a nice break from the troubling world affairs.
MrsGr8shpr
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2019 7:17 PM

Hi to those on this thread that I know and those that I don’t know yet!

The oddest thing calms me and that is fiddling with pictures!  Our dear grands occupy a lot of my time in pictures creating “masterpieces” (lol not but I try!) For me, it is like painting!