RSS Feed Print
New drug trial- Seeks to slow or stop Alzheimers
Djones2019
Posted: Sunday, January 6, 2019 8:51 PM

Troriluzole is a drug that modulates glutamate protecting against neuron loss.

"T2 Protect AD" study is testing people ages 50 to 85 in more than 30 cities.

For more information google: "T2 Protect AD" or Troriluzole to find out more about the trial
 drug study.

The drug Troriluzole may be beneficial in improving  symptoms and or slowing progression of Alzheimers.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2019 7:25 PM

I will just cut and paste what I wrote on the caregiver's forum:

I did not realize it until this evening, but I have been following this drug for awhile.

"Riluzole, the active ingredient of troriluzole and other similar drugs, is a neuroprotectant - it alters chemical pathways in the brain to prevent the buildup of glutamate, a neurotransmitter that's been implicated in the cellular dysfunction associated with neurodegenerative diseases."

Riluzole inhibits protein kinase C activation and the subsequent release of glutamate through NMDA receptors.  High levels of glutamate are neurotoxic to the brain through the production of oxidants.

Here are the two critical connected pathways in Alzheimer's disease:

"Malinow’s team found that when mice are missing the PKC alpha gene, neurons functioned normally, even when amyloid beta was present. Then, when they restored PKC alpha, amyloid beta once again impaired neuronal function. In other words, amyloid beta doesn’t inhibit brain function unless PKC alpha is active." [the same is true for all other PKC alpha activators].

"We suggest that oxidative stress mediated through NMDAR and their interaction with other molecules might be a driving force for tau hyperphosphorylation and synapse dysfunction. Thus, understanding the oxidative stress mechanism and degenerating synapses is crucial for the development of therapeutic strategies designed to prevent AD pathogenesis."

This drug may help early in Alzheimer's disease when protein kinase C activity remains high.