RSS Feed Print
In the heat of the moment..
Eric L
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 12:09 PM

Ever have those times when you are super frustrated in the heat of the moment but when you look back on it, it's kind of funny?

Yesterday afternoon, my MIL decided that she needed to go home because her mother was expecting her. Her mother passed when my wife was a senior in high school 20+ years ago and of course, she is at "home". More often than not, we can tell her that she's staying with us for dinner and it usually calms her. Nothing worked at all yesterday. She was trying to escape and was cussing and yelling at me to no end.

I know it is a very distressing situation for her (and really, for all of us) when this stuff happens. But man, some of the stuff she said to me was hilarious. She decided that she was going to leave our house and tried to get out the back door. We have french doors and she was fiddling with the side that doesn't open. She couldn't get the door open and she looked right at me and said "This is some mean trick you're playing right now. You've made all the doors not work so I can't leave".
MissHer
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 4:03 PM

Darn you, Eric. Did you remove the doorknobs and plug the holes?   Yes, things can be funny, esp to us who aren't there.
eaglemom
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 8:22 AM

What is the old saying? Your laughing instead of crying. Oh the things our LO's say.

eagle

2ckelly1
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 11:05 AM

Hee, hee, hee!

I recently had a moment of levity too. Growing up Mom would have Frank Sinatra playing away on the record player. I knew every lyric and still do. Good memories of carefree times for all. I found the vinyl records and set up a little turntable in her place. Usually put a record on while preparing breakfast. The other day Mom exclaimed that "the man singing in those songs is not who you think he is. He is an impostor trying to take money from people!". I gently queried her to try to figure out why Frank is such a bad man now. Later I realized that I had left the TV on PBS all night when they had a Frank Sinatra pledge drive. 
I thought falling asleep with Frank would be a good thing. Now poor Frank is not welcome in the home. Who knew?! 

Lifechg916
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 11:06 AM

I am an adult caregiver assisting my elderly mother and father who has vascular dementia.  Diagnosed 2016 and progressing very quickly we are stage 5 already.

My father told my mom last night that having his driver's license taken away was a huge plot to kill him.  He said whatever game my mother is playing is working.  He's already feeling trapped so could he have some dessert.

He has some doozies lately......we've started tracking the full moon cycle and things get really delusional for him about a week before the full moon.  Full moon this month is 4/19/19.

MissHer
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 11:54 AM

My stepdad had LBD. One day while sitting with him he suddenly blurted out. "Do you know what happened to Peanuts! He took off one day and he worked for the government!" 

(Peanuts was an old chihuahua ) I had too get up from my seat because I was laughing so hard (inside) that tears were streaming down my face. lol

Jeweltcat
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 3:14 PM

I always tell myself "join their journey" when my mother asks me odd things. I used to feel guilty "lying" to her, but it seems better to try to tell her something that is helpful or soothing to her. Yes, funny and tragic at the same time. I'm never quite sure what to say, but I tell myself it is just good to be in the moment with her.
zauberflote
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 9:14 PM

My mom hasn’t come out with anything quite so funny, but if she did I would run with it! I could have us both in stitches with a pet running off to work for the gummint. She’s passed me her love of the ridiculous, and that helps me give her pleasure, with no mourning on my part. This is my mom. She hasn’t actually changed who she is. That may indeed come, but for now she is still the same Mom she was, only with some disabilities. Her spirit remains bright. That’s cause for joy.
C D
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2019 12:17 PM

Try to find the levity in things, my dad was mad at my husband told him, You think you run the show but I am the fn boss. He loves to cuss now, he never used to.
Debmchat
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2019 8:31 PM

I take care of my dad and live in his house. I'll never forget when my older brother was visiting and my dad asked "who's in charge here"? I said, "I am!" 

Shocked me that it was true.

Eric L
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2019 8:38 PM

The other day (not the day i played a trick on her), she told me she was going to ‘call the authorities’ because I was ‘holding her captive’ and then proceeded to try and use a pencil box one of the kids left on the counter to place her call.